Author Topic: The DTF Bucket List Thread v. My Bucket Is Half Empty  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
The DTF Bucket List Thread v. My Bucket Is Half Empty
« on: August 16, 2016, 05:34:17 AM »
Let's hear some of the items on your bucket list, especially the ones that you know have no chance of happening. Those always seem to have the best story behind them.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The DTF Bucket List Thread v. My Bucket Is Half Empty
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:05:27 AM »
1. Skydiving
2. Buy a motorcycle
3. Having a child

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:49:32 PM »
Visit Iran.

Since you asked for stuff I know can't happen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 01:31:19 AM »
 :lol

Hmmmmmmmm.... gonna have to think about it, but at the top would be to see IQ again live.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »
Have a comfortable BM. :emo:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 08:53:59 AM »
1) Drive a monster truck
2) Zero Gravity Plane
3) Watch all 5 Avatar movies in 3D Imax back to back to back to back to back.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »
The biggest one is I would love to play guitar for a large audience. I don't see it every happening because even if I ever got into a position to be able to play I have crippling stage freight.

I remember when I played at my high school's battle of the bands, I don't think I've sweat that much ever in my life.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 02:12:28 PM »
So I would say my realistic one would be to rent a RV and spend a month or two touring the north American continent. (US and Canada)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 03:00:10 PM »
So I would say my realistic one would be to rent a RV and spend a month or two touring the north American continent. (US and Canada)

This so much, I would LOVE to do something like this.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 03:12:15 PM »
1. Skydiving X
2. Buy a motorcycle √
3. Having a child X.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 03:12:52 PM »
The biggest one is I would love to play guitar for a large audience. I don't see it every happening because even if I ever got into a position to be able to play I have crippling stage freight.

I remember when I played at my high school's battle of the bands, I don't think I've sweat that much ever in my life.

I love performing for a large crowd. It's more embarrassing and awkward to play to a tiny crowd.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
I love riding a bicycle. So far I didn't make any really big routes since my bike is in pretty bad shape, but one day when I buy myself better bike I'd like to do a big bicycle trip, like multiple hundreds of kilometres long.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 03:35:12 PM »
The big one for me is probably doing a beer tour through Belgium. So many cool old breweries in that country.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »

You and me. We're going to recreate Lost In America. We can even take turns being Julie Haggerty.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 05:33:41 AM »

Is there a DTF road trip in the future?  :lol  Each coast will start off and head towards the geographic center of the US - Lebanon, Kansas.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 05:48:55 AM »

Victoria and I have been talking about renting something small like this and driving across the country. Get one in CT, drive it to Washington, and then fly home. Not counting overages on miles driven, you can get the small one seen below for $100-$120 a day. They have a toilet and shower too!

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/rent/our_vehicles/compact_rv.aspx

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2016, 05:59:35 AM »
Visiting Norway, but I sure as hell hope it's not gonna stay just a dream.

Oh, for an unrealistic one... I would love to work in a beautiful new square in Milan, built in recent years, I just love being there, too bad it's all occupied by a banking company and no way with my professional background, which is totally different, I could get hired in a bank office.

I won't cluster the thread with bigass images but just google for Piazza Gae Aulenti:

https://www.google.com/search?q=piazza+gae+aulenti&espv=2&biw=1270&bih=927&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWwrDM9MrOAhWDGCwKHeVAC5sQ_AUIBigB

That's on my unrealistic bucket list, work there from anyday it happens until my retirement.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2016, 06:08:51 AM »

My ops manager at work is quitting and doing this exact thing with his wife...for a year.  Seriously.  His last day is tomorrow, and he said they want to do this while they still can (they have a daughter who will start preschool next year, so the next 12 months is their opportunity).  His wife does consulting, so she can still do that on the road and they can live off that in the meantime (plus, I am guessing they save well).  It sucks that he is leaving, since he is a really good boss, but it's hard not to admire him for having the balls to do this.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2016, 06:11:03 AM »

My ops manager at work is quitting and doing this exact thing with his wife...for a year.  Seriously.  His last day is tomorrow, and he said they want to do this while they still can (they have a daughter who will start preschool next year, so the next 12 months is their opportunity).  His wife does consulting, so she can still do that on the road and they can live off that in the meantime (plus, I am guessing they save well).  It sucks that he is leaving, since he is a really good boss, but it's hard not to admire him for having the balls to do this.

I'd love to know what an adventure like that ends up costing once all is said an done. Has he ever mentioned how much he's saved/put away for this trip?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2016, 06:19:55 AM »
That's awesome for your boss Kev, so jealous. 

I've been trying to do mini tours of states on my own.  Been able to do Arizona and Texas this year, really want to do the pacific northwest next.  I find this is the best for now since taking more than a month off is just not going to happen, plus I need a partner in crime to do a whole US tour.  However, it is definitely a dream that lives on for me.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2016, 06:23:59 AM »
Release an album
Play the whole thing live for a large crowd
Tour the thing

Buy a car
Buy a house
Get a job (:lol this should probably come first)

Visit South America
Not buy a return ticket for a holiday
Learn Spanish properly

Road Trip Eastern Europe

Run a marathon
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 06:33:29 AM »

I'd love to know what an adventure like that ends up costing once all is said an done. Has he ever mentioned how much he's saved/put away for this trip?

No idea, and I am not about to ask. For obvious reasons.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 06:42:28 AM »

No idea, and I am not about to ask. For obvious reasons.

I don't think it'd be rude at all. Honestly. When I bought my house, all my friends beat around the bush trying to ask me what it cost (I don't know why they just didn't go on zillow to see what I paid), and I don't understand why. They are people who are considering one day making a financial decision similar to one I just made. They're just trying to research and get an idea about what they're in for. They're just trying to plan. No harm in that.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:58:52 AM by Chino »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 11:05:25 AM »
  • Travel around the country by train
  • Visit Europe

Preferably not alone.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »
I've always wanted to take a cross-country train ride. I'd probably do a lot of research to pick the perfect trip, because I'm anal like that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
We looked into taking a train across country and it was about five times more expensive than anticipated.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »
I figured it would be expensive. Which company were you thinking of using?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2016, 11:54:09 AM »
I figured it would be expensive. Which company were you thinking of using?

We were looking about a year ago, so I don't remember for sure. We looked at a few and I think Amtrak might have been the cheapest. We were looking at trains with sleeper rooms in them.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2016, 11:57:13 AM »
That sounds so appealing. I'll have to see what's out there.

Online Adami

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2016, 11:59:27 AM »
That sounds so appealing. I'll have to see what's out there.

I don't know about cross country but I took a train (sleeper room) from Chicago to New York and it was I think over 1000 dollars. Great experience but I don't plan on being able to do it again any time soon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2016, 12:01:47 PM »
Jesus, buying a car and selling it at the destination is a way cheaper option then even.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2016, 12:04:01 PM »
I remember looking at those prices and thinking that they were basically exploiting those who have a fear of flying but need to get across country in a reasonable time. Connecticut to the west coast was going to be like $4800 or something like that. Somewhere around $650ish a day.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2016, 12:36:07 PM »
Oh I'd like to travel the Europe with train, especially West and North Europe. I love trains, unlike most (or should I say 'all') people I know but travelling alone wouldn't be too shabby either.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2016, 12:38:47 PM »
Oh I'd like to travel the Europe with train, especially West and North Europe. I love trains, unlike most (or should I say 'all') people I know but travelling alone wouldn't be too shabby either.

You should team up with Steven Wilson.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2016, 12:39:42 PM »
Oh I'd like to travel the Europe with train
Cool, that'd be fun :)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.