Author Topic: Bands you like that surprises other people  (Read 3327 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Bands you like that surprises other people
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »
Oh, and to address the main topic here, I think the band that surprises friends of mine the most is Pet Shop Boys.  I mean, everyone knows I am a big 80s fan, but it surprises a lot of people that I like so many songs by PSB.  What can I say, they have tons of catchy tunes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2016, 09:16:02 PM »
MP4 is my go to album. It's perfection.

I'm a Bay City Rollers fan but that's a whole ball of wax.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mladen

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 09:52:15 AM »
Coldplay.

And sometimes Slipknot.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 10:33:54 AM »
For me, it's usually Springsteen. Compared to the rest of my top artists he comes out of left field a bit.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 11:54:20 AM »
I like Springsteen, especially his 70's records, but I don't think it's all that unexpected given I grew up on Classic Rock.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2016, 04:33:27 PM »
MP4 is my go to album. It's perfection.

Hmmm, I've never heard that before; it's that good? 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2016, 04:39:58 PM »
It's "THAT" good.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2016, 08:05:05 AM »
I'll check it out.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »
Benny Goodman.

My mom's favorite.  He's made for many a relaxing Sunday morning, or the start of a long road trip at 5AM.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2016, 05:03:47 PM »
Oh, and to address the main topic here, I think the band that surprises friends of mine the most is Pet Shop Boys.  I mean, everyone knows I am a big 80s fan, but it surprises a lot of people that I like so many songs by PSB.  What can I say, they have tons of catchy tunes.
I think a lot of people underestimate just how much good music Pet Shop Boys have.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2016, 05:48:01 PM »
My love of jazz, swing, and big band usually surprises people.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2016, 06:47:08 PM »
I'm a white computer nerd who likes gangsta rap.  That surprises some people.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2016, 12:11:46 AM »
Most of my friends and acquaintances know I listen to metal, including extreme metal (at least to non-metal fans), are always shocked when they find out how much I like Ben Folds & Ben Folds Five.

are they even more shocked when they find out that ben folds five is only three people?
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2016, 01:00:11 AM »

Well that's racist. Gods, I hope people weren't laughing at that scene.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2016, 04:02:12 AM »
People are surprised that I like metal and even extreme metal. I'm known as a kind and easy going guy, so they don't expect me to like that kind of music. Which is weird, because I think we all know the metal audience is always very relaxed. At least here in Holland anyway.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2016, 05:33:36 AM »
Oh, I also love the Great American Songbook, which surprises some considering I mainly listen to modern music (i.e. hardly any oldies/classic rock).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2016, 06:53:28 AM »
I think a lot of people underestimate just how much good music Pet Shop Boys have.

Agreed. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2016, 12:00:41 PM »
I loved the PSB album " Very " but wasn't really into their other stuff.

Musically and vocally I always preferred Erasure.

I love the Erasure albums

I Say I Say I Say
Chorus
Nightbird

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
A 53-year old Chinese guy that listens to Megadeth, Coheed & Cambria, Opeth, Tool and Alter Bridge baffles some people.

Yeah, I can see why that baffles people.  I'm a 24-year old Vietnamese guy that listens to Alter Bridge, Rush, Foo Fighters, Skillet, Dream Theater, and Breaking Benjamin and have dived into acts like Zac Brown Band and Lindsey Stirling.  Never thought when I was 12, I would listen to music like this.  I thought I would grow up listening to like classic piano music or something.

Well, I DO listen to (and play  :biggrin:) classical piano music.  It's just that people might get the impression that's ALL I listen to.  When I listen to the Opeth and King Diamond, it just doesn't equate for my mom, wife, kids and some of my friends.  They're all like, YOU listen to THAT?!

I think I've got you boys beat.. 30 yr old female listening to DT, SX, Sabbath, PF, Maiden, Megadeth... No one gets me LOL "You're going to see who?! You listening to what?!"
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2016, 12:44:37 PM »
A 53-year old Chinese guy that listens to Megadeth, Coheed & Cambria, Opeth, Tool and Alter Bridge baffles some people.

Yeah, I can see why that baffles people.  I'm a 24-year old Vietnamese guy that listens to Alter Bridge, Rush, Foo Fighters, Skillet, Dream Theater, and Breaking Benjamin and have dived into acts like Zac Brown Band and Lindsey Stirling.  Never thought when I was 12, I would listen to music like this.  I thought I would grow up listening to like classic piano music or something.

Well, I DO listen to (and play  :biggrin:) classical piano music.  It's just that people might get the impression that's ALL I listen to.  When I listen to the Opeth and King Diamond, it just doesn't equate for my mom, wife, kids and some of my friends.  They're all like, YOU listen to THAT?!

I think I've got you boys beat.. 30 yr old female listening to DT, SX, Sabbath, PF, Maiden, Megadeth... No one gets me LOL "You're going to see who?! You listening to what?!"

Love to see that kind of dedication!  :metal
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2016, 01:14:05 PM »

I'd say that makes you an exceedingly rare find in the species. I can imagine the conversation.

"I'm going to see Dream Theater"

"I've never heard of that place. What movie are you seeing?"

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2016, 01:26:03 PM »

I'd say that makes you an exceedingly rare find in the species. I can imagine the conversation.

"I'm going to see Dream Theater"

"I've never heard of that place. What movie are you seeing?"

LOL! Yeah, I guess I'm a pretty rare find haha!

And yeah, pretty much that's how it goes. And for some reason, people always think Dream Theater is like some pop group or soft rock.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2016, 01:29:55 PM »
Their name is extremely evocative, so I guess people associate it with something more mainstream.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »
Women in rock/metal these days are quite common. Maybe not much in prog, but far from rare imo :P

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »
Women in rock/metal these days are quite common. Maybe not much in prog, but far from rare imo :P

I definitely agree  :smiley: depends on the bands and genre.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2016, 05:32:06 PM »
I think most people are shocked that I'm a huge Dire Straits and Elton John fan. Most of my family and friends are used to hearing things come out of my speakers that it shocks them that there is some familiarity with Dire Straits and Elton John.