Author Topic: General fantasy football chatter - 2016 version  (Read 1133 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
General fantasy football chatter - 2016 version
« on: August 24, 2016, 06:48:24 PM »
The other thread is for leagues and whatnot, so I figured we needed one for general chatter. I get that some won't want to make predictions, for fear of tipping their hat to those they are still going to draft with, but screw it, let's do it anyway.

Current ADP (Adjusted Draft Position):

https://fantasyfootballcalculator.com/adp.php

Guys I think are overvalued:

-AJ Green - him going in the middle of the first round is madness.
-Ezekiel Elliot - I get that Dallas' line is unreal, but this guy has already been dinged up and some of his comments are along the lines of "My job will be easy running behind that line." No way would I spend a first round pick on this rookie.
-Any QB you take in the first 7 rounds - QBs are so deep this year, it's best to wait and take one later and stock up everywhere else. Cam Newton might be the exception, because of his ability to rack up numbers passing AND rushing.
-Keenan Allen - not buying the hype.
-Kevin Benjamin - his talent is obvious, but Carolina will spread it around a lot.

Guys I think are undervalued:

-Demaryius Thomas - currently going in the third round. Yes, please.  The Broncos QB(s) might make a lot of mistakes, but they should still throw a lot and rack up yards, and Thomas will still get a ton of targets.
-Larry Fitzgerald - not sure how or why he is going in the fifth round, but I will eat that value up with a spoon.
-Jeremy Langford - currently going late fourth/fifth round, but should get a ton of touches in Chicago, and he is good.
-Adrian Peterson - he won't be on any of my teams probably, because I rarely spend on the big RBs anymore, but going late first round seems like good value. He is a beast until proven otherwise.
-Danny Woodhead - finished 3rd in PPR last year, yet is going in the fifth round this year? Okay, he won't be that good again, but should still be good enough to outproduce his current ADP.

Sleepers I like:

Travis Benjamin, SD WR
Mohamed Sanu, ATL WR
Richard Matthews, Ten WR
Bilal Powell, NYJ RB
Derrick Henry, Ten RB

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: General fantasy football chatter - 2016 version
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 10:50:55 PM »
Picking second in a league on Monday. 12 teams and 1/2 point PPR. I've gotta go OBJ (assuming Antonio Brown goes 1st), right?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 06:01:51 AM »
OBJ or Julio Jones, yes.   David Johnson is breaking into the top 3 in a lot of drafts lately, but I think he is being overhyped just a tad.  Those top 3 WRs are all safer picks, and my feeling is that you don't want to blow your first round pick.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 07:42:25 AM »
Yeah, that's what I thought. Part of me was thinking Gurley since it's not full PPR, but was leaning towards OBJ anyway.

Also like what I'm hearing out of camp about rookies Sterling Shepard and Michael Thomas with the Giants and Saints. Would like to nab at least one of them as a late round pick.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 07:51:05 AM »
I'm avoiding OBJ like the plague. Can think of a lot of things that point to a bad year for him.

I'm all in on Dez Bryant. I think he is going to have an outstanding season.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 11:00:37 AM »
I'm avoiding OBJ like the plague. Can think of a lot of things that point to a bad year for him.
As long as he and Eli stay healthy, he'll have a good year. The Giants run one of the fastest paced offenses in the league and they throw the ball a lot. He'll get a ton of targets.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 04:35:29 PM »
Yep, the Giants are smart enough to feed Beckham the ball every week, so unless he gets hurt, he is too good to not put up big numbers again.  Touchdowns, as always, are unpredictable, but with the targets he gets, tons of catches and yards are a given.

As for Dez Bryant, he never gets the amount of targets the top WRs do, so he has to score a lot to keep pace with them, which he could certainly do.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 11:54:36 AM »
Defenses you are going to want your guys going against this season:

New Orleans (that's every season :lol)
San Diego
Cleveland

Offline j

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 02:15:28 PM »
Mike Evans!

-J

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 12:42:40 PM »
Had my fantasy football draft party yesterday. Scored the #1 pick of my 12 team PPR league. First five picks were Brown, Evans, Cooks, Reed & Brees, so I'm beyond ecstatic about that. RBs are my weakness with Langford, Hyde, Stewart and Starks, but I think it could be a great year overall.

Of course the Yahoo! Grade gave me an A+ and says I'll go 13-0.... but that doesn't mean a thing...if only.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 12:48:07 PM »
Dang, getting Evans at the end of the 2nd round is highway robbery.  I think he is going to have a monster season (even with TB having a tough schedule).

We did our annual big money auction league last night (what I paid for each in parenthesis).

QB: Brady (10)
QB: Bortles (2)

RB: McCoy (27)
RB: D. Henry (11)
RB: Woodhead (9)
RB: C. Simms (4)
RB: James White (3)
RB: Sproles (2)

WR: D. Thomas (30)
WR: E. Sanders (13)
WR. M. Evans (39)
WR: Stills (3)
WR: K. Aiken (1)

TE: Gronk (42)
TE: J. James (1)

K: D. Bailey (1)

D: Carolina (2)

I kind of wish I hadn't gotten both Broncos WRs, but Sanders was so cheap when he was out there that I couldn't not bid, and no one topped it, so here we are.  In retrospect, I would have rather gotten one of the Seattle WRs (who were for about the same as Sanders), but oh well.

The guys I really wanted were Evans, Demaryius (love his value this year), Derrick Henry and either Gronk or a top RB (Bell, Miller or D Johnson), so mission accomplished.

Woodhead for 9 is a steal (PPR, baby!), Aiken for a buck is a great buy, IMO, and them letting me get Bortles, whom I can use until Brady is back, for only two bucks was a blunder, I think.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 08:51:47 PM »
Just finished the draft for my league where I'm defending champion, pretty happy with how it turned out. 2RB/2WR and 1 flex, .5 PPR:

QB:
Aaron Rodgers
Philip Rivers

RB:
LeSean McCoy
DeMarco Murray
TJ Yeldon
Bilal Powell

WR:
Odell Beckham Jr
Keenan Allen
Larry Fitzgerald
Chris Hogan
Bruce Ellington

TE:
Zach Ertz
Julius Thomas
Tyler Eifert

Defense:
Jets

Kicker:
Matt Prater

Really happy with my starters at WR (with Fitz being my go to flex play), but my RBs probably have better depth as far as reserves. I know three TEs is a little bit odd, but it really just came down to value as everyone else seemed to be ignoring tight ends later on in the draft. Hopefully I'll be able to spin one of them off for an upgrade somewhere else later in the year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 08:23:46 AM »
I have my PPR draft Thursday and my Standard Draft Sunday. Both Leagues are 12 teams and I think I have 8th pick in both drafts. I've done several mocks at the 8th pick and the top tier WR's are always gone but Peterson has fallen more often than not. I've also noticed that if I go RB RB WR that my WRs are weak so I'm planning on going RB WR Best Available. Though it all depends on how the draft goes. I know someone in both leagues will take Cam in the first round. I'm not going QB until at least 5th round.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 08:10:44 AM »

We did our annual big money auction league last night (what I paid for each in parenthesis).

QB: Brady (10)
QB: Bortles (2)

RB: McCoy (27)
RB: D. Henry (11)
RB: Woodhead (9)
RB: C. Simms (4)
RB: James White (3)
RB: Sproles (2)

WR: D. Thomas (30)
WR: E. Sanders (13)
WR. M. Evans (39)
WR: Stills (3)
WR: K. Aiken (1)

TE: Gronk (42)
TE: J. James (1)

K: D. Bailey (1)

D: Carolina (2)

I kind of wish I hadn't gotten both Broncos WRs, but Sanders was so cheap when he was out there that I couldn't not bid, and no one topped it, so here we are.  In retrospect, I would have rather gotten one of the Seattle WRs (who were for about the same as Sanders), but oh well.

The guys I really wanted were Evans, Demaryius (love his value this year), Derrick Henry and either Gronk or a top RB (Bell, Miller or D Johnson), so mission accomplished.

Woodhead for 9 is a steal (PPR, baby!), Aiken for a buck is a great buy, IMO, and them letting me get Bortles, whom I can use until Brady is back, for only two bucks was a blunder, I think.

My team here finished 1st in our league in points and standings. :coolio :hat

And it was part of a bigger super league (six leagues with 12 teams each), where I finished 4th this past week out of the 72 teams, meaning I won $700 total (minus the $100 entry fee, $150 each for 1st in points and standings and $500 for finishing 4th).  1st place and winning 2K would have been nice, but I never really had a reliable number 2 RB (James White was my number 2 RB for most of the season once Woodhead went down), and I had to shuffle TEs once Gronk went down (L. Green, Pitta and Gates), so I cannot complain. 

Obviously, McCoy, Evans and Matt Bryant (whom I dropped Bailey for early on) were all huge, and Brady was mostly great from week 5 on.  The Broncos WRs, despite the offensive struggles, were actually very good, too (until this past week :lol). 

Oh, and I was dead wrong about E. Elliot. :facepalm: :lol