Author Topic: Best place to sell a DVD collection  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Best place to sell a DVD collection
« on: August 18, 2016, 12:37:32 AM »
I've never sold anything before and I'm looking for advice.
I see a lot of locations for a chain store called CD/DVD Exchange or something like that, I'm not sure if it's the right way to go because someone told me I would probably get more value for my movies DVD collection online. I looked around the web and Amazon for example doesn't have some of the movie titles I've got available for trade-ins, like American History X, Secret Window or Troy.
Also it seems like Amazon wants me to send my DVD individually, one-by-one, they pay shipping but it's a lot of labels to print and I gotta go print at Kinko's, a whole pain the ass thing.
Any advice is appreciated.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Best place to sell a DVD collection
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 07:18:27 AM »
Depends on your goals.  "Trade-ins" at a DVD exchange or whatnot will get you 50% or less of any value you have (which probably isn't high to begin with).  Remember, they have to turn around and sell it, and still make money on it.  For highest returns, probably selling it used on eBay or Amazon is your best bet, in my opinion.   Or for good vibes, give them to Good Will or something similar and take a tax reduction. 

Music DVDs or movies?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 09:22:29 AM »
I've sold old video games back on amazon and they did not do individual shipping labels, one label and shoved it all in one box.

I've sold plenty of things on ebay, there are lots of fees from ebay and paypal but even with those it still might be more money back than selling to a reseller.  However, it's more work.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 09:36:27 AM »
I recently used decluttr.com.  Have to have a bar code and boxes, but they pay shipping.  I got about $50 for about 110 DVDs / blurays / PS2 games.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 11:06:05 AM »
Probably not a pawn shop. I go to a local pawn shop to buy DVDs and I get 20 for $15, which means they're paying less than that for them.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »
This thread inspired me to send a bunch of stuff to Amazon. I'm getting about $42 for 60+ CDs, DVDs, and books. Unfortunately, Amazon didn't accept quite a few of the CDs and DVDs I wanted to send.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 04:33:22 PM »
Thanks a lot for the replies everyone!

Music DVDs or movies?

About 30 movies, only a couple of music ones.

I've sold old video games back on amazon and they did not do individual shipping labels, one label and shoved it all in one box.

It doesn't have an option to keep adding items to the trade in, it takes me to the Print Label page after I find the title I want to send in, it's either they don't have it or I couldn't find it but I really looked. Amazon would probably be my solution if that problem is solved.
Also the only payment option I found with Amazon is Amazon Gift Card, which is okay since I got a bunch of things for my kids from there on monthly basis.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 05:21:26 PM »
Once I clicked "trade in" on any particular item, it just let me keep searching for more items (until I hit their limit of 50 items per shipment).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 07:25:48 AM »
Once I clicked "trade in" on any particular item, it just let me keep searching for more items (until I hit their limit of 50 items per shipment).

This. and Yea, you only get an amazon gift card credited to your account, but since amazon is pretty awesome, it's almost as good as cash towards any store.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 10:11:16 AM »
Your best bet is to sell them individually on craigslist or ebay. You may get a few bucks each for any that people are interested in. Likely you'll end up with a bunch that you'll sell as a lot for 50 cents each.