Author Topic: 2016 NCAA Football!  (Read 23968 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
2016 NCAA Football!
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:28:15 AM »
I didn't see a new thread for this season of college football that is upon us.  First games kick off in one week!

I have pretty low expectations for PSU this year, but lots of reasons for optimism specifically on offense as they got a new offensive coordinator who is bringing a much more up tempo offense and it appears of new QB may be perfect for the system, plus PSU has arguably the best running back in the B10 and maybe the best set of receivers as well.  If they can put everything together and improve the OL (which was terrible the last two years) then there is good reason to be optimistic, but I think 8-4 would be a good season for them and 7-5 seems very realistic at this point.  Also they have a tough schedule.

I will be going to the home opener next weekend against Kent State and also got my father tickets to see PSU play at Rutgers in a night game in November which should be interesting as the away team in a hostile environment.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2016 NCAA Football!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »
I am super excited for the start of college football season!

The two teams I mainly pull for, North Carolina and my alma mater Appalachian State, have interesting opportunities before them this season.

UNC had a fantastic season last year, but a soft non-conference schedule hurt them in the public eye.  They have remedied that a little with a first game against Georgia this season, and the game against Florida State will be a good opportunity, but they will still need plenty of help.

Meanwhile, Appalachian State, coming off an 11-win season, returns a shit load of players, and they start off at #9 Tennessee, and in week 3 they host Miami.  If they win both of those games, and run the table in their conference, who knows what could happen?  Maybe winning the Group of 5 and getting into a great bowl game!

First game of the season is this Friday - Cal vs. Hawaii, from Australia.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 12:20:02 PM »
First game of the season is this Friday - Cal vs. Hawaii, from Australia.

Oh really? wow didnt see that but thats crazy it's being played in Australia.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 01:10:20 PM »
That's why it is a week before any other games.  It will take them that long to get back lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:17:30 PM »
My Dawgs are ranked 14th. I can hardly wait to watch it unfold. Mighty are the men who wear the purple and the gold. Those dogs are snarling in Montlake this year for sure.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 08:17:48 AM »
On Wisconsin!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 08:22:48 AM »
So, anyone have a team/school they want to see completely disgraced?  I was a Penn State fan for the longest time...then after everything with Sandusky and the organizational enabling of him came to light, my primary allegiance became Baylor (wife is an alum).  Given that track record, I'm thinking I should become an FSU fan, and they'll get what's coming to them.  But, I'm open to other suggestions (or possibly even bids?)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 08:28:34 AM »
So, anyone have a team/school they want to see completely disgraced?  I was a Penn State fan for the longest time...then after everything with Sandusky and the organizational enabling of him came to light, my primary allegiance became Baylor (wife is an alum).  Given that track record, I'm thinking I should become an FSU fan, and they'll get what's coming to them.  But, I'm open to other suggestions (or possibly even bids?)

Come back to PSU.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »
My Dawgs are ranked 14th. I can hardly wait to watch it unfold. Mighty are the men who wear the purple and the gold. Those dogs are snarling in Montlake this year for sure.
Wow, I think they are going to have a really good year.  It would surely be good to see some new blood in the CF Playoff, huh?  :biggrin:

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »
I'm ready! Hoping for a better season from Nebraska. Lost too many close games last year. We have the talent to make it to the Big 10 title game.  At Wisconsin and At Ohio St. are going to be tough. Looking forward to the Oregon game week 3! One more week!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 12:45:22 PM »
I'm ready! Hoping for a better season from Nebraska. Lost too many close games last year. We have the talent to make it to the Big 10 title game.  At Wisconsin and At Ohio St. are going to be tough. Looking forward to the Oregon game week 3! One more week!

I'd like to see Nebraska get back to being the team they used to be.  They should have a good shot at the Big10 West this year.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »
Kinda tough to gauge how Cal will be since we lost our star no. 1 draft pick qb, so I'm going into this with an open mind. I am excited to be welcoming U Texas to Berkeley, hoping we can lay some pain on them on national TV and get a little respect rolling.

:gobears:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 03:43:15 PM »

If you can guarantee a curse worse than Penn State or Baylor, by all means back Notre Damn.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »

If you can guarantee a curse worse than Penn State or Baylor, by all means back Notre Damn.

I can get on board with this  :lol

And if we are just talking about the football aspect of these scandals, PSU ended up "surviving" per se.  Like they didn't even have a losing season during that stretch and this is the first season back at full scholarships.  I think Baylor may end up having a much more difficult road returning to the level they've been at.  But that is still TBD.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 04:49:41 PM »
I was thinking football and beyond...both schools lost their HC, AD and president (plus a few more admin at PSU).  Will be interesting to see what happens w/ Baylor, they have farther to fall then PSU did at the time, but also don't have the scholarship issues.

Notre Dame is a good candidate, but the dislike of them is so hard-wired into me that I'm not sure I could stomach it even if it meant it would bring them crashing down in a few years...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 05:29:23 PM »
Baylor just doesn't have the history that PSU has to fall back on with recruits.  PSU recruiting was terrible those years, but mostly due to not enough scholarships rather than getting talent.  I feel like Baylor will struggle with talent due to the issues mostly because Baylor does not have as large of a history and as large of a foot in their own state for recruiting.  USC was similar to PSU, where they survived the NCAA sanctions on name brand to still grab talent.  USC also did that much better than PSU.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 09:17:51 PM »
Notre Dame is a good candidate, but the dislike of them is so hard-wired into me that I'm not sure I could stomach it even if it meant it would bring them crashing down in a few years...

That just means you are a decent human being.  As I've said before, if Notre Damn played al Qaeda, I would root for al Qaeda.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 07:08:37 AM »
Glad to see that no defense was played in the season's first game last night lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 08:52:11 PM »
Glad to see that no defense was played in the season's first game last night lol

Whatever....1-0 baby!!!!  :gobears:

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 07:25:51 AM »

I'd like to see Nebraska get back to being the team they used to be.  They should have a good shot at the Big10 West this year.

Me too! I think we're heading in the right direction and we have had a great recruiting year compared to the last decade so the future looks bright. I don't trust Tommy Armstrong and until we get a solid starting QB we're going to be an above average program.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 07:35:01 AM »

Whatever....1-0 baby!!!!  :gobears:
Fine with me, pal.  I prefer my college football with lots of offense.  :tup

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »
Tonight's the night!  College football on a massive scale!

App State at Tennessee!  Go Mountaineers!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 07:46:11 AM »
 :yarr

Cancelled my plans to go to PSU this weekend.  I'm happy about it though, my wallet is feeling pretty light after this summer.  I am super pumped to watch some college ball on TV though.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2016, 06:40:43 AM »
Shocker, Tennessee is overrated. Who didn't see that coming.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2016, 06:58:35 AM »

They may be, but I don't think it's as bad as it seems.  Appy isn't a terrible team and it's the first game of the season so sometimes teams are a bit rusty.  I mean, Tennessee certainly could be not so good, but I personally am not going to jump on that ship just yet.  Also, since they did steal PSU's defensive coordinator, I am actively rooting against Tennessee.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2016, 11:44:43 AM »

They may be, but I don't think it's as bad as it seems.  Appy isn't a terrible team and it's the first game of the season so sometimes teams are a bit rusty.  I mean, Tennessee certainly could be not so good, but I personally am not going to jump on that ship just yet.  Also, since they did steal PSU's defensive coordinator, I am actively rooting against Tennessee.

I am a life long Tennessee fan, but when the pre season rankings came out it was a joke.  They have a suspect offensive line and Dobbs has not convinced me that the passing game has improved.  App. State is quick on defense and have a solid quarterback.  They should have a great season.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2016, 12:24:28 PM »
Sad to see my Mountaineers let that one slip away.  It was ours for the taking, but a couple breaks went Tennessee's way, and our freshman kicker had a tough game.

Tennessee was very lucky.  We should have won it.

Proud to be a Mountaineer.  Miami Hurricanes visit Boone in 2 weeks, and they better be ready.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2016, 07:29:07 AM »
game day!

I don't think Bucky has a chance to beat LSU, but maybe the Lambeau magic will help them out.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2016, 09:14:01 AM »
game day!

I don't think Bucky has a chance to beat LSU, but maybe the Lambeau magic will help them out.

Lots of folks out for game day on ESPN.  Weather looks great.

Hef, did the storm affect where you live in NC?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2016, 04:59:22 PM »
Geaux home LSU.

SEC-ya later.

ON WISCONSIN!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2016, 08:51:19 PM »
I'm only about two miles from Hef, it rained all Friday, but was generally nice today.

I think it is time to rename "Big game Bob" Stoops "Big bully Stoops" because they don't show up in big games, and just wail on the Kansaslols of football for the most part.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2016, 12:19:20 AM »
Lots of folks out for game day on ESPN.  Weather looks great.

Anyone here ever go to a College Gameday live spot? They were at UW a couple years back, thought about going, ended up being a rare Saturday when I had to work. Warren Moon was there. Hope Solo on the panel because, well, having Jerramy Stevens would have turned the panel in to an AA meeting. Ended up getting killed by Oregon.

UW is looking good this year. Chris Peterson was a huge pickup by them after the Willingham-Sark era of disaster.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »
I have been to Gameday twice, once at Penn State and once at VT.  It's better on TV than it is live.

In other news, Noter Damn lost to Texas, so I'm as happy as an 80s banker with an eight ball and two high priced hookers.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2016, 07:17:42 AM »
Hef, did the storm affect where you live in NC?

I'm only about two miles from Hef, it rained all Friday, but was generally nice today.
Well, this  :lol

I think some high school games on Friday night may have been affected, but games went on Saturday as scheduled.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2016, 03:07:15 PM »
So upset PSU lost, but that was one hell of a game and one hell of a comeback for this young team against a more experienced team on the road.  Turnovers and a terrible run defense cost PSU the game, but it was really fun and exciting to watch regardless.