Author Topic: Live moments that made it onto future albums  (Read 2429 times)

Offline ytsejam58

Live moments that made it onto future albums
« on: August 13, 2016, 08:22:48 PM »
Okay let me explain this one. The idea of this thread it to pinpoint the moments that happen live that make it into the writing process of the next album
The one I can think of is Flying Colors. During their live in Europe album Casey starts singing the intro to Peaceful Harbor before going into Halleluja. That then makes it onto the next album as the running theme for Peaceful Harbor.
But I also noticed that in Yessongs, Chris Squire's (RIP) bass solo sounds a lot like a riff from Through the Light on their Drama album many years later. Listening closely it can actually be heard on Fragile but it is very faint so I didn't really consider it.
But anyway! Are there any examples you can think of of live moments making it onto albums?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Live moments that made it onto future albums
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 08:28:38 PM »
An obvious one is Dream Theater taking the Puppies on Acid intro, which was played on the I&W tour, and turning it into the beginning of The Mirror.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 08:31:28 PM »
Does Pain of Salvation's BE technically make it in here?

If not, I am pretty sure they played a small part of Nauticus on 12:5. I'd have to relisten to find where though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 08:36:46 PM »
You can hear the riff from Zeppelin's Achilles Last Stand in the Dazed and Confused live jam.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 08:46:17 PM »
Eddie Van Halen played 316 live as part of his solo for years before it finally appeared on Carnal Knowledge.

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 09:30:20 PM »
This is really awesome guys! Thank you so much for the great suggestions.
I think in Rush's ABC First American Broadcast, Part of their Working Man solo begame By Tor and the Snow Dog.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 11:22:49 PM »
I just thought of another one. Aerosmith used to cover Fleetwood Mac's Rattlesnake Shake early on in their career (there's a 1971 recording on Pandora's Box), and their version was 10 minutes long and incorporated a lot of original music, including one riff that was later used as the outro for Rats In The Cellar in 1976. That alone is cool, but what really pushed this over the edge for me was when I was listening to demos of the Rocks sessions that someone had posted on YouTube (and unfortunately, they're no longer available), and on the demo for RITC, the outro is slightly longer, and it features another part of the Rattlesnake Shake ending that got cut from the final version of Rats In The Cellar. Aerosmith still play Rattlesnake Shake every now and then, and when they do, they usually pair it up with Rats In The Cellar.

Offline krands85

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 05:09:43 AM »
One that comes to mind for me is a riff that Muse used to regularly play at the end of Stockholm Syndrome, but which was played as far back as 1999. Different clips of it through the years

I always wanted them to include it as part of a song on a studio album and they finally did it on 'Psycho' from the Drones album that came out last year. Psycho
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2016, 09:19:10 AM »
A few come to mind:

I think "Cassandra Gemini" (from The Mars Volta's Frances The Mute) features parts of a live jam in the middle of the song (which lasts for 32 minutes and is all over the place).

In the 2002 Reading Festival, The Offspring debuted a new song called "Neocon". The studio version of the song (which opens their 2003 album) features 'whoas' by the audience from that festival.

Tears For Fears' Songs From The Big Chair features a song called "Head Over Heels". After the proper song finishes, there is a short reprise of the song "Broken" (which precedes "Head Over Heels" on the album). The reprise is a live recording, so it counts as an example of what you mention.  Furthermore, their follow-up album -The Seeds Of Love- features a song called "Year Of The Knife", which starts with audience cheering (there's no musical elements there, though).

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2016, 09:30:41 AM »
Speaking of Head over Heels. In Yes' Relayer album, The breakdown section of Gates of Delerium kind sounds like part of it was recorded live. I wonder if there is any record of that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2016, 09:33:07 AM »
This comes from a soundcheck more than a live moment, but I believe the keyboard section in the middle of Rush's Tom Sawyer is something Geddy used to play in soundchecks to get a feel for playing the keyboards and whatnot, and it was eventually inserted into Tom Sawyer when they wrote it.

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2016, 09:48:30 AM »
That's really cool! Thanks for bringing that up. I'm a huge rush fan

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2016, 12:46:25 PM »
One that's not quite as concrete as other examples here is from Riot's Riot Live, recorded in 1980. The version of Warrior on that album, in addition to having a cool extended solo, also has an intro which I've always though sounded vaguely similar to the intro of Altar of the King.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
Derek Sherinian's live keyboard solo in 1995 featured bits that became the main theme for Lines in the Sand on 1997's Falling Into Infinity. You can hear it on the Official Bootleg from Tokyo.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
Every single note that Green Day played at Milton Keynes bowl in 2005 made it onto " Bullet In a Bible "...

:neverusethis:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 01:55:47 PM »
One that's not quite as concrete as other examples here is from Riot's Riot Live, recorded in 1980. The version of Warrior on that album, in addition to having a cool extended solo, also has an intro which I've always though sounded vaguely similar to the intro of Altar of the King.

Hell YES!!!!!!! :metal :metal :metal

Riot!! :metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »
Wasn't parts of Beyond This Life part of JP's solo on the FII tour?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 02:03:12 PM »
Thespian Drama by Kamelot was played live a bunch as an instrumental and eventually made it's way as a b-side instrumental. (or at least a variation of it)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 08:35:16 PM »
The ambient bit of The Count of Tuscany is based on the LTE version of Rhapsody in Blue isn't it?

Zappa is a great example for his thread. Not only do a lot of songs develop live, but he would assemble the studio tracks using live recordings as a basis. Inca Roads is a good example of that. It all sounds studio recorded but 90% of it is live recorded. I think it's just a few overdubs.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 07:56:24 AM »
The ambient bit of The Count of Tuscany is based on the LTE version of Rhapsody in Blue isn't it?

I have also always thought this.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 02:55:51 PM »
The intro riff of Psycho by Muse was played live on several occasions. It´s even recorded on the HAARP live album as an outro to Stockholm Syndrome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 07:27:39 PM »
Speaking of LTE, the guitar jam on DT's FII tour had what later became the beginning of Paradigm Shift on the first LTE record.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 10:16:24 PM »
Woah really? I had no idea that stuff predated LTE. I figured they were just covering themselves.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MS394

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2016, 07:53:16 PM »
The song "Reggatta de Blanc", of The Police was played first live, as part of an instrumental break.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2016, 11:44:28 PM »
Speaking of LTE, the guitar jam on DT's FII tour had what later became the beginning of Paradigm Shift on the first LTE record.
Are you referring to the part of JP's solo spot where MP joined him on drums and they did an excerpt of Paradigm Shift? If so, it doesn't count. It was recorded in September 1997, before they started Touring Into Infinity.

Wasn't parts of Beyond This Life part of JP's solo on the FII tour?
Correct - not sure about how many shows had it, but I know that there's at least one or two of the Japanese shows (January 1998) that did include it.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2016, 05:42:58 AM »
Songs from The Fix For '96 tour and An Evening of New Music With Dream Theater shows in '97 wound up on Falling Into Infinity. Who would have known? 

:neverusethis:

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2016, 09:13:33 PM »
"As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way."

I saw this quoted somewhere and... I don't get it. Portnoy is one of the 3 founding members, wrote a lot of the lyrics, co-produced 6 albums with Petrucci, and was in charge of anything fan-base related. How is anything Portnoy did bad for the band? If anything, I think without Portnoy, this has become more Petrucci and Rudess' band now. They are not as in touch with the fans as Portnoy was and personally I think the music and the lyrics have been generally weaker. Generally. They do have moments of awesomeness but... just... Why hate on Portnoy so much? Can someone explain this to me?

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 03:14:32 AM »
Meat Loaf has a history of performing Jim Steinman penned tracks in concerts before they were eventually released on his albums. Some of the songs had been released previously through other Steinman projects such as his solo work or Pandora's Box or even as part of his musicals.

In the late 80s there is a concert where the setlist includes: Lost Boys & Golden Girls, Out Of The Frying Pan, Original Sin, Who Needs The Young, Skull Of Your Country & Bad For Good.

Lost Boys & Golden Girls and Out Of The Frying Pan would later make it onto Bat Out Of Hell 2
Original Sin, which had been performed previously by Pandora's Box and in these concerts was a cut down female vocal piece was put onto the Welcome To The Neighbourhood album sang by Meat.
Bad For Good was later performed on the Bat Out Of Hell 3 album, curiously the album version cuts out the 'God Speed' section of the song which was part of the original & live version.
Skull Of Your Country and Who Needs The Young will both be making appearances as full songs on the Braver Than We Are album.

Also in the mid 2000s Meat performed Only When I Feel which back then contained a middle section that was 'If It Ain't Broke'

If It Ain't Broke would become it's own song and go onto Bat Out Of Hell 3, whilst Only When I Feel would also become it's own piece and will appear on Braver.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2016, 07:39:42 AM »
"As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way."

I saw this quoted somewhere and... I don't get it. Portnoy is one of the 3 founding members, wrote a lot of the lyrics, co-produced 6 albums with Petrucci, and was in charge of anything fan-base related. How is anything Portnoy did bad for the band? If anything, I think without Portnoy, this has become more Petrucci and Rudess' band now. They are not as in touch with the fans as Portnoy was and personally I think the music and the lyrics have been generally weaker. Generally. They do have moments of awesomeness but... just... Why hate on Portnoy so much? Can someone explain this to me?

Because that's what fans do.  It's the same phenomena as those that liked [Insert band] when they were playing clubs, but when that song hits big, all of a sudden "they suck!".   I remember the guitar player in my band was way into REM, and used to mock me for liking Iron Maiden.   He went to see REM at Toad's Place (500 seats, max) and they were awesome, Peter Buck wore an "Iron Maiden" shirt (so I had to make a mix tape for him, "just so he could see what the fuss was")... then fast forward about three years and they were playing the Hartford Civic Center (15,000) - I think "Fall On Me" was the big song - and I said "Hey, want to go?" and he was all like "Nah, they're lame. That song is gay (sorry; that was the word then; it meant 'weak')."   

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2016, 10:03:50 AM »
Fandom is a fickle thing.

This comes from a soundcheck more than a live moment, but I believe the keyboard section in the middle of Rush's Tom Sawyer is something Geddy used to play in soundchecks to get a feel for playing the keyboards and whatnot, and it was eventually inserted into Tom Sawyer when they wrote it.

I've read this before, and I think one of the guys mentions it in the documentary.  Cool story, and I like the riff too!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »
dredg - The Ornament (the full version) was played on "Live at the Fillmore" and then recorded for Chuckles & Mr. Squeezy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2016, 08:32:54 AM »
I think that falls more under the title of entire songs that were played live first before being recorded for a studio album, which could be a super long list (dozens by Dave Matthews Band, alone :lol). 

I think the spirit of the thread was more little moments that were used in whole songs later on.  That was just my impression. :biggrin:

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2016, 10:01:25 AM »
Not exactly sure if it fits the criteria, but King Crimson's entire Starless & Bible Black album was recorded live, and later cleaned up in the studio for actual release.  And Providence (from Red) was a live improv that was similarly cleaned up for the for the album (though with the last couple of minutes unfortunately truncated).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »
Does Pain of Salvation's BE technically make it in here?

If not, I am pretty sure they played a small part of Nauticus on 12:5. I'd have to relisten to find where though.

I think "BE" belongs here. It was performed live first, then they added stuff for the studio release. I know because I only own the Live version and not the studio.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
Derek Sherinian's solo on Once in Livetime was expanded and became Platt Opus from Platypus. By the way, a great instrumental!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)