Author Topic: Next tour should be "An Evening With" of lesser played songs  (Read 4268 times)

Offline zappafrank2112

Next tour should be "An Evening With" of lesser played songs
« on: August 11, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
It wouldn't kill them to chill on the new music front for a bit, especially after how The Astonishing cost them a lot of good will (whether proponents of the album admit it or not)

They should go out on a tour playing all of the stuff that they're had to set to the side for a while b/c of new music, length, whatever.

Octavarium (with new animation), ACoS, LOTS of stuff off of When Dream and Day Unite, even Falling into Infinity... it's time for them to celebrate their catalog at large and give new fans a chance to experience live stuff that just doesn't get put into rotation anymore.

Hell, BCaSL barely got represented at large for a large cross section of us (US at least) b/c they didn't do many headlining tours for it that I recall, opening for Maiden or Yes.  The Count of Tuscany?  Please, and thank you!!!

Finish this tour, take some chill time, and then maybe at the end of 2017 go out and rock the unsung classics, as it were.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Next tour should be "An Evening With" of lesser played songs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 12:32:18 PM »
It wouldn't kill them to chill on the new music front for a bit, especially after how The Astonishing cost them a lot of good will (whether proponents of the album admit it or not)

They should go out on a tour playing all of the stuff that they're had to set to the side for a while b/c of new music, length, whatever.

Octavarium (with new animation), ACoS, LOTS of stuff off of When Dream and Day Unite, even Falling into Infinity... it's time for them to celebrate their catalog at large and give new fans a chance to experience live stuff that just doesn't get put into rotation anymore.

Hell, BCaSL barely got represented at large for a large cross section of us (US at least) b/c they didn't do many headlining tours for it that I recall, opening for Maiden or Yes.  The Count of Tuscany?  Please, and thank you!!!

Finish this tour, take some chill time, and then maybe at the end of 2017 go out and rock the unsung classics, as it were.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Or DT can keep doing whatever they want. That'd be fine by me.

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 12:45:33 PM »
It should be!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:56:22 PM »
I wouldn't say that that it SHOULD be that, but if they did it, that would be cool.

But that won't happen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 12:57:44 PM »
I'd like to see more Nightmare Cinema.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 01:01:16 PM »
Obviously every band with a larger catalog have lesser played songs, but overall, I think DT does a pretty good job at playing most of their stuff regularly (often across a few world tour cycles). Compared to some bands that consistently ignore whole albums or eras... 

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 01:06:49 PM »
They've done exactly this every tour since Mangini joined. Now that they do ONE tour, the first since the early 2000s where they play the new album in its entirety, suddenly they "lose favour" and need to try this new thing where they do exactly what most other tours have been in their history as a band! :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 01:49:10 PM »
I would love a tour solely of songs that don't get played on any consistency.  Granted, I do think they are VERY good at this as is though (compared to most bands) so it is kind of asking a lot. 

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 02:20:25 PM »
I've seen them on every touring cycle since 2004, and every time they've come to Boston, they have played at least one song that I have yet to see. Even ten years after seeing them on the Train of Thought tour, they pulled out Finally Free, Space Dye Vest, Overture 1928, Lifting Shadows, and The Shattered Fortress. This last tour, they played 34 songs I had never heard before! ;) I think they've done a remarkable job at rotating songs in that have been neglected over the years for whatever reason. They can keep doing what they're doing and I'll be okay with it. :tup
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 04:06:42 PM »
I agree with this. But after The Astonishing tour and a few months off, it'll be time to start the next album. Therefore, when the world tour for DT14 starts, any old songs they play should be the songs that are rarely heard like you mentioned. But they will have to play the new album tunes as well.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 07:55:34 PM »
I dunno, they've been really good about pulling out deep cuts every tour. I don't think there's a need for a tour entirely focused on lesser played material.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »
The Astonishing didn't cost them any good will, wtf? lol

Some people love it, some people are indifferent and some hate it, like with every other album they've put out. The vocal 'hating' minority always tries very hard to make their opinions known throughout the internet, but that doesn't mean they are representative of DT's fanbase as a whole.

On topic, very unlikely for that to happen. I mean, here at DTF you'll find folks who love songs like Don't Look Past Me and Eve to death and that's alright, but the truth is that the grand majority of the fanbase won't know those songs... so if you give'em a concert full of them you'll probably bore them because they don't know anything. Throwing a surprise or two in a show is great, for the diehards like us (Another Won, for example), but that's about it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »
I'm actually fairly sick of TA haters.
We get it, you hate it, alright, I hope DT pulls another album like that (pushing their bundaries) and not an another progassshit 15 minute song with 10 minute instrumental and totally interrupted lyrics (TMOLS, SS, ES, I'm looking at you).

I'm almost certain they'll be pulling a TOT song, it's been a lot of time without one.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 07:01:21 AM »
I've seen them on every touring cycle since 2004, and every time they've come to Boston, they have played at least one song that I have yet to see. Even ten years after seeing them on the Train of Thought tour, they pulled out Finally Free, Space Dye Vest, Overture 1928, Lifting Shadows, and The Shattered Fortress. This last tour, they played 34 songs I had never heard before! ;) I think they've done a remarkable job at rotating songs in that have been neglected over the years for whatever reason. They can keep doing what they're doing and I'll be okay with it. :tup
Agreed.
Other than not having rotating setlists, DT has actually had great setlists since MP left. Even those European summer tours, especially that first one in 2011.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 10:27:07 AM »
Agreed.
Other than not having rotating setlists, DT has actually had great setlists since MP left. Even those European summer tours, especially that first one in 2011.
Yeah. I think their only sub-par setlist was the 2015 summer tour. That one had some weird choices, but it was nice nevertheless.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 10:51:57 AM »
Well, I think you could swap out a song here and there, but playing one song from each album, I thought they did OK.

Wither, Behind The Veil, Constant Motion, Burning My Soul, all hadn't been played since MM joined. I think in the MM era, they've done a great job of featuring many different tracks.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 10:59:22 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »
I think it would serve them well if they didn't do another album right away, and just toured an Evening with...show revisiting much of the past catalog...and for my own selfish desires, completely ignored the Northeast and only toured the South as well as Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Alaska and Hawaii.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 02:41:35 PM by bluehaze »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 03:05:47 PM »
Bands that last 30 to 40 years is that they tour behind albums.  Keep making albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 03:23:34 PM »
Bands that last 30 to 40 years is that they tour behind albums.  Keep making albums.
There is something to be said for AC/DC releasing every album that sounded exactly like the last album with every song having the same tempo and time signature and probably the same lyrics. There's always a 12 year old out there somewhere that is hearing them for the first time. ;-)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 03:33:23 PM »
Lol.

You used the worst example for a band with with new albums.  Though, get me liquored up and I'm in it for 2 hours baby!! :lol

Most bands seem energized to play the,new music and keep relevant when they tour behind new albums.

Just my 2 cents.

I
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 03:35:47 PM »
Lol.

You used the worst example for a band with with new albums.  Though, get me liquored up and I'm in it for 2 hours baby!! :lol

Most bands seem energized to play the,new music and keep relevant when they tour behind new albums.

Just my 2 cents.

I

Honest question, but which? I can't think of many bands that have been around for 20+ years that still get psyched about new material.

Dream Theater and Rush.

That's all I got right now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »
Honest question, but which? I can't think of many bands that have been around for 20+ years that still get psyched about new material.

Dream Theater and Rush.

I can think of a few bands like this whose latest album is (IMO) their career best, and several others who have their best album out in a very close past. Amorphis and Paradise Lost are some to name, it's just they're not quite as popular as the bands you mentioned.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline bluehaze

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 03:54:07 PM »
Lol.

Just my 2 cents.

I

jajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja (Spanish for hahahahahahahahahahahaha)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2016, 03:54:56 PM »
Lol.

Just my 2 cents.

I

Dream Theater and Rush.

Iron Maiden

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 04:08:33 PM »
Next tour should be "An evening of Jam Theater"... they could play new music at every show and release 100 albums in a year    :corn:metal :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2016, 04:40:51 PM »
U2. Is another. They are what drive me. They seem fresh live and for most other older bands Adami,  they seem energized by new music. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 04:42:11 PM »
I'll add Iron Maiden,  Jackson Brown.  Tom Petty ect.  All I've seen live recently with new music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2016, 05:04:53 PM »
U2. Is another. They are what drive me. They seem fresh live and for most other older bands Adami,  they seem energized by new music.

Yep, U2 always plays a ton of new music on their tours, although they were only playing 2-3 songs a night from No Line on the Horizon by the time they hit the 5th leg of the 360 tour, but that was unusual.  Moment of Surrender, a new song, was the final song played at nearly every show on each leg of that long tour. Not many bands with that many albums and many years would still have the balls to do that.  :tup :tup

And of course Songs of Innocence got heavy rotation at every show last year following its release.

Online Adami

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2016, 05:06:10 PM »
Fair points! I don't really listen to most of those bands so I was unaware. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2016, 05:13:36 PM »
Just my experience,  bands seem so energetic behind new music compared to just touring.

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »
Just my experience,  bands seem so energetic behind new music compared to just touring.

Guess I was thinking about bands like Metallica or something that tour nothing but classic hits.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »
There are plenty like that and it is hadn't seen them in a while I would go.  Now Metallica,  I haven't seen since 1984. Old man bragging. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
You're so old are you sure it wasn't 1948??

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2016, 06:35:11 PM »
My dad was 2 so....... :lol

I'd see Buddy Holley in the 50's if I could!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2016, 06:35:27 PM »
I wouldn't say that that it SHOULD be that, but if they did it, that would be cool.

But that won't happen.

I definitely agree with all of this. It would be a great idea. The die-hard fans love hearing those obscure tracks thrown into the mix as a surprise, but we haven't had that since MP left, and I don't see it happening again without him in the band. I still want to see Don't Look Past Me played live. It won't happen though. The biggest disappointment of MP leaving are the absence of those rotating setlists and random surprise shows, like doing WDADU or covering an entire album of another band. That is what made collecting the bootlegs intriguing and exciting.