Author Topic: 2016 NCAA Football!  (Read 23964 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2016 NCAA Football!
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »
Clemson has definitely played to the level of its competition this season, but NC State is better than most people think, and they have always played Clemson tough.  Clemson was lucky to win, with NC State's missed FG, but State is solid and played hard.

IMO, the two best teams right now are Alabama and Ohio State.  I don't think Bama will really be tested until the playoff.

ATM, my playoff forecast is: Alabama, Ohio State, Washington, Clemson/Louisville.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2016, 10:26:05 AM »
I honestly wasn't that impressed with Ohio State against Wisconsin. I can't wait for the Ohio St./Michigan game which will very probably determine the Big 10 Champ. However, we could get a Wisconsin rematch in the title game which would be great. Unless of course my Huskers beat Wisconsin in 2 weeks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2016, 10:58:47 AM »
I think Wisconsin is really good.  That was pretty impressive of Ohio State to beat them there.

We'll definitely know more after the OSU/Michigan game.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2016, 11:31:30 AM »
Wisconsin does look pretty good, but they got a lot of credit for beating down LSU and down MSU teams (which we didn't know were down at the time) and maybe OSU and UM just aren't as good?  Just throwing that out there, but I actually agree that UW is a legit team and I think UM and OSU are both great.  Should be a good one between those two deciding who likely plays in the playoff... unless PSU can knock off OSU this weekend  :lol should be a bloodbath

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2016, 10:57:10 AM »
Taking down the Ducks in double overtime... How bout them Bears??!?!

:gobears:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2016, 09:51:35 PM »
Penn State!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

What a 4th quarter, blocked punt to set up a field goal and blocked field goal returned for a TD for the winning points.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2016, 10:16:11 PM »
Damn, I was already counting the weeks for the OSU-UM battle of undefeateds.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2016, 11:41:58 AM »
Washington Huskies 7-0.           We. Want. Alabama.

:yarr :xbones :metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2016, 07:02:02 AM »
Penn State!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal

What a 4th quarter, blocked punt to set up a field goal and blocked field goal returned for a TD for the winning points.

Great game. I normally wouldn't go for Penn St. but I'm glad they beat Ohio St.  They also provided the blue print for beating them. Pressure the QB.

Nebraska struggled early against an inferior opponent in Purdue.  Our offense has all but disappeared these last few weeks but luckily the defense has stepped up. The offensive line is hurt and that has taken away the run game. I'll take 7-0 but their first real big test comes Saturday at Wisconsin.  I think it will be close and will be a defensive game. First to 24 wins I think.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2016, 07:03:14 AM »
That was a great win for Penn State.

I still think that if Ohio State wins out, they make the playoff.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2016, 07:16:52 AM »
That was a great win for Penn State.

I still think that if Ohio State wins out, they make the playoff.

Agreed.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
I would say it depends, but they still have a great shot if they win out.  The problem is that if PSU wins out, Michigan wins out except OSU, and OSU wins out, it could come down to the final rankings of OSU and UM (and PSU too, but they wouldn't be in the picture) for who plays for the Big 10 Championship.  And who knows what happens then.

Also, for me the top 4 currently are and if all win out then should stay this way:

Alabama
Washington
Michigan
Clemson

I could see a Louisville sneak in if someone loses or OSU as well if they beat Michigan.  Not sure I see Alabama or Washington lose though since they seem to be much better than the rest of their conferences.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2016, 08:58:39 AM »

Calm down my friend... You still have to outscore Cal.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »
BTW, how about that Oklahoma-Texas Tech game?   :metal

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2016, 11:30:37 AM »

It may happen,  but it will come down to defense.  Offense sells tickets, but defense wins games.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2016, 12:03:31 PM »
I would say it depends, but they still have a great shot if they win out.  The problem is that if PSU wins out, Michigan wins out except OSU, and OSU wins out, it could come down to the final rankings of OSU and UM (and PSU too, but they wouldn't be in the picture) for who plays for the Big 10 Championship.  And who knows what happens then.

Also, for me the top 4 currently are and if all win out then should stay this way:

Alabama
Washington
Michigan
Clemson

I could see a Louisville sneak in if someone loses or OSU as well if they beat Michigan.  Not sure I see Alabama or Washington lose though since they seem to be much better than the rest of their conferences.

With the quality of the Big 10 I don't see any scenario that a 1-loss Ohio St, Michigan, or even Nebraska get's left out. Assuming of course that 1 loss come from Ohio St., Michigan or Nebraska.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2016, 12:54:43 AM »

I can't stand air raid/no defense football.  I'm so glad to see Oregon fall flat this year, and other air it out 60+ teams like TTU hover at .500.  Reducing a sport to one on one matchups killed the NBA, and it will do the same to college football.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2016, 07:27:00 AM »
Nah, I don't think it will ever be popular enough to spread that far, especially if none of those teams actually win a championship.

I enjoy it BECAUSE it is different.  If it became more commonplace, it wouldn't be as fun.

I enjoy watching Georgia Tech play for the same reason.  The triple option game used to be everywhere, and I hated it.  But hardly anyone does it anymore, so it's fun to watch when I can.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2016, 07:46:05 AM »

I can't stand air raid/no defense football.  I'm so glad to see Oregon fall flat this year, and other air it out 60+ teams like TTU hover at .500.  Reducing a sport to one on one matchups killed the NBA, and it will do the same to college football.

Add me to this.  I don't find games where every possession is a score to be that good overall, they could be fun to watch, but I don't think it's as fun as a 17-14 grinder game where one play can change the game vs. whoever has the ball last wins.

However, Hef still has the point that it is different and does bring a fun aspect to college ball.  Also, these teams never really win overall, just like triple option teams.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2016, 08:48:13 AM »
Also, games like the OU/TT game closely resemble video games played between me and my brother, so it's fun to see it in real life lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2016, 06:38:54 AM »
We're getting ready, already, to head up to the stadium for tailgating and to hang out at the "Game Day". I have no expectations for our guys today but I'm hoping for an entertaining and close game.

Good luck, TempusVox...but not too good of luck, if you know what I mean!  :lol

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2016, 01:44:28 PM »
No way Podaar, not this year.

Big win by Michigan (should have been bigger), Louisville escapes my other alma mater.... but all this pales in comparison to..... (that is not me)

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
The one time I can bring myself to root for the Canes...dammit Noter Damn.  And damn Canes who let one guy get a ball from three Canes, the first of which should have had it clean.

The Utes played well.  Just don't get that last call of four vertical routes when they only needed 10 yards.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2016, 01:56:00 AM »
Sorry Podaar. It weren't pretty. But a win is a win. Utah is much tougher than people give them credit for (17 ranking), and isn't an easy place to play. It was a great test for my Dawgs though and should solidify them even more for a strong chance to run the table.

Bow Down to Washington! We're now 8-0. Let's go Huskies!  :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2016, 06:04:41 AM »
No way Podaar, not this year.

I'll bet you were regretting this post until about three minutes left, when the Utes were stupid enough to not punt out-of-bounds with a short field. A gift to the Huskies there.

Just don't get that last call of four vertical routes when they only needed 10 yards.

You don't watch enough of Utah :)  Their red zone and end of game strategies are unfathomable.  :lol  The offense is fairly young, they'll grow. The coaching staff has no excuse, of course.

We're now 8-0. Let's go Huskies!  :metal

I'll be pulling for y'all. I think the Huskies are a great team. Well disciplined, excellent players and well coached. The run blocking schemes are not only beautifully designed but exquisitely executed. Coupled with the talent of you running back core, yikes.

Also, the Washington traveling fans were excellent! Prior to the game, they were casually engaging with Utah fans with an easy familiarity that we don't usually get. Opposing team fans are often furtive and nervous looking. They were obviously enthusiastic about there team, but also very gracious in victory...maybe a little relieved, though.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2016, 08:55:11 AM »
Anyone familiar with Washington and Michigan, which one would matchup best with Bama?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »
Anyone familiar with Washington and Michigan, which one would matchup best with Bama?

Not sure, but I think both would be great match ups.

Loved seeing PSU after being tied at 17 at halftime just blow away Purdue in the second have to a 60+ point game.  First in awhile. This team has improved as the seasons gone on which is a great sign for them going forward.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2016, 05:14:42 PM »

My Huskies

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2016, 06:01:54 PM »

My Huskies

Just one more big test next Saturday.....

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2016, 08:43:40 PM »

My Huskies

Just one more big test next Saturday.....

It's not my intent to sound boastful, but seriously? I see SC and definitely Wazzu as being big "tests", but have you seen us play this year? Not that they'll not be a tough road opponent, but really? Okay..perhaps you're right. We'll see.  :biggrin:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »
Just keep scoring.....

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2016, 06:41:21 AM »
It's not my intent to sound boastful, but seriously? I see SC and definitely Wazzu as being big "tests", but have you seen us play this year? Not that they'll not be a tough road opponent, but really? Okay..perhaps you're right. We'll see.  :biggrin:

:lol No proper Husky fan looks past the Apple Bowl. The Cougars could be 0-8 and still find it in themselves to win that game. But as they say, worry about them one at a time.

USC and Utah proved that you can slow down Cal's scoring, Utah just forgot to score themselves. :) I don't know if Washington has defensive backs to stop Cal's passing attack. We'll just have to see.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2016, 08:15:49 AM »
:lol No proper Husky fan looks past the Apple Bowl. The Cougars could be 0-8 and still find it in themselves to win that game. But as they say, worry about them one at a time.

Another reason why college football is so great, those rival games!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2016, 08:53:22 AM »

I think Bama would beat Michigan by 10+.  If Wisconsin had any kind of offense they would have beaten Michigan at the Big House a few weeks back.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »
Little shake up with the playoff rankings.  Texas AM over Washington is not cool IMO.  Sure they played a tougher schedule, but Washington passes the eye test and I truly believe undefeated is better than one loss.  However, it doesn't mean much.  If Washington wins out they are in.  Surprised to see PSU all the way up to 12.  The committee also used the strength of schedule here to rate them much higher.