Author Topic: Monday, December 5th - Durham, NC (DPAC)  (Read 6361 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Monday, December 5th - Durham, NC (DPAC)
« on: August 22, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »
Fellas, the dream has come true! :metal

https://www.dpacnc.com/events/detail/dream-theater

Tickets appear to go on sale Friday. Who's planning on going?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:51:40 AM by hefdaddy42 »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Sunday, November 27 - Durham, NC (DPAC)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 01:33:31 PM »
Yo

I think at least one of my daughters will be coming with  :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 09:46:40 AM »
I'd say my wife and I will be there as well... 3-hours from the house means we'll sleep in our own bed that night!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:53:11 PM »
I'd say my wife and I will be there as well... 3-hours from the house means we'll sleep in our own bed that night!
:metal

You know we have to have a meetup.  If memory serves, there are multiple eating establishments within walking distance of the DPAC.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 08:52:18 AM »
:metal

You know we have to have a meetup.  If memory serves, there are multiple eating establishments within walking distance of the DPAC.

:metal Oh we'll do that for sure if we can make the show!  Once I know for certain I'll hit you up with a PM.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:16:30 AM »
OK, I got my tickets - my daughters are coming with me!  :metal

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »
It looks like North Carolina was removed from the tour list on both Facebook and Dreamtheater.net

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »
Weird. Last I checked, it wasn't selling all that well, as about half the seats were available. I still see the show on the DPAC site, so I'm hoping it wasn't cancelled.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 10:13:35 AM »
It looks like it is back on again according to their Facebook page tour dates. It disappeared for a few days.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 07:16:36 AM »
If they cancel that show I will become ultra pissed.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 07:56:44 AM »

You'll start posting madly as bluehef.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 09:56:32 AM »

He already does.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 12:41:09 PM »

He already does.
I know.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 08:16:43 AM »
I got an email from DPAC that the DT show was rescheduled from November 27th to December 5th.

I can live with that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Monday, December 5th - Durham, NC (DPAC)
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 08:04:27 AM »
OK, so who all is going?

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 09:00:22 PM »
I shall be there. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 08:51:04 AM »
Hey, guys!  I (in conjunction with Dream Theater USA) am helping to organize a meetup before the show at Bull City Burger & Brewery.  It's about a 5 minute walk from the DPAC.  The meetup is scheduled from 5pm-6:30pm.

Showtime is 7:30, and the doors to the venue open at 6:30, so the timing should be fine.  We would love to see you guys there!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 09:07:51 AM »
Hef, you may be occupied.  Please check PM and reply.  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
Hef, you may be occupied.  Please check PM and reply.  ;)
:tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 02:23:29 PM »
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the "official" meetup has been cancelled.  Sorry, anyone that may possibly have been interested.

But the show should still be awesome.  :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 01:15:45 PM »
Damn, too bad there were no unforeseen circumstances at my show! :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2016, 08:14:20 AM »
Damn, too bad there were no unforeseen circumstances at my show! :p
*shrugs*

Offline faizoff

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2016, 10:11:17 PM »
I know this isn't the right thread but I just came back from the Clearwater show and I have to say I got very emotional at the end and almost broke into tears. I realized at the concert that I've been following this band for the last 25 years and seeing them just struck some emotional chord that made me feel all tingly inside. The concert was flawless and absolutely amazing. I'm seriously thinking of seeing them again tomorrow in Orlando after that performance because I assume they're not filming this tour for a video release which would be an absolute shame as that lighting was superb throughout.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »
Nice!  Great to hear!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2016, 01:15:13 PM »
Faizoff, I'm still not counting out a video release.  I don't have any specific information one way or the other, but I do know that they had planned to do one, and I have not heard anything to the contrary, so I am hoping.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2016, 08:24:10 PM »
I hope you're right bosk, just seems highly unlikely to me because I figure they'd have announced it already by now. And with them announcing the I&W dates for next year and JP stating that they're not going to be playing the whole album again it just doesn't seem like it will happen. But anyways I'm hoping otherwise too. I think I've come to a realization that I love this new album way more than I originally had.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »
Only one more day! I am so excited! Looking forward to meeting a few fellow forumers and seeing a great show! It also looks like there's going to be a nice crowd on hand. Can't wait! :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 08:44:55 AM »
Only one more day! I am so excited! Looking forward to meeting a few fellow forumers and seeing a great show! It also looks like there's going to be a nice crowd on hand. Can't wait! :metal
Looking forward to seeing you tonight!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 05:35:32 AM »
Well, that was a hell of a show. 

Due to the generosity of bosk1 and band management, my girls and I received VIP preshow treatment, as well as after show passes.  Of course, that was a complete surprise for my girls.  I didn't tell them about any extras until we got to the show lol

Lining up for the preshow stuff was supposed to take place from 4:30-5.  So of course, as soon as I exited off the highway into downtown Durham, we hit a traffic jam.  It put me a few minutes behind my personal timeline, but even though I was a little pissed, that's why we had left a little earlier than we needed to.

Then, when we got to the venue area, right around 4:30, we were unable to park at the venue's parking deck, because it doesn't open for venue events until 5pm; during the day, it is used for area downtown business parking.  Also, no other parking right at the venue.  Shit.

We go a couple of streets up to another parking deck, and finally find a spot on the third level.  So, we aren't parking where I wanted, and due to traffic and parking, we aren't LATE, but just behind my personal schedule.

The delays were worth it, because as soon as we walked out of the ground floor of the parking deck, we run into Jordan Rudess.  He had just met his wife for a cup of tea and was walking back to the venue.  We struck up a conversation, and he asked me if I was going to the preshow events.  When I said "yes" he said, "OK, let's just walk over together."  Totally the nicest guy, and that's an experience you can't pay for.

So, we get into the venue, and meet Zippy, who works for the band.  She gives my girls and I swag bags and badges and puts us in line with the other VIP peeps.

Then came the preshow VIP photo ops and meet & greet.  No pics from that (not allowed to take any), but Zippy took all of the pics, and they will be made available later.

So, the minds of my daughters are completely blown, even before the start of the show.  Nice.

We get into the venue and get our seats.  Not too bad.  I got a quick pic before the phone police made me cut it out.

So, we have Act 1 of the show.  It was awesome, and loud as hell.  My girls are thunderstruck.  At intermission, I meet up with fellow forum member TheOutlawXanadu really quickly, and I gave him one of the extra after show passes I had received.

OK, so Act 2 of the show happens, and it is just as awesome as Act 1 (maybe even a little better - I am one of the few who like Act 2 better).  Then we have the three song encore, and that shit was off the hook.  You should have seen my girls and I totally headbanging during As I Am and Pull Me Under.  My girls were extremely exhausted after the show, and that's OK.

So, the aftershow.  I text another friend who had come to the show (and who, incidentally, had gone to the only other DT show I had ever attended with me - the SCORE show in NYC) to come down to my seat, and I would give him and his buddy some other goodies.  Of course, he was already outside by that time, and texted back that he was locked out.  I told him I was sorry, and we would hook up again some other time.

So, we get to the after show.  At first, JP was the only one out there, and he was very gracious and entertaining to the crowd.  The other members eventually came out, (one by one, they came), and were all, again, very gracious and pleasant, even though they were obviously tired.

Lo and behold, my friend who had been locked out shows up.  I said "How the hell did you get down here?"  He said he was able to talk a security guard into letting him back into the venue, and then, once inside, he told whomever he talked to MY NAME and they brought him to the aftershow.  No shit.  So I gave him the passes as a souvenir, and he got a really nice experience as well. 

So, some pics:

And here is a pic of my daughters smelling Mike Mangin's hair.  His idea, and I don't get it, but he's an eccentric dude.  Also, his hair smells like trees.

All in all, an incredible evening that my daughters and I will remember forever.  Thanks again to bosky, and to the band and their management for setting up this, well, ASTONISHING experience.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 06:36:42 AM »
That's awesome Hef! Glad you all had such a nice experience! I'm so hoping to eventually get to see the guys. I've never seen them live and had to miss both shows in NC  :sadpanda:  (and they don't come here often). Great looking out Bosk1! Smiled big just reading and looking at the pics.  :tup

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 06:42:52 AM »
Great post Hef! Many thanks to you, Bosk, and anyone else involved for getting me a backstage pass as well. Like I mentioned yesterday, if someone had told me last month that I would spend a little time with Dream Theater at the show, I would have said they were crazy! :lol

With regards to the show itself: It was absolutely, positively brilliant. I was fortunate enough to grab a great seat about 15 yards from the stage and had a perfect view of pretty much everything (except Jordan, who sometimes disappeared behind JMX :biggrin:). While I thought the visuals were amazing when I saw them back in April at Radio City, I appreciated them even more last night. Everyone in the band was on fire. The crowd seemed totally in awe of what they were seeing. And I must say that, while I love The Astonishing, cutting out a few songs and then playing some classics was a great move. Everyone went completely bonkers when As I Am started.

Oh, and I'd be amiss if I didn't mention that the Durham Performing Arts Center was a great venue for the band. The sound was very good and every good seat was filled (there were some seats tucked away in the back corners that I don't think anyone wanted). I don't really know enough about how this stuff works to comment intelligently, but based on the awesome turnout, I am hopeful that they will come back to NC one day.

Thanks DT for a terrific, unforgettable show! :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 08:06:12 AM »
Great post Hef! Many thanks to you, Bosk, and anyone else involved for getting me a backstage pass as well.

Funny thing about that.  JP texted me right afterward and said that he met some guy from the forum who was really seasoned.  I think you need to change your custom title now.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 08:12:03 AM »
Wow, jealous of that after-show experience. Years ago I contributed $500 to Jordan's orchestral album on PledgeMusic to receive two aftershow passes, and it ended up just being John and Jordan, and while Jordan was super nice, John never got the opportunity to meet with us as he was talking to a friend of a friend that was there for the whole time.

It ended up being quite underwhelming and was the first time I ever regretted a DT-related purchase (especially now seeing others get a much better experience for free  :lol).
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »
Those are some amazing write-ups. Great to read all of it. Kudos, guys.  :tup

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 10:55:13 AM »
Great post Hef! Many thanks to you, Bosk, and anyone else involved for getting me a backstage pass as well.

Funny thing about that.  JP texted me right afterward and said that he met some guy from the forum who was really seasoned.  I think you need to change your custom title now.

My apologies if this has been asked before, but why/how do you have JP's number?