Author Topic: Need advice: DIY cheap iron throne for a birthday party.  (Read 1554 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Need advice: DIY cheap iron throne for a birthday party.
« on: August 29, 2016, 12:47:12 PM »
I'm hoping to make it simple enough that I can do the entire build (maybe sans painting) in one day. I'm off Friday, so I plan to scout for a plastic lawn chair and then I'll use a bunch of yardsticks for the swords. For the handles, I'll probably wrap some electrical tape around the ends.

How would you crafty people go about doing this? My main concern is fastening the yardsticks themselves to the back of the chair. Duct tape? Zip-ties? Glue? Combination of all three?
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Need advice: DIY cheap iron throne for a birthday party.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 05:57:58 PM »
My engineering background says duct tape and zip ties should do it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:39:31 AM »
What's your budget?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 11:10:04 PM »
What's your budget?
I have a lot more money for this than I do time. So... I'd say four to eight hours :lol

In all seriousness, I'm planning on spending 50 to 75 to do this. I don't want to spend more than that since it's not even for me, it's for someone to sit in at their GoT themed birthday party. I found the image below that I'll use as a guide. I'm gonna find some cheap plastic swords and paint mixers, hot glue them to the chair, then spray paint the whole thing.

Don't know a whole lot about painting stuff. Should I use primer?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:17:14 AM by MetalJunkie »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:30:11 AM »
That was going to be my suggestion. Go to a party supply or a dollar store. You can probably find 6 packs of plastic swords for birthday parties and stuff.

If you have Prime, you can get 12 for $20 here;

https://www.amazon.com/Fun-Express-Plastic-Samurai-Swords/dp/B002TK00A4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472823028&sr=8-3&keywords=plastic+swords

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 08:01:10 AM »
That was going to be my suggestion. Go to a party supply or a dollar store. You can probably find 6 packs of plastic swords for birthday parties and stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Fun-Express-Plastic-Samurai-Swords/dp/B002TK00A4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472823028&sr=8-3&keywords=plastic+swords
Wrong style.  I think he needs something more along the lines of https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ROE4JC?psc=1
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 08:34:35 AM »

Wrong style.  I think he needs something more along the lines of https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ROE4JC?psc=1

No doubt. I was just thinking in terms of best bang for the buck

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 09:45:41 AM »
I have today to do this so hopefully I can track down some swords. If not, I'll figure something out.

I'm still in the dark about spray painting it. Should I use primer or anything else besides just paint?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 09:52:17 AM »
A good spray paint should adhere to whatever you are paining.  You just may have to do multiple coats, so get enough paint for that.  Better to do thin, quick-drying coats than to spray it on too thick and have it drip and run.  Don't stress if you don't get good coverage on the first (or even second) coat.  First coat will look like crap.  Second coat should pretty much cover, except for some touch-up areas here and there.

For the swords, I think your initial plan of yardsticks or extra large paint stirrers will work just fine.  You will just have to cut the ends to make them pointy.  You might also find some long stakes at any home improvement store or store that has a big lawn and garden center.  Those would already be pointy, and they are generally made of cheap wood, which makes them cheap and available in bundles.  The only catch is whether you can find them long enough.  Another suggestion, in a similar vein, is you may be able to find long strips of wood for use in lattice work at the same types of stores, and it should not be very expensive.  As with the yardsticks or paint stirrers, you will have to cut them to length and cut them to make them pointy, but that may ultimately be your best bet.  If you have or can borrow a mitre saw (chop saw), it will be super quick and easy.  A small circular saw or a jig saw would work as a backup plan, but will not be as quick and easy.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 01:21:52 PM »
You people are LAME-O.

It took 10 POSTS for the first Axl Rose joke?    Are you for real???

j/k

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 07:31:47 PM »
Don't know anyone with a jigsaw or circular saw so I soaked them in water a bit so they wouldn't crack, then used a hacksaw. I'm typically not very crafty, so I'm pretty pleased with the result.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 10:53:29 PM »
:clap: