Author Topic: Guitar lessons that are not boring  (Read 1879 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Guitar lessons that are not boring
« on: August 27, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »
Any recommendations?
I recently picked up my guitar again, strings are 5 years old but they seem to still work, I dunno if my fingers hurt because they're old or because I'm too out of practice.
Over the last couple of days I had fun learning some easy solos from youtube video lessons, I'm still having trouble with most chords though, holding them and moving along them.
But in general I'm looking for good practice videos that keeps my attention with fun playing.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Guitar lessons that are not boring
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 04:23:26 PM »
 :facepalm:
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 11:46:25 AM »
Find a good teacher, even if you only meet with them once a week or once every two weeks. Lessons shouldn't be just about learning how to play songs, because that gets boring quick. Rather, a good teacher should be able to encourage you, inspire you, and help you see things that you're missing. I've had several guitar teachers over the years, the best ones were more like general guides. The worst ones were those that taught you how to play songs.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »
Sorry but practicing is boring.

There's no shortcuts.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 03:45:05 PM »

Oh wow. I completely disagree.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 06:31:50 PM »
I've been practicing a lot lately.  I find its most fun to challenge yourself by improvising over the changes in popular songs.  You find out a lot about what works and what doesnt. 

I really want to get Rocksmith, that is super fun for learning guitar. 

PS, are your strings rusted af? maybe thats why it hurts :lol

Offline Skeever

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 07:30:21 PM »

There's no shortcuts.

Avoid this by breaking up your routine every day. When you sit down to practice have in mind that  you're working on one of the following things:

• Ear training - i.e., listening to songs/solos; figuring them out on your own
  • Technique - practicing picking, taps or sweeps, bends, hybrid picking, whatever
  • Composition - Actually writing your own songs
  • Site reading - actually reading music
  • Theory - Learning/practicing new scales, coming up with chords that work with them
  • Improvising - use a looper pedal and jam with yourself

I guarantee you that just picking one of these things every time you sit down for thirty minutes or so will not bore you. Of course, if you're the type of person who plugs in the guitar and immediately starts practicing scales to a metronome, and you do that every day, you're gonna burn out fast.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 10:04:59 PM »
I don't find practice boring. Frustrating, sometimes, but never boring.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 01:59:51 AM »
You could maybe have a look at https://www.jamplay.com/

Lots of video lessons and jam tracks to play along with. There's also detailed breakdowns of well known songs, if there's a particular solo you want to learn.

It's monthly recurring billing, so you could sign up for a month and then cancel before the next payment kicks in if it doesn't work out for you. I signed up for a couple of months, but I found that it was hard to get dedicated regular practice time at home, so I wasn't really getting my money's worth out of it.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 07:40:31 AM »
You could maybe have a look at https://www.jamplay.com/

Lots of video lessons and jam tracks to play along with. There's also detailed breakdowns of well known songs, if there's a particular solo you want to learn.

It's monthly recurring billing, so you could sign up for a month and then cancel before the next payment kicks in if it doesn't work out for you. I signed up for a couple of months, but I found that it was hard to get dedicated regular practice time at home, so I wasn't really getting my money's worth out of it.

Do they have any example lessons?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
There's a few freebies if you navigate through the different areas. E.g. https://www.jamplay.com/guitar-lessons/genres/4-metal

This is a fair representation of the style of lessons: https://www.jamplay.com/guitar-lessons/genres/4-metal/28/352-3-essential-techniques-1

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 01:50:10 PM »
https://www.justinguitar.com/

I used this guy's site for lessons and practice routines when I was getting back into playing several years back. Lots of video and text lessons for beginner and intermediate players, and best of all it's free.