Author Topic: Anyone remember a free live album download?  (Read 3884 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

Anyone remember a free live album download?
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:07:45 PM »
I think it was available soon after BCaSL came out.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and whether the DL is still out there on their website?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Anyone remember a free live album download?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 12:09:02 PM »
There was Happy Holidays 2013 ? From the ADTOE tour I believe ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 12:17:25 PM »
There was Happy Holidays 2013 ? From the ADTOE tour I believe ?

That would be the one. I believe it contains every live track played on the tour that wasn't included on LALP?
I don't know that it's still up, but it was a torrent.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:29:42 PM »
I've got it on my iTunes if anyone wants it.

I could dropbox it.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »
I've got it up on my Google drive in 320Kbit MP3 format.  I'm sure I have the FLAC at home somewhere.

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 12:31:48 AM »
Being the one that hosted the original torrent, I still have the original files and could Dropbox them for you, or just do a search for Dream Theater Happy Holidays 2013 and you should pop up a few sites that still have active torrents.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 12:56:40 AM »
Being the one that hosted the original torrent, I still have the original files and could Dropbox them for you, or just do a search for Dream Theater Happy Holidays 2013 and you should pop up a few sites that still have active torrents.
I still cross my fingers that we'll get another in the coming years  :yarr

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 01:50:15 AM »
Ah, the ADTOE tour - the good old days pre-click-track when there was still some song rotation in the setlist... oh how I miss them...
(Was it really only 2013? Seems like an eternity ago...)
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 06:37:29 AM »
Ah, the ADTOE tour - the good old days pre-click-track when there was still some song rotation in the setlist... oh how I miss them...

I might be wrong, but I think they played to a click track on the ADTOE tour.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 06:46:25 AM »

Nope, you're right. They've been using a click since MM joined.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 08:32:26 AM »

Are you sure? The songs on Happy Hollidays 2013 were recorded before the proper ADToE Tour, before the release of that CD, right? Hearing those live recordings, they really have a different feel, it seems that there wasn’t any click track on them.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »

Are you sure? The songs on Happy Hollidays 2013 were recorded before the proper ADToE Tour, before the release of that CD, right? Hearing those live recordings, they really have a different feel, it seems that there wasn’t any click track on them.

Hm you might be right actually.
The songs were recorded from all over the tour, so it's about half and half from before the album came out and after. I did a quick check of TCOT, which was a recording from before the album came out, and it doesn't appear to line up perfectly to the studio version, so it's probably not to a click (I don't know them to have deviated from studio tempo at that time). I'm pretty sure they've been using a click since ADTOE came out though, to make the full production easier with the video show and lighting etc.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 08:59:46 AM »
Yeah, I thought they had basically been using a click ever since MM joined...I thought I remember an interview where MM talked about that, can't really remember though.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 10:56:49 AM »

Hm you might be right actually.
The songs were recorded from all over the tour, so it's about half and half from before the album came out and after. I did a quick check of TCOT, which was a recording from before the album came out, and it doesn't appear to line up perfectly to the studio version, so it's probably not to a click (I don't know them to have deviated from studio tempo at that time). I'm pretty sure they've been using a click since ADTOE came out though, to make the full production easier with the video show and lighting etc.

Doesn't Mangini control the click tracks, like the tempo? Maybe he tweaked it a bit on TCOT, made it a tad faster or a wee bit slower.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »
I don't know for sure, but I guess there's a way to have someone "playing" the videos and the lights of the show with the band. Again I'm not totally sure, but I guess Rush makes part of the shows this way, also part with the click. Anyway, I think its better without the click and backing tracks, it doesn't bother me if the live performance lacks some guitars, keys or vocals, like DT used to do. But, If the band can't play or sing the instrumentation or vocals like they think it should soud live, I guess it's better to play the show with guest musicians.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2016, 11:43:11 AM »
I hope they do one of these for the Summer 2015 shows.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 04:52:22 PM »
I hope they do one of these for the Summer 2015 shows.

+1

Would love to hear Afterlife, ACOS and BMS with MM's interpretation.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 01:01:54 PM »
I'm not experienced enough to pinpoint click-track usage in my music but regarding the rest of your comment, there was really just one tour so far that you can count against them as far as "no rotation in the setlist" goes. In this current tour they're playing a complete suite of songs, which they always have done when the connection between them was apparent enough (SFAM tour, SDOIT the song played as a single unit pretty often, hell even A Mind Behind Itself and the Octavarium album were played as a complete unit here and there). Not to mention this is a pretty different setting with smaller shows and a bit more visual work to accompany the album.

So the only tour that was truly out of ordinary for them so far, i.e. it would have probably been handled differently if it was MP still making the setlists, is the DT12 tour. Hopefully they don't find any excuses or some anniversary to celebrate to make the next tour so predictable that way.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
Actually only the ADTOE tour had some rotation. The DT12 tour was a static for both Evening Withs and Festivals (and the only difference between the two sets was set length and the addition of Pull Me Under). The 30th Anniversary Tour had a static setlist, with some shows just being longer than others. And obviously The Astonishing Tour has been the same the entire time. On the Tour of Events, they at least had an A set and B set, with 4 or so songs that could be different night to night. So yeah, it's about time they switched it up and rotated a bit more.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 03:09:43 AM »
And obviously The Astonishing Tour has been the same the entire time.

Haven't they done any open-air concerts in this tour?.. Because if so, then they surely shortened the setlist for the occasion..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 09:31:07 AM »

Haven't they done any open-air concerts in this tour?.. Because if so, then they surely shortened the setlist for the occasion..
I don't know about open air, but they haven't shortened any stops on this tour.  It's The Astonishing in full, and nothing else.

But since most of the shows have been in theaters, I doubt there have been any open air shows anyway.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 05:46:10 PM »
Hmm, ok.. Thinking out loud, if they do that (or would have done that, because I don't think they have chances to do it if until now they haven't) this might be a potential shortened while rocky setlist to bring open air, as they've usually done in the past with other setlists:

Act I

«Descent of the Nomacs»
«Dystopian Overture»   
«The Gift of Music»
«A Better Life»
«Lord Nafaryus»
«Three Days»
«A Tempting Offer»
«A New Beginning»   
«The Road to Revolution»

Act II   

«2285 Entr'acte»   
«Moment of Betrayal»   
«Heaven's Cove»   
«The Path That Divides»
«The Walking Shadow»
«My Last Farewell»
«Our New World»

Anyways, I digress from the actual thread.. My short answer to its question ("anyone remember a free live album download available soon after BC&SL?") would be: no..

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 08:53:57 PM »
By this, I'd assume you're referring to festival shows, particularly in Europe, as they did on the 2 previous tours, right? If so, no. They haven't done another series of shows in Europe since the very first leg of the tour in February and March.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 05:31:54 AM »
Did he ever come back and comment again or did he just leave the conversation?  :lol

Ahhh, memories. I seem to remember that thread being one of the funniest I've seen here.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 06:36:14 PM »
I'd assume you're referring to festival shows, particularly in Europe, as they did on the 2 previous tours, right? If so, no. They haven't done another series of shows in Europe since the very first leg of the tour in February and March.

Yes, I was referring to that.. :tup

Did he ever come back and comment again or did he just leave the conversation?  :lol

Ikr..  :lol