Author Topic: Dream Theater songs, moments, instrumentals, etc that you thought highly of.....  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
What are some Dream Theater moments you thought highly of the first time, but it has quickly grown off of you or vice versa?

For me, the main player has to be Blind Faith. At first, I couldn't stand Blind Faith at all and that would be the song I'd sick every single time, but I've grown to appreciate it now. First, I could only sigh and shake my head in disgust and when it climaxes to Petrucci and Rudess' unison, it gets me all crazy.

On the other hand, I used to like Honor Thy Father a lot, but now, it has become plain annoying. James': "Dose of re-a-lity" is now a pain to listen to. And the sampling annoys me to no end.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline don_waka

Back in high school, around 1995, I remember pushing Take the Time into my classmates and rhetorically asking how these guys could have come up with such notes and lyrics. Now I just can't stand it. The Cinema Paradiso excerpt, which I used to love, I find the cheesiest thing in DT's career now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 11:58:05 AM by don_waka »

SebastianPratesi

The Cinema Paradiso excerpt, which I used to love, I find the cheesiest thing in DT's career now.
What is that? Is it one the vocal samples before the 1st verse?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
The Cinema Paradiso excerpt, which I used to love, I find the cheesiest thing in DT's career now.

The Cinema Paradiso sample is the Italian dialogue just after "I can see much clearer now I'm blind" (which basically is the same line in Italian)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Illumination Theory is a song that I just didn't get at first. It just seemed like the band was trying to recapture the magic of Octavarium and at first the song sounded like a mess to me. Then one day I was listening to it on the bus and it just hit me. The song structure and lyrical meaning all made sense and I realized that it was actually a brilliant song.

On the flip side, Enigma Machine used to blow my mind. Now I find it to be bland and boring with shredding solos just for the sake of showing off. I still like it but it's definitely one of the band's weaker instrumentals although Mangini's drum solo still blows my mind.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

SebastianPratesi

The Cinema Paradiso sample is the Italian dialogue just after "I can see much clearer now I'm blind" (which basically is the same line in Italian)
Right, thanks!

Offline jvelvet3

The Dark Eternal Night. I thought it was so heavy and so cool when SC first came out...but now it'd be near the bottom of my list of DT songs.

Offline Mladen

I remember loving The Shattered fortress at first. Then I went through a period when it was suddenly one of my least favorite Dream Theater songs. Then, after the Along for the ride tour, I started appreciating it slightly more because it worked well live, but it's still rather average.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
The Dark Eternal Night. I thought it was so heavy and so cool when SC first came out...but now it'd be near the bottom of my list of DT songs.
This is the one for me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline pcs90

I didn't care much for the 12-step suite as a whole for a long time. I still don't listen to much of it, but TROAE has grown on me. TGP also has some great parts if they cut the MP vocals.
Scarred was another one I didn't get at first, but I love it now.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
On The Backs of Angels
Sacrificed Sons
Wither

Offline nikatapi

The Count Of Tuscany. I still like some sections, but the lyrics are atrocious and the "I" parts with MP make me cringe hard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
A Nightmare to Remember
Outcry
Honor Thy Father

I liked all of these songs a lot at first, and while I do not dislike any of them now, I almost never listen to any of them anymore.

Offline Art

The whole ToT album. It took me some years to realiza what a cool album it is. When it came out, i listened to it a couple of times only and dismissed it. Years later, i listened to it as whole in my car and it clicked.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
A Nightmare to Remember
The Count of Tuscany

Both songs are close to unpalatable for me now, although I liked them the first time I hear them.  FWIW, Tuscany lasted much longer than Nightmare.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline IdoSC

A Rite of Passage, IIRC the first single for BCSL, was also the first song I had to wait for the band to release as a relatively new fan who joined this ride back in 2008 or so. I remember first listening to this song a couple of times, initially barely understanding what's going on, then slowly thinking it's a pretty cool and unique sounding "single-type" DT song.

A couple years later, after numerous listens both to that song and to most of DT's catalog, this song gradually fell in the ranks for me and became one of the songs I never go back to. I even went to my first DT concert the year the album was released and I remember how by then I had an amazing day and all but during that song (the only song they played off of the recently released BCSL) I became temporarily frustrated and bored for whatever its length is. Eventually it came to a point where if it came up in a shuffle or something it'd irritate me a little and I'd skip it in album playthroughs. It's basically my least favorite song released by the band right now.

Offline Evai

The 'trapped inside this octavarium part' in Octavarium. I'm way too distracted by the whisper tracks to feel the aggression, although this only happens when I'm listening with headphones.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.