Author Topic: New DT Tour dates  (Read 142443 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: New DT Tour dates
« Reply #1085 on: November 06, 2017, 06:34:03 PM »
Hmmmm, this is getting to be a Geddy Lee the last couple tours situation, where most footage shows him struggling badly, but most fans are like, "But he sounded great at the show I went to!"  I think the euphoria of a concert always makes certain things sound better than they really do.

whatever it is.....he sounded great at the show I went to!      :lol    Seriously though, JLB was great at Peoria and his stage presence/crowd interaction was fun as well. Certainly if you want to nit pic his performance maybe there were a couple spots here and there that one could point to and say 'SEE!!'....but, the dude sang his balls off at the show I saw.

:tup :tup

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #1086 on: November 06, 2017, 06:41:07 PM »
Hmmmm, this is getting to be a Geddy Lee the last couple tours situation, where most footage shows him struggling badly, but most fans are like, "But he sounded great at the show I went to!"  I think the euphoria of a concert always makes certain things sound better than they really do.
I disagree.  I love Geddy Lee and can admit how he struggles later in a tour with his voice.  JLB had none of those issues in Wichita.  Seriously the best he has sounded on any of the last 3 tours I’ve seen him.  Of course, it is early in the tour....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1087 on: November 12, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
Booked a flight and hotel for Dallas, I'll hold off buying a ticket for now, but down for a meet up.  The venue and hotel seem really close to the airport which makes my in/out of Dallas seem simple for the weekend.  :metal :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1088 on: November 14, 2017, 03:29:31 AM »
Saw a Hellfest poster with DT billed the same day as Iron Maiden, Helloween and Manowar!

............EDIT: which turned out to be false. Apologies. Didn't account for the possiblity of fake bills, shame on me  :facepalm: ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:35:40 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: November 14, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »
Anyone going to the NYC or NJ shows?  Anyone want to meet up?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1090 on: November 14, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
Saw a Hellfest poster with DT billed the same day as Iron Maiden, Helloween and Manowar!

............EDIT: which turned out to be false. Apologies. Didn't account for the possiblity of fake bills, shame on me  :facepalm: ;D

Yeah, 2018 will be a no tour year for DT, so that was definitely fake :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: November 17, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »
Really awesome show in NYC last night.  The sound was really good in the venue, just a great concert all around.  Must say, my friend and I really pissed off everyone in our section since we stood the entire time.  Got quite a bit of people yelling at us to sit after the first song which actually got other people to support us yelling to let us stand  :lol  I told my friend I would sit because it's a long show and they do softer songs too... but my friend didn't want to.  I think it's psychological now as when we saw Iron Maiden many years ago people yelled at us to sit and he did, but I didn't which is something we always talk about and how he regretted sitting and not enjoying the show as much.  So we stood for almost the entire 3 hours forcing the people behind us to stand too.  Oh well.  Sorry not sorry.  I had a great time. 

Wait For Sleep

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1092 on: November 17, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »
I only sat last Sunday for the intermission!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: November 17, 2017, 04:33:16 PM »
The entire floor stood.  I was in the first row on the balcony and most people were not standing in the balcony.  Granted, we made some stand and there were more tanding in the back of the balcony.  It's definitely a NYC thing were people like to sit during metal concerts.  Got to say, security was great though.  Got realy mad at us (and others) for leaving our drinks on the edge of the balcony, but otherwise didn't care about standing (or the fact people yelled at us for standing) and for camera use (such a better experience than the TA shows with the ushers ruining the experience).  Even though JLB made his comment about not using your camera too much during the concert, which I find annoying when a band brings that up at a live show, there was no issues with anything relating to the experiences from last years tour.  Also about the phone thing, looks like Tool/A Perfect Circle is getting torched on social media for their strict no phones policy similar to DT's last year.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1094 on: November 18, 2017, 10:33:10 AM »
I'll have to agree about the no phones policy. It's ok to take a quick picture every now and then, but holding a screen up often through the show is rude to the person behind you.
As far as standing up, it's ok if everyone else is standing up because they are fired up about the show. If you're the only one standing up and blocking others view, it's not ok.  I try to be mindful of the people behind me, I want them to enjoy the show too. Especially in balcony sections that's common etiquette. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1095 on: November 19, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
Went to the show at Asbury Park last night. Was in row H. DT of course was great. Me, not so much. Everyone was standing the entire show and I'm no kid and my legs and back were killing me and made the experience less than it should have been. If you want to stand for the "big" songs, OK but for a 56 year old man with flat feet to stand for 3 hours was brutal. Not sure why you have to stand. Not like people were dancing. Not like you can't see the same things sitting down. If you're the only ones standing and everyone behind you is asking you to sit and you still stand, pardon me, that is being an ass less than accommodating. Sorry.  OK, old man rant over.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1096 on: November 20, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
Booked a flight and hotel for Dallas, I'll hold off buying a ticket for now, but down for a meet up.  The venue and hotel seem really close to the airport which makes my in/out of Dallas seem simple for the weekend.  :metal :metal
Wherebouts is your hotel?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: November 20, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »

Holiday inn express next to the Irving Convention center, looks like i can walk to the venue from there, but google maps also shows the area completely unbuilt and under construction which must not be true if the venue really is there  :lol

Went to the show at Asbury Park last night. Was in row H. DT of course was great. Me, not so much. Everyone was standing the entire show and I'm no kid and my legs and back were killing me and made the experience less than it should have been. If you want to stand for the "big" songs, OK but for a 56 year old man with flat feet to stand for 3 hours was brutal. Not sure why you have to stand. Not like people were dancing. Not like you can't see the same things sitting down. If you're the only ones standing and everyone behind you is asking you to sit and you still stand, pardon me, that is being an ass less than accommodating. Sorry.  OK, old man rant over.

I was in row G.  Show was great, but honestly, other than TA shows, not sure why one would expect to sit that close on the floor at a metal concert.  I got to say, after three concerts, my legs were dead during that concert and I would have loved to sit, but that's not really an expectation when going to a concert.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1098 on: November 20, 2017, 11:57:55 AM »

Holiday inn express next to the Irving Convention center, looks like i can walk to the venue from there, but google maps also shows the area completely unbuilt and under construction which must not be true if the venue really is there  :lol
Nah, it could still be true.  :lol

The venue was massively behind schedule, and it's part of a huge entertainment complex which is probably still under construction. I know the venue proper is complete and from what I've heard quite nice, though.

Don't know if you're in for one or two nights, but you should make a point to hit Mercado Juarez for dinner. It's always been reliably good Tex-Mex and it's five minutes from your crib. It also shares a parking lot with one of this country's top five titty-bars. I bring this up because before becoming The Lodge it was a nightclub where Dream Theater played several gigs the last time they came through touring I&W.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: November 20, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »
Nice, sounds good.   :metal :metal

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1100 on: November 21, 2017, 07:19:26 AM »
Based on what I read for the previous shows, I was expecting JP to say something at Asbury Park, but he said absolutely nothing. James was the only one speaking and sometimes it was hard to understand him with the lunkhead behind me yelling "what happened to Don't Look Past Me?" over and over again.  ???

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1101 on: November 21, 2017, 07:56:21 AM »
Based on what I read for the previous shows, I was expecting JP to say something at Asbury Park, but he said absolutely nothing. James was the only one speaking and sometimes it was hard to understand him with the lunkhead behind me yelling "what happened to Don't Look Past Me?" over and over again.  ???

Yea JP had a short funny speaking spot in NYC, was surprised he never spoke in NJ.  And also  :lol at the guy yelling about DLPM.  The first time JLB looked right at him (I think, it looked like JLB looked right at me, but the guy was directly behind me) and made a face and said "anyway..."  and continued his talking.  I also couldn't understand half the things JLB said in NJ.  Seemed like a lot of mumbling.  Also JLB messed up the opening verse in Under A Glass Moon (or maybe it was the second verse, but he was off time for the first line of the verse) and had a visibly mad face about it.  I thought it was hilarious, love catching stuff like that.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1102 on: November 21, 2017, 03:08:30 PM »

Yea JP had a short funny speaking spot in NYC, was surprised he never spoke in NJ.  And also  :lol at the guy yelling about DLPM.  The first time JLB looked right at him (I think, it looked like JLB looked right at me, but the guy was directly behind me) and made a face and said "anyway..."  and continued his talking.  I also couldn't understand half the things JLB said in NJ.  Seemed like a lot of mumbling.  Also JLB messed up the opening verse in Under A Glass Moon (or maybe it was the second verse, but he was off time for the first line of the verse) and had a visibly mad face about it.  I thought it was hilarious, love catching stuff like that.

Did the bit about there only being one city in Canada "not that I'm bitter" come off a little weird to you? Like maybe he was actually mad :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #1103 on: November 21, 2017, 06:51:04 PM »
The Asbury Park show was awesome!  Considering how much I hated the TA show in Newark last year (because I hate the album), it could only go up.  But, it was truly a great show.  My wife and I were in Row C on JM's side.  Was so glad to get To Live Forever instead of Don't Look Past Me.  It was definitely a pleasant surprise.  As for the timing of UAGM, it was the first 2-3 lines of the first verse.  He realized he was a beat or so ahead of everyone else and made the adjustment.

And, as for the phones, the staff was all over anyone trying to take a video.  I asked before the show started what the policy was.  Initially, I was told only "no video".  Then, I was told "no video, no photos".  When the second set started, I finally decided to take a few pictures because they were letting everyone get away with pictures.  I got a JP pick at the end of the show, too.   :metal

Did I mis-hear James, or at the end of the show, did he say "we'll see you in '19" with a new album and tour?  I know JP has his G3 tour early next year.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1104 on: November 21, 2017, 08:35:43 PM »

Did the bit about there only being one city in Canada "not that I'm bitter" come off a little weird to you? Like maybe he was actually mad :lol

I don't think so, the spoken parts in general were a bit awkward, but I didn't get the vibe he was mad at that. 

The Asbury Park show was awesome!  Considering how much I hated the TA show in Newark last year (because I hate the album), it could only go up.  But, it was truly a great show.  My wife and I were in Row C on JM's side.  Was so glad to get To Live Forever instead of Don't Look Past Me.  It was definitely a pleasant surprise.  As for the timing of UAGM, it was the first 2-3 lines of the first verse.  He realized he was a beat or so ahead of everyone else and made the adjustment.

And, as for the phones, the staff was all over anyone trying to take a video.  I asked before the show started what the policy was.  Initially, I was told only "no video".  Then, I was told "no video, no photos".  When the second set started, I finally decided to take a few pictures because they were letting everyone get away with pictures.  I got a JP pick at the end of the show, too.   :metal

Did I mis-hear James, or at the end of the show, did he say "we'll see you in '19" with a new album and tour?  I know JP has his G3 tour early next year.

Yup, he said they'll be back in 19.  Also, the staff was very strict in the first 10 minutes of the show with using your phone.  The guy directly in front of me got spoken to by security during the first song and then sat the entire show for whatever reason.  They loosened up after that and it seemed as long as you didn't hold your phone up high or record for more then 30 seconds then security didn't care.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #1105 on: November 21, 2017, 09:55:12 PM »
Just got back from the Long Island show.  Felt tons of nostalgia, and it was a pretty good show (and we ended up sitting like right next to Petrucci's mom for the last half of the show), but suuuuuuuuuuuuper bummed about not getting Don't Look Past Me.  I would have traded that for literally any other song in the set.  We did get Spirit Carries On though (somebody there told me that apparently JP's mom loves that song, and that it may have been dropped into the set because she was there).

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: November 22, 2017, 07:14:05 AM »
Just wrote about my dislike of the song trade off in the other thread about the new setlist, but if that's the reason, then I think that's a fine enough one.  Got to keep your mom happy

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #1107 on: November 22, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »
So, is DLPM gone from the set now?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: November 22, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »

Seems like it, hasn't been played in quite a few shows now.  Really hoping it comes back for the last show of the tour

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1109 on: November 22, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »

Yeah, it was dropped after the Toronto show (6 shows ago, at this point)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #1110 on: November 22, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »

Seems like it, hasn't been played in quite a few shows now.  Really hoping it comes back for the last show of the tour

Did they put anything to replace it? Or just one less song?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1111 on: November 22, 2017, 02:56:51 PM »

Did they put anything to replace it? Or just one less song?

One less song

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1112 on: November 24, 2017, 01:28:59 AM »
We did get Spirit Carries On though (somebody there told me that apparently JP's mom loves that song, and that it may have been dropped into the set because she was there).

I love TSCO - it's still just about the best song DT have recorded, and they should play it at every show.
And yes, I know...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline JohnLocke

« Reply #1113 on: November 26, 2017, 05:18:14 PM »
Sorry for triple posting.

Does anyone know how long the sets last, and the intermission? Its an important matter.

I saw them November 15th at the Orpheum in Boston. First set was just over an hour. Then came a 15 minute intermission. Second set was about 1 hour 15 minutes. James said goodnight...not even 3 minutes later they were back and finished the night with ACOS. All in the show was about 2 hours 35 minutes.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1114 on: November 27, 2017, 01:36:07 PM »
Well, it's official, I'm going to Dallas to finish up what I missed. It's gonna be great seeing the last show of a Dream Theater tour. Look foward to it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1115 on: November 29, 2017, 06:40:19 AM »
I just wanted to check in and say that the Raleigh show was awesome. I definitely get the sense that we're a permanent stopping ground now. They had a really nice turnout and the crowd was loving every minute of it. The show was especially cool for me because it was my first time seeing the band perform a full set of old songs versus mostly The Astonishing. For me, Hell's Kitchen, Metropolis, Wait for Sleep / Learning to Live, and A Change of Seasons were highlights. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: November 29, 2017, 08:27:44 AM »
Nice,  I really think Hell's Kitchen comes off as awesome live, it's not long either so it kind of just slips into the set perfectly and has that longer intro.  :metal

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1117 on: November 29, 2017, 12:59:59 PM »
Nice,  I really think Hell's Kitchen comes off as awesome live, it's not long either so it kind of just slips into the set perfectly and has that longer intro.  :metal

That was great. Too bad those two songs are out of the set, because it was a great mood setter for To Live Forever
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: November 29, 2017, 01:08:34 PM »

That was great. Too bad those two songs are out of the set, because it was a great mood setter for To Live Forever

Yea, it flowed well into that next song.  Pretty bummed about the dropping of those songs, but at least I will see a different track than the previous shows.

Also, I am all booked up for Dallas this weekend well except for a ticket, show's got plenty of availability but I think I may be able to snag something solid for a good price the day of.  Plus my local Dallas friend is still up in the air for coming so there's that reason to hold off on buying the tickets.  I dumped all my hertz reward points for a Camaro convertible rental as well, I'll enjoy my time in Dallas  :lol 

If anyone else is attending and wants to do a meet up before hand let me know, I expect to be around.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1119 on: November 29, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »
So now we lost TLF in favor of yet another rendition of TSCO? Man, what a disappointment this band has become to me.
E.F. Benson