Author Topic: How freakin awesome is the economy?????  (Read 593 times)

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
How freakin awesome is the economy?????
« on: August 10, 2016, 10:45:18 PM »
In a way, that is meant to get your attention.  LOL

I guess this is to discuss how economy can be so regionalized.   Because....for my area of the country....the title of this thread is absolutely spot on.   Holy crap I can't believe how much the Seattle area is *EXPLODING*!!!   We honestly can't keep up.   Construction is everywhere, EVERYONE is working.   Even the laziest people in the union hall are working just because there simply aren't enough bodies to keep up with demand.   

And yet, I hear rumors that the rest of the country isn't doing so hot.    Is it just regional?  Or are some people just making mountains out of molehills? 

I've lived in the Seattle area my entire life....I have seen booms in the past.   But this boom puts all other booms to shame.   It wasn't even this good in the 90's when the .com boom happened.   It's just unreal up here.     Anyone want a job?   Come to Seattle.  .....or on second thought, don't.   It's getting crowded up here.  ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: How freakin awesome is the economy?????
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 05:46:35 AM »
Watertown, Waterbury, and the surrounding towns around me have all been doing well. Lots of plazas being built and occupied, and blocks of main street that were vacant corner to corner 7-10 years ago are all full again. I literally don't know anyone who can't find a job.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 06:35:18 AM »
Minneapolis is doing pretty well. Lots of new construction. Unemployment is low. Home values are going up quickly as younger people are finally looking to buy. I'm not an ecenomist, but things seem to be chugging along pretty good here.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 06:39:39 AM »
I wonder how legalization in Washington may or may not have any effect in an economical boom.  Seems to have had one in Colorado.

Here in NJ, I would say things aren't good or bad, just steady.  More shops closing than opening, but I think that is more due to people shopping online vs. in store.  I haven't been seeing new houses being built near me or anything either, but I do know that houses are being listed and sold so that's good.  Unemployment doesn't seem to be as bad as it was a few years ago either.  Granted these are all just observations from my eyes and not from any statistics that could prove that all wrong.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 06:58:03 AM »
Also, I use my girlfriend's family as a good measure of the economy. Everyone on her mother's side (and her dad) owns a paving company. Some do parking lots, some do driveways, some do public roads, etc.. They're all pavers. Between 2008-2012, a lot of them were struggling hard, especially the guys like her father that do driveways for homes and small businesses. He'd have weeks where he and his crew would go 2, 3, maybe 4 days in a row without a job. Those types of projects usually happen when home owners have a healthy amount of disposable income and when small business are turning a good profit.  This summer, her dad has an 8 week waiting list and actually had to turn people away and say he wouldn't be able to get to them until next spring.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 07:15:34 AM by Chino »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 07:13:29 AM »
I'm 20 miles plus or minus from Chino, and I can corroborate his observation.  Tradesmen in particular are doing well.   High school and college kids have jobs available.   I think there are cracks, though - there is still an exodus from CT, and housing prices aren't where they should be - but it could be a lot worse.   I do think it's tempered in certain parts of the country (like here) because I think at the state and corporate level it's not doing as well.   I know CT as a state is in financial trouble (or will be, because there is little plan) but again, that's fixable, and it could be a lot worse. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 07:23:21 AM »
I live in the Pittsburgh area and the economy in this region is finally starting to come around, which hasn't been the case since Pittsburgh was really a steel town back in the day before mills started shutting down.

Couple of reasons for this turn around:

Pittsburgh is becoming a home to technology companies, the software industry is booming here, creating a ton of good, high-playing technology jobs.

Shale gas plays have generated basically a whole new industry around here. I work for a engineering consulting company and there is so much work just based around the shale industry.

Conversely, and in opposition to the OP, I have a good friend (best man in my wedding) who is a electrician. He worked out of the union for years, really good at what he did, most often was a foreman on jobs due to his level of experience and hard work. Work had been slow. Really slow, like his name was on the books at the hall, but not close to getting called a lot. So he took a job outside of the local union with an energy company who needed staff electricians to work full-time monitoring a nuclear facility in the area.

So around here, it's a mixed bag. Although, bare in mind, while the construction industry touches a lot of companies, just because that industry is booming, doesn't mean the entire economy of that region is booming. One industry does not equal an entire regional economy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 07:50:31 AM »
True, but construction doesn't just mean construction jobs and related (materials, suppliers, etc).  It means that business is expanding or at least spending money on new facilities, and that's a growth indicator.  If you see a lot of construction going on, the area is growing, the economy is on the upswing.

I can't speak for the entire Chicago area, but here in the northern suburbs, we're seeing growth.  New developments that were put on hold ten years ago are getting greenlit.  Shopping centers, office space, and residential construction are all going on around here.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 08:04:27 AM »
True, but construction doesn't just mean construction jobs and related (materials, suppliers, etc).  It means that business is expanding or at least spending money on new facilities, and that's a growth indicator.  If you see a lot of construction going on, the area is growing, the economy is on the upswing.

It's a huge ripple effect. Once construction is finished, you have inventories being filled, people getting hired to work, cleaning crews hired, maintenance work needed, landscaping/plowing seasonally, company vehicles being purchased, etc.. So many jobs get created or expanded behind the scenes.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 08:05:42 AM »
Absolutely, construction is certainly an indicator, and has a large reaching ripple effect into many areas of the economy, I'm just saying it's not the end all be all. The economy is not a simple thing, therefore you can probably safety assume things like this aren't black and white.

For example, a lot of experts have viewed the boom in residential construction in the early 2000s as a factor that contributed to the great recession. Simply, the residential construction industry as a whole, overbuilt.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 08:17:47 AM »
Quote from: Orbert link=topic=48116.msg2201812#msg2201812
I can't speak for the entire Chicago area, but here in the northern suburbs, we're seeing growth.  New developments that were put on hold ten years ago are getting greenlit.  Shopping centers, office space, and residential construction are all going on around here.

Seconded from what I've seen.

Except that road construction in Deerfield that was put on hold because they apparently ran out of money.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »
I live in the Pittsburgh area and the economy in this region is finally starting to come around, which hasn't been the case since Pittsburgh was really a steel town back in the day before mills started shutting down.

Couple of reasons for this turn around:

Pittsburgh is becoming a home to technology companies, the software industry is booming here, creating a ton of good, high-playing technology jobs.

Shale gas plays have generated basically a whole new industry around here. I work for a engineering consulting company and there is so much work just based around the shale industry.

Conversely, and in opposition to the OP, I have a good friend (best man in my wedding) who is a electrician. He worked out of the union for years, really good at what he did, most often was a foreman on jobs due to his level of experience and hard work. Work had been slow. Really slow, like his name was on the books at the hall, but not close to getting called a lot. So he took a job outside of the local union with an energy company who needed staff electricians to work full-time monitoring a nuclear facility in the area.

So around here, it's a mixed bag. Although, bare in mind, while the construction industry touches a lot of companies, just because that industry is booming, doesn't mean the entire economy of that region is booming. One industry does not equal an entire regional economy.
I won't speak for Pittsburgh as a whole, but there are definitely certain neighborhoods that are doing very well lately. Home prices have skyrocketed in the Lawrenceville/Bloomfield area after being horrible for a long time, and there have been tons of new small businesses in that area.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 09:25:16 AM »
I won't speak for Pittsburgh as a whole, but there are definitely certain neighborhoods that are doing very well lately. Home prices have skyrocketed in the Lawrenceville/Bloomfield area after being horrible for a long time, and there have been tons of new small businesses in that area.

Yup, that area east of the city you mentioned is a great example. Even stretching out further away from the city into Washington County and now Beaver County home values are rising because of the return of industry.

I work in Washington County and home prices have gone up because that area has essentially become a hub for shale oil and gas business. Also-Beaver County will soon be experiencing the same thing (and in some ways already is) when Shell drops its' new cracker plant in there.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 10:19:37 AM »
I would say it's good overall, but still a regional thing.

I just moved from Mount Airy, NC to Raleigh, NC.  Mount Airy was traditionally a mill town.  Of course, all the factories are gone now, and the economy isn't that great (small town).  The tourism trade remains strong (Mayberry, Andy Griffith, yadda yadda).

Raleigh, on the other hand, is frickin' booming.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 05:51:48 PM »
Come to Seattle.  .....or on second thought, don't.   It's getting crowded up here.  ;D

This times infinity.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 10:04:54 PM »
The trades are booming in the SF Bay Area as well. Projects are in the pipeline for at least 5 years, including large commercial work for Google, Facebook, and Apple. We (IBEW L.U. 332) have more traveler's than local hands, I'd guess at least 2 to 1. Checking now I see we had 50 unfilled calls today, which is why the larger projects (mainly the aforementioned companies) have no choice but to wait until one project finishes to be able to man the next. I think the Apple spaceship project employs 3,000-4,000 workers currently.
This thread has been burned.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »
This article speaks to the argument that despite the economy seemingly being alright...there's still 95 Million people that are not included in any of the employment numbers.

Couple highlights:

For example, the level of those enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program food stamps has remained elevated even with an economic expansion that is nearly 7 years old. SNAP recipients totaled 33.5 million in 2009, the year the recession ended. In 2016, the number is at 45.3 million. The government shelled out $74 billion in benefits last year, about double the level of 2008.

Taken together, the numbers show that there's more to meets the eye than a headline unemployment rate of 4.6 percent, the lowest since August 2007. Because that number ignores those not in the labor force, as well as workers at part-time jobs for economic reasons, it doesn't tell the whole story. A broader jobless measure is at 9.3 percent.

This economy that obama and the dems have been bragging about is relying heavily on well positioned mirrors and carefully directed smoke.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/what-are-95-million-americans-doing-out-of-the-labor-force/ar-AAl4gN7?li=BBnb7Kz
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind