Author Topic: Filming for DVD ?  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Peter1960

Filming for DVD ?
« on: August 01, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
I live in the UK and was privileged to see the first show of The Astonishing tour in London on Feb 18th. Since then the band has toured across Europe, North and South America, but there has been no mention of a DVD shoot as yet.

The Astonishing show is arguably the highpoint of the band’s career in terms of presentation and content and HAS to be filmed. Obviously, the icing on the cake would be to present it with a choir and orchestra, as a one off show.

I have noticed that some dates have been booked in the US during October; a recent interview with James mentioned elsewhere on this forum indicates that the band are intending to continue to promote The Astonishing until next March. I am intrigued as to if, and where the DVD will be shot.

If they are going to be touring the US in October / November, I cannot believe they will do another run of shows playing just The Astonishing, so soon after the first leg. Will they do an “Evening With” type show, containing excerpts from The Astonishing, plus other songs ? Will they play a one off show during this run, as a massive 4 hour + event, where they play The Astonishing in its entirety and then follow it with other material, similar to the Live Scenes from NY show in 2000 ?

Or will they play some more shows in 2017 just featuring The Astonishing, one of which will be filmed ? If the latter, where will this be ? Surely not during a third US leg ?

Any thoughts ?

Offline Darkstarshades

Re: Filming for DVD ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:49:03 AM »
You know, the thought of a massive show has crossed my mind, and I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Touring until March is a hell lot of time, and even if they do get to tour Asia, it's still a break, maybe they will use that time for rehearsals?

Yes, I'm fully aware that it's supposed to be just "The Astonishing and that's it" show, but well, if you've already worked an entire orchestra to do it, and you're already there, why not doing an extra long encore after it?

Other thought is doing two shows.
One just TA with orchestra, and the other one a long-ass 30-year celebration kind of show, no orchestra (but maybe guests).

Nightwish is planning on launching not one, but two shows this november, so I don't really see why not.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 11:55:51 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they plan on shooting another DVD. They have been doing it every tour.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »
I'd put my money on the fact that there will be another European run of shows either at the end of this year or perhaps the beginning of next year. However, I'd also expect that there will be an Asian/Oceania leg of the tour, and I could easily imagine them planning on shooting the video at the Sydney Opera House, since they've never done an official video in that part of the world and that venue would be perfect for such an occasion (or at least I'd imagine so, never having been there and not knowing much about it).

If they are going to be touring the US in October / November, I cannot believe they will do another run of shows playing just The Astonishing, so soon after the first leg. Will they do an “Evening With” type show, containing excerpts from The Astonishing, plus other songs ? Will they play a one off show during this run, as a massive 4 hour + event, where they play The Astonishing in its entirety and then follow it with other material, similar to the Live Scenes from NY show in 2000 ?

Or will they play some more shows in 2017 just featuring The Astonishing, one of which will be filmed ? If the latter, where will this be ? Surely not during a third US leg ?
I recall reading/hearing JP make some sort of comments that if they were to do a live video, that they'd probably include an orchestra and choir for the occasion. But obviously, it would be a one-off type of situation, given the massive expense of taking that many people on tour with you (or even just hiring local orchestra/choirs in each city, like what Page/Plant did in 1995).

As for the upcoming NA leg, yeah, they just went thru NA recently, but there's a lot of places that they didn't visit on that round of shows, so I can easily expect that the vast majority of the dates will be in cities not covered on the first NA leg of the tour. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they finally do a string of dates in Texas and the deep south, which has never gotten any Evening With shows from DT - after all, Indianapolis finally has a tour date, and DT hasn't played there since 1993!

Likewise, when they go thru Europe the second time (which I think is all but a given), they'll be visiting a lot of the cities/countries that were missed on the first European tour. So I wouldn't expect many of the same cities to get dates again, aside from some of the big ones (London, Paris, etc.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:02:03 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »
I'm guessing they would like to invite David Campbell to conduct the orchestra/choir, but I have no idea if he actually appears at live events. They still have Eren anyway.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 12:15:14 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they plan on shooting another DVD. They have been doing it every tour.

Except Black Clouds.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 12:33:59 PM »
I still think not launching a BC&SL Dvd was a very dumb move.
An evening format with that album and maybe the entire step suite would have been amazing.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
An evening format with that album and maybe the entire step suite would have been amazing.

That would've been perfect.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
I think shooting a DVD on every tour is a dumb move. Maybe not financially though.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »
Disagree, want something from every tour. Still drives me nuts that we don't have anything from BC&SL.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »
Disagree, want something from every tour. Still drives me nuts that we don't have anything from BC&SL.

We didn't really have anything for 6DOIT either, if you don't count the YTSEJAM release, right?

Or Octavarium? (Score doesn't count IMO)

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 02:33:28 PM »
6 out of 8 Octavarium songs are on an official DVD.
SDOIT has three songs.
BC&SL only has ONE
We didn't even get Wither on Wacken.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 02:37:26 PM »
I think shooting a DVD on every tour is a dumb move. Maybe not financially though.

How so?
It is a good move financially without risking their musical style, so how would it be a dumb move?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 02:50:50 PM »
SDOIT has three songs.
BC&SL only has ONE
We didn't even get Wither on Wacken.

To be fair BC&SL isn't that great  :corn

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 02:52:52 PM »
I'd love to have ANTR & TCoT on a Blu-Ray.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »
Well, that didn't stop having 5/7 SC songs on a DVD and one of them twice.
Also, TSF was upgraded live at BTFW.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »

7, you forgot about TW ? (live at luna park) or PA (CiM) ?

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »

7, you forgot about TW ? (live at luna park) or PA (CiM) ?

Yes. Forgot about TW on Luna Park.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2016, 05:17:53 PM »
Never Enough is on both Fan Club DVDs A Walk Beside the Band and Romavarium (same performance, actually)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2016, 05:52:58 PM »
Never Enough is on both Fan Club DVDs A Walk Beside the Band and Romavarium (same performance, actually)

Rephrasing.
Yes, but even though Romavarium was an "official" release, they don't count in the list of live album or CD releases.
If that was the case, then the High Voltage Show and the Gigantour thing give us TGP, TCOT and TGD, but we don't count them because they're not official releases and aren't very far from being just bootlegs.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:07:25 PM by Darkstarshades »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 06:03:01 PM »
Altho, thinking about it, Romavarium is about the same level of quality as CiM, if not superior in some cases.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 06:58:56 PM »

Rephrasing.
Yes, but even though Romavarium was an "official" release, they don't count in the list of live album or CD releases.
If that was the case, then the High Voltage Show and the Gigantour thing give us TGP, TCOT and TGD, but we don't count them because they're not official releases and aren't very far from being just bootlegs.

We got TGD and Honor Thy Father on Score as bonus songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 07:40:15 PM »

We didn't really have anything for 6DOIT either, if you don't count the YTSEJAM release, right?

Well I'm counting the Ytsejam releases, because it's at least something available. Even a ytsejam release would've been satisfying enough from that tour.

Why doesn't Score count? It's from the tour and has 5 songs from the album.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2016, 08:22:54 PM »

Well I'm counting the Ytsejam releases, because it's at least something available. Even a ytsejam release would've been satisfying enough from that tour.

Why doesn't Score count? It's from the tour and has 5 songs from the album.

It was an anniversary show. Just doesn't work for me as "Octavarium live". I'd like to see it played front to back in a live setting.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2016, 09:08:27 PM »
Lol
Score doesn't count but Romavarium does, wtf this world has become.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2016, 10:24:17 PM »
Score was just one show on the Octavarium/20th Anniversary Tour. The set included at least 3-4 Octavarium songs every night, and James even says on the DVD "We're out here in support of Octavarium." Of course it counts, don't be silly now.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:07:10 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 06:34:17 AM »
Lol
Score doesn't count but Romavarium does, wtf this world has become.

I've never seen romeavarium either so it doesn't count for me. ;)