Author Topic: 2016 Olympics  (Read 5975 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 Olympics
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2016, 03:32:16 PM »
Phelps has evidently tied Leonidas of Rhodes' 2,168 year old record for individual wins at the Olympics.

https://deadspin.com/michael-phelps-tied-a-2-168-year-old-olympic-record-1785077553

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 08:56:01 AM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2016, 08:24:05 PM »
This is Michael Phelps' word. We're all just swimming in it.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2016, 08:45:30 PM »
Penny Oleksiak!!  Canada's mini-phelps. 16 year old competing in her first Olympics now has 2 bronze, 1 silver and a gold she's sharing with Simone from the US (olympic record too!)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2016, 11:26:31 PM »
and a gold she's sharing with Simone from the US (olympic record too!)

that was an awesome race.  she and Simone both seemed to come out of nowhere the last 25 meters to win it.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
Womens Soccer Team should be ashamed of themselves. Although, they haven't played that well at all in any of the games this Olympics so it's not surprising they just lost. How you miss (2) Penalty kicks as a professional soccer player is confusing. Their two misses were horrid misses. Oh well, can't win them all....but they looked distraught after losing.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2016, 07:44:37 PM »
What I don't like is the US goalkeeper calling Sweden "cowards" and that rant as a whole. In football (american) and hockey especially teams are praised for playing good defence and shutting down superior offences, but in soccer ita cowardly suddenly? Didn't Iceland get called out for it in the Euros too? You lost to a team that game planned specifically for you, and it's on you for not being able to alter your tactics on the fly, especially as professional athletes who do this every day.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2016, 08:26:03 PM »
What I don't like is the US goalkeeper calling Sweden "cowards" and that rant as a whole. In football (american) and hockey especially teams are praised for playing good defence and shutting down superior offences, but in soccer ita cowardly suddenly? Didn't Iceland get called out for it in the Euros too? You lost to a team that game planned specifically for you, and it's on you for not being able to alter your tactics on the fly, especially as professional athletes who do this every day.

I've never been a fan of Hope Solo. She's a real sore loser, no doubt about it.

On a more positive note, Katie Ledicky in the 800m freestyle was borderline obscene to watch. Possibly the most dominant win I've seen in the pool.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2016, 10:12:45 PM »
she's swimming a different race than everyone else in the pool and it is amazing to watch
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2016, 10:48:34 PM »
all you guys talking about swimming and i'm sitting here amazed at U.S.A.'s women's gymnastics team

also simone manuel went to my high school
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2016, 02:15:18 AM »
all you guys talking about swimming and i'm sitting here amazed at U.S.A.'s women's gymnastics team

That's awesome! I was getting emotional when I watched her win. And I'm a big fan of the gymnastics as well. There's just a certain drama to it that's irresistible.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2016, 08:33:04 AM »

I was surprised that there wasn't a country or individual from another country that was even in the same ballpark as far as skill is concerned. Our ladies starting difficulty level on each event averaged a full point more difficult....that's insane!

And I think Gabby Douglas deserves all the flack she's getting. First off, she shouldn't have even been on the team. She didn't qualify and was a 'coaches pick' solely due to her performance 4 YEARS AGO. They left off more talented girls who busted their butts and beat her fair and square. So then, when she doesn't make the all around competition...sure you can see she's upset and ticked she didn't make it but in several different interviews afterwards in multiple instances she was given many chances to congratulate the two girls who did make it. But she didn't...she didn't mention them...congratulate them...nothing. Spoke about herself the entire time. Finally, while watching Simone and Aly compete she clearly looked like she was being held hostage and did not want to be there while the other ladies on the team smiled and cheered and lived in the moment, because they were grateful. I hope with all hopes that she does not win on the parallel bars because she's acting like a spoiled little, ungrateful brat.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2016, 10:18:10 AM »
Wow, the brother of a dude I used to work with just won a bronze medal with the eight rowing team men, small world! (or rather, small country)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »
I love the Olympics, both summer and winter.  Some truly remarkable athletes out there.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2016, 08:56:24 PM »
I'm way more of a winter fan than summer fan, but I can still enjoy summer Olympics. Hurray for the gold in high jump too. :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 09:13:46 PM »
I have to say, all of this "Bolt is a better Olympian than Phelps" chatter the last few days makes zero sense to me. The last time I checked, 23 gold medals is more impressive than 7. Plus, swimming entails so much more than simply running fast. Not saying running fast is easy, or that being the fastest man alive isn't impressive, but to me there just seems to be a greater level of difficult in dominating swimming, which has more facets to it.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2016, 09:31:58 PM »
I have to say, all of this "Bolt is a better Olympian than Phelps" chatter the last few days makes zero sense to me. The last time I checked, 23 gold medals is more impressive than 7. Plus, swimming entails so much more than simply running fast. Not saying running fast is easy, or that being the fastest man alive isn't impressive, but to me there just seems to be a greater level of difficult in dominating swimming, which has more facets to it.

I think it's difficult to compare the 2 since the sports are so different from each other. That being said, Phelps has 23 gold fucking medals!! And the sweep of all 8 events in Beijing was dominance of the highest order.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2016, 09:48:11 PM »

I think it's difficult to compare the 2 since the sports are so different from each other. That being said, Phelps has 23 gold fucking medals!! And the sweep of all 8 events in Beijing was dominance of the highest order.

It shouldn't even be a conversation. If Bolt is still dominating after his 5th trip to the Olympics then 'maybe' it starts to become remotely debatable. Right now it's just insulting to Phelps who is on an entirely different level than Bolt. Phelps is Master class.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2016, 10:29:55 PM »

I think it's difficult to compare the 2 since the sports are so different from each other.
It shouldn't be happening at all. Comparing the two is pure silliness. Phelps competes in far more events than Bolt so comparing medal count 1:1 is very purposefully biased. They're both GOATs at what they do.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2016, 12:03:06 AM »
I don't think Bolt is any better than Phelps, but I also strongly feel that Phelps' 28 medals (23 gold) massively overstates his success. Olympic swimming is pretty ridiculous as there are just such an absurd number of medals requiring pretty much identical skill. So if someone dominates in swimming (as Phelps has done), they can get dozens of medals. If someone dominates in basically any other sport (except, arguably, gymnastics) then they couldn't hope to come close to that number without a much greater range of skills.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2016, 05:42:45 AM »
Talking as Neutral coming from Britain (currently second in the medal table!!!) Bolt is much bigger star here than Phelps. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2016, 06:39:17 AM »
I don't think Bolt is any better than Phelps, but I also strongly feel that Phelps' 28 medals (23 gold) massively overstates his success. Olympic swimming is pretty ridiculous as there are just such an absurd number of medals requiring pretty much identical skill. So if someone dominates in swimming (as Phelps has done), they can get dozens of medals. If someone dominates in basically any other sport (except, arguably, gymnastics) then they couldn't hope to come close to that number without a much greater range of skills.

I think you're underestimating swimmers.  Swimming the backstroke is much different than swimming the breaststroke, for example.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2016, 07:09:04 AM »

I think you're underestimating swimmers.  Swimming the backstroke is much different than swimming the breaststroke, for example.
I'm not underestimating swimmers, I'm saying that it's overstated in comparison with other sports. Sure they're different specific skills (in Phelps case, it's more front crawl and butterfly), but then his medals are doubled up by doing everything in both 100m and 200m, for example. There's similar duplication in athletics, though not quite as extreme (for example the relays are 4x100m and 4x400m which is more distinct than 4x100 and 4x200).

They added golf this year, but they don't have separate medals for accurately hitting it 100m, 200m, 300m, putting, short play, etc. They just had 2 medals - one men's, one women's. Now that's an extreme example at the other end of the spectrum, but still.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
^^ I wonder if Mini-Golf is going to be a thing in future Olympics?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2016, 06:26:10 AM »
I think Darts, Bowling, and Billiards should be added. If badminton and ping are in there why not the others?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2016, 07:19:40 AM »
Everything Phelps appears to be, Ryan Lochte is not. 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2016, 07:46:58 AM »
ha thats always been the case!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2016, 05:04:41 AM »
In the name of the Olympic spirit I have decided to adopt an underdog , a team that isn't expected to do well.  In fact I am considering flying over to provide them with as much encouragement as I can.  Whatever they need.

The Brazilian (twins) synchro swimming team.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2016, 05:55:48 AM »
The Brazilian (quadruplets) synchro swimming team.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2016, 05:56:10 AM »
That mic's a bit low though....remind me of another classic meme....  ;D

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2016, 05:58:00 AM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2016, 05:59:03 AM »
In the name of the Olympic spirit I have decided to adopt an underdog , a team that isn't expected to do well.  In fact I am considering flying over to provide them with as much encouragement as I can.  Whatever they need.

The Brazilian (twins) synchro swimming team.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2016, 07:26:32 AM »
One of the Dominican Republic volleyball players was brought to my attention over the last day or so, and, well.... I like volleyball. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2016, 08:52:03 AM »

I'm not saying he and these other D-Bag swimmers who fabricated the robbery story should get jail time or anything.....but there needs to be some sort of consequence other than them offering an apology. What they did and how they handled themselves was extremely disrespectful to America and Rio....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2016, 08:57:46 AM »

I'm not saying he and these other D-Bag swimmers who fabricated the robbery story should get jail time or anything.....but there needs to be some sort of consequence other than them offering an apology. What they did and how they handled themselves was extremely disrespectful to America and Rio....

I believe the swimmers who didn't get out of Rio are paying fines.  I would personally hope something gets to Lochte as well for the embarresment to our country, but maybe he gets away with it since he made it home.  The news was saying a possible suspension from the Olympics seems very possible.

However, since when was phelps a good boy?   I mean, a DUI and caught smoking a bong aren't the worst things in the world (like I can talk  :lol), but it's also not like he's a model citizen either.