Author Topic: New DT Tour dates  (Read 142434 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: New DT Tour dates
« Reply #490 on: November 18, 2016, 05:57:38 AM »
Observations on my third time seeing The Astonishing live:

Abridged Album:  From what I recall, five songs were nixed: X-Aspect (too bad  :-\), Road to Revolution, Heaven's Cove, Begin Again and Whispers on the Wind.

Having Act I end with A New Beginning was perplexing for many because there was no indication that the set would wrap early.  James was long gone from the stage during the instrumental section and JP solo, so once the song ended, and the band ran off stage and the lights went up, a few people were scratching heads.  Awkward.  As far as better pacing, I can understand that argument, but having grown accustom to the song order, the missing tracks were very noticeable to me. 

Our New World:  Lizzy sounded great live! 

Heard rumblings that Astonishing was given space as an encore, but not last night. Hymn, Power Down and Astonishing played consecutively without a break. 

The added "classic" encore gave a much needed boost in energy to the audience, and the band responded in kind.  Didn't expect a mini-solo spot before Spirit, which was nice.  Perhaps the classic encore was trade up from those missing tracks after all.

This was the first time that I noticed that the NOMAC picture kiosk in the lobby was transmitting fan images onto the stage screen during the intermission.  I suppose that's the interactive element that was advertised.  Pretty cool though.
I was wondering how Lizzy did.  Thanks for that.  Did they introduce her?  then she comes out and sings the song the goes off stage?  Wondering how all that went.  What about interactions with the crowd and James?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #491 on: November 21, 2016, 07:15:58 PM »
Song started as usual, and then James introduced Lizzy.  She was very jazzed to be there, trading smiles and enthusiasm with the band.  After JP's solo she bowed in the "I'm not worthy" gesture.  Personally, I thought her voice was very crisp and on spot.   After the song James invited applause for her, she waved to the crowd and waved thanks to the band.  Lights dimmed and Power Down came right after.

(also, a side note - during the encore James introduced Pull Me Under as a new song appearing on their next album. hahaha).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #492 on: November 21, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
(also, a side note - during the encore James introduced Pull Me Under as a new song appearing on their next album. hahaha).

:lol I can imagine the reaction from the crowd after that  :laugh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #493 on: November 21, 2016, 08:12:46 PM »
I found a couple clips of the Encore songs from Grand Prairie on Youtube:

- Pull Me Under
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUoM4vnismc

- As I Am (solo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azHJJp-l4CY

- The Spirit Carries On (solo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zov1SWUOQ0

Thanks. Checking these out now.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #494 on: November 22, 2016, 05:39:58 AM »
Just watched the Pull Me Under video, the lighting was really great.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #495 on: November 22, 2016, 08:06:08 AM »
Just watched the Pull Me Under video, the lighting was really great.
Yeah, that's one of the big reasons the encore is the way to go. It couldn't be any more different that the strobe-heavy lighting of TA and comes as a nice change. When I saw that I thought "Oh yeah, good lighting can do that."
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #496 on: November 22, 2016, 09:11:16 AM »
It's funny how DT's facebook page advertised that PMU fan youtube video.  Shows exactly what DT have done wrong this 2nd leg.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #497 on: November 22, 2016, 11:21:06 AM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #498 on: November 22, 2016, 12:04:51 PM »
- Pull Me Under

That's gonna be a rough I&W tour :(

You mean it because of James's voice? Or anything different? I don't think he sounds that bad here, but considering he hast to keep up with the whole IAW album, night after night, that might just destroy him  :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #499 on: November 22, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »
- Pull Me Under

That's gonna be a rough I&W tour :(

You mean it because of James's voice? Or anything different? I don't think he sounds that bad here, but considering he hast to keep up with the whole IAW album, night after night, that might just destroy him  :'(

It's not that bad, but also PMU is not the hardest song to sing on that album so we shall see. I hope he doesn't force what isn't there. I'd rather him play it safe and focus on quality as opposed to trying to belt out every note.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #500 on: November 25, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »

I don't know, I mean, this section:

https://youtu.be/yUoM4vnismc?t=205

is pretty brutal. More than half of the notes are off-pitch. And now imagine the full album, 3 nights in a row.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #501 on: November 25, 2016, 06:54:42 PM »

I don't know, I mean, this section:

https://youtu.be/yUoM4vnismc?t=205

is pretty brutal. More than half of the notes are off-pitch. And now imagine the full album, 3 nights in a row.

Well, I really like James and all the work he's done with DT, but, being honest, sometimes I wish he took a couple years off to rest his voice and often wonder what would DT sound like with another singer  :-\
He sounds great in the studio, but live he's the weakest link  :'(

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #502 on: November 25, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »
I just don't understand why they keep writing stuff for him he obviously won't be able to deliver live.
Another, more current, example:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YShCks2GfFo&feature=youtu.be&t=1180

And it's not just a bad night there, it was exactly like that in Boston too when I saw them live.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #503 on: November 25, 2016, 08:46:44 PM »
I just don't understand why they keep writing stuff for him he obviously won't be able to deliver live.
Another, more current, example:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YShCks2GfFo&feature=youtu.be&t=1180

And it's not just a bad night there, it was exactly like that in Boston too when I saw them live.

I had seen that video before, but forgot how painful it was  :'(

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #504 on: November 25, 2016, 09:07:56 PM »
Oh god, I have now developed a morbid fascinating with that section: Here a concert in Chile:

https://youtu.be/sLu0ClOcNQs?t=85

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #505 on: November 25, 2016, 09:13:40 PM »
Oh god, I have now developed a morbid fascinating with that section: Here a concert in Chile:

https://youtu.be/sLu0ClOcNQs?t=85

That's the one I checked to make sure your earlier video wasn't just a one off bad night.

:(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #506 on: November 25, 2016, 09:33:16 PM »
What will they do if they end up recording a DVD? Just overdub it?

Online Adami

« Reply #507 on: November 25, 2016, 09:36:50 PM »
What will they do if they end up recording a DVD? Just overdub it?

I think you're missing the obvious answer here...

Guest vocals by Nicky Spanjaards.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #508 on: November 26, 2016, 02:26:56 AM »
You guys need to remember him nailing Illumination theory on the previous tour, multiple times. This is the first tour with James SERIOUSLY having problems delivering the vocal melodies the way the are on the studio album. Whatever happened, it's a concern.

I just hope he finds a way to alter the melodies, change them around a bit and keep his voice in tact instead of forcing himself to hit the ridiculously high notes night after night and be done halfway through the tour.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #509 on: November 26, 2016, 06:35:53 AM »
I just hope he finds a way to alter the melodies, change them around a bit and keep his voice in tact instead of forcing himself to hit the ridiculously high notes night after night and be done halfway through the tour.

When they start playing the whole IAW next year, he might be done halfway through the set  :-X

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #510 on: November 26, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »
You guys need to remember him nailing Illumination theory on the previous tour, multiple times. This is the first tour with James SERIOUSLY having problems delivering the vocal melodies the way the are on the studio album. Whatever happened, it's a concern.

Nah, sorry have to disagree. There has not been a tour in forever where James didn't struggle. BTFW is pitch-corrected and overdubbed up the wazoo for that reason for example.

DT just needs to stop pretending they're the virile band of the 80s, and write melodies for their singer he can sing live.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #511 on: November 26, 2016, 12:44:47 PM »
That section wasn't too bad in Tuscon. The problem is the cameras don't really capture his vocals good. He went pretty high at the end of that part.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #512 on: November 26, 2016, 01:54:11 PM »
I'm sorry, but no. Frankly, I think you're just not hearing it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #513 on: November 26, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »

DT just needs to stop pretending they're the virile band of the 80s, and write melodies for their singer he can sing live.

I will forever disagree with this 100%.  The advantage of the studio over the live environment is you can do things you might not be able to do live, and that includes difficult vocal parts.  In 20 years, almost no one is gonna care if JLB couldn't hit a particular vocal part that one time they saw him sing it live, but they'll still be listening to him kill it in the studio.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #514 on: November 26, 2016, 04:52:12 PM »

I will forever disagree with this 100%.  The advantage of the studio over the live environment is you can do things you might not be able to do live, and that includes difficult vocal parts.  In 20 years, almost no one is gonna care if JLB couldn't hit a particular vocal part that one time they saw him sing it live, but they'll still be listening to him kill it in the studio.

The problem is that, now, bands make most of their income with concert tickets and merchandising, so, if he can't sing well live, that's going to inevitably affect the band sooner or later :-\

To be fair, James has been struggling with his singing for a while, and people still show up to the concerts and have an amazing experience anyway. I just wish they start considering the fact that he can't sing like he used to in the old days, so they can help him take care of his voice and not force it untill it disappears, just like Gabriel's voice  :D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #515 on: November 26, 2016, 06:55:28 PM »
I just wish they start considering the fact that he can't sing like he used to in the old days, so they can help him take care of his voice and not force it untill it disappears, just like Gabriel's voice  :D

That's exactly my point. Only fuzz-haired teenage boys get excited about hearing an F#. Write an interesting melody goddamnit, that's what counts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #516 on: November 26, 2016, 06:59:49 PM »

I'm with you on this Kev. They need to continue to push it in the studio. Think of Led Zeppelin. Plant's live performances were gag worthy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #517 on: November 26, 2016, 08:45:16 PM »
  Write an interesting melody goddamnit, that's what counts.

The Astonishing is loaded with great and interesting vocal melodies.

I'm with you on this Kev. They need to continue to push it in the studio. Think of Led Zeppelin. Plant's live performances were gag worthy.

Yep. JLB has always been a mixed bag for me live, but as long as he keeps killing it in the studio, it works for me.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #518 on: November 26, 2016, 08:51:20 PM »
I really don't care for vocal acrobatics. To come back to Lord Nafaryus, that section is just bad overall vocally. Musically it's really cool actually, but as with so many late DT songs, the vocals seem an afterthought. The guitars were laid down for LN, and then (I guess) James was instructed to just mirror them. He did his best in the studio, but live it's totally falling apart.

And I'm definitely not in the "only recorded media counts" camp. I love Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Queen etc etc. All those artists wrote their music keenly in mind how they would perform it too.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #519 on: November 26, 2016, 08:52:35 PM »

That's a good point. Robert Plant was(is) horrible live and it's not like it's something that developed over time. His caterwauling was unbearable to listen to on its own. Add in those off pitch cacophonous sounds and it became worse.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #520 on: November 26, 2016, 08:55:34 PM »
I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't take solace in other singers' equally poor live performance.

Online Adami

« Reply #521 on: November 26, 2016, 08:58:43 PM »
I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't take solace in other singers' equally poor live performance.

I used to be like you. I remember being really upset when a vocalist I liked was horrible live.

But then I found out that other famous singers were also not so great live and man, did it change my disposition. Now I celebrate the mediocrity.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #522 on: November 26, 2016, 11:09:54 PM »
You know. I'm thinking that before they go and make another album. They decided to actually do another mini tour with songs they haven't played as much. Plus, adding the I&W anniversary. Whom knows what greatness that tour will be.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #523 on: November 26, 2016, 11:30:46 PM »

I used to be like you. I remember being really upset when a vocalist I liked was horrible live.

But then I found out that other famous singers were also not so great live and man, did it change my disposition. Now I celebrate the mediocrity.

I agree that there are far more than people think, but it's still not a lot. I suppose when it comes to those operatic metal singers, it's not easy to reproduce flawlessly live every time. Just about every singer I've seen live (and there have been hundreds), the more operatic and powerful their vocal style the more susceptible they seem to be to mistakes.

Online Adami

« Reply #524 on: November 26, 2016, 11:33:22 PM »

I agree that there are far more than people think, but it's still not a lot. I suppose when it comes to those operatic metal singers, it's not easy to reproduce flawlessly live every time. Just about every singer I've seen live (and there have been hundreds), the more operatic and powerful their vocal style the more susceptible they seem to be to mistakes.

Very true indeed! I think Rumby's point, which I sarcastically echoed was excusing it because some others are also bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com