Author Topic: My Astonishing Collector's Boxes arrived but were badly damaged. [PIC HEAVY]  (Read 4036 times)

Offline The J-Man

I ordered two boxes. One for myself and one for my brother. They arrived today and I could not be more disappointed with how these items were packed.

Here's a video of my unboxing.
https://youtu.be/F2ur3ocsfz4

Here are photos of the various damage.

Suffice it to say, I'm not at all pleased and will be taking this up with Roadrunner first thing tomorrow morning. I just hope they have 2 more to replace these with. I also hope nobody else has to go through this.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Shit that's bad.  Some heads need to roll over this mate, demand 2 more.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bhull

Wow, just wow.

One thing I had noticed on the signed posters was that the poster seemed to have been carelessly handled.  Going off that, your experience doesn't surprise me.

I'll use this thread to post my own unpacking video once it gets here Friday.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Can you tell whether it was damaged before sent or likely damaged in transport?  And if the latter, is it an issue of it not being packed properly, or the postal service not handling it properly?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
Wow, very sorry for you. I can't believe it was sent like that.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline zappafrank2112

Can you tell whether it was damaged before sent or likely damaged in transport?  And if the latter, is it an issue of it not being packed properly, or the postal service not handling it properly?

Not to dismiss your question, but in the big scheme of things, it's honestly RR's fault either way.  Not sure if you looked at the video or not, but in it he shows how there's barely any padding in the box (a couple of basically deflated air wrappers, with both box sets rubbing up against one another, with nothing protective in between them).

Though possibly either a RR issue or delivery service issue, it also looks from my vantage point that the shipping box itself seems weaker and not entirely sound.

But if the boxes weren't packed damaged (extremely unprofessional if so in terms of quality control), then the packing container itself opened up the door to damage (hard to believe someone would actually look at what was used and think, "It'll be fine!").

Just shameful all around.

I wonder if the band members themselves will raise any hell.  Apparently they weren't even aware of a delay until someone here was able to get in touch with Jordon.

ETA: Also wouldn't be surprised if people receive broken NOMACs.

Offline Skeever

Wow, feeling for you. Hopefully you at least get a refund.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, what a way to find out that someone thought enough to buy me a box set  :metal

Offline bhull

Woke up this morning and looked at your pictures/video again.

It actually looks like the box pieces weren't properly fitted together before they were shrink wrapped.  It probably would have been a recoverable mistake, but then they poorly packaged it, and the misaligned box edges were more prone to damage.

After this many delays, lack of communication, and now they can't even manage to get the last few steps right makes for a complete shit-show from end to end.

If mine shows up looking like yours, I'll be taking to Warner Brothers (RRs owner) twitter page about it.  This has just reached epic levels of dereliction at many levels over there at RR.

https://twitter.com/warnermusic

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Not to dismiss your question, but in the big scheme of things, it's honestly RR's fault either way.  Not sure if you looked at the video or not, but in it he shows how there's barely any padding in the box (a couple of basically deflated air wrappers, with both box sets rubbing up against one another, with nothing protective in between them).

Oh, okay.  No, I hadn't seen the video.  Just skimmed the thread quickly and saw the pics, and based my question on that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
What'd this package retail for?

Offline The J-Man

What'd this package retail for?

$278.18

Woke up this morning and looked at your pictures/video again.

It actually looks like the box pieces weren't properly fitted together before they were shrink wrapped.  It probably would have been a recoverable mistake, but then they poorly packaged it, and the misaligned box edges were more prone to damage.

After this many delays, lack of communication, and now they can't even manage to get the last few steps right makes for a complete shit-show from end to end.

If mine shows up looking like yours, I'll be taking to Warner Brothers (RRs owner) twitter page about it.  This has just reached epic levels of dereliction at many levels over there at RR.

https://twitter.com/warnermusic

Yeah, I thought the way the two box halves fit together was strange. If they all fit that way, I actually foresee many problems in shipping.

I sent the email to their customer service department. Can't call right now because I'm at work. I'll keep you all posted.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
$278.18

They're $199 each. How did you pay $278.18?

There was a bit of shipping and tax, but nothing that should have added 78 dollars?

Offline The J-Man

$278.18

There was a bit of shipping and tax, but nothing that should have added 78 dollars?

First, I bought 2 of them.

It's been so long, but if I remember correctly they were offered at a discounted price for people who preordered them early...like in-January-early. Don't quote me 100% on that though. Like a moron, I deleted my order confirmation email from RR.

Also, the price I actually paid was $279.72...had to check my PayPal account. The first figure was from my bank account. I must have had $1.54 in my PayPal account already when I placed the order on 1/20.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
$278.18

It's been so long, but if I remember correctly they were offered at a discounted price for people who preordered them early...like in-January-early. Don't quote me 100% on that though. Like a moron, I deleted my order confirmation email from RR.

Also, the price I actually paid was $279.72...had to check my PayPal account. The first figure was from my bank account. I must have had $1.54 in my PayPal account already when I placed the order on 1/20.

I ordered mine the day they went up on the site. 12/4/15!

Offline dreamtheater360

• DTF.org Alumni
Sorry to see this. I only ordered 1, so mine arrived in a smaller box than what you received as the bubble plastic stuff was still good. Also, mine was stamped "Fragile" on the outside. Looks like the box they used should have been a little bigger to accommodate more protection material. To me looks like a packing job. If they don't reevaluate how that pack them, this will not be the only ones that get damaged in shipping.

They actually don't fit together, as in the outside printed part of the box doesn't go inside one another. There is a white cardboard part on the inside that holds the NOMAC that fits inside and both of the outside printed parts of the boxes fit to that, so that when it is properly closed, creates a seamless picture on the outside. So basically the top and bottom of the lids are aligned on the same level and are not meant to fit in one another. So I doubt they were not together properly when shrink wrapped as the design of the box wouldn't allow tone misaligned. Kind of hard to explain. But you are right, it was poorly packaged.

Offline The J-Man

$278.18

I ordered mine the day they went up on the site. 12/4/15!

Gotcha.

Not sure what the dealio is with the price then. If I had the order confirmation email, I'd be able to paint a clearer picture. Alas, I am a moron and deleted it.

Sorry to see this. I only ordered 1, so mine arrived in a smaller box than what you received as the bubble plastic stuff was still good. Also, mine was stamped "Fragile" on the outside. Looks like the box they used should have been a little bigger to accommodate more protection material. To me looks like a packing job. If they don't reevaluate how that pack them, this will not be the only ones that get damaged in shipping.

They actually don't fit together, as in the outside printed part of the box doesn't go inside one another. There is a white cardboard part on the inside that holds the NOMAC that fits inside and both of the outside printed parts of the boxes fit to that, so that when it is properly closed, creates a seamless picture on the outside. So basically the top and bottom of the lids are aligned on the same level and are not meant to fit in one another. So I doubt they were not together properly when shrink wrapped as the design of the box wouldn't allow tone misaligned. Kind of hard to explain. But you are right, it was poorly packaged.

Glad to hear yours arrived safely! Also, thanks for the info about the box fitment!

Offline dreamtheater360

• DTF.org Alumni
$278.18

Maybe they are just the box set that doesn't include the LPs. Those were $129.

Offline The J-Man

$278.18

Maybe they are just the box set that doesn't include the LPs. Those were $129.

That's it!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I hope you get this sorted out. To have waited this long for the boxset, then have it arrive in that condition must be hugely disappointing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The J-Man

I hope you get this sorted out. To have waited this long for the boxset, then have it arrive in that condition must be hugely disappointing.

Thanks! If I don't get a response to my customer service email by the time I leave work, I'll be on the phone as soon as I get home.

BTW: This is what I sent RR earlier (redacted identifying parts).

I received my order yesterday and the items were badly damaged.

This Dream Theater boxed set has been delayed many times, with very little communication to customers. I wasn't doing cartwheels about it, but I understand that these things happen and did not make a big deal about it at the time. When a late-March release turns into an August release, it's understandable for people to be a little frustrated. When a late-March release turns into an August release, and the items arrived damaged due to poor packaging, the little bit of frustration turns into something more.

Please use the following link to look at video and pictures of how the items were packed. I'm at work currently and can't attach videos or pictures to email.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=48049.0

I haven't had the opportunity to look at your return/exchange policy, but I assume it's pretty basic, like most places.

I would like 2 replacement boxed sets sent to me immediately, and packaged properly. I would also like a return label emailed to me, because there is no way I am paying for return shipping for the damaged items.

I can be reached at this email address, or by phone any time after 5pm EST, if you have any questions or need additional information.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Offline bhull

After reading your description and looking at the photos again, it makes sense now.

2 more days till I get mine.  Crossing my fingers.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
This box set thing has been a disaster all the way through. I'm sorry to hear that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
It looks more like a packaging issue, and a badly handled shipping process.

I feel bad for you, but I would also give RR a piece of my mind as well. No need for this bull.

Also, it's why I think many other bands left the label.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Aquiesence

This looks really bad. The pre-order of this box-set has caused much frustration ...
"Close your eyes, what do you see ? Dreams in rhyme with reality"
my blog: https://eburnus.blogspot.com/

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
WHAT email address are you guys sending your inquiries to?

Offline efx

I used the form under the Contact Us page. Strange though as an hour after sending a note wishing to cancel/refund the whole thing I get a confirmation email it has now shipped..

Offline zappafrank2112

I used the form under the Contact Us page. Strange though as an hour after sending a note wishing to cancel/refund the whole thing I get a confirmation email it has now shipped..

This will pose an interesting situation.  By all rights, you canceled in time.  I wonder if now they'll say, "Sorry, it's on the way, you have to keep it" or if they'll send you a return slip with no hassle.

Most awesome, least likely option? "Here is your refund, just keep the set."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
That sucks, my friend. I hope this gets taken care of. There's no excuse for that at all. Is it just the outside box with the damage? They should just send you another  case and be done with it.

Offline The J-Man

Here's a quick update. I received an email from RR Friday.

In case anyone is trying to get a hold of them, I sent my email to : roadrunner@wmgcustomerservice.com

Dear Joel,

Thank you for your email.

We are looking into the situation with our warehouse and trying to sort out the mess this has caused. We extremely apologize for the inconvenience this has given you.

Once I receive feedback, I will let you know what's going on and how we can accommodate your request for replacements.
If you have any questions, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Alisha
Roadrunner Records https://store.roadrunnerrecords.com/

Offline The J-Man

Had to follow up with RR because I hadn't heard anything for over a week. This is the response I received today.

Dear Joel,

I have checked in with our warehouse and we are receiving replacement display boxes with the next 2 weeks. You will not need to return anything to us.

Please confirm your shipping address and we will send those out to you once they are available for shipping.
Sincerely,

Alisha
Roadrunner Records https://store.roadrunnerrecords.com/

So, it looks like they're just going to send me 2 replacement outer boxes. As long as they're not damaged, I'm okay with this.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
That's what I figured they would do. It better come in super duper bubble wrap and nicely packed between two cushy FFF boobs.

Offline brando79az

Here are my own photos. I did not take a video but I did photograph the shipping box before opening it and and then the case. :(
I'm glad Roadrunner responded to you, however. That gives me hope. I will try reaching out to them as well.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
It's just arriving now?! Shit man the new album is about to come out :lol
And the damage would have infuriated me, you better give it to them good on the phone.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The J-Man

Re: My Astonishing Collector's Boxes arrived but were badly damaged. [PIC HEAVY]
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »
Update: RR have sent me ONE replacement box. I can't take pics right now, but it's in good shape. Now, I just need them to send me the other one.