Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 89918 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2016, 01:24:39 AM »
LA looks like they're off to another slow start this season, 4-1 against the Flyers
As overrated as Quick is, him being gone for the first few months is gonna hurt. We'll see how they persevere.

I missed this on my first read.  In what universe is Quick overrated? I'll admit he didn't have a great season last year,  but he's still a top flight tender in this league. I'd take him in Edmonton over Talbot any day of the week.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2016, 09:15:13 AM »
LA looks like they're off to another slow start this season, 4-1 against the Flyers
As overrated as Quick is, him being gone for the first few months is gonna hurt. We'll see how they persevere.

I missed this on my first read.  In what universe is Quick overrated? I'll admit he didn't have a great season last year,  but he's still a top flight tender in this league. I'd take him in Edmonton over Talbot any day of the week.
Last year was arguably the second best year of his career, so there's that. :P In his entire career he has had one elite tier season, and that was 5 years ago. Otherwise he consistently puts up just slightly above average totals while facing some of the least difficult shots in the NHL. He gets overrated because LA has a great history of limiting high danger shots, dangerous passes, and cleaning up rebounds, and also because he has the mix of bad positioning and great athleticism that makes a goaltender fun to watch, since he pretty much puts himself into a position where he has to make flashy saves.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »
Radulov with the beauty last night. Crazy it's his first point, he has been our best forward. Just been snakebitten. Also I'll never get tired of watching Weber just shove over guys with ease. :lol He's a welcome presence. Was nice to see the standing O he and Radulov got in the ceremony too. :)

On another note, Yak has been impressive his short time with the Blues so far. Hope he can keep it up!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2016, 07:02:02 PM »
At the Rangers vs Bruins game with my father, boy do the Rangers look disinterested after the first period.   :(

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »
At the Rangers vs Bruins game with my father, boy do the Rangers look disinterested after the first period.   :(
Awesome. Sounds like a great night out.

Trying to watch that game, the Celtic's season opener (which my son is really into) and the WS game. My clicker is having cramps.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2016, 07:56:57 PM »
As soon as I tell my father I think the Rangers won't score a goal tonight cause they look so poorly they score 3 to take the lead. Shut my negativity up real quick.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2016, 09:47:38 PM »
The Oilers are a lot of fun to watch so far this season. Speed and determination, they are playing really well.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2016, 12:14:25 AM »
Oilers definitely look great right now. Lots of offense, and Cam Talbot is proving how underrated he is.

Loving that Shea Weber is now 3rd in the NHL in scoring (was 2nd before McDavid happened). :lol No way he sustains anything like this pace and he's had an unholy amount of luck, but it's fun stuff. It'll be sad when he regresses and the fanbase doesn't know how to react, but I'll enjoy riding the current wave.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
Yeah I'm definitely having a good time watching the Oil so far. Still too early to get excited though, so I'll reserve my judgement for the 20 game mark. Based on what I'm hearing on Edmonton sports radio, I'd say a lot of Edmontonians are chugging the Kool-aid. Almost like playoffs are a certainty now lol. It's kinda sad and funny at the same time.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2016, 08:57:50 AM »
Yeah I'm definitely having a good time watching the Oil so far. Still too early to get excited though, so I'll reserve my judgement for the 20 game mark. Based on what I'm hearing on Edmonton sports radio, I'd say a lot of Edmontonians are chugging the Kool-aid. Almost like playoffs are a certainty now lol. It's kinda sad and funny at the same time.

Yikes, they have been fun to watch so far, but it's waaaaay too soon to start thinking like that. I mean most teams are like what 7 games into a 82 game campaign? Give it some time, the teams that are truly good (which might be the Oil) will be good, the teams that are a flash in the pan at the start of the year but aren't really that good (which also might be the Oil) will settle down into their proper place.

Also - is anyone else excited by the new young talent in this league? With guys like McDavid and Matthews I'm optimistic that the NHL might have found some true potential superstars that can properly carry the torch that Sid and Ovie have been carrying for like a decade.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »

Yikes, they have been fun to watch so far, but it's waaaaay too soon to start thinking like that. I mean most teams are like what 7 games into a 82 game campaign? Give it some time, the teams that are truly good (which might be the Oil) will be good, the teams that are a flash in the pan at the start of the year but aren't really that good (which also might be the Oil) will settle down into their proper place.

Also - is anyone else excited by the new young talent in this league? With guys like McDavid and Matthews I'm optimistic that the NHL might have found some true potential superstars that can properly carry the torch that Sid and Ovie have been carrying for like a decade.

Completely agree. Great young talent makes the league far more interesting to watch. And it makes it easier to sell my season tickets for games like last night's Capitals and next month when the Leafs roll into town  ;D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »

I don't think  Matthews is on that level. McDavid is though. Crosby is at the very least a top 20 all time player though and Ovechkin is a top 5 pure goal scorer (#1 in my eyes). Honestly getting two players that amazing so close together is a gift.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »

I don't think  Matthews is on that level. McDavid is though. Crosby is at the very least a top 20 all time player though and Ovechkin is a top 5 pure goal scorer (#1 in my eyes). Honestly getting two players that amazing so close together is a gift.

No, Matthews is not on the same level as McDavid, or Crosby, and probably not Ovie either. However, he's still a top level talent and fun to watch.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »
Crosby is without question in the top 10 players of all time. I might put him top 5.

McDavid looks like he might be the next Sid, but he will need a couple years to get there. I don't think Matthews is as good, but looks promising.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
Yeah I'd put Crosby in my 10. Just set 20 as my absolute low threshold, heh. It'll be interesting to see how Sid and McDavid compare down the line. McDavid is more pure skill, while Sid is essentially the ultimate grinder.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2016, 01:23:46 PM »
Yeah I'd put Crosby in my 10. Just set 20 as my absolute low threshold, heh. It'll be interesting to see how Sid and McDavid compare down the line. McDavid is more pure skill, while Sid is essentially the ultimate grinder.

Yeah I've often said Sid is the best grinder ever, it's a description that fits him well, he is also a superstar that takes a lot of pride and care in doing all the little things right. Playing 200 feet, playing strong in the defensive zone, back-checking, etc...

McDavid strikes me more as that pure points guy. I'm also curious as to how quick he comes on and cements himself as the best in the league (if that happens).

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2016, 01:32:40 PM »

What the hell? I don't think you can call a player who can score 50 and 50 a grinder haha. Here's the wiki definition, and Crosby does not fit the bill:

"Grinder (ice hockey)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In ice hockey, a grinder is a player better known for his hard work and checking than his scoring.[1] A grinder is often a player who has limited offensive skills, but is valuable to a hockey team due to physical forechecking skills especially along the boards; for "grinding along the boards".[2] The grinder is not in the spotlight as would be the offensively skilled scoring stars, but they are often fan favorites due to their work effort in games.[3] Thus the grinder is often the player who, by their willingness to endure the physical abuse of going into the corners to dig out the puck, often sets up the goals (passing the puck) for the team's offensive stars. It is common belief in hockey that a good team needs a balance of scoring stars and grinders.[4]"

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2016, 02:21:01 PM »

What the hell? I don't think you can call a player who can score 50 and 50 a grinder haha. Here's the wiki definition, and Crosby does not fit the bill:

"Grinder (ice hockey)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In ice hockey, a grinder is a player better known for his hard work and checking than his scoring.[1] A grinder is often a player who has limited offensive skills, but is valuable to a hockey team due to physical forechecking skills especially along the boards; for "grinding along the boards".[2] The grinder is not in the spotlight as would be the offensively skilled scoring stars, but they are often fan favorites due to their work effort in games.[3] Thus the grinder is often the player who, by their willingness to endure the physical abuse of going into the corners to dig out the puck, often sets up the goals (passing the puck) for the team's offensive stars. It is common belief in hockey that a good team needs a balance of scoring stars and grinders.[4]"

My point is that lots of Crosby's greatness comes from how strong he is. He'll outwork the opposition, and he's so strong that he's almost impossible to knock off the puck. And he's insanely good at retrieving the puck in the dirty areas. All the chippy parts of the game are parts where Crosby shines the brightest. He has all the strengths of the ultimate grinder and channels it into offensive output.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »
The Blues/Wings OT is nuts!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2016, 09:06:27 PM »
Habs vs. Bolts was a very fun game. Very even play, a great defensive battle. Might be boring for some but it was gorgeous hockey. Glad we came out with the W. :)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2016, 06:53:44 AM »
My point is that lots of Crosby's greatness comes from how strong he is. He'll outwork the opposition, and he's so strong that he's almost impossible to knock off the puck. And he's insanely good at retrieving the puck in the dirty areas. All the chippy parts of the game are parts where Crosby shines the brightest. He has all the strengths of the ultimate grinder and channels it into offensive output.

Yup, this exactly. It's actually pretty common here in Pittsburgh for media members to refer to Sid as the greatest grinder ever, and he hates it!  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2016, 08:47:58 PM »
So Weber is off to the greatest start of his career. Encouraging to say the least. :lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
What an emotional victory for the Senators and Craig Anderson tonight in Edmonton
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2016, 11:29:01 PM »
I hate the Sens and like the Oilers, and even I was kinda pulling for them. What a win indeed. :'( Seeing Anderson celebrate Ryan's goal even was beautiful.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2016, 08:57:12 AM »
So Weber is off to the greatest start of his career. Encouraging to say the least. :lol

And it kept on going last game.

Meanwhile, in Nashville...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2016, 09:08:36 AM »
Always a good weekend when the Pens beat the Flyers  :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2016, 08:06:32 PM »

And it kept on going last game.

Meanwhile, in Nashville...
Nashville will find their chemistry, and besides they have an unsustainably low SH%. They'll finish near the top of their conference if Rinne can stop being so terrible. The beginning of the season is a weird time. :lol

My gripes with the trade aside, I'm glad Weber has managed to fit like a glove so quickly into the Habs lineup.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2016, 11:42:24 AM »
We'll take care of Condon for you, LieLow
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »

Seems like a weird trade to me. I thought the Sens were happy with Anderson and Hammond.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2016, 01:37:40 PM »
It's a weird situation in Ottawa right now.

Craig Anderson's wife was diagnosed with cancer and took a leave of absence from the team. Then Hammond got injured on Friday and we went with our other AHL goalie, Chris Dreidger. I don't think he's horrible, but not ready yet. Anderson came back on Sunday against the Oilers and posted a shutout and continues to be incredible under the circumstances. But with no timetable on Hammond coming back and Anderson leaving at any point to be with his wife, Condon offers us some assurance
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2016, 05:46:23 PM »
Yeah good trade for both teams. Ottawa gets some much needed help right now, and Pittsburgh gets a 5th round pick for a guy they paid nothing to acquire, and who knows, maybe theyll get lucky and that pick will turn into a roster player. And for Ottawa they will likely be able to trade Condon again once their goaltending situation is cleared up. If he plays well he could get them even more than the 5th rounder they traded him for.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »
I'm glad he can at least find work in the NHL still. :) Condon may have not been good in the season he played, but you can't blame him completely. He was thrust into a high pressure starter situation on a heavily injured and depleted team with one of the most rabid fanbases in hockey screaming at him. He definitely has the potential to be a solid backup, and I think he will be.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:39:10 PM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: November 03, 2016, 08:15:01 PM »
Way to go Condon! :D The Canucks have now been shut out 3 times in a row, 4 times in the last 5 games. :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2016, 10:17:29 PM »
I know it's still early in the season and a lot can change, but the Rangers look fantastic right now. If they keep playing like this, I may finally see a Stanley Cup come to New York.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2016, 06:50:30 PM »
W H A T I S G O I N G O N