Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 90498 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #700 on: April 24, 2017, 11:18:47 AM »
Due to my superstition, I can't make a prediction on NYR-OTT, but I'm going to predict the other three series.

Pittsburgh over Washington
Edmonton over Anaheim
Nashville over St. Louis (sorry Gary and Kev)
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #701 on: April 24, 2017, 11:38:18 AM »

I agree. As much as I'd love the Blues to win, the Preds have looked great. I think the Blues can certainly beat them....but they would need to get their top players to step it up. Sounds like an obvious thing to say but it's true.

I do think each game will be close though. I can't see a 'blow out' game unless one team just craps the bed one game.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #702 on: April 24, 2017, 11:39:09 AM »
Due to my superstition, I can't make a prediction on NYR-OTT, but I'm going to predict the other three series.

Edmonton over Anaheim

I'm going to agree with your picks and also take the Rags over the Sens.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #703 on: April 24, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »
New York over Ottawa
Anaheim over Edmonton
St. Louis over Nashville

The only picks that I am really confident about are NY and Anaheim. The others are really tough to pick and could easily go either way. I'm really hoping that Washington can take care of Pittsburgh once and for all this year, but their play wasn't exactly inspiring in the first round.

I can't wait for the second round to start though, I wish we didn't have to wait until Wednesday  :facepalm:

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #704 on: April 25, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »

The only picks that I am really confident about are NY and Anaheim. The others are really tough to pick and could easily go either way. I'm really hoping that Washington can take care of Pittsburgh once and for all this year, but their play wasn't exactly inspiring in the first round.

As a life long Pens fan, I can honestly say that this Caps team is better than the Pens on paper going into this series. I just can't pick the Caps to win it though. It's got nothing to do with me being a Pens fan, it's honestly just the fact that this Caps team with Ovie has never made it past the second round, so I'm kinda in "I'll believe it when I see it" territory with them.

That being said, I'd have to think, with the Blackhawks and the Wild already gone in the West, that the winner of the Caps/Pens series probably will win the cup.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #705 on: April 25, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »

As a life long Pens fan, I can honestly say that this Caps team is better than the Pens on paper going into this series. I just can't pick the Caps to win it though. It's got nothing to do with me being a Pens fan, it's honestly just the fact that this Caps team with Ovie has never made it past the second round, so I'm kinda in "I'll believe it when I see it" territory with them.

That being said, I'd have to think, with the Blackhawks and the Wild already gone in the West, that the winner of the Caps/Pens series probably will win the cup.

I'm on the same page as you, I just can't pick the Capitals in a series against a loaded Penguins team, especially because of their history in the playoffs. I don't mean to hate on the Penguins, I just want some new to win this year. My team was trash again this year  :facepalm: (Colorado), so I don't really have a dog in the fight.

As for the West, something tells me Anaheim is the team no one in the East would want to face, and could give a team like the Penguins fits if they played. We'll see though, I am really looking forward to seeing how everything will unfold.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #706 on: April 26, 2017, 07:02:14 AM »
^I feel you the Ducks are good... missing Letang in this series might be too much for the Pens. In the Caps/Pens series last year he averaged like 31 minutes per game across the series and it was all quality time. Hard to replace that. They also basically tapped Letang over the boards anytime Ovie was on the ice, so we will have to see how the Pens d-core can handle things.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #707 on: April 26, 2017, 07:09:21 AM »
I believe the Caps will realize they've got to pick things up.  They got their scare with the Leafs, but know they can't take a single shift off with the Pens.  It'll likely go 6 or 7, but I think they'll pull it off.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #708 on: April 26, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »
I believe the Caps will realize they've got to pick things up.  They got their scare with the Leafs, but know they can't take a single shift off with the Pens.  It'll likely go 6 or 7, but I think they'll pull it off.

That's one way it could go, or the Caps could come out and play at the same level they did against the Leafs, which in that case, I'd pick the Pens to win in 6.

Either way, it's going to be a good series that will probably go 6 or 7 regardless of the winner.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #709 on: April 26, 2017, 08:20:55 AM »
I actually think Edmonton can,  and will,  beat the Ducks. If healthy,  the Ducks really only have the advantage on D, but Lindholm, Vatanen, and Fowler are all injured. Sure they may suit up for game 1 tonight,  but i think the SJ series just showed that you can't beat Edmonton with a depleted roster. And the Ducks SHOULD have swept Calgary. Even the Oil never lost to them this season.

Win or lose though,  i feel like I'm playing with house money. At the start of the season  I had my beloved oilers finishing about where LA and Winnepeg did.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #710 on: April 26, 2017, 12:08:29 PM »
Well, the satisfaction of watching the Hawks get swept didn't last very long for me. My brother in law lives in Nashville and is a Preds fan and he's sending me texts that read #Smashville non stop now.

Along with chiding me for the Blues not sweeping the Wild. If the Blues advance and play the Preds and lose.....i will literally never hear the end of it.

Are you and the brother in law betting anything on the series?  It should be a good series.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: April 26, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »
Well, the satisfaction of watching the Hawks get swept didn't last very long for me. My brother in law lives in Nashville and is a Preds fan and he's sending me texts that read #Smashville non stop now.

Along with chiding me for the Blues not sweeping the Wild. If the Blues advance and play the Preds and lose.....i will literally never hear the end of it.

Are you and the brother in law betting anything on the series?  It should be a good series.

Nothing as of yet. I thought about texting him some sort of bet....just can't think up a good one yet.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #712 on: April 26, 2017, 07:15:54 PM »
EVERYTHING SUCKS

GO CAPS GO

GO OILERS GO

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #713 on: April 26, 2017, 07:45:29 PM »
Well, this Blues game has been interesting. Maybe the Blues should stay out of the box
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #714 on: April 26, 2017, 07:54:22 PM »
Well, this Blues game has been interesting. Maybe the Blues should stay out of the box

Nah. They should go  :censored themselves so they know how those 19000 fans feel watching a bunch of  :censored sissies skate around instead of a team that has an interest in winning a hockey game.

Sure, Nashville is playing good but it's not friggin overwhelming great. Nothing to write home about anyway.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #715 on: April 26, 2017, 08:02:57 PM »
Nah. They should go  :censored themselves so they know how those 19000 fans feel watching a bunch of  :censored sissies skate around instead of a team that has an interest in winning a hockey game.

Sure, Nashville is playing good but it's not friggin overwhelming great. Nothing to write home about anyway.
I see this series going to 7, so it'll be a good one no matter what
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: April 26, 2017, 08:06:12 PM »

I see this series going to 7, so it'll be a good one no matter what

I thought maybe 7 was in the cards but If thats the effort youre bringing to game 1 then they'll be lucky to win 2 games.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #717 on: April 26, 2017, 08:08:12 PM »
How long have we been together on DTF? Every year Gary says..

Suckah! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: April 26, 2017, 08:10:03 PM »
 :rollin
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #719 on: April 26, 2017, 08:11:51 PM »
I see J-Boy lurking.

Chad..Austin Mathews is a special player. The future of the NHL is alive and well with a McDavid/Mathews rivalry. I predict a Leafs/Oilers finals within three years. Holy f'n Canada, Batman.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: April 26, 2017, 08:13:35 PM »

Can't argue that. Only this year I'm unloading the fury via text to Chad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #721 on: April 26, 2017, 08:14:51 PM »
Just remember, you are 4 losses away from the llama! :lol

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #722 on: April 26, 2017, 08:15:06 PM »
Don't forget about Eichel..  :lol

When you google Sabres GM or Sabres Coach, he pops up
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: April 26, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »

Can't argue that. Only this year I'm unloading the fury via text to Chad.

^ this I can verify. I'm absorbing his rage for you DTF.

@ Tim ... Auston Matthews / Connor McDavid could be this generation's version of Sid v Ovie. Connor is more of a playmaker; Auston more of the goal scorer. But yeah... The future is VERY bright for both franchises.

Riches is great, but not in the same league as McDavid/Matthews. They are in a class of their own. There are a ton of under-21 year olds that are going to keep the league exciting for many years.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #724 on: April 26, 2017, 08:28:47 PM »
Eichel is wasted in Buffalo. The kid is a stud.

Maybe if he played on a line with Gilbert Perrault......

(#11=TAC's second favorite player of all time!)

Though true, he's not in McDavid's or Matthew's class.

And Chad, Ovechkin hasn't won jack shit. He doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as Crosby. McDavid and Matthews will BOTH win Cups before Ovechkin sniffs one. That is, if he doesn't get there this year, he ain't getting there.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #725 on: April 26, 2017, 08:30:45 PM »
Agreed re Ovie. I was just talking about talent and individual capabilities. I certainly hope Matthews can bring a cup here.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #726 on: April 26, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »
IMO, Eichel is not very far beneath those two. If we are talking "tiers" then it's McDavid in one, and Eichel-Matthews in the next. If Eichel played with a Nylander/Draisaitl he would put up great numbers. Make no mistake though, all 3 are phenomenal players, and with the amount of under 23 studs in the NHL, the league is in great shape to transition from the Sid-Ovi-Toews era.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #727 on: April 26, 2017, 08:35:36 PM »
He is ridiculous.

Not sure if anyone saw any Bruins/Sens games, but the Bruins brought in Charlie McAvoy after 2 years at BU. He was fantastic in the series and really looked like a young Ray Bourque.

I mentioned Perreault and Bourque. Who is everyone's favorite players?
For me:
Mike Bossy
Gilbert Perreault
Ray Bourque

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #728 on: April 26, 2017, 08:38:41 PM »
There ya go gmillerdrake. Right back in it
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: April 26, 2017, 08:41:02 PM »
There ya go gmillerdrake. Right back in it

It's amazing what you can do when you stay out of the box.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: April 26, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »
@Jar ... Isn't that the point tho?  McDavid makes draisaitl a better player, as does Matthews with Nylander. To be a truly GREAT player, you need a figurative wingman - Gretz/Mess; Mario/Jagr; Sid/Malkin; Kane/Toews; the list goes on. The best have someone a) they make better and B) spreads the defensive coverage.

Fave players:
Hextall
Jagr
Oates
Neely
Yzerman
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:49:51 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #731 on: April 26, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »
Chad, I can appreciate the Neely pick. he was a beast when he played.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: April 26, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »
Yeah.... sucks his career was cut short.  He would've been as good / better than Bossy.

Blues have as many goals as the Hawks did all series.

Yikes... another softie.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #733 on: April 26, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
What have you done for me lately Jake Allen?

Answer: Given up three soft ass goals to lose Game 1....that's what

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #734 on: April 26, 2017, 09:06:24 PM »
@Jar ... Isn't that the point tho?  McDavid makes draisaitl a better player, as does Matthews with Nylander. To be a truly GREAT player, you need a figurative wingman - Gretz/Mess; Mario/Jagr; Sid/Malkin; Kane/Toews; the list goes on. The best have someone a) they make better and B) spreads the defensive coverage.

I hear ya, and agree with you, and not totally sure if you're for or against Eichel  :lol but, again IMO, Draisaitl and Nylander are young studs in their own right who are also capable of making those they play with better too (not knocking on McD or Matthews at all), whereas no other forward on Buffalo comes even close to that level.

My favorite players:
Crosby
Lemieux
Brodeur
Lindros
Pronger

And I'll put Lidstrom in their to make what would have been a terrifying line to play against  :lol