Author Topic: Colin Kaepernick  (Read 10648 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
Re: Colin Kaepernick
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2016, 11:03:53 PM »
Then maybe you should be more respectful of that or go over there yourself and show you give a shit...dude.

Offline TL

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2016, 11:06:31 PM »
Then maybe you should be more respectful of that or go over there yourself and show you give a shit...dude.
I care about the freedom those combatants fought for more than some silly symbolism.

(Also, living in the city I do, I personally know a lot of people who have actually served in the middle east. They don't give a shit either if someone stands for an anthem).

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2016, 11:10:58 PM »
I care about the freedom those combatants fought for more than some silly symbolism.

(Also, living in the city I do, I personally know a lot of people who have actually served in the middle east. They don't give a shit either if someone stands for an anthem).

It's a lot more than "silly symbolism" to people, especially for those who it hits right at home.

Offline TL

« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2016, 11:15:57 PM »

It's a lot more than "silly symbolism" to people, especially for those who it hits right at home.
1) Again, I'd like to point out that I know veterans who share this view.
2) Protest that you disagree with does not automatically mean disrespect. In fact, many veterans have voiced their approval, as they have fought for the right fro people to have these disagreements.

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2016, 11:19:59 PM »

2) Protest that you disagree with does not automatically mean disrespect. In fact, many veterans have voiced their approval, as they have fought for the right fro people to have these disagreements.

So what. Just because some share that view doesn't make it right. Up until recent times, this was never contested. Now some dopey overpaid jock sits and it's suddenly a problem for people to get off their asses and show respect. Fuck that. If I saw anyone sitting, I would definitely have something to say to them, and I'd have plenty of people behind me.

Offline TL

« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2016, 11:24:06 PM »

So what. Just because some share that view doesn't make it right. Up until recent times, this was never contested. Now some dopey overpaid jock sits and it's suddenly a problem for people to get off their asses and show respect. Fuck that. If I saw anyone sitting, I would definitely have something to say to them, and I'd have plenty of people behind me.
It's legitimately weird that you care so much if some over paid jock stood or sat. Why do you even care? If your country is actually great, should that even matter? No. That's hilarious insecurity, honestly.  :lol
I don't care what people do during my country's anthem, because I don't crave that childish validation.

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2016, 11:26:57 PM »

It's legitimately weird that you care so much if some over paid jock stood or sat. Why do you even care? If your country is actually great, should that even matter? No. That's hilarious insecurity, honestly.  :lol
I don't care what people do during my country's anthem, because I don't crave that childish validation.

Insecurity? Childish validation? Wow, you're just a snarky little shit.

Offline TL

« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »

Insecurity? Childish validation? Wow, you're just a snarky little shit.
Bold mature response! Keep fighting that good fight!

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2016, 11:29:40 PM »
Yes, because accusing me of insecurity and needing a childish validation was filled with intelligence.  :lol 

Offline TL

« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2016, 11:32:07 PM »
Keep putting up those walls. I want all the best for your country, but that won't happen if you're perpetually afraid of outsiders.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2016, 11:36:53 PM »

Jeez, what's what the condescending attitude?

What you want during your country's national anthem is irrelevant.

And I say that as someone who has defended Kaepernick's right to not stand. 

But you are coming off very poorly here.

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2016, 03:42:03 AM »
I do not agree with Kap sitting during the national anthem.   I do agree  he has the right to do so.  It's the freedoms so many others have fought for. 

I bitched about rap starts writing about T&A as a kid and not the inequality that very few rap stars did so it would be hypocritical of me now oder Kap for using his celebrity this way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Skeever

« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2016, 11:30:09 AM »
We need to stop pretending that not honoring the national anthem is the same thing as dishonoring fallen troops. It's not, and never has been. Some people feel that standing and singing the anthem helps them honor fallen troops, but that has never been the anthem's main purpose. And frankly I feel like there are much better ways you could be honoring fallen soldiers.

Bullying people into standing for the anthem by hanging dead soldiers over the heads is NOT promoting the freedoms those troops fought for. Kaep and others want to protest the anthem. It's not about the troops. It's about drawing attention to other things that are going on in the country. People who are throwing "hey! they're insulting the troops!" into the mix are simply moving the goalposts.

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2016, 01:48:15 PM »
Yes, good for him. He must be so proud. All he did was create something that polarized the nation. He's no different from people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. How about instead of doing something that splits the nation, maybe he should do something that brings people together? He did nothing that some snarky teenager couldn't do.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2016, 03:52:24 PM »
Yes, good for him. He must be so proud. All he did was create something that polarized the nation. He's no different from people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. How about instead of doing something that splits the nation, maybe he should do something that brings people together? He did nothing that some snarky teenager couldn't do.

I personally think a reason it is so polarizing is because people like you overreact with such hatred and drama to a situation that simply doesn't deserve it. 
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2016, 04:15:52 PM »

I personally think a reason it is so polarizing is because people like you overreact with such hatred and drama to a situation that simply doesn't deserve it.

This is hatred? You haven't seen hatred or vitriol. You make comments like that and it makes you sound hypocritical. So, it's okay for this jockass to use free speech to do what he wants, but if someone criticizes him they're filled with hatred and drama?  :lol 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »

This is hatred? You haven't seen hatred or vitriol. You make comments like that and it makes you sound hypocritical. So, it's okay for this jockass to use free speech to do what he wants, but if someone criticizes him they're filled with hatred and drama?  :lol

No, criticizing him does not make your post full of hate.  The content and nature of your post does.  And I never said anyone doesn't have the right to disagree with him. What I said was the manner many disagree and post hate is fuel for polarization.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2016, 04:32:17 PM »

No, criticizing him does not make your post full of hate.  The content and nature of your post does.  And I never said anyone doesn't have the right to disagree with him. What I said was the manner many disagree and post hate is fuel for polarization.

No, there's no hatred in my post. Like I said, again, you haven't seen hatred or vitriol. You would know. Maybe you're just highly sensitive to an opposing opinion, dearie.  ;)

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2016, 04:46:31 PM »

No, there's no hatred in my post. Like I said, again, you haven't seen hatred or vitriol. You would know. Maybe you're just highly sensitive to an opposing opinion, dearie.  ;)

Lol.  No, I love opposing opinions posted with class, respect, and intelligence.  They make me think about the opposing positions by using a well crafted position and no drama.  I don't really have a lot of respect for posts crafted clearly with the primary purpose to create drama or a reaction, to express anger or distaste with little to no substance.  I guess I am a bit sensitive to those types of posts, even if I agree with the base position....dearie.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »

Lol.  No, I love opposing opinions posted with class, respect, and intelligence.  They make me think about the opposing positions by using a well crafted position and no drama.  I don't really have a lot of respect for posts crafted clearly with the primary purpose to create drama or a reaction, to express anger or distaste with little to no substance.  I guess I am a bit sensitive to those types of posts, even if I agree with the base position....dearie.

Creating drama or a reaction? You mean something like intentionally kneeling during the National Anthem knowing it would create a stir in the media? As if we don't have enough problems, this ego maniac decided he needed to be an attention whore. It's all so convenient. You criticize the very fabric of the person whose actions you're defending. If you're searching for drama and incendiary devices in my words, and finding them, your perception needs a realignment.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »

Creating drama or a reaction? You mean something like intentionally sitting during the National Anthem knowing it would create a stir in the media? As if we don't have enough problems, this ego maniac decided he needed to be an attention whore. It's all so convenient. You criticize the very fabric of the person whose actions you're defending. If you're searching for drama and incendiary devices in my words, and finding them, your perception needs a realignment.

Comparing his to Sharpton, Jackson, a snarky teenager, and saying he is a problem in this country seems pretty dramatic to me.

If you think any of what he did is an actual problem in this country, what needs realignment might be your priorities dearie.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 05:09:33 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »

Creating drama or a reaction? You mean something like intentionally sitting during the National Anthem knowing it would create a stir in the media? As if we don't have enough problems, this ego maniac decided he needed to be an attention whore. It's all so convenient. You criticize the very fabric of the person whose actions you're defending. If you're searching for drama and incendiary devices in my words, and finding them, your perception needs a realignment.

Comparing his to Sharpton, Jackson, a snarky teenager, and saying he is a problem in this country seems pretty dramatic to me.

If you think any of what he did is an actual problem in this country, what needs realignment might be your priorities dearie.

My priorities are perfectly fine. A self-absorbed athlete leading a whole group of mindless others along his media crusade is not something to lose sleep over, but it does make you think about how easily people are swayed. Like I said many pages ago, the only reason this is being made into such a big deal is because of who he is. If this is some random schmuck pulling this brazen stunt, nobody would even give a shit.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2016, 05:28:46 PM »

My priorities are perfectly fine. A self-absorbed athlete leading a whole group of mindless others along his media crusade is not something to lose sleep over, but it does make you think about how easily people are swayed. Like I said many pages ago, the only reason this is being made into such a big deal is because of who he is. If this is some random schmuck pulling this brazen stunt, nobody would even give a shit.

It's all about your perception and biases.  While your view is shared by many, there is an equally valid opposing view.  One where he is supported to do what is within his rights, and perhaps even his duty as a celebrity/athlete, to draw attention to what he believes is a worthy cause.  i find it sad people are getting so upset over this, taking it personally, and even raising it to the absurd level of it being some sort of national problem.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2016, 06:08:11 PM »
I don't disagree that it's well within his rights but I could name a shitload of things that are legal yet really crappy things to do. You're not going to win this debate with that argument. Personally, I think he's a shithead for doing what he did. There are plenty of other ways to protest how "horrible" and "racist" this country is. Bah, whatever. He's too dimwitted to think that way though. And now I'm bored. He's just a low life and that's all there is too it.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2016, 06:33:44 PM »
Between his initial $1 million, his cut of his increased jersey sales (which I've seen estimated around $500,000), and his team owner's recent donations, he's raised $2.5 million for charity. And this doesn't include what any of his colleagues joining him and his many new followers around the country are doing in their communities. What a low life.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #200 on: September 18, 2016, 06:40:09 PM »
I do not agree with Kap sitting during the national anthem.   I do agree  he has the right to do so.   

He should do it on his own time. Apparently the NFL and teams are OK with this because they are afraid of a PC shit storm, but now we have highschoolers kneeling? WTF? And what about the peer pressure of "not being black enough" if you stand? It's coming.

Can't wait to see the NBA. Adam Silver will probably be kneeling himself.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #201 on: September 18, 2016, 06:41:53 PM »
I do not agree with Kap sitting during the national anthem.   I do agree  he has the right to do so.   

He should do it on his own time. Apparently the NFL and teams are OK with this because they are afraid of a PC shit storm, but now we have highschoolers kneeling? WTF? And what about the peer pressure of "not being black enough" if you stand? It's coming.

You are free to disagree...but the bolded part is really a stretch.

Between his initial $1 million, his cut of his increased jersey sales (which I've seen estimated around $500,000), and his team owner's recent donations, he's raised $2.5 million for charity. And this doesn't include what any of his colleagues joining him and his many new followers around the country are doing in their communities. What a low life.

Yeah...nothing a snarky teenager couldn't do.   :\
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 06:50:39 PM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: September 18, 2016, 06:54:29 PM »

Out of curiosity, what charity did he donate to?  I hadn't heard, but I assume it is one related to the issue he sat and later knelt for, correct?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: September 18, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »

Maybe so..a little Chicken Little I suppose, but a black kid was suspended at a local high school for a game for kneeling during the anthem. That is until the media got involved, and the superintendant, feeling the heat, rescinded it.

But I do not like the way this is going..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: September 18, 2016, 06:57:16 PM »
To be fair, a public school probably shouldn't be allowed to suspend someone for kneeling during the anthem. (I assume it was a public school, if I'm wrong, then nevermind)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: September 18, 2016, 06:58:09 PM »
To be fair, a public school probably shouldn't be allowed to suspend someone for kneeling during the anthem. (I assume it was a public school, if I'm wrong, then nevermind)

I believe it was.

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #206 on: September 18, 2016, 06:59:13 PM »
I agree there are so many other ways to start this conversation.   I do not like it at all but I believe in the right of free speach.  He just did it in a way that, to me divides the sides that need to talk together.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #207 on: September 18, 2016, 07:00:56 PM »

Maybe so..a little Chicken Little I suppose, but a black kid was suspended at a local high school for a game for kneeling during the anthem. That is until the media got involved, and the superintendant, feeling the heat, rescinded it.

But I do not like the way this is going..

Not sure of your position here....are you saying he should have been suspended, or not suspended.  Or are you just saying he was racially pressured into it....or was the principle racially pressured to recind it?

IMO he never should have been suspended.  I know you cant be punished legally/criminally for it, and I just assumed that held true in am assumed public educational system.

Edit;  Ninja'd.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: September 18, 2016, 07:03:18 PM »

Out of curiosity, what charity did he donate to?  I hadn't heard, but I assume it is one related to the issue he sat and later knelt for, correct?
I don't think he's publicly announced that as of yet. Last I saw (a couple weeks ago), it sounded like he was still determining where best to distribute it. I don't think Jed York has been specific about where his $1 million went either.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #209 on: September 18, 2016, 07:03:47 PM »
I agree there are so many other ways to start this conversation.   I do not like it at all but I believe in the right of free speach.  He just did it in a way that, to me divides the sides that need to talk together.

Yep.  Plus, I thought it was to raise awareness, but unless you are living under a rock, I am pretty sure everyone is aware of this already.  All this does, like you said, is divide everyone even further, largely thanks to the piece of shit media.