Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 89926 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #350 on: March 14, 2017, 07:16:15 AM »
Straight up playoff game going on between the Kings and Blues right now.

I'm just glad the Blues took the win. Some serious scoreboard watching to do down the stretch  :corn

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #351 on: March 14, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »
Some serious scoreboard watching to do down the stretch  :corn

No kidding.  As cool as it would be for the Leafs to make the playoffs, I think it would build some massive character (and drive/motivation) for these kids if they fell just short.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #352 on: March 14, 2017, 08:21:27 AM »

No kidding.  As cool as it would be for the Leafs to make the playoffs, I think it would build some massive character (and drive/motivation) for these kids if they fell just short.

True, but I'm actually hoping they make it, I'd like to see what they could do. Either way, it seems like the Leafs are pointed in the right direction, which has to be exciting up there.

In other news, my Pens keep on keeping on despite having like 7 or 8 regulars injured. Sid and Geno are picking up that slack, as they should.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #353 on: March 14, 2017, 01:04:20 PM »

True, but I'm actually hoping they make it, I'd like to see what they could do. Either way, it seems like the Leafs are pointed in the right direction, which has to be exciting up there.

In other news, my Pens keep on keeping on despite having like 7 or 8 regulars injured. Sid and Geno are picking up that slack, as they should.

Bastard Pens didn't help any last night in Calgary

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #354 on: March 14, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »

Big game next Monday between us.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #355 on: March 14, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »

I didn't see any of the game - I was too tired and didn't even watch the beginning for fear of getting sucked in before bed time - but that was a big win.   :hat

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #356 on: March 14, 2017, 06:11:09 PM »

I didn't see any of the game - I was too tired and didn't even watch the beginning for fear of getting sucked in before bed time - but that was a big win.   :hat

Stayed up for the whole thing. Jake Allen looked like old school Hasek in the second period....the Kings threw everything at him and he was sharp. Even the goal the Kings scored he 'had' but Petro's leg stopped him from grabbing the puck.

Good win all around.

My wife this morning asked if they won....I said yes and she started laughing. She's like "that's what they do to you, they're gonna suck you back in only to crush your soul again in the playoffs"   :lol  Pretty hard to argue with her on that one. But at least with this team I have zero expectations unlike other years where I was convinced the Cup was coming to StL so if/when they are knocked out it'll be less of a heart rip out and more of an 'oh well...there's always next year'.   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: March 15, 2017, 04:14:09 AM »
'oh well...there's always next year'.

We've been saying that for 50 years here.

Big game next Monday between us.

Indeed.  How they respond from their pathetic performance last night against Tampa (then the Hawks on Saturday) could lay the path in or out of the playoffs for us.  Man, the race for that final wildcard spot in the East is hot - 3 teams within 1 point... and Fla/Phi with outside hopes.  We also still have a shot to chase the Bruins down too.

"playoff" hockey is starting already.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #358 on: March 15, 2017, 09:31:59 AM »
Jingle, as a Leafs fan (presumably in the TO market area?) what's your take on Kadri? I'm curious to get a fan's perspective. My view from Edmonton is that he's a dirty player,  similar to Doan, who needs to be slapped around a little both on and off the ice. Just seems like he goes head hunting a lot.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #359 on: March 15, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »
I like Kadri. Similar to Marchand a little bit.
I've also never found Doan to be dirty, but of course, I only see a couple of his games a year.

SS, looking forward to the Oilers game tomorrow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: March 15, 2017, 10:35:33 AM »
Jingle, as a Leafs fan (presumably in the TO market area?) what's your take on Kadri? I'm curious to get a fan's perspective. My view from Edmonton is that he's a dirty player,  similar to Doan, who needs to be slapped around a little both on and off the ice. Just seems like he goes head hunting a lot.

Can't say I've ever thought too much of him to tell you the truth.  Don't really recall any dirty plays that he's done - if he has, it certainly didn't get a lot of attention around here.  He's got some grit, but hell... we had Darcy Tucker 10 years ago, and he was a fan fave.  Bear in mind, this year is the first in at least 10 that I've paid any attention to the team - having a repeatedly shit product will do that to ya.

Perhaps it's arab terrorist look he has that gives that impression?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #361 on: March 15, 2017, 10:41:26 AM »
   Bear in mind, this year is the first in at least 10 that I've paid any attention to the team - having a repeatedly shit product will do that to ya.

#fakefan
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: March 15, 2017, 11:04:22 AM »
   Bear in mind, this year is the first in at least 10 that I've paid any attention to the team - having a repeatedly shit product will do that to ya.

#fakefan

I don't have a problem people thinking/calling me that.  My allegiance isn't to the team who I happen to live closest to.  What I'm a fan of first and foremost, is good/exciting hockey.  By default, that made me NOT a Leaf fan for the last 12-ish years.  I'd always watch the playoffs, Olympics, World Championships ... but watching the Leafs just cuz I live in this market ... not so much.  Never was the case.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #363 on: March 15, 2017, 01:15:48 PM »
I've also never found Doan to be dirty, but of course, I only see a couple of his games a year.

Doan and Kadri both have a handful of hit to the head suspensions. I think Doan even has like 5 or 6. It's a quiet dirty, that's for sure. Not like a Chris Simon or Marty McSorely slash to the face.

And yeah, it should be a good game tomorrow night. There's always a ton of hostile fans in the building when an original six team rolls through town, so it should be a fun night at Rogers.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #364 on: March 15, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »

Doan and Kadri both have a handful of hit to the head suspensions. I think Doan even has like 5 or 6. It's a quiet dirty, that's for sure. Not like a Chris Simon or Marty McSorely slash to the face.

And yeah, it should be a good game tomorrow night. There's always a ton of hostile fans in the building when an original six team rolls through town, so it should be a fun night at Rogers.

Doan has 2 career suspensions. I wouldn't consider either him or Kadri as dirty players, but guys that constantly play with an edge like they do are going to have some iffy hits at some point in their careers, it comes with the territory. If either play on your team you love it, if they don't you hate it.

FWIW, I'm a Pens fan.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #365 on: March 15, 2017, 07:57:01 PM »

Doan has 2 career suspensions. I wouldn't consider either him or Kadri as dirty players, but guys that constantly play with an edge like they do are going to have some iffy hits at some point in their careers, it comes with the territory. If either play on your team you love it, if they don't you hate it.

FWIW, I'm a Pens fan.

I had to look that up.  I was surprised to only see the 2 suspensions,  but he's also had a boarding fine and a couple hits to the head that went undisciplined (Horcoff/Letang for sure). Like I said, it's kind of a quiet dirty in my opinion.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: March 16, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »
These next three games could be the make/break for the Leafs playoffs chances.

1 pt behind Tampa/NYI for the last wild card
6 pts behind Boston for 3rd in the Atlantic (with 2 games in hand)

They win both of these in regulation, things are looking up
They lose both in regulation (as Gorilla Monsoon would say), stick a fork in them, they're done.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: March 17, 2017, 06:40:25 AM »
THAT, is how you bounce-back from an ass-whooping... by delivering one of your own.  Helps that the other Canadian teams did their part too.

Optimism: restored.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #368 on: March 17, 2017, 06:54:43 AM »
Yeah the B's playing back to back and 3 out of 4 nights were due to have a game like this.  Going to be a great last few weeks.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #369 on: March 17, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »
Canes fan here. I've had fun watching them this season, but it's obvious at this point that the team will never truly improve until they upgrade at goalkeeper. I think that they have the potential to be a playoff team in a year or two, but Ward is not going to get them there. He had a wonderful Stanley Cup run in 2006, but he's not in the same place now. I'm hoping that the team finishes strong and challenges last year's 86-point total. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #370 on: March 17, 2017, 03:04:13 PM »
Canes fan here. I've had fun watching them this season, but it's obvious at this point that the team will never truly improve until they upgrade at goalkeeper. I think that they have the potential to be a playoff team in a year or two, but Ward is not going to get them there. He had a wonderful Stanley Cup run in 2006, but he's not in the same place now. I'm hoping that the team finishes strong and challenges last year's 86-point total. :metal

Canes have a great young D core, which they should have no problem protecting in the upcoming expansion draft. They still need some pieces up front, and I'm disappointed in Teuvo, I've had him in fantasy hockey for like 5 years and thought he would take a huge step this year with more ice time, but he seems to be stuck in that same 3rd line role. It's also good to see Lindholm starting to come into his own, I was a big fan of his when they drafted him, but he's spun his tires in the big leagues up until the new year.

I agree with you, though, Canes need some goaltending, and if they had it I think they would have challenged for that 8th playoff spot even this year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #371 on: March 19, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »
Loved the St. Pat's uniforms for Toronto last night. Austin Matthews got robbed of a hat trick last night. That kid is amazing. Looking forward to watching him undress Big Z Monday night! ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »
Loved the St. Pat's uniforms for Toronto last night. Austin Matthews got robbed of a hat trick last night. That kid is amazing. Looking forward to watching him undress Big Z Monday night! ;D

You ain't kidding.  That one off the shaft of Crawford's paddle was such bad luck (good if your a 'Hawks fan).  Mathews' rub this year has been the two streaks (13 games and 6 games) without goals.  It *was* cool to see those Shamrock uni's.  I knew with about 4 mins left to play that the Leafs weren't leaving with 2 points - those are the kinds of games they have so rarely won this year.  Interesting stat that was thrown up comparing the rookie years of Toews/Kane against Matthews/Marner.  The former did NOT make the playoffs their rookie year ... so again I say it would not be a bad thing for this team to miss the playoffs.

Mondays game is going to be telling.

And WTF is with Marchand?  When did he go from the leagues #1 pest to a candidate for one (or more) of Art Ross / Hart / Rocket Richard?   :omg:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
Marner is awesome too.

Chad, Marchand just keeps getting better. What you really have to watch for during the game is how he can possess the puck in traffic, and his play along the boards below the dots. It is incredible.
Their other young blooming star is David Pastrnak. The 20 y/o just hit 30 goals.

And don't forget his World Cup winning goal. The Marchand/Bergeron/Crosby lines was the best in the tournament.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
And don't forget his World Cup winning goal. The Marchand/Bergeron/Crosby lines was the best in the tournament.

Oh, indeed it was.  I just never expected him to keep it up without Crosby - and as it would appear, play as good/better than Sid himself.

Pasternak is damned impressive.  The B's have done a great job to turn things around - goddamned them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #375 on: March 19, 2017, 03:17:16 PM »
And Bergeron is still awesome!

They still need help on D. Word on the street was that Shattenkirk's family has been house hunting in Boston this year.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #376 on: March 19, 2017, 09:29:13 PM »
ALL HAIL PAUL "WE GOT THIS GUY ON WAIVERS" BYRON

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2017, 06:51:33 AM »
Oh Sid, you are so good.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: March 21, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »
These next three games could be the make/break for the Leafs playoffs chances.

1 pt behind Tampa/NYI for the last wild card
6 pts behind Boston for 3rd in the Atlantic (with 2 games in hand)

They win both of these in regulation, things are looking up
They lose both in regulation (as Gorilla Monsoon would say), stick a fork in them, they're done.

And things are looking up.  1 point back of Boston, with a game in hand.  Neither of us have an easy stretch run tho:

Boston - Ott/TB/NYI this week ... the other teams right around them in the standings.  The latter two will be playing desparate hockey.  Then they still have to face Nash/Chi/Ott/Wash over their last 6 games.

Toronto - After CBJ tomorrow, they've got three (should be) simpler teams in Buf/NJ/Fla.  Then they too have to finish out facing Nash/Wash/Pit and CBJ (again) to close the season.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #379 on: March 21, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »
Dear St. Loius fans: you're welcome.  Kings are all but buried after a rough couple nights in Alberta. Blues only play 2 playoff teams down the stretch,  so i think they're a lock to make it in.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #380 on: March 21, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »
Also,  I'm really looking forward to the Chicago/Pittsburgh final this year.  Nobody in the west is touching the Hawks. The east has a few more dominant teams, but i can't imagine Pittsburgh losing to the jackets in a series. Ever.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #381 on: March 21, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »
Also,  I'm really looking forward to the Chicago/Pittsburgh final this year.  Nobody in the west is touching the Hawks. The east has a few more dominant teams, but i can't imagine Pittsburgh losing to the jackets in a series. Ever.

At this point, this would be my prediction for the finals as well. But, the great thing about the playoffs is that anything can happen, so we will see!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #382 on: March 21, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »
Dear St. Loius fans: you're welcome.  Kings are all but buried after a rough couple nights in Alberta. Blues only play 2 playoff teams down the stretch,  so i think they're a lock to make it in.

While we appreciate it, StL is playing their best hockey of the year and have positioned themselves where they are due to their play and not relying on other teams. Not claiming theyll win the cup but I would not want to play them in the first round. The D and goaltending are simply playing unreal right now and only continue to get better.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #383 on: March 21, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »

I could see Columbus or New York upsetting Pittsburgh, and could see St. Louis stealing one from Chicago.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #384 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:11 PM »
Stealing one from Chicago?  We just beat them in the playoffs last year and always play them tough.  If the Blues get matched up with them in the first round, them winning any game won't be "stealing one."

That said, I am still hopeful the Blues snag 3rd in the division and to play the Wild, who aren't play well lately, in the first round.