Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 89912 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« on: July 26, 2016, 08:10:52 AM »
Old thread here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44052.0

I think it's time to start next year's discussion, especially with the World Cup coming up. Ready, and, go.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 08:59:32 AM by Hyperplex »
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 08:13:40 AM »
Old thred here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44052.0

I think it's time to start next year's discussion, especially with the World Cup coming up. Ready, and, go.

Oh man, serious question: who is planning on watching the fake Olympics of Hockey?  :lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
I'm not sure. I remember loving the tournament in 96 when the US upset Canada, but it also didn't seem to really mean much.
I'll probably watch it if it's on when I'm looking for something to chill through, but I don't think I'll have anything vested in it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 08:28:52 AM »
I'm not sure. I remember loving the tournament in 96 when the US upset Canada, but it also didn't seem to really mean much.
I'll probably watch it if it's on when I'm looking for something to chill through, but I don't think I'll have anything vested in it.

Yeah, I was kinda half-joking. I love hockey, so I'm sure I'll watch a little, but the whole thing just seems weird. Like why is there a team USA, a team Canada, and then a team North American? So weird...

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 08:34:35 AM »
None of it makes any sense really. I was under the impression that the Canada Cup arose out of the Summit Series of the 70s, and then somewhat evolved/got bastardized into the World Cup of Hockey, especially around the time the NHL started participating in the Olympics. Now, like the All-Star game, it seems more like a gimmick aimed more at attracting more fans than at putting on quality hockey.

And Team NA is a 50/50 mix of Americans and Canadians that supposedly can give world power teams a run for their money. I don't understand it, either, and it seems, for lack of a better word, silly.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:39:46 AM »
Oh yea it's silly for sure. Do you think the NHL is using the return of this tournament as a way to not allow NHL players to participate in the Olympics moving forward? I heard a couple rumors along those lines.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 08:44:09 AM »
Very possible. I honestly don't know what to think of any of the NHL's strategies anymore, so I try NOT to think about it entirely. :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 09:00:27 AM »
 :lol That's fair.

Just browsing the team Canada roster, holy crap look at their forwards:
Jamie Benn, Dallas Stars; Patrice Bergeron, Boston Bruins; Jeff Carter, Los Angeles Kings; Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh Penguins; Matt Duchene, Colorado Avalanche; Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim Ducks; Claude Giroux, Philadelphia Flyers; Brad Marchand, Boston Bruins; Tyler Seguin, Dallas Stars; Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning; John Tavares, New York Islanders; Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks; Joe Thornton, San Jose Sharks

That's a stacked line up if I've ever seen one.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 09:20:35 PM »
The Sens finally locked down Hoffman. I'm really happy about that. Now to lock Ceci down.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 08:49:21 PM »
I for one can't wait. I need some good hockey to come back. :metal

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 12:46:58 PM »
Colorado Avalanche....

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »
They'll rebound. Roy wasn't the face of the team, and they'll persevere.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 12:56:08 PM »
Preseason starts in like 6 weeks? What coaches are even options right now?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »
They'll figure something out. He threw them a hell of a curve, that's for damn sure, but it won't wreck their season.
He does have a flair for the dramatic, though.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2016, 07:02:58 PM »
Paul MacLean is open, Bob Hartley is open. There's a lot of great options
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 07:46:47 AM »
I don't think they'll bring Hartley back again, though you never know. I don't think they are in as much trouble as it seems. They are a strong franchise.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 07:57:35 AM »
All I've heard is that the Avs want to go outside the organization for the new coaching hire.

I'm sure they will find someone fitting.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 01:57:01 AM »
I'm really excited about the tourney.  I love best on best tournaments, and with the NHL likely pulling out of the Olympics, this will become the new top tier hockey tournament. Initially i didn't like the under 23 team concept,  but I've come around on it.  It's a bit of a gimmick, but it's better than blowout games against slovakia or Germany. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 06:34:56 AM »
I'm really excited about the tourney.  I love best on best tournaments, and with the NHL likely pulling out of the Olympics, this will become the new top tier hockey tournament. Initially i didn't like the under 23 team concept,  but I've come around on it.  It's a bit of a gimmick, but it's better than blowout games against slovakia or Germany.

Respectfully, I feel the exact opposite. This fake Olympics tournament was essentially made up by Gary to get an in with ESPN. What's the honor of winning a tournament like this? With weird teams like NA, I'll pass. Honestly, I was hoping some of the Pens involved would drop out. They just played over 100 games to win the cup, they could use the rest, especially with 19 of 20 skaters (from the finals) coming back, they could make another run at a cup next season. All this tournament will do is interfere with that.

I'd bet a couple months after this tournament is over, most people won't even remember who won.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 07:24:12 AM »
Yeah, I really don't have any interest. Other than watching hockey.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »

Respectfully, I feel the exact opposite. This fake Olympics tournament was essentially made up by Gary to get an in with ESPN. What's the honor of winning a tournament like this? With weird teams like NA, I'll pass. Honestly, I was hoping some of the Pens involved would drop out. They just played over 100 games to win the cup, they could use the rest, especially with 19 of 20 skaters (from the finals) coming back, they could make another run at a cup next season. All this tournament will do is interfere with that.

I'd bet a couple months after this tournament is over, most people won't even remember who won.

Really i just want to see a best on best tournament every 4 years. And that won't happen anymore once the NHL pulls out of the Olympics starting in Korea. The World Championships are a joke,  and the Olympics will be even worse.

I'll readily  admit that this tournament was spurred on by Bettman and the IIHFs desire to make money,  but it'll still be great hockey. It's like watching 8 all-star teams,  but the players actually care about the result.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 11:19:11 AM »
Oh I agree that if the NHL starts prohibiting players from the real Olympics, this will be the best tournament as far as talent. I just think watching the origins of this whole thing are hilarious and ridiculous.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 09:16:30 PM »
I'm still really excited for the World Cup, just because it's probably the closest we'll get to watching the best players play on a world stage anymore.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 01:58:44 AM »
Yeah, I really don't have any interest. Other than watching hockey.

I feel the same way.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2016, 07:39:22 AM »
Alex Pietrangelo was named the new Captain for the Blues yesterday. I like that a lot. I think he's earned it and is well respected in the locker room. Not exactly a 'physical' presence like Backes was but I think he'll be a good 'C'.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2016, 04:38:25 PM »
Alex Pietrangelo was named the new Captain for the Blues yesterday. I like that a lot. I think he's earned it and is well respected in the locker room. Not exactly a 'physical' presence like Backes was but I think he'll be a good 'C'.

Agreed.  I think many of us figured he was in line for the 'C' if Backes bolted.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 08:45:58 AM »
Possible names for the new Vegas team include the Nighthawks!  Kind of sounds like Blackhawks, but I still like it.  It reminds me of the Omaha Nighthawks of the old UFL.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 07:40:03 AM »
I cannot look at Bruce Boudreau and not think of the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man. Ever.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 05:49:16 PM »
WORLD CUP EXHIBITION GAME!

Canada down 2-0 relatively early on though. Burns and Pietrangelo playing like hot garbage, but other defensive lines doing great. Pricey still needs some time to get in his groove I reckon, but he hasn't looked bad.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 08:01:42 PM »
Very exciting game that leaves me pumped for the rest of the tournament. Price played about as you'd expect not seeing the ice in almost a year, and Quick was phenomenal. Canada did play a great game though (aside from the aforementioned Burns + Pietrangelo pairing and a few other players like Seguin).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 06:56:44 PM »
Chris Chelios....comb your fucking hair!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2016, 03:47:06 PM »
Way to go Team Europe! I half-expected them not to win a game and here they are in the finals. :D I probably wouldn't even be mad if they beat Canada, that'd be a glorious underdog story.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2016, 05:49:52 PM »
Way to go Team Europe! I half-expected them not to win a game and here they are in the finals. :D I probably wouldn't even be mad if they beat Canada, that'd be a glorious underdog story.
Don Cherry's head will explode.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »
Clarke MacArthur knocked out of the scrimmage today with another concussion. The team really went after Sieloff after he hit him into the boards. Clarke's future is in doubt and it's just so sad
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2016, 11:09:20 PM »
Yeah... I understand how hitting is part of his identity and he wants to prove himself as a prospect, but that kind of hit is just not something you pull in training camp, or at all. As for MacArthur, it might honestly be best for him to hang 'em up to be honest. It's really sad to see stuff like this, but it's looking like he may have a serious problem. :-\ Obviously I'm not a doctor though.