Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 90663 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #455 on: April 06, 2017, 07:51:18 AM »
Yea, my initial thought of the Rangers getting some bad seeding, as in they have more points but won't get seeded such a way, has ended up being very beneficial.  The penguins scare me the most of any team though.  The capitals should scare me, but they always choke, a lot of times to the Rangers, in the playoffs. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #456 on: April 06, 2017, 10:03:18 AM »
Two Eastern series are set:

Penguins will face Blue Jackets, Rangers to take on Canadiens in first round: https://www.nhl.com/news/two-eastern-conference-playoff-series-set/c-288480878?tid=287339198
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #457 on: April 06, 2017, 10:12:17 AM »
I *really* want to root for the Blue Jackets, as I really love their players, especially against the Pens, but I just cannot root for the biggest douchebag behind the bench to win. I suppose I'll root for them in round 1 and then switch around from there.

Really, just not sure who if anyone I'll really root for. I guess maybe Edmonton and Nashville, though I don't expect either to go deep.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: April 06, 2017, 10:35:46 AM »
Ooo our Dell rep at work has a suite ticket for me for the Rangers game 1.  It seems like I will have to sit through a 30 minute Dell presentation to get the ticket, but it also comes with free food and booze.  Hopefully this happens, still waiting to see.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #459 on: April 06, 2017, 01:07:12 PM »
EDM v SJ is basically a certainty too at this point.  I don't the Oil's odds in that one.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #460 on: April 06, 2017, 05:06:24 PM »
Oilers riding Talbot as hard as they did in the season can easily bite them these playoffs. Goalies who play as many games as he did almost never fare well in the post-season. That being said, there are question marks surrounding the Sharks as well. Should be interesting. I'm going Sharks in 6.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #461 on: April 06, 2017, 07:10:30 PM »
I'm pinning my prediction on that series on whether or not Thornton and Couture are good to go and playing near 100%. If they are, Sharks will take it, if not, Oilers have a chance.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #462 on: April 06, 2017, 09:16:48 PM »
Sens clinche; Leafs come out flat again.  Now we need just a single point against the Pens or Jackets.  Could be an anxious weekend - especially if the Habs sit Price.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #463 on: April 06, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
Oilers riding Talbot as hard as they did in the season can easily bite them these playoffs. Goalies who play as many games as he did almost never fare well in the post-season. That being said, there are question marks surrounding the Sharks as well. Should be interesting. I'm going Sharks in 6.

Agreed. It's been poor tender management from McLellan. And sadly, I'm also taking the sharks in 6. If they can squeeze 3 home playoff games out of this series I'll be happy. I share my season seats, and i drew home games 2 and 3, so they better get that far!

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #464 on: April 07, 2017, 08:35:41 PM »
Big win for TB tonightb to keep the pressure on in the East!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #465 on: April 08, 2017, 12:49:27 PM »
Arturri Lehkonen is going to grow into a great two-way forward methinks. I'm excited about him. Was definitely a good use of our second rounder. :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #466 on: April 08, 2017, 07:51:23 PM »
If Mike Babcock doesn't win the Adams this year, there is something very wrong.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #467 on: April 08, 2017, 09:16:43 PM »
Personally, I'd give it to Tortorella. Leafs are +26 points compared to last year, Jackets are +30 with more or less the exact same team, Leafs had the infusion of Matthews, Marner, (full season of) Nylander, healthy JVR, and an actual number one goalie. Couldn't go wrong with either Babcock or Torts, though.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: April 08, 2017, 10:06:00 PM »
Personally, I'd give it to Tortorella. Leafs are +26 points compared to last year, Jackets are +30 with more or less the exact same team, Leafs had the infusion of Matthews, Marner, (full season of) Nylander, healthy JVR, and an actual number one goalie. Couldn't go wrong with either Babcock or Torts, though.

Agreed.  Plus, the Jackets were in a way tougher division.

Edge of my seat all game.  After losing Anderson, and then when Pitt went up in the third, I was convinced that the Leafs were gonna lose their way out of the playoffs.  Now, if they can snatch a point tomorrow, they'll leap-frog the Bs, and avoid Washington.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #469 on: April 09, 2017, 02:20:37 AM »

As much as I hate Torts, it's hard to argue against him winning the Adams trophy.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #470 on: April 09, 2017, 05:58:13 AM »

Yeah, you make a great point. OK. Torts it is!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #471 on: April 09, 2017, 06:20:25 AM »

More or less had this argument with a friend last night regarding Chiarelli winning executive of the year for getting the oilers to the playoffs for the first time in a decade. No, no he didn't. If anything, Bill Daly got the oil to the playoffs when he pulled that golden oilers card from that envelope in 2015.

Babcock has done well with TO, but Matthews is the reason for the turn around. He should definitely be in the running, but Torts is more deserving of the win.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #472 on: April 09, 2017, 07:09:13 AM »
He won't win it, but Yeo should be in the conversation.

The Blues were floundering under Hitchcock at 24-21-5 and looking like they'd miss the playoffs, before he was fired and Yeo took over.  Yeo then posted a 21-8-2 record (with tonight's season ender today still to go) and they finished 3rd in the Central, which is always a strong division.  Him taking over was like flipping a switch. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #473 on: April 09, 2017, 07:57:39 AM »
I didn't realize the turnaround was that dramatic.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: April 09, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »
He won't win it, but Yeo should be in the conversation.

The Blues were floundering under Hitchcock at 24-21-5 and looking like they'd miss the playoffs, before he was fired and Yeo took over.  Yeo then posted a 21-8-2 record (with tonight's season ender today still to go) and they finished 3rd in the Central, which is always a strong division.  Him taking over was like flipping a switch.

Not too shabby, but when was the last time an Adams winner had less than 1/2 behind the bench of the team he won for?  Serious question.

I think Sullivan has a case, given the number of games lost to injury for Pitt, to finish 2nd in the league is damned impressive - regardless of the strength of their lineup.  There's a stat that suggests they lost 20 points in the standings due to their injuries.  Imagine that... they'd be 13 points ahead of Washington if they were as blessed as the Caps were at being healthy - Washington was far and away the "healthiest" team this year.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #475 on: April 09, 2017, 06:48:28 PM »
Jack Adams is just the "most improved team" award. Rarely goes to the best coach, or even really a great coach.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #476 on: April 09, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
Jack Adams is just the "most improved team" award. Rarely goes to the best coach, or even really a great coach.

Yeah, similar to most sports.

Lindy Ruff OUT as Stars coach.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #477 on: April 09, 2017, 09:08:21 PM »

Jake Allen is a good example.  With Elliot gone, Allen looked totally in over his head as the unquestioned number 1 when Hitchcock was still coach, but once he was gone and Yeo took over, it was literally like someone flipped a switch and he became this legit great number 1 goalie.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #478 on: April 09, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »

Jake Allen is a good example.  With Elliot gone, Allen looked totally in over his head as the unquestioned number 1 when Hitchcock was still coach, but once he was gone and Yeo took over, it was literally like someone flipped a switch and he became this legit great number 1 goalie.

Didn't they throw Brodeur at him, and say "make him good," too?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #479 on: April 09, 2017, 10:41:54 PM »

Didn't they throw Brodeur at him, and say "make him good," too?

He did help out Allen but the Blues players did not want to play for Hitchcock, period. It was a stuiped move on our GM's part to have a 'coach in the wings' in Yeo for next season already hired while giving Hitchcock one last shot. Hitchcocks shot was last year and it didn't happen, they should have never brought him back. His message was falling on deaf ears and it's my opinion the players tanked until he was fired. Hitchcock lost that team, or actually....never even had that teams attention. Once he was gone they turned a switch and it's been lights out. If not for a few back to back one goal losses where they played good but lost....they might be looking at only two or three losses under Yeo instead of the 8.

Yeo appears to have a great relationship with them all and has them playing very confidently. I love the underlying story of him facing the Wild in the first round.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: April 10, 2017, 05:46:58 AM »
Well, once again the Leafs snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.  I think the stat that was mentioned during the game is that they have blown 16 2-goal leads this season, losing 8 of those games.  I'm picking Washington in 3.  If the Leafs can't even beat depleted teams in TB and CBJ (and just scratching by the injury/rested Pens on the strength of a save-of-the-year contender against Sid), their chances against the Caps are slim to none.  And Slim just left town.

Predictions for the awards finalists

Hart - McD, Sid, Marchand
Adams - Torts, Babs, Gulutzan
Calder - Matthews, Laine, Marner
Vezina - Bobrovsky, Dubnyk, Talbot
Norris - Burns, Suter, Keith
Selke - Bergeron, ???  does anyone else matter?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #481 on: April 10, 2017, 07:34:09 PM »
Wow, Kings just cleaned house. Kinda predicrable, but damn.

Also my awards finalists

Hart: McDavid, Bobrovsky, Karlsson
Adams: Babcock, Tortorella, Trotz
Calder: Matthews, Laine, Werenski
Vezina: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Talbot
Norris: Hedman, Karlsson, Keith
Selke: Bergeron, Koivu, Kesler

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #482 on: April 10, 2017, 08:05:13 PM »
OK..

Adams: Torts, Babcock, Sullivan
Hart: McDavid, Matthews, Bobrovsky
Calder: Matthews, Laine, Marner
Norris: Burns, Hedman, Karlsson
Vezina: Holtby, Bobrovsky, Price
Selke: Duh! Bergeron recently won 25 straight faceoffs. the last 6 against Toewes and ALL of the next game against TB.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: April 10, 2017, 08:57:51 PM »
17-0 one night, then 12-3 the next. The dude is scary good. Best ever.  Better than Carboneau or Brind'Amour

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #484 on: April 10, 2017, 09:14:41 PM »
Bergeron, Gainey, Carbo are the top 3 defensive forwards of all time I'd say, no particular order. Either way Bergeron is the best defensive player in the league right now, at any position. Easily.

That being said, I think Koivu needs at least a nomination and I'd consider him the solid #2 Selke contender. I'd like to see Backlund get credit too, although I'd argue Kesler edges him out this season. Kesler's had a great season.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #485 on: April 10, 2017, 11:05:20 PM »
OK..

Adams: Torts, Babcock, Sullivan
Hart: McDavid, Matthews, Bobrovsky
Calder: Matthews, Laine, Marner
Norris: Burns, Hedman, Karlsson
Vezina: Holtby, Bobrovsky, Price
Selke: Duh! Bergeron recently won 25 straight faceoffs. the last 6 against Toewes and ALL of the next game against TB.

Talbot deserves a mention for the Vezina as well. He tied with Holtby for most wins this year after all.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #486 on: April 10, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »
Honestly it's Bobrovsky and then the rest IMO, he's very far ahead. Holtby and Talbot are runners up for me. Dubnyk and Price after them, their seasons overall were great but Price had a weak middle of the season and Dubnyk had a terrible late season. Dubnyk and Price had top tier peak performances though.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: April 11, 2017, 04:30:58 AM »
Bergeron, Gainey, Carbo are the top 3 defensive forwards of all time I'd say, no particular order. Either way Bergeron is the best defensive player in the league right now, at any position. Easily.

Agree... and to clarify, I was making the comparison to B'A and Carbo solely on faceoffs.  Bergeron is the best ever at faceoffs, and certainly the best defensive forward right now.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #488 on: April 11, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »
What first round match up are you guys looking forward to the most? Couple of good ones.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #489 on: April 11, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
The only team I care about in the playoffs are the Sharks. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.