Author Topic: Next tour should be "An Evening With" of lesser played songs  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Re: Next tour should be "An Evening With" of lesser played songs
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2016, 06:35:54 PM »
Lol, so you saw Metallica before DT was even founded?
Jatruccyundessgini

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2016, 06:46:09 PM »
And opening for Ozzy on the Master Of Puppets tour.  Yup, I'm old. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2016, 06:48:59 PM »
Lol, so you saw Metallica before DT was even founded?

I envy you...
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2016, 06:53:15 PM »
And I almost did, a story I've told a number of times.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2016, 06:55:44 PM »
It was a show that some asshole fan pulled Jake E. Lee by the stockhead into the crowd.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2016, 07:00:22 PM »
Oh, is that the one above your fireplace? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2016, 07:01:22 PM »
It was a show that some asshole fan pulled Jake E. Lee by the stockhead into the crowd.

Did you mean to say cockhead?  :biggrin:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2016, 07:02:44 PM »
Would not like to hear current JLB sing Don't Look Past Me. He has come a long way since the accident and sounds great on recent albums, but I can't see him handling that song very well.

I also don't want to see DT touring without an album. The people saying that new music keeps old bands going are right. DT is one of the few bands that are 20+ and still make music I'm interested in. They do 3 hour shows and their setlists typically cover a good chunk of their career. The idea of them putting off a new album and touring without anything new just seems so pointless.

I mean come on, the last tour had Space Dye Vest + a few others from Awake that haven't been played in ages, plus Trial of Tears and the Shattered Fortress. There were plenty "lesser played songs". They take one tour to play a whole new album (which probably isn't going to get much setlist time going forward) and people start saying they don't play enough deep cuts.  :lol
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2016, 07:03:06 PM »
 :lol. Stove down cellar suck!

I was shocked seeing it right in front of me.

Did you mean to say cockhead?  :biggrin:

Jake E was in the wrong profession then.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2016, 07:17:13 PM »
Well how obscure are we wanting to get here? I've still had levels of surprise from each tour, for example I didn't really expect 6:00, TGD or TLF to show up in the 2011/12 tours. Not that I was at any of the shows but that cover they did musta been pretty unexpected for those that saw it.
As for the following tour, no one coulda seen TSF or SDV coming (until the surprise wore off from the static setlist I guess). And I feel a few songs like Scarred and ToT were not necessarily expected songs either.
The quick 30th tour? Afterlife and BMS were pretty obscure, not to mention the sections from ACOS. And then we got BTV.

I guess my point it DT still seem to more or less try throw in a few surprises on their sets. Another tour separate from an album release would be an obvious chance to pull out songs like ACOS and Octavarium again but hard to say if we'll ever see the likes of Don't Look Past Me or any Majesty or b side album demos again, that might be too obscure at this point.

I mean come on, the last tour had Space Dye Vest + a few others from Awake that haven't been played in ages, plus Trial of Tears and the Shattered Fortress. There were plenty "lesser played songs".

Okay beat me too it.  :azn:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »
I dunno, they've been really good about pulling out deep cuts every tour. I don't think there's a need for a tour entirely focused on lesser played material.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
The biggest disappointment of MP leaving are the absence of those rotating setlists and random surprise shows, like doing WDADU or covering an entire album of another band. That is what made collecting the bootlegs intriguing and exciting.
Yeah, easily.  I don't even care about bootlegs anymore, and they were at one time my favorite part of DT fandom.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2016, 07:43:52 PM »
The biggest disappointment of MP leaving are the absence of those rotating setlists and random surprise shows, like doing WDADU or covering an entire album of another band. That is what made collecting the bootlegs intriguing and exciting.
Yeah, easily.  I don't even care about bootlegs anymore, and they were at one time my favorite part of DT fandom.

I stopped collecting as well. I had close a thousand at one point and I would always listen to at least one a day. I still listen to some of the better bootlegs as I do get enjoyment out of them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2016, 07:48:30 PM »
I can't imagine listening to live DT that much. As much as I love JLB as a singer in the studio, he is way too iffy live too often for me to tolerate.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2016, 07:51:16 PM »
I can't imagine listening to live DT that much. As much as I love JLB as a singer in the studio, he is way too iffy live too often for me to tolerate.

That, my friend, is very true. However, most of them aren't so bad that the bootlegs are unlistenable.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
I love James too but yeah, when bootleg hunting, James is normally the deciding factor in whether I keep it. To be fair though, when you find a really good performance by him, it tends to be impressive enough it could replace the studio version!

I'm sure other people have thought of this, but I wish I could splice all the best bits from various DT studio and live recordings to make the ultimate versions of each song. Too bad in my mind they're 'ultimate versions' but to everyone else they'd be a mess.  :lol