Author Topic: Cameras/phones at live concerts  (Read 790 times)

Offline Cable

Cameras/phones at live concerts
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:37:44 PM »
Sorry if I missed the thread elsewhere for this; close it if that is the case. So this seems to be an on-going thing that is getting worse with musicians. After reading this;
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/rhcps_kiedis_people_with_cameras_are_whats_wrong_with_concerts_today.html
, and coupled with Corey Taylor slapping a phone from someone. https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/watch-slipknot-corey-taylor-smack-phone-out-of-hands-of-texting-fan/
And also Draiman from Disturbed speaking out against someone on Twitter.

Can someone tell me why the extreme opinions from musicians? More so, slapping phones from people and possibly destroying them? Honestly, I feel they should get over themselves. Sure, people are distracted more than ever, and should be paying attention to the performance. But that is their lose. I know I don't record crap, or tweet at shows. That is my choice though. If musicians are so worried about people not enjoying the moment, then maybe they should go after liquor sales too. Because I can share more stories about people vomiting on the floor because they are so intoxicated or blitzed, vs. people spending too much time on their phone. Yet I don't see this large outcry with that, and I would bet that the blitzed dude will remember far less than the person tweeting.

Also with DT banning recording of this last tour, and significant enforcement of it; am I missing something? Recordings of stuff has been a huge thing pre-camera phones. If anything, I like the easier availability of live material. It allows me to see a band raw if I want to, vs. high quality possibly doctored footage and/or sound.
---

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Cameras/phones at live concerts
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »
I'm 100% fine with musicians fucking with people for this. For every dickhead that spends at least a quarter of the show, if not a lot more, with their phone out, there are at least five to ten other people around them who are having their experience compromised if not entirely ruined cuz some shitsack millennial has to have everything cater to them with zero regard for the fact that others have paid good money for a (hopefully) good night.

American society has beyond gone to shit cuz of fuckheads who will never correct their inconsiderate behavior on their own but instead will only do so when faced with some kind of immediate consequence.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:31:08 PM »
I can't think of a single time my concert experience has been ruined by somebody with a cellphone. Not one. They're missing out, but they don't bug me in the slightest and I'll often appreciate the video they shoot. For the life of me I can't understand all the whining about it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 11:35:49 PM »
I'm 100% fine with musicians fucking with people for this. For every dickhead that spends at least a quarter of the show, if not a lot more, with their phone out, there are at least five to ten other people around them who are having their experience compromised if not entirely ruined cuz some shitsack millennial has to have everything cater to them with zero regard for the fact that others have paid good money for a (hopefully) good night.

This.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 11:40:17 PM »
I can't think of a single time my concert experience has been ruined by somebody with a cellphone. Not one. They're missing out, but they don't bug me in the slightest and I'll often appreciate the video they shoot. For the life of me I can't understand all the whining about it.
This.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 11:46:42 PM »
I mean out of the four concerts that I've been to in person, I can honestly say that I had no problems at all regarding cameras/phones affecting my sight or enjoyment.  The loudness and hearing Myles Kennedy (when I saw him with Slash and Alter Bridge) talk in a helium voice in between songs was a problem (but that's another issue to talk about for another day)  Then again, I was in the nosebleeds seats during those shows, so maybe there could be a difference in the GA section?

With that said, I'm 50/50 on the matter.  Sure, I would rather see people enjoy the concert in real time as oppose to focusing on filming it or taking pictures/selfies during the concert.  I do think phones/cameras could affect how involved and enthusiastic the crowd can be.  I can imagine it would be really hard to clap hands in tune with the vocalist, get the fists in the air, headbang, etc if you got a phone in your hand.

That stated, if I hear word that someone's got a periscope stream of a band I like or I hear word that a band I like played this rare song from their catalog, I would certainly want to see footage of that and I mentally thank those that film it.  It's a give and take, pros and cons sort of thing. 

I can imagine guys like Corey Taylor and David Draiman would be miffed about it, since the songs of their respective bands are so energy driven that a crowd full of cell phones/camera users might kill the buzz of the concert.  With that said, I wished they would approach these matters better as oppose to outright shaming and singling out a particular person and embarrassing them.  Despite how people perceive them, Corey Taylor and David Draiman are a lot more articulate than what people give them credit for, but sometimes during their concerts, ego could get the best of a person and sometimes words/actions leads to negative buzz about them.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 03:16:37 AM »
Same here. I'll try to snap a few good photos, but I don't use my phone much at concerts. That said, if you want to use yours, go right ahead. Honestly, I think some of these musicians just need to suck it up and realize that times have changed. This is your audience now. These are the people who pay your bills. If you don't like it, oh well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 04:25:37 AM »
People on this forum know how I feel about this.  I'm pro cell phone. A few pictures are not going to kill no one.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:50:49 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 06:29:35 AM »
When I was in my early 20's I was always so obsessed with getting video/pics of a concert and then as I got older, I realized I looked at that stuff once and then forgot about it, so now a days I just go to the concert and don't mess with my phone.

I don't mind people snapping a couple pics or maybe recording their favorite song or whatever, but I have had 2 concerts really screwed up from someone right in front of me recording like half the show. That stuff gets annoying.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 07:02:31 AM »
If it was only "a couple of photos", it wouldn't bug me in the least, except people are dicks, and always want to push the envelope.   I was at Keith Urban a couple years ago (don't knock it; the dude can play guitar like a champ) and was in the second row of the pit.  The woman next to me (not with me) had an iPad, and held it up recording the whole show.   The glare from the screen, her fat elbows... brutal.

Blackmore's Night have a policy that I thought was cool:   unlimited photos for the first two songs only, then no photography of any kind.   Of course, people are dicks, and so... security spent the better part of the third song flashing lights at people to get them to put their damn phones away.   

I can understand an artist not wanting to stare at a sea of cellphones, especially knowing that half-assed, grainy video with tinny sound is going to be the thing that many take away from your show.   Take your handful of pictures, and put your phone back in your pocket.   Enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells of everything going on around you.   

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »
I find it very distracting when the person a row in front of me is recording video or taking too many pictures. They hold it up high and that bright screen I blaring in my face. It takes away from the concert experience and it's rude!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
Of course what Stadler went through and Architeuthis talks about is the issue. I personally don't like that either. A few pics and I'm happy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 08:19:33 AM »
I don't mind it too much, I just feel sorry for them as living life through a lens isn't really living it. You detach yourself from it, whether that's your intention or not.

What annoys me is when people have their phones out at a gig, especially at a metal gig with a full on pit going, and they get shitty when their phone is knocked out their hands. Like, come on, what do you expect??

To be fair I often spend my time at gigs with my head down, eyes closed and headbanging  :lol

I am not interested in the slightest about staring at the band on stage. I find I enjoy the experience and feel the music more when I'm just in the pit doing my own thing. I probably look like a twat but hey, I enjoy it.