Author Topic: Bands you like that surprises other people  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Bands you like that surprises other people
« on: August 25, 2016, 02:08:42 AM »
I hesitate to use the term "guilty pleasure" because that's more when you know something is bad, or not that good, but enjoy it anyway. In this case I'm talking more about bands that you like and you get enjoyment out of, but other people are constantly surprised when they find out about it. Maybe you come off as the metal guy among your friends but have a fondness for Beatles, or something that breaks the mould so to speak.

While most friends know me as someone who listens to many different genres and musical styles, here are two bands that I like, that surprises people:

*Lacuna Coil - I haven't heard their last few albums, but their classic album run still holds up really well for me. Especially Unleashed Memories, Comalies and Karmacode. 3 Great albums that I return to somewhat frequently. I think it makes people surprised because most of the metal I listen to is either heavier or more experimental, and Lacuna Coil is really more of a straight up metalband, but I really like the melodies and despite never getting into any other goth metal with female vocals, LC really does it for me.

*Linkin Park - There's obviously an element of nostalgia involved. But it's more than that. The band evolved from their nu-metal roots and it's one of those bands where I'm happy to have grown up alongside the band also growing up. The teenager-phase is when you change the most as a person, and being able to still like something that I liked back then, I consider a win. Maybe if I heard them for the first time today, I wouldn't like them as much, but I've still liked every album they put out after the classic ones, so that's something.

Neither of these would necessarily end up high on a topX favorite list, but I'm still more than ~1500 plays on lastfm with both.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:05:47 AM by Zantera »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Bands you like that surprises other people
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 02:51:19 AM »
Honestly, a lot of my friends take the piss out of me for listening to Dream Theater  :lol

I'll have a look through my library at some point but off the top of my head:

My Chemical Romance
Billy Talent
Paramore
Portishead
Stevie Wonder

I have quite a few friends who are metalheads who believe that being a true metalhead means listening only to metal. I always rebelled against that bullshit. When I got into My Chemical Romance EVERYONE I knew took the piss. There was this whole emo stigma around them and that made them shit to people without even listening to them. That always annoyed me. Same with Billy Talent actually, I have a mate who has always been obsessed with them and a few of us liked them, again everyone else took the piss. Things like Stevie Wonder are all on my dad, same with my love of The Beatles.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 03:03:04 AM »
CHVRCHES - I'm too surprised I like them :lol there's not many pop artists I like
I think people would be surprised if they knew I like jazz (but I'm not listening to it as much as I used to).
Also, everything labeled as emo (Brand New, The Hotelier, American Football) - I was kinda talking shit about genre in the past :-\
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 06:22:52 AM »
Eminem is the big one for me. I usually hate hip-hop but there are a few things about Eminem's style that grab me. Of course when people see a guy with long hair wearing a Metallica t-shirt singing along to Without Me and Lose Yourself they get very confused. Even my girlfriend was stunned when she found out.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 07:13:46 AM »
Without question, KISS.   I'm still as big a Kiss fan now as I was when I was 12, and I am unapologetic about it.  I don't call it a "guilty pleasure" and I don't caveat it.  I LOVE Kiss.  I think some are surprised that it wasn't one of those things that fell by the wayside over the years.

Another is, generally, how big a fan I am of the outlaw country (Kristofferson, Bosphus, Cash, Jennings, Nelson) and, after they hear it, Blackmore's Night. 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:06:21 AM »
Limp Bizkit- Don't know what it is about them but I've always liked them.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:19:15 AM »
my wife and I are about as white-bread, middle America as you can get.  Our friends and other people we meet are always fascinated that we listen to and attend concerts for pretty much any and every genre of metal.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:30:51 AM »
A 53-year old Chinese guy that listens to Megadeth, Coheed & Cambria, Opeth, Tool and Alter Bridge baffles some people.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 08:31:59 AM »
I hesitate to use the term "guilty pleasure" because that's more when you know something is bad, or not that good, but enjoy it anyway.
Which I still find a nonsense concept. If music is made to be enjoyed, and you enjoy it, then by what definition is it not "good"? I find the whole idea of a "guilty pleasure" incredibly snobby and pretentious.

As for this thread topic, that's a good question. On the whole, I'm not sure anything would surprise people much, at least those who know me fairly well. They know that my tastes are very eclectic and open minded.

If anything I think perhaps what might surprise someone (especially if they don't know much about my approach to music) looking through my ipod is just how random and eclectic it is.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 08:38:47 AM »
I hesitate to use the term "guilty pleasure" because that's more when you know something is bad, or not that good, but enjoy it anyway.
Which I still find a nonsense concept. If music is made to be enjoyed, and you enjoy it, then by what definition is it not "good"? I find the whole idea of a "guilty pleasure" incredibly snobby and pretentious.

As for this thread topic, that's a good question. On the whole, I'm not sure anything would surprise people much, at least those who know me fairly well. They know that my tastes are very eclectic and open minded.

If anything I think perhaps what might surprise someone (especially if they don't know much about my approach to music) looking through my ipod is just how random and eclectic it is.

I think you bring up a valid point that I agree with, it's just that the term has gotten that reputation. I would say a "guilty pleasure" is something the majority of people don't like, so you find guilty for liking it yourself, but I think many of the examples in this thread isn't necessarily bands that are widely disliked, it's more a situation where other people didn't expect you to listen to it. I think of someone who might be known as a metalhead of a group and you find out they secretly love rolling stones or something. The band itself is not a guilty pleasure, but people will still be surprised.

Otherwise I agree with your point on "guilty pleasure" though. If you enjoy it, then it's not bad.  :P

Offline T-ski

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 08:39:04 AM »
Gin Blossoms
Deep Blue Something
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 08:51:27 AM »
CHVRCHES - I'm too surprised I like them :lol there's not many pop artists I like
I really like CHVRCHES too! Their debut album is really good! Along the same vein, Florence+ The Machine is a band i love as well.

Some others:

Blackmore's Night
Toto (Top.5 favorite band of all time)
Stevie Wonder
Pet Shop Boys
Depeche Mode
Euryhtmics
Duran Duran

Also some black metal bands. :lol

Offline Art

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 08:55:41 AM »
Synthwave

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 08:59:57 AM »
Otherwise I agree with your point on "guilty pleasure" though. If you enjoy it, then it's not bad.  :P
o/

Just had a quick scroll through my iPod, and the only one I can think of might be Run-DMC. I have nothing against rap/hip-hop, but I very rarely listen to the pure stuff and never talk about it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 09:08:33 AM »
I do, or at least did like the Linkin Park song "Breaking the Habit"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 09:27:09 AM »
*Lacuna Coil - I haven't heard their last few albums, but their classic album run still holds up really well for me. Especially Unleashed Memories, Comalies and Karmacode. 3 Great albums that I return to somewhat frequently. I think it makes people surprised because most of the metal I listen to is either heavier or more experimental, and Lacuna Coil is really more of a straight up metalband, but I really like the melodies and despite never getting into any other goth metal with female vocals, LC really does it for me.

Of the later albums, I think Shallow Life was excellent, notwithstanding the more "commercial" direction.  When bands who aren't big commercial successes go for a more commercial sound, it seems like they usually either hit it out of the park or fall flat on their faces.  I think Lacuna Coil hit it out of the park with this one.  I enjoy their latest album as well.  To my ears, it is simultaneously heavier than their typical sounds and somewhat of a return to their pre-Comalies gothic sound.  Someone I know said there is too much Andi on it, which I get, but somewhat disagree with.  I don't think he is singing anymore than usual on this latest album.  But his parts are much more aggressive and in your face, so he is more noticeable.

Anyhow, take that for what it is worth.  If you are a fan of the band, I would definitely check those two out.  I didn't care as much for Dark Adrenaline or Broken Crown Halo.  I didn't dislike them, but I also can't remember even a single song from either of them now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 09:34:43 AM »

Of the later albums, I think Shallow Life was excellent, notwithstanding the more "commercial" direction.  When bands who aren't big commercial successes go for a more commercial sound, it seems like they usually either hit it out of the park or fall flat on their faces.  I think Lacuna Coil hit it out of the park with this one.  I enjoy their latest album as well.  To my ears, it is simultaneously heavier than their typical sounds and somewhat of a return to their pre-Comalies gothic sound.  Someone I know said there is too much Andi on it, which I get, but somewhat disagree with.  I don't think he is singing anymore than usual on this latest album.  But his parts are much more aggressive and in your face, so he is more noticeable.

Anyhow, take that for what it is worth.  If you are a fan of the band, I would definitely check those two out.  I didn't care as much for Dark Adrenaline or Broken Crown Halo.  I didn't dislike them, but I also can't remember even a single song from either of them now.

I was with the band through Shallow Life (saw them live on that tour) but when Dark Adrenaline came around, I didn't get around to it. That said, I'm in a bit of a LC-phase at the moment, so I might give the last 3 albums a fair shot. Even if I don't love those albums as much as the classic ones, there might still be some song gems on them.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 10:07:19 AM »
A 53-year old Chinese guy that listens to Megadeth, Coheed & Cambria, Opeth, Tool and Alter Bridge baffles some people.

Yeah, I can see why that baffles people.  I'm a 24-year old Vietnamese guy that listens to Alter Bridge, Rush, Foo Fighters, Skillet, Dream Theater, and Breaking Benjamin and have dived into acts like Zac Brown Band and Lindsey Stirling.  Never thought when I was 12, I would listen to music like this.  I thought I would grow up listening to like classic piano music or something.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 10:17:13 AM »

Yeah, I can see why that baffles people.  I'm a 24-year old Vietnamese guy that listens to Alter Bridge, Rush, Foo Fighters, Skillet, Dream Theater, and Breaking Benjamin and have dived into acts like Zac Brown Band and Lindsey Stirling.  Never thought when I was 12, I would listen to music like this.  I thought I would grow up listening to like classic piano music or something.

Well, I DO listen to (and play  :biggrin:) classical piano music.  It's just that people might get the impression that's ALL I listen to.  When I listen to the Opeth and King Diamond, it just doesn't equate for my mom, wife, kids and some of my friends.  They're all like, YOU listen to THAT?!
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »
They've already been mentioned, but I'm a big fan of both Paramore and CHVRCHES, which catches a lot of people off-guard.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »
Lyle Lovett and his Large Band
John Hiatt
Anything by, featuring, or otherwise associated with Chris Thile (Nickel Creek, Punch Brothers, The Goat Rodeo Sessions, etc)
Bela Fleck (all, not just with the Flecktones, but also solo work, with Chick Corea, etc)
David Crowder
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 12:49:16 PM »
Panic! at the Disco and Fall Out Boy are recent ones for me. After spending most of high school badmouthing emo music, I've found I really enjoy them. Little bit of Hawthorne Heights and Silverstein too, actually.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »
Forgot about Toto. That's a big one for some reason.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 03:16:08 PM »
Most of my friends and acquaintances know I listen to metal, including extreme metal (at least to non-metal fans), are always shocked when they find out how much I like Ben Folds & Ben Folds Five.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
Most of my friends and acquaintances know I listen to metal, including extreme metal (at least to non-metal fans), are always shocked when they find out how much I like Ben Folds & Ben Folds Five.

That's alright I guess
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 03:27:35 PM »
My girlfriend almost killed me when I said I liked Lorde  :lol

Some friends are surprised when I tell them I like both Converge and, say, Kendrick Lamar or Pink Floyd.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 03:33:50 PM »
Hmmm none I can think of. The people I am close with know that I am pretty eclectic and listen to different kinds of music, so I guess they don't get surprised if sometimes I listen to classical music, extreme metal, jazz or pop. It might surprise someone who doesn't know me, but I dunno what bands.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »
Most of my friends are surprised to learn how much I liked Carly Rae Jepsen's latest album.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 05:16:29 PM »
Pretty much any band that gets associated with metal actually, I never really talk about it much unless someone happens to love the same band(s) I do, on top of that I really don't look/dress like a metalhead at all.

But for the people that do know most of what I listen to, Arctic Monkeys seems to be a shocker. I wouldn't say it's a top 10 band of mine, but there's atleast 3 albums of theirs I can fully enjoy front to back and the rest of them are atleast good.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 08:14:08 PM »
People tend to be a little shocked that I like metal. Once that subsides, I really blow their mind by telling them I love techno. If that doesn't do it, I toss in that I love disco.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 08:16:55 PM »
Hmm, not sure. Creed? Lady Gaga? Thomas Tallis?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 08:18:59 PM »
Michael Penn.  I'm really into songwriters and that surprises most that know I love prog.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2016, 08:53:55 PM »
Michael Penn.  I'm really into songwriters and that surprises most that know I love prog.

The first concert I ever saw was Michael Penn, back in 1990.

March is still a fine album from start to finish. :tup :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2016, 09:01:03 PM »
What a fantastic tour Kev.  I love that you saw the same tour.  He can write the best melancholy song.  I just adore his craft.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2016, 09:11:07 PM »
Like, for example, Invisible; such a lovely, simple song. :coolio