Author Topic: Buddyhunter1's Roulette III: Select Difficulty - FINAL RESULTS  (Read 22668 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette III: Select Difficulty - ROUND 2
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 11:22:52 AM »
Sent some power metal.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2016, 10:07:26 PM »
Results will either be up tomorrow or Tuesday.

To tie you guys over, here's how your submissions this round fared against those from Round 1. These rankings will get posted before the full results each round, and will let you know which submissions of yours I liked / disliked the most. Again, these don't affect your score at all.

Parama
1: ???
2: Naif / Linear Failure / My Favorite Society Guy

splent
1: Shoot First
2: ???

Train of Naught
2: I Hold Dominion

Evermind
2: The Grandest Accusation

Tomislav95
2: Hope

LordCost
2: Severed

Elite
1: Fisheye

Scorpion
1: The Garden Of Fire
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2016, 10:09:51 PM »
wonderful  :corn

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2016, 10:43:58 PM »
Yeah. I'm not doing well :lol
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 02:11:02 AM »
Nice, this is why I like to send Wheel of Time, it seems to appeal even to non-power-metal fans. Kept me afloat in Parama's and isn't doing too shabby in this roulette either.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 02:48:51 AM »
Oh dear, I'm not in first place now :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette III: Select Difficulty - ROUND 3
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
---ROUND 2 RESULTS---

1st place: Parama
Thy Catafalque - Szervetlen

I’ll admit, as soon as I read “electronic-infused black metal” I was hyped. Is this song as awesome as I expected? Well, it’s not perfect, but it’s still great. The highlight of this song is, unsurprisingly, its unique blend of black metal and electronic elements. I’ve never heard anything else quite like it, and it works really well. The synths and electronic instruments elevate the track to a whole other level; without them, I likely would have found the song to be pretty boring. The first half of the song is fantastic; it’s full of both awesome riffs and some really memorable synth melodies. The slower second half is unfortunately a bit weak, and I would have preferred it if more of the song were like the first half. Regardless, I really liked this song. I liked the down tuned, breakneck speed riffs, the atmospheric electronic flourishes, and the unique, experimental sound of the whole thing. Good choice.

2nd Place: Evermind
Blind Guardian - Wheel Of Time

It’s funny, I don’t consider myself to really be a fan of power metal, but whenever I get some in my roulettes, it always seems to do well. If there’s one thing this song succeeds at, it’s sounding absolutely huge when it wants to. It uses a full orchestra and soaring vocals to convey an incredibly epic vibe; the choruses in particular are amazing, especially the last one. That’s not to say the whole song is completely bombastic; there are a lot of sections that are quieter, and a lot of the song is infused with middle-eastern inspired melodies and instruments. While those influences are interesting, I would have been fine without them, and I preferred when the song focused more on the symphonic elements. While the quieter sections work well within the flow of the album and do a good job at contrasting the louder parts, they aren’t very interesting on their own. That said, the good parts of this song are really damn good. Maybe it’s time I check out some full power metal albums… maybe.

3rd Place: Scorpion
Witherscape - Marionette

This song was interesting. Musically, it’s a fairly basic power ballad with a melancholy vibe, clean verses, and some powerful choruses with distorted guitars and soaring string synths. However, the choruses feature some really heavy death metal growls that would sound out of place on paper, but work surprisingly well. The contrast between the verses and the choruses is great; when the choruses crash in and the song goes from being subdued and quiet to soaring and huge-sounding, the effect is very powerful. The song also comes across as being genuinely emotional, especially in the choruses and the fantastic guitar solo that closes the track. I don’t have any real complaints with this one.

4th Place: Elite
Obsidian Kingdom - Oncoming Dark / Through The Glass / Cinnamon Balls

Another round, another group of three tracks that seamlessly flow together. These tracks are a small portion of a giant song that encompasses an entire album, and I get the feeling that they would be a lot more impactful within the context of the entire piece than they do on their own. When looked at as a group of three tracks, it’s an enjoyable listen, but it doesn’t feel like there’s really a proper beginning or end. That said, all the sections flow together really well, and slowly increase in intensity from clean and peaceful to heavy and oppressive sounding. That seamless progression makes up for there not being too many sections that are super memorable, though Cinnamon Balls definitely has some great moments towards the end. This is a good slice of quality progressive metal, albeit one that leaves me wanting a bit more.

5th Place: LordCost
Faith No More - smilelobber

This is the first song I’ve ever heard from this band, and I thought it was pretty good. This is also the first time I’ve actually heard the widely-praised vocalist Mike Patton, and unsurprisingly, he’s a beast. His deranged, insane vocals contribute a lot to the unsettling vibe this song has, and the heavy choruses where he stops holding back on the screams are excellent. The verses are quite memorable as well, and the second one does a really fantastic job at slowly ramping up the intensity until finally losing control and transitioning into the chorus. Unfortunately, this song loses me a bit in the second half. The section with the slower tempo feels out of place and isn’t anywhere near as good as what came before, and I don’t like the organ outro at all. The first half is great though, and I found the song as a whole to be pleasantly demented.

6th Place: splent
Chimp Spanner - Cloud City

I got a track from this guy last roulette as well, and this one’s pretty much the shame shtick. I usually don’t go out of my way to listen to instrumental guitar-focused metal / rock, but I can find it enjoyable in small chunks. This song has a nice atmosphere to it, very dreamy and floaty. The soft synths and melodic guitar lines work well, and the more distorted, djent-y guitar work is passable. The song as a whole isn’t particularly noteworthy in my opinion, but it’s good.

7th Place: Tomislav95
Hypocrisy - Eraser

I don’t have much to say about this one, but it was a nice little melodic death metal track with no real issues but not too many noteworthy traits, either. It’s decently catchy and has some nice lead guitar work, especially the arpeggios in the choruses and the outro. If the song had a few more things worth praising it would have ranked higher, but as-is it didn’t have enough strengths to compete with most of the other submissions from this round.

8th Place: Train of Naught
Protest The Hero - Clarity

This is the third Protest The Hero song I’ve gotten in a roulette, and as with the other ones, my reaction to it was pretty much “this is good, but I still don’t have much of a desire to listen to these guys more”. This is also probably the weakest of the three that I’ve gotten, as it lacks the energy and fast pace that I liked about Without Prejudice and Sequoia Throne. I also didn’t find the vocal melodies or riffs to be that strong, though the main riff is decent enough. On the positive side of things, I enjoyed the finale with the choir, and I actually think the vocalist is great; I don’t really understand why a lot of people have an issue with him. This song was decent enough, though I’m starting to think that this band just isn’t for me.

No artists banned this round.

THE SCORE SO FAR:
Parama: 19
Elite: 17
Scorpion: 16
Evermind: 16
splent: 11
LordCost: 10
Train of Naught: 8
Tomislav95: 7

Not too much change in the rankings this time around, and there's a pretty large gap between the top and bottom four. That said, we still have six rounds left, so I doubt things will stay that way! Send your Round 3 submissions!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2016, 08:20:33 PM »
alriiiight time to screw up now  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette III: Select Difficulty - ROUND 1
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 12:15:31 AM »
/in if the host is fine with it, I will get you that win saculman :metal
Do it and I'll forgive you not getting me into the top 5 of your roulette :2metal:

Forget it :lolaa
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2016, 01:30:10 AM »
Somebody have to be last, right :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2016, 02:51:36 AM »
Atleast maybe I'll try to go out of buddys comfort zone now because I dont have much to lose. Been going fairly safe in these first two rounds and it turned out pretty terrible for me :lol

I'll try to send you something today!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2016, 02:52:46 AM »
I agree about my writeup, there are times when I even skip the second part of the song. However the title of the song has been censored by the forum :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »
Good enough, pity I'm still at fourth place but hey, that can be fixed.

I'll send something in 24 hours.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 11:43:08 AM »
Sent.
After being 8th and 7th, I expect to be 6th this time :P

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
After being 7th and 8th, I expect to be 9th this time

Alright sent a band I might have sent a few times too often in roulettes but hey, it's not banned. I don't think I've ever sent the exact same song though I'm not 100% sure on that.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 01:07:39 PM by Train of Naught »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2016, 05:56:01 AM »
 I'll send something today.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2016, 01:35:11 AM »
Sorry, forgot to send yesterday. You'll have my song when I get home from work, which is about 9 hours from now on.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2016, 09:35:09 AM »
And sent. Wanted to send Flaming Row - Rage of Despair but apparently Chad cockblocked me three years ago in Buddy's first roulette. :lol So I had to use my backup song.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2016, 05:53:12 PM »
Still need submissions from Elite and splent.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2016, 01:52:57 AM »
Oops! I've been in the recording studio all weekend and I'm home tonight. I will send you a song then. Sorry for stalling
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2016, 03:08:14 AM »
Sent, sorry for being late!
Squ

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2016, 01:14:42 PM »
Sorry for taking so long with this round, I just recently got all the submissions and school started again this week, so it's been pretty busy. Results should be up within the next few days.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2016, 06:38:38 PM »
That was my fault. I've been extremely busy, but I did submit obviously. Take your time.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Buddyhunter1's Roulette III: Select Difficulty - ROUND 4
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2016, 07:06:24 PM »
---ROUND 3 RESULTS---

1st Place: Train of Naught
Novembre - Umana

This song is atmospheric, emotional, and pretty damn powerful. The things that really stand out to me are the fantastic instrumentation and sound. The layered, hazy and reverb-heavy guitars sound very shoegaze-influenced, and they do a great job at creating a wall of sound that is powerful, but not overwhelming. The song maintains its beautiful, melancholy vibe throughout its duration, but does a good job at transitioning between softer and louder parts. The last couple minutes of the song are especially fantastic, starting with a quiet buildup that explodes into a driving instrumental outro that ends the song on a very climactic and satisfying note. I really liked this song, and I don’t have any real problems with it. Good choice!

2nd Place: splent
Frost* - Dear Dead Days

I’ve gotten a couple other Frost* songs in my earlier roulettes, but I’m pretty confident in saying that I liked this one the most. Sound-wise it’s not too different from most progressive rock / metal, but its composition manages to strike an interesting and effective balance between accessibility and complexity. The structure is pretty simple, and there aren’t any self-indulgent extended instrumental sections or anything, but the song manages to cram in just enough short bursts of craziness here and there, like the sections with the super fast synth runs. The result is a song that’s catchy, energetic, and punchy without being too heavy, as well as intricate without being too complex. It’s an interesting combination of influences that works really well. If I had to nitpick, I’d say that the synth riff at the start is annoyingly abrasive, but other than that I thought this song was pretty great.

3rd Place: Evermind
Jon Lord - Pictured Within

This song is beautiful. The peaceful atmosphere, the simple but incredibly effective piano and string work, and the emotional delivery all come together incredibly well, and the section in the middle with the strings is especially beautiful. Not quite enough to bring tears to my eyes, but pretty damn close. Not much else to say about this one.

4th Place: Elite
Destrage - Are You Kidding Me? No.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, here’s a song that’s batshit insane. I’m certainly a fan of batshit insane, though it often comes with the cost of feeling too random and unmemorable without repeat listens, which I feel like the first three minutes of this song suffer from. That said, they’re still energetic as hell and enjoyable to listen to, and the song only gets better from there. The mariachi / polka section in the middle of the song is pretty brilliant and fits into the flow of the song surprisingly well, and the outro that keeps getting faster and faster is just awesome. This song reminds me a lot of Between The Buried And Me in that while some sections are a bit unmemorable, the parts that are memorable are fantastic and are more than enough to carry the rest of the song. Some issues aside, I liked this track a lot.

5th Place: Parama
Oceans Of Slumber - Winter

This is a pretty atmospheric and moody song that alternates between clean and heavy sections, and it was actually the clean parts that impressed me a lot more. The clean vocalist has a great voice, and her vocals mixed with the guitars create a very haunting, dark, yet peaceful atmosphere. The chorus is also very memorable and has a great vocal melody. The heavy sections aren’t bad, but they didn’t stand out to me that much. They feel a bit monotonous and like they take up more of the song than they should, even though I think it’s pretty much split 50/50 between clean and heavy. If the heavy parts of the song were a bit better it might have ranked a little higher, but as-is, this track was good, but not great.

6th Place: Scorpion
Thrice - Beggars

This is a pretty simple song with a good build-up, but I think it could have been executed a lot better. It’s very repetitive, with the only real variety coming from more instruments gradually being added and the vocals becoming more and more desperate until the song culminates in a very distorted and noisy outro. Structurally, I think this track is perfectly fine, but I found the melodies and composition to be a bit lacking. The vocal melody doesn’t stand out much, and the outro falls a bit flat for me while it should be super powerful. These things wouldn’t be as much of an issue if the song didn’t rely on them so much; since the finale isn’t too great it feels like the build-up is for nothing, and in the meantime there isn’t much to latch onto because the melodies aren’t strong enough to warrant the minimalistic and repetitive composition and instrumentation. I can definitely see why people would like this song, but it didn’t really do it for me.

7th Place: Tomislav95
Woods Of Ypres - I Was Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery

This song feels like it’s relying very heavily on its raw emotion to carry it, so it’s a pretty big issue to me that I didn’t feel like that emotion was that genuine or expressed well at all. It could be the very unpoetic and amateurish lyrics, the monotonous vocal delivery, or some combination of the two, but I just didn’t find this song to be sad at all, despite it trying so hard to be. I also thought the song was way too long, mostly due to the first half of it being incredibly boring and repetitive. Thankfully, things pick up a lot from there. The slower section in the middle has some good instrumentation, and the guitar solo was pretty great, along with the energetic riffs and drums that accompany it. It’s just a shame that I found the depressing parts of the song to be so… completely un-depressing, as I would have liked this track a lot better if that wasn’t an issue.

8th Place: LordCost
Thumpermonkey - Sleeve

While I found the unsettling and creepy atmosphere of this track to be interesting, as a whole, it didn’t do much for me. Musically, while it’s moody, there isn’t much else to grab onto, and I found the riffs to be a bit lackluster. I also didn’t like the vocals at all. Overall, it feels like this song just wanders around without really building up to anything or going anywhere interesting, and its atmosphere was pretty much the only thing about it that I thought was at least decent.

Artists banned this round: Novembre, Frost*, Destrage

THE SCORE SO FAR:
Parama: 25
Elite: 24
Evermind: 24
Scorpion: 21
splent: 20
Train of Naught: 18
LordCost: 13
Tomislav95: 11

CONTESTANT SONG RANKINGS:

Parama
1: Szervetlen
2: Naif / Linear Failure / My Favorite Society Guy
3: Winter

splent
1: Dear Dead Days
2: Shoot First
3: Cloud City

Train of Naught
1: Umana
2: Clarity
3: I Hold Dominion

Evermind
1: Wheel Of Time
2: Pictured Within
3: The Grandest Accusation

Tomislav95
1: Eraser
2: I Was Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery
3: Hope

LordCost
1: smilelobber
2: Severed
3: Sleeve

Elite
1: Fisheye
2: Are You Kidding Me? No.
2: Oncoming Dark / Through The Glass / Cinnamon Balls

Scorpion
1: The Garden Of Fire
2: Marionette
3: Beggars

Time for Round 4!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2016, 07:28:03 PM »
okay, gotta find something even worse then  :corn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2016, 07:51:51 PM »
okay, gotta find something even worse then  :corn
Try to be worse than me :P

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2016, 10:34:34 PM »
Nice! I like how it's going so far.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2016, 12:50:32 AM »
I'm liking the positive reactions for Novembre :corn come to the dark side my friends.

May send right now if I can think of something within the hour, otherwise it'll be this evening.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2016, 03:29:54 AM »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2016, 06:38:50 AM »
 Yes…

I will send something this weekend. I promise it will not take as long as last time :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
Sorry, had a busy weekend and no time to pick a song for you. I'll send something in 24-26 hours from now on.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »
I send in 4-5 hours

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »
Still need something from Elite.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2016, 02:15:14 PM »
what else is new  :corn

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2016, 03:35:31 PM »
But I submitted even with my lower frequency of posts!!!