Author Topic: The DTF Bucket List Thread v. My Bucket Is Half Empty  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The DTF Bucket List Thread v. My Bucket Is Half Empty
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2016, 12:47:47 PM »
That sounds so appealing. I'll have to see what's out there.

I don't know about cross country but I took a train (sleeper room) from Chicago to New York and it was I think over 1000 dollars. Great experience but I don't plan on being able to do it again any time soon.

I remember looking at those prices and thinking that they were basically exploiting those who have a fear of flying but need to get across country in a reasonable time. Connecticut to the west coast was going to be like $4800 or something like that. Somewhere around $650ish a day.

It's something to consider for the future.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2016, 12:49:29 PM »
Oh I'd like to travel the Europe with train
Cool, that'd be fun :)
You're invited :) we can meet halfway, in south Germany, I think.
You should team up with Steven Wilson.

...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2016, 12:52:53 PM »
I'm not sure what's appealing about traveling by train.  I've done it from Maryland to Florida and other than the fact you don't have to drive, it was fairly miserable from my memory as a kid.  I'd rather drive and be in control personally.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2016, 01:04:36 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but I guess Americans generally don't travel by train as much as we do here, most people I know go to work and school by train everyday so it's just what we're used to.

Apart from me not having a drivers license and not planning to get one anytime soon because it's completely useless to me right now, some areas I passed 2 years ago when traveling through Europe I'm pretty sure weren't even accessible by car. Oh and usually the seats are more comfortable aswell.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2016, 01:18:03 PM »
Yeah long distance trains in the US aren't great. They are slow, have bad track record for being on time, and really expensive. Logically they are the worst option for any means of travel.

That being said, I'd still love to do it one day. Right now, a more short term goal is to take the Empire Builder line from Chicago to Seattle. It seems like it's the most scenic route of all the Amtrak lines.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2016, 01:18:23 PM »
I'm not sure what's appealing about traveling by train.  I've done it from Maryland to Florida and other than the fact you don't have to drive, it was fairly miserable from my memory as a kid.  I'd rather drive and be in control personally.

If you have your own private room with a toilet and shower, I can see the appeal. If it was just like the trains I take into NYC for a few days, it'd suck the big one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2016, 01:26:48 PM »

If you have your own private room with a toilet and shower, I can see the appeal. If it was just like the trains I take into NYC for a few days, it'd suck the big one.

Didn't know you can get such privacy.  BUt the Amtrak trains are much nicer than what you what commute with into NYC (at least in NJ).

One thing I've noticed while driving randomly throughout different areas of the US this year (I'm looking at you Wyoming) is that unlike NJ there aren't really many cops out so you can kind of do what you want in a way.  I really enjoy pushing my rental cars to the fastest point.  Then finding some random spot to chill for a bit in the middle of nowhere.  Can't do that with a train.  On a train, you can booze though.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »

I've done a bit of research on this as well. Apparently of those who drop the money for a bedroom (with bathroom) over a roomette (no bathroom), they still shower in the dedicated car showers instead of of the private one. it's so small, you'd end up shower while on the toilet otherwise.

On a train, you can booze though.

You can only booze with your own on the train if you get your own cabin. In coach you're technically not allowed to bring your own alcohol.

From reading about dozens of other trips and advice from long time riders, it sounds like the roomette is the best value. Apparently the private bathroom isn't really worth it, and it's nicer to spend most of the time in the lounge car as opposed to your closet of a room anyway. Also, if you get a sleeper room, all your meals in the dining car are free. That's a plus as they are pretty over priced.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »
On a train, you can booze though.

You can only booze with your own on the train if you get your own cabin. In coach you're technically not allowed to bring your own alcohol.

Really?  Even on the NJ Transit trains you can drink.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2016, 02:23:08 PM »
I meant Amtrak. I didn't know you talking about something else. My experience with commuter trains is that unless specified due to a certain event, you can booze it up all you want.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2016, 02:24:27 PM »
I meant Amtrak. I didn't know you talking about something else. My experience with commuter trains is that unless specified due to a certain event, you can booze it up all you want.

No I meant Amtrak, I just figured if you can booze on NJ Transit, you could booze on Amtrak since that's long haul and would mean you'd be more likely to want to have some drinks.  I even thought they sold it on the trains, but it's been so long since I rode one.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2016, 02:32:13 PM »
Speaking of trains, I wouldn't mind trying the Trans Siberian. Also in Canada I would like to do the almost coast to coast ride, it starts if I remember correctly around Montreal or Toronto (so not exactly on the Atlantic) and ends up in Vancouver where there is actually the KM 0. So I would take a continental journey only to arrive at the beginning, it's a wonderful concept about the ever continuing nature of travelling!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2016, 02:47:47 PM »

No I meant Amtrak, I just figured if you can booze on NJ Transit, you could booze on Amtrak since that's long haul and would mean you'd be more likely to want to have some drinks.  I even thought they sold it on the trains, but it's been so long since I rode one.

I think that's the catch, since Amtrak is selling drinks they don't want you to be able to bring them on for free.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2016, 02:49:35 PM »
I think that's the catch, since Amtrak is selling drinks they don't want you to be able to bring them on for free.

You've got it. You can buy booze from the dining or snack car, but you aren't allowed to bring your own unless you have a sleeper room.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2016, 02:50:51 PM »
I'd imagine they wouldnt notice vodka in a water bottle  :lol but OK, I thought you meant you actually cannot booze at all.  If they sell it, then alls good.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2016, 02:56:02 PM »
Yes, you right. I'm just stating the official rules. Of course how they are enforced depends on how strict the conductors are and how discrete you are.  ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 04:31:31 PM »
So I would say my realistic one would be to rent a RV and spend a month or two touring the north American continent. (US and Canada)

My ops manager at work is quitting and doing this exact thing with his wife...for a year.  Seriously.  His last day is tomorrow, and he said they want to do this while they still can (they have a daughter who will start preschool next year, so the next 12 months is their opportunity).  His wife does consulting, so she can still do that on the road and they can live off that in the meantime (plus, I am guessing they save well).  It sucks that he is leaving, since he is a really good boss, but it's hard not to admire him for having the balls to do this.

I'd love to know what an adventure like that ends up costing once all is said an done. Has he ever mentioned how much he's saved/put away for this trip?

No idea, and I am not about to ask. For obvious reasons.

I don't think it'd be rude at all. Honestly. When I bought my house, all my friends beat around the bush trying to ask me what it cost (I don't know why they just didn't go on zillow to see what I paid), and I don't understand why. They are people who are considering one day making a financial decision similar to one I just made. They're just trying to research and get an idea about what they're in for. They're just trying to plan. No harm in that.

I should have worded my response better earlier.

I am not going to ask because my boss is a fairly guarded person who doesn't really offer up a lot about his personal life, so I think asking him would be a waste of time.  Plus, he is my boss, not a friend, so I think it would feel like prying.  Just my thoughts.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »
Oh I'd like to travel the Europe with train, especially West and North Europe. I love trains, unlike most (or should I say 'all') people I know but travelling alone wouldn't be too shabby either.

One of my bucket list items was to buy a convertible and drive through Europe. I love watching the old top gear specials where the race or drive through Europe in these gorgeous cars.

I'd go solo, some music and the sights.