Author Topic: Another Metroid II Remake!  (Read 657 times)

Offline ytsejam58

Another Metroid II Remake!
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:14:16 AM »
I just felt like sharing because Metroid is an awesome series of games.
Unlike Mario where they troll out game after game and each one of them just feels like a carbon copy of the last, Metroid is an IP that focuses on Great game design and atmosphere every single time. There is the main series, Metroid through Fusion, and then there's the Prime series for the Gamecube and Wii, And... we don't talk about Other M. Actually, as much as fans like to crap all over Other M, I felt like the gameplay ran rather smoothly. If they took the same controls and made a completely non-narrative driven game out of it, it would be a pretty solid game... Anyway!
The reason I bring this up is because, It has been a while since we had a True metroid game from Nintendo, so fans like DoctorM64 has been working behind the scenes to recreate one of the overlooked titles in the series, Metroid II: Return of Samus
In Metroid II, Samus goes to the Metroid planet of SR388 to wipe out the metroids at the source. That's pretty much it. I know a lot of people complain about the backtracking in Metroid games. Well, this title was very streamlined. See, there was a counter of metroids in an area. And when all the metroids in that area were defeated, you could move on to the next. Rinse, Lather, Repeat. Now you might be thinking "Well that's boring!" But no. Because, the stronger you get, the stronger the metroids get. They evolve.
This game was originally for the Gameboy so needless to say, the graphics and the controls are WAY outdated. Thankfully, DoctorM64 used the same engine that was used in Metroid Zero Mission (IMO The best handheld Metroid) so the game gets the same zippy tight controls as that game. The layout is largely based on the layout of the original but with a lot of artistic liberties taken as well. It feels like a whole new game while still keeping true to it's origin. Much like Metroid Zero Mission
Now, upon it's official complete release, Nintendo immediately shut down all of the download codes for 1.0. But! There is a new 1.1 version out now with major bug fixes. So there's still hope to play this!
If you love metroid, if you love retro games, if want something new and exciting to play on your PC, I highly recommend this one.
Google, Another Metroid II Remake or just AM2R and it should take you right to their forum page.
I got 68% collection rate the last time I beat it so I should be going back to find all of the secrets.

Now if only they made a Super Metroid remake with the controls of Zero Mission. That would be the perfect trilogy of games EVER!

Also. What the Heck nintendo. Instead of shutting down the operation, why don't you, IDK, buy the game from them and make it officially Nintendo?! It's as good if not better than all the other games you released. Or if not. HIRE the man! Him and his team are more than capable of designing an amazing game on their own. Why not put them in charge of the next Metroid game instead of that stupid Galactic Federation thing you've been working on. Keep the Metroid legacy alive!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Re: Another Metroid II Remake!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »
Word. This game was a lot of fun. Played 1.0 while it was out. Only took a couple days to finish, and my gravity suit turned me invisible (one of the bugs I hope they fixed in 1.1), but it was a good run, and I'll probably grab 1.1 if I can before Nintendo eats it and give it a run through.

But seriously Nintendo, get off your ass and start making some friggin games. No Zelda or Metroid for Wii U 4 years after it comes out is pitiful, to put it nicely.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Another Metroid II Remake!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 02:58:24 PM »
Super Metroid is one of my all time favourite games.