Author Topic: New Jedbangers interview with James (complete translation in English)  (Read 5272 times)

SebastianPratesi

Just updated with the fully translated interview plus links below:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=48017.msg2197678#msg2197678
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:11:55 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: New Jedbangers interview with James
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:36:25 AM »
It's either going to be a one track album.

Or a really heavy album again like Train Of Thought.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 02:42:25 AM »
I can also tell you that, according to what we have talked about, it's also going to freak out all of our fans around the world.

I call reggae album. Proggae, if you will.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 03:02:18 AM »
If possible, I'd love every new Dream Theater to freak me out. I honestly think they're in a position where they don't need to prove anything or cater to fans, they should just do whatever the hell they want. Whatever that means.

Offline Ad134

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 03:07:59 AM »
If possible, I'd love every new Dream Theater to freak me out. I honestly think they're in a position where they don't need to prove anything or cater to fans, they should just do whatever the hell they want. Whatever that means.

They've already shown that they're still willing to experiment and push the boundaries of DT, I am really looking forward to how they switch things up again. Even if I don't like the end result (which is highly unlikely), I would 100% appreciate more experimentation.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 03:48:13 AM »

Absolutely agree. I want an album that after a month of listening I still don't understand if I like it or not!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 04:13:15 AM »
Even if I don't like the end result (which is highly unlikely), I would 100% appreciate more experimentation.
Absolutely this.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 04:50:38 AM »
Seems like the band have got a lot of energy right now, given how they do a world tour playing a 2hr 10min album then have plans to make their 14th album within 2017. You'd think that they'd want a break after that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 07:41:21 AM »
I can also tell you that, according to what we have talked about, it's also going to freak out all of our fans around the world.

:lol

Would love to see the entire interview translated.

Not sure how much more they could "freak out" their fans than they did with TA!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2016, 08:15:33 AM »
It will have 3 epics and one short song as single.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 08:44:59 AM »
All acoustic album.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 09:00:53 AM »
Systematic Chaos 2
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 09:50:23 AM »
The Astonishing Pt. II: The Revenge of the Townsperson.

'Sorry, can't speak, someone is waiting'.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »
The Astonishing Pt. II: The Revenge of the Townsperson.

'Sorry, can't speak, someone is waiting'.
Ha!

It's either going to be a one track album.
I'd actually like that.

You'd think that they'd want a break after that.
I assumed this Fall was sort of their break, what with Jordan doing his festivals/visit to Chile, and JM playing with The Jelly Jam. I also recall James talking about recording a new solo album soon in another interview. I don't know what's JP and Mike up to, though.

Let me get in touch with the magazine. If they give me permission, I'll try to post the translation in a few days.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »
Maybe we'll finally get that world music album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2016, 12:18:32 PM »
DT goes pop.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 06:58:59 PM »

:lol

Not sure how much more they could "freak out" their fans than they did with TA!

They have many musical possibilities available which I'm sure usual DT fans won't expect them to create.

It's like they're not afraid to fully do what they want, without them being stuck to a certain "sound"=
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2016, 07:29:03 PM »
That would be nice as well! Although, with The Astonishing featuring jazz, tango, bagpipes, mandolin, marching bands, a gospel-ish chorus - maybe they were somehow incorporating that idea into the album. It certainly makes sense with the whole message about the importance of music.

OK - I was just green-lighted by the author of the interview to translate and post it in the forum. It's long, but I think I should be done by the weekend.

EDIT: turns out it took a lot less time :P
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:10:42 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Mosh

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 08:09:05 PM »
That would be nice as well! Although, with The Astonishing featuring jazz, tango, bagpipes, mandolin, marching bands, a gospel-ish chorus - maybe they were somehow incorporating that idea into the album. It certainly makes sense with the whole message about the importance of music.
A lot of that is still Western music and the use of it was pretty minimal. I mean them writing songs with heavy influence from Eastern styles of music. Like how Home had some Indian music inspired sections. It would be cool if they did an album where each song was in a different country's musical style. I can't imagine current DT doing something like that, but then again I couldn't imagine them doing something like The Astonishing either.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 09:37:41 PM »
A lot of that is still Western music and the use of it was pretty minimal. I mean them writing songs with heavy influence from Eastern styles of music.
I know what you mean. My point was, they included many other different flavours to their rock/pop coctail. From different parts of the world (US for jazz, Argentina for tango, Scotland/Ireland et al for bagpipes).

But yeah, "Home" was a great experiment & song. I also like what they did in certain parts of "In The Name Of God" and "Bridges In The Sky", too.

EDIT: it would be actually cool if they did one song for each continent.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 10:19:19 PM »
Sebastian, thank you for the translating,.... past, present, and future.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 10:21:56 PM »
Whatifthealbumisnamedchaossystem?

Sounds very interesting to me actually.
I wonder if they're doing something during soundchecks.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Mosh

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 11:35:36 PM »
A lot of that is still Western music and the use of it was pretty minimal. I mean them writing songs with heavy influence from Eastern styles of music.
I know what you mean. My point was, they included many other different flavours to their rock/pop coctail. From different parts of the world (US for jazz, Argentina for tango, Scotland/Ireland et al for bagpipes).

It's definitely a step in the right direction. I hope they continue to pursue that.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 04:31:44 AM »
then have plans to make their 14th album within 2017.

:o Has this been confirmed?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 04:59:25 AM »

I think "at least until next March, and after that we are definitely going to make another album. We've already been discussing this," suggests that but I could be wrong. The certainty in the wording of that makes it seem that they are going to start making the album at around April / May (with ideas for it already set, so a decent amount of writing for it may already be done by then), so it could be released around November / December. ToT was done in a similar time-frame and that had a month long touring break in the middle, so that makes it even more likely that DT14 could come out in 2017.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2016, 05:17:43 AM »
Sebastian, thank you for the translating,.... past, present, and future.
That's nice, thanks! I'm happy to contribute.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2016, 05:28:54 AM »
I agree with you, guys. I'd like something them to make something that'll leave me speechless. In fact, when I was listening to TA I had big grin on my face because it was more than I was expecting. After they gave us The Gift of Music and Moment of Betrayal and could hear it is different but not too different. But then, Lord Nafaryus, Three Days, bagpipes, tango... I was wow. It is not even close to my favorite DT albums (still, I like it very much) but I appreciate they tried something different and I'd like more of it.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 06:04:40 AM »

I think "at least until next March, and after that we are definitely going to make another album. We've already been discussing this," suggests that but I could be wrong. The certainty in the wording of that makes it seem that they are going to start making the album at around April / May (with ideas for it already set, so a decent amount of writing for it may already be done by then), so it could be released around November / December. ToT was done in a similar time-frame and that had a month long touring break in the middle, so that makes it even more likely that DT14 could come out in 2017.

It makes sense, sure, but after such a large project like TA, it seems slightly doubtful that they'd be in the studio that early  after touring (especially after a year-long tour as well). Could be wrong though, only time will tell...  :corn
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2016, 07:03:28 AM »

It makes sense, sure, but after such a large project like TA, it seems slightly doubtful that they'd be in the studio that early  after touring (especially after a year-long tour as well). Could be wrong though, only time will tell...  :corn
You're supposed to say, "We shall see..." :)

Good news, looking forward to reading the whole article.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2016, 11:51:21 AM »
I'd imagine they'd take some time off after the tour.

Any time after the tour has finished is still "...after that. "

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2016, 11:54:12 AM »
Well...
The time between 6DOIT and TOT is the shortest ever, and 6DOIT was their longest album up to that point, so I don't see why not.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2016, 12:30:40 PM »
I'm expecting them to start the new CD in January 2018.  If they're touring at least through March, and I'm guessing some Euro festivals in the summer with some down time that will lead them into early 2018 unless they don't want any downtime.

As for freaking out the fans, it's tough to even guess as they just did the double concept album we've been waiting for.  Of reasonable options, maybe a one trade CD ?  I'm not even sure what to guess.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 05:05:46 PM »
Alright. So, this was conducted June 28th, a few hours before the band played at Luna Park. James was interviewed by Santiago ‘Rooster’ Bluguermann, who is a journalist and professional photographer from Buenos Aires. Apparently the interview was recorded and broadcasted by Vorterix (music website/radio) the following day, but only a short fragment –the first 2 questions– is still available online.
A few weeks later, the complete interview was translated to Spanish and included in the July issue of Jedbangers (a local rock/metal magazine), with Pantera on the front cover. Here’s its website: https://www.jedbangers.com.ar/web/jedbangers-102/. Anyway, I asked Santiago and he was cool about me posting the interview in English. (I haven’t had access to the recording of the interview, sorry). So, here you go!

“LaBrie the Astonishing”

Preferences aside, Dream Theater must be one of the best bands to be a fan of. With them, you don’t suffer long waits; in fact, they are prolific –8 albums in the last 14 years– and they frequently repeat their visits to Buenos Aires. 2016 isn’t the exception and DT has a new album and, obviously, they have come to present it to the Argentinean capital city. “We prepared a lot for this tour”, states LaBrie when referring to the tour which sees Dream Theater focused on the double album ‘The Astonishing’, their most recent release. “There were lots of rehearsals, a lot of production. It was many months dedicated to create the stage production which would best represent the album’s concept”, adds the singer. “Our first show was at the London Palladium, in London, and honestly we kicked ass. Everything went perfectly. There was a lot of nervousness amongst ourselves, but I think that’s a good thing – I don’t take it as something negative or too worrying. I believe that, for a first show, it was really, really great. Of course, as the tour progresses… You know, we are a big team which includes sound, lightning, everything that happens on the screen, the guys backstage working hard… Everything has to be like a big, perfectly synchronized dance, in a way”.

On a more personal level: what do you do during your free time on tours?
Lots of alcohol and drugs. (Laughter)

Still? To this day?
(Laughter) Yes, still… No, seriously speaking, I like exercising everyday, so I go out for a walk. I like reading as well… I try to relax. Obviously, I keep in touch with my family during the day, but I try to go unnoticed. Going out for a walk, have a capuccino… It’s kind of boring, really. I’m not the type that’s constantly looking for the hippest disco or bar to go out and get drunk… I’ve done that, obviously, at some point, but nowadays it’s more important for me to renew the energy after each show, so as to be able to connect again the following night.

I suppose one of the keys to last for so long in the music industry is knowing when to stop with the partying, right?
Absolutely. Hey, I’m not saying that I don’t like going to parties when I’m at home – having a drink and having a good time. Of course I do; but when I’m touring, I’m conscious and aware of practising some rituals: I never drink alcohol, I keep 100% focused on the shows and I do everything I can in order to keep doing this. It’s the only way to achieve this, because it’s very demanding on a creative level, because every album you release has to be better than the previous one, and the best until that moment, for the fans to keep accepting you. And beyond that, there’s the touring, which really is a tough opponent, because every tour is demanding both mentally and physically. And if you don’t stay sane, you lose your mind. You lose it. If you speak to any band which has toured for 20+ years, every musician will tell you that the way to do it is finding a pace during tours, to keep up with them and not collapse.

What is it likely getting back home? It must be a huge change, I imagine…
It’s very hard flipping the switch, because you’ve been in front of a lot of people everynight, receiving a lot of energy, picking up the feelings that the fans throw to the stage, and suddenly you are in your house and reality knocks on the door. There they are, your wife and kids, the only ones that know you as a human being. “You’re not on stage anymore, dad, relax”…

“… Now do the dishes”.
(Laughter) Exactly - “load the dishwasher”. The truth is it’s an enormous change, and it takes a couple of days to do the transition into domestic reality, but I love it. Those are the two realities in which I live in. The Dream Theater reality, and the other one – a smaller, stable reality, with my feet on the ground. As much a cliché as it sounds, it's “to thine own self be true”. Leave the character aside. Because, if you are in character all the time, your closest people will end up saying “you know what? I can’t take this shit anymore”. That’s why I think that if you are true to yourself, you’ll get the respect you deserve. And if, in turn, you give that respect back, your life will be balanced. That’s why I can tour with Dream Theater and receive that affection and praise for what we do, and then come home and enjoy who I really am.

Is it hard getting used to being away from home being a parent?
It’s not easy, not at all. I miss my family when I’m traveling. It’s another cliché, but this really isn’t a perfect job. It’s close to perfection, though. It’s making the dream I used to have as a kid come true. But no matter what job you are talking about – as great as it might be, there’s always an element which isn’t necessarilly cool. And if there’s something of which I’m burnt out, it’s the traveling. I love being onstage, in the studio – everything having to do with the creative aspect. But getting on planes or buses and traveling from city to city… It’s demanding. That side of the job I could easily leave behind. But I can’t, because it’s the only way we can do what we do. It’s hard because you are far from your loved ones, but on the long run, you learn to deal with it. You learn how to maintain a great communication with your wife and kids, or other loved ones. And from time to time they come to the shows, but that’s another issue, because I have to focus on them as well –where they are, if they are safe around town– and that can be unhealthy on the long run too. In short: you have to keep your head focused on what’s most important on each time of day.

Sounds like another job…
It’s another complication, yes. But at the end of the day, it’s like everything in life – you have to try to find a balance, and work out what you need to do to maintain it.

Speaking about your beginnings as an artist: what was the road that got you to become a profesional musician like?
Ever since I can remember, music moved me. It made me feel alive. I lived in a very musical home. My father used to play the trumpet, sing in a vocal quartet, and be part of a dance club. My mom used to sing and play the piano as well. My sister also sang and played guitar, my brother would dabble on the piano, and I, as a kid, played drums and sang. It was something I discovered at a tender age; I listened to the radio, listened to albums my old man gave to me. I listened to my older sister’s music and thought to myself “wow – I want to be part of this!”. So, as a young kid I felt I wanted to be part of music, and that’s why I went step by step in order to do so. When I was in school, I studied with my music teacher and I used to get myself into singing competitions, thinking of taking this beyond a simple hobby. I wanted to grow and eventually become a professional.

The story goes that, when you auditioned to be in Dream Theater, there were 200 candidates. Did you feel confident that you were the best among those 200?
Well, they told me so. The story goes like this: I was in Canada when I received a phone call from someone who said to me “there’s this band in New York called Dream Theater, who listened to your tape and would like for you to do an audition”, and I thought “where the fuck did they listen to my tape if I didn’t send it?”. It turns out that it was a guy called Pierre Paradis, from Quebec, who had come to see a show by my band, Winter Rose, and he saw me sing live and he freaked out. And so, he spoke to these people and flew to the US and handed them a demo without me knowing. That’s how they listened to it. So they called me and told me they had been working with a singer but they wanted to know whether I would be interested in flying over there and jam with them. I asked them to show me a bit of what they did, because they had only released ‘When Dream And Day Unite’ and I had never listened to it. They weren’t very popular yet. But when I listened to the music, I thought to myself “fuck, these guys are amazing!”. So I flew to New York, and when I met them, we all began to feel that this could work. We jammed all night through, and I remember we were in the middle of the first song and John Petrucci looked at me and told me “dude, you are sick!” (laughter). And to be honest I wasn’t sure what that was supposed to mean… I still didn’t understand slang well and I thought that he believed I was actually sick (laughter)… and he would go on “no, no, ‘sick’ in a good way – ‘awesome’!” (laughter).We jammed for another hour and then went out to have dinner, and everything flowed so well that the following day we started demoing a few songs. It all went really well. It started as soon as I got there.

It was like starting to live the dream as soon as you got there…
Well, at that point, eventhough a lot of people doesn’t know this, Dream Theater were basically unknowns. They had released their first album, which was a hit with critics, very well received by the press. But it didn’t get to the farthest reaches of the planet, only a few people had listened to it. When I joined the band, we were about to sign a new record deal, get a new manager, and we hoped that the label would support us so we could make everything work. Fortunately that happened. Because “Pull Me Under” exploded and gave us the platform on which we were able to build everything we have so far.

At that point, you guys started to feel you had accomplished something. What is it that you remember most about those years?
One of my fondest memories of those years is that we weren’t worried as other bands were about how many tickets we had sold. We didn’t even have to ask about it, because every venue was sold out. It didn’t matter which city or town we played, we knew it was full. We were doing fine in the press as well, our video appeared one or two times every hour on MTV, so it was pretty obvious that something massive was happening. And during the tour we found our song playing on the radio constantly. That told you that this was working, and it was good to know because it allowed us to build our tour on a world-wide level. We were known everywhere. That made us feel that from then on, it was all up to us – we had to defend who we were and defend our musical identity and move forward, enjoying and making the best music possible.

(continues below...)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 06:51:19 PM by SebastianPratesi »

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
(...continued from above)

We live in an age where everyone knows almost every single thing about their favourite bands through social media. There are almost no mysteries. The only ones to remain as such are the thoughts that go through the minds of musicians as they are playing, and that’s what I wanted to ask you about.
I don’t think you’d want to know that! (laughter). Most of the time I’m concentrated on what I’m doing, in character – specially on this tour in which I have to do seven characters, which is why I have to be very focused. But, believe it or not, sometimes I start to think “uh, I must call and speak to so and so” while I’m singing what I have to sing.

So you have another voice inside you that tells you these things…
Yes! I’m having a conversation inside my head about stuff I have to do, place I have to go to, or even people I have to see until, suddenly, I shake all of that off me and think “shit, you are here singing!”. We’ve talked about this in the band, because it happens to all of us, that certain things work in autopilot and suddenly your mind is everywhere but there. Mind you, 99% of the time I’m there. Those are just short moments that happen and surprise you, because you are able to have these internal conversations while singing for thousands of people the exact same way they expect you to. But with this album, which is very demanding, I’m in the moment all the time.

In ‘The Astonishing’ you have to represent seven characters throughout the album. What kind of challenge was it for you in the studio, and how does it translate in a live setting?
I think the main challenge about representing seven characters was giving each of them an identity. Then, it was thinking what way I would use my voice for each, but knowing there was only one singer for the album. That allowed me to explore a bunch of areas of my voice. I was inclined to wonder about what each character represented emotionally, what their personality was like, and that was what guided me to come up with the type of voice, of texture, that I wanted to give to each character. When it came to the female characters, I wanted to give them an ethereal, lighter air, but without forgetting that they had to show conviction about what they were expressing – with a certain strength and a certain power. With the male characters, obviously they had to be strong, asides from their personality and the emotional spectrum they moved in. So that’s what guided me. It was a challenge and something unprecedented for me, eventhough I had already used a similar approach in other albums I was a part of. For instance, when I appeared in the ‘Leonardo: The Absolute Man’ compilation, or the time I recorded with Ayreon for the ‘The Human Equation’ album. So I had some sort of experience on that front. As far as the live show, when I get to establish something in the studio, it’s easy for me to replicate it on the stage, because I know exactly what I did and I remember it vividly. So, the live performing aspect is turning out great. That’s the feedback I’m receiving both by fans and by others that come to the shows: “your representation of the 7 characters is exactly like in the album”, they say. Which is great, because that was my idea: to reproduce it.

Could we say that, vocals-wise, ‘The Astonishing’ was the most difficult album in which you’ve recorded?
Yeah, for sure, I agree. It’s not that it’s very far from the other albums, but I think that it’s the one which represented a bigger challenge – there was no room for sounding dishonest, without a clear conviction. There were many different vocal technics I had to use to try to nail each part, so there’s that as well. So yeah, it was the toughest album and the one which represented the biggest challenge.

Is it different singing a song representing a character, from singing another “normal” Dream Theater song?
I think the challenge you have with characters is that, once you establish which type of voice you’ll be using, you have to maintain that sound for the listener to immediately identify that voice without having to check the lyrics and figure out who is singing. I think that’s the biggest challenge when it comes to representing a character, as opposed to singing another song on any album. That said, I’d say the only way to grasp any song, from any album, is to immerse in what the lyrics say, internalize it. Once you are deep into that and you take it as your own expression, it allows you to represent that song with complete sincerity and be genuine. I believe the singer’s job is to nail the right emotion each song should transmit. Or what is intended to be expressed through the lyrics, and that has to be nailed 100% each time, otherwise you sound like a bloody machine, all mechanic. I think that’s very important.

You were talking about the universal conection that is generated when listening to music, which is also a concept features on the album. Do you see a world without music except for electronic sound, or is that just part of a fiction like the one in ‘The Astonishing’?
I think there is part reality there, which is where the story inspiring the album originates. The truth is, nowadays, more and more we see computers giving the user the possibility to create music without even playing a real instrument. With the help of software you can create drum parts, or keyboards, or guitar sounds. More and more, it’s becoming in something which is synthetic, not tangible. It’s not about the interaction between a human being and their instrument anymore – we are talking about something stemming from technology. We find something dissonant there: until very recently, music was the interaction between a person and an instrument, but now it’s becoming something revolving around technology. And I think that it will continue to move in that direction. There’ll be people creating sounds and those sounds will eventually become the music that represents us. I don’t think it’s science fiction. I think it’s something that is at an early stage these days. I think that, potentially, it could happen that in 10 years, in 50 years, we will be listening to something composed and generated without the presence of a human being – something created by intelligent software in charge of writing our music. And, to me, that would be a tragedy. And the worst part is that they will try to convince us that the software is able to understand and summarize all that we are emotion-wise – which I think, ultimately, won’t be possible.

When ‘The Astonishing’ was at the preliminary stages, what was your reaction when John gave you the story? Did he tell you what he had in mind?
We’d been talking for a long time about making another concept album. We were at a stage in our career where making a concept album felt right. So we were all considering that idea, until John came one day and said “I’ve got this idea, which I think we can start working on musically, and dive into it to make a concept album”. We said “let’s go for it! Let’s make it our next goal”. But it wasn’t until six months later that John handed a synopsis to us and told us “this is the story I have in mind and this is what I want to create: a story taking place 300 years into the future and so and so”. Immediately I thought it was very interesting, because we are seeing this all around us all the time – for example, with how the music industry is struggling to survive in a technological world. I think that there never was a better timing to tell this story, and I believe that everyone can relate to it. We all immersed with this project and decided to work on a message like that one.

One thing that caught my attention was that, eventhough the album has 34 tracks, none of them is as long as what Dream Theater has got us used to. The longest one is just over the 7 minutes. Was this deliberate?
(Thinks for a while) I wouldn’t say it was deliberate. We didn’t sit down and said “let’s make an album where the songs are short”. We didn’t even think we’d end up with 34 tracks. Believe it or not, the way in which we approach an idea, for this or any other album, is to work on it until, eventually, we feel like it’s complete, and then we conclude. And that goes for every composition. Whether we are talking about a song like “Wait For Sleep” from the ‘Images & Words” album, which lasts for 2 minutes and 32 seconds, or “Octavarium”, which is around 24 minutes or so. We just do what we think is necessary for a musical piece. And we don’t write an ending for it until we feel that that particular idea or mood has concluded. So, with this album, what happened was that we had to create a story that catches the listener’s attention, both musically and lyrically, and so these songs were conceived to achieve that.

What do you see in the musical future of the band after such an elaborate album as 'The Astonishing'? Is there anything left to achieve? Any goal in particular?
There are definitely many things to accomplish, we have lots of goals as musicians, and musically speaking, there are many territories we could explore. That represents evolution for the band – to feel we are trying something which puts us in another place. That’s the challenge we’ve always wanted, so as to keep us moving forward. I think there’s still lots to do, but for now the focus is on the tour, obviously. We have a long tour to promote 'The Astonishing', at least until next March, and after that we are definitely going to make another album. We've already been discussing this, and eventhough I won't reveal anything to you, we've agreed on what kind of album we want to create next time. It's going to be great, and surely it will be something which will have us fully dedicated to. I can also tell you that, according to what we have talked about, it's also going to freak out all of our fans around the world. So yeah, Dream Theater still has lots of goals to achieve.

Credits again to Santiago for the interview. Be sure to check his photograph websites for some cool pics of both classic and up and coming bands:
https://www.rockpix.com.ar/
https://www.instagram.com/gallo_rockpix/
https://www.facebook.com/Gallo-Bluguermann-Rockpixcomar-430787990446559/
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 09:11:39 PM by SebastianPratesi »

Offline Ravenfoul

Re: New Jedbangers interview with James (complete translation in English)
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2016, 06:07:13 PM »
Great, great interview. Love when we get a good one like this. Big thanks to Santiago for letting you translate that  :hat