Author Topic: Colin Kaepernick  (Read 7566 times)

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Colin Kaepernick
« Reply #280 on: October 23, 2016, 10:50:49 AM »
Again we see that the owners are willing not to do the right thing.  It's all about their image, their power and yet, they look like fools in the end. 

Has the league done the the right thing since Goodell came to power?
“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2016, 11:00:42 AM »
Eh, I know you Bostonians have an axe to grind with Goodell :P, but you can't put this on him.  Remember, he works for the owners, not the other way around, so crap like that says more about the owners than it does the commissioner.

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: October 23, 2016, 11:39:24 AM »
True but why did this crap not happen with the other Commissioners?  Maybe, just maybe they held these idiot owners in check while Goodell is just their puppet.
“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: October 23, 2016, 12:31:58 PM »
I'm not posting this to "prove" anything, but it's interesting to look back to 2002:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #284 on: October 23, 2016, 01:45:51 PM »
Oh yes I remember that one time TO complained about getting attention.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2016, 12:01:21 AM »
Oh yes I remember that one time TO complained about getting attention.
Yes, that one time. :lol

But I think it's clear that the NFL has made very little progress when it comes to addressing domestic violence in the 14 years since that was published.

Offline Prog Snob

• As above, so below
« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2016, 01:07:26 AM »
There needs to be some kind of repercussion(s) to get the message across.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: October 24, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »
Kind of getting this thread offtrack, but here's a pretty interesting (and also very depressing) piece on why harsh, zero-tolerance penalties don't actually accomplish anything regarding domestic violence.

This grandstanding, no matter how well-intentioned, hasn’t made the complicated and life-threatening problem of domestic violence any less dangerous to the people who live with it. What’s more, if leagues were to take up these suggestions, it would almost certainly make the problem worse. What feels good and what is right, especially in cases of domestic violence, are very different things. Zero-tolerance and similar get-tough penalties haven’t worked when used in the criminal-justice system. Expecting them to work in sports would be, at best, naïve.

Mandatory arrest policies can make victims less likely to call police for help. Mandatory sentencing policies don’t work. And mandatory prosecution policies too often result in victims being thrown in jail, turning victims of domestic violence into victims of state violence as well. Take the case of a Seminole County woman refused to testify against her husband—who choked her, stabbed a staircase with a knife, and pushed her into a microwave, according to police—because the last time she pursued charges against him he lost his job.

http://deadspin.com/zero-tolerance-for-domestic-violence-will-only-make-it-1787428167

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »
To the people doing the grandstanding, their ego is always more important than any victims. We saw that with Janay Rice.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #289 on: October 24, 2016, 02:48:25 PM »
I just think it's odd that we expect sports teams to police and punish conduct that happens in private, away from the facility.  Not that domestic violence shouldn't be taken very seriously and shouldn't be harshly punished.  It should.  But why are we putting that on the employer?  I've never understood that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2016, 03:01:07 PM »
I just think it's odd that we expect sports teams to police and punish conduct that happens in private, away from the facility.  Not that domestic violence shouldn't be taken very seriously and shouldn't be harshly punished.  It should.  But why are we putting that on the employer?  I've never understood that.

From this, serious question, if any of us were charged with domestic abuse, would we lose our jobs?  I think I might lose mine if it were a felony abuse charge, but not a misdemeanor charge. 

The argument I'd guess towards the NFL is that it is very much in the public spot light where my job (and I assume most here) is not.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2016, 03:03:18 PM »
From this, serious question, if any of us were charged with domestic abuse, would we lose our jobs? 

Nope.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2016, 03:31:45 PM »

That's actually a good question.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2016, 05:57:57 PM »
From this, serious question, if any of us were charged with domestic abuse, would we lose our jobs? 

Nope.

I'd think that it would depend on the person's profession. If it was a prison guard that was required to carry a firearm then yes, I think that they would lose their job. Brady bill ect. ect...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2016, 06:04:57 PM »
Is there clauses in all players contract for personal conduct?  If so that could answer the question.   I don't personally know.

Online PowerSlave

« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »
Is there clauses in all players contract for personal conduct?  If so that could answer the question.   I don't personally know.

I think that it's part of the collective bargaining agreement between the league (owners) and the player's union.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Prog Snob

• As above, so below
« Reply #296 on: October 24, 2016, 08:25:36 PM »

From this, serious question, if any of us were charged with domestic abuse, would we lose our jobs?  I think I might lose mine if it were a felony abuse charge, but not a misdemeanor charge. 

The argument I'd guess towards the NFL is that it is very much in the public spot light where my job (and I assume most here) is not.

To answer the question, I might lose my job. Transit is really strict with that. When I had my DUI/reckless driving incident last year, they were awaiting the outcome of the trial to see what they were going to do with me.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #297 on: November 09, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »
Just saw this and figured it was relevant to our discussions here:  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/after-starting-protest-of-status-quo-colin-kaepernick-didnt-vote-150157168.html

Don't know if anyone has any strong feelings one way or the other, but feel free to comment.

To me, even though I have never really agreed with his protest at all, I don't have a problem with him not voting.  I mean, he came right out and said a few months back that he thought both candidates were part of the bigger problem and he could not endorse either one.  So declining to vote for them, including not voting for a third party that isn't going to win anyway or who might not match his ideals, as a form of his continued protest doesn't bother me in the slightest.  I do tend to view the right to vote as not only a right, but an obligation.  However, I also firmly believe and support the viewpoint that exercising that obligation by consciously declining to vote, either on principle or because one does not feel prepared to cast an informed ballot in a particular election, as being perfectly legitimate.  Now if he didn't do it out of sheer laziness or something stupid like that, I think that would undermine his self-appointed stance as a social warrior in my mind.  But I don't get the sense that that is the case.  Anyhow...

tldnr:  I think he is a tool, but I have no issue with this.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #298 on: November 09, 2016, 05:38:31 PM »
My only question is WTF would make him happy?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: November 09, 2016, 05:40:34 PM »
I agree with bosk1. He has made it clear for some time that he is deeply disappointed with both candidates--a stance many here agree with. His not voting was a conscious, deliberate choice. I thought it was worth voting for whom I saw as the lesser of two evils, but he doesn't agree with that, and he's certainly entitled to his opinion. I do think there were likely down ballot races and initiatives worth voting for, though. If his voting address is in California (which it may not be), there were definitely some high profile propositions.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #300 on: November 10, 2016, 06:07:31 AM »
Just saw this and figured it was relevant to our discussions here:  http://sports.yahoo.com/news/after-starting-protest-of-status-quo-colin-kaepernick-didnt-vote-150157168.html

Don't know if anyone has any strong feelings one way or the other, but feel free to comment.

*snip*

tldnr:  I think he is a tool, but I have no issue with this.

Where's he registered to vote? Cali? If anything, he should have been in a booth at least voting yes on legalization for the sake of the black community. This whole thing has been rooted in race with him and how the black community interacts with police. Go vote and give the cops one less thing to harrass your people about.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
« Reply #301 on: November 14, 2016, 12:21:08 PM »
Following up:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/49ers-quarterback-colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-didnt-vote-last-tuesday-172102897.html

I disagree, but I get it.  I also think that, regardless about how he feels about candidates themselves, he can still vote on a lot of the local issues that are on the ballot.  I don't think that is necessarily taking part in the "system of oppression" as he calls it.  But whatever.  Again, since it appears he at least thought the decision through and made a conscious choice, I can't fault him for that, and I don't think anyone else should either.

EDIT:  @Chino, I am pretty sure he is registered in Cali.  He grew up here, still considered it "home" when he was in college in Reno, and then came back to Cali to play for the 49ers right after college, and I am not aware of him having a home somewhere else.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2017, 08:10:08 PM »
More players are not standing for the anthem.   And something occurred to me.

People are complaining that they are "protesting while on the clock"....and...."If I were protesting on my companies time I would get fired"

I'm sorry.   What workplace *requires* a nationalistic ritual as a prerequisite for employment?   Can you imagine the lawsuits if Microsoft told every single employee that they had to take part in the pledge of allegiance every morning or get fired?   

The fact is, we did away with that demand in schools around WWII because it started to occur to everyone that forcing nationalism on people ran completely opposite of the freedoms the US stood for, and in fact....forced nationalism was EXACTLY one of the fundamentals they were fighting against. 

So no.   I don't even think this qualifies as a "protest".   It certainly breaks with tradition.   But it is just not participating in forced nationalism.   Which is something the US doesn't allow anyway.   The supreme court pretty much decided that 70 years ago.   Forced nationalism goes against every basic human right I can think of.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2017, 08:20:43 PM »
Yep, it's not a big deal at all now, not that it ever should have been.  The media will run with it in regards to keeping the Kaepernick story alive, but that is merely for the people who love to be outraged about something, anything