Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 90730 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #420 on: April 04, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »
The whole "there's no other sport to watch" makes no sense... because the olympics are on.   I get the injury and money stuff though, that makes sense, but as a fan, we are all missing out of a true world competition for the sport (which has been very enjoyable to watch).  Oh well.

Except with the Olympics happening in Korea, the time difference prevents anyone in NA from conveniently watching anything live.

Yea but it's always on at prime time on NBC and their other stations for the less popular sports.  I totally get the reality of the situation, I just think it sucks overall for fans because Olympic hockey is wayyy more interesting and fun than mid season NHL. 

Anyway, my father had to cancel on our plans to go to the Rangers / Penguins final game Sunday night so I'm taking the gf.  I hope the teams are motivated to play the game, Im not sure there will be much reason to come Sunday night.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #421 on: April 04, 2017, 12:21:43 PM »
Yea but it's always on at prime time on NBC and their other stations for the less popular sports.  I totally get the reality of the situation, I just think it sucks overall for fans because Olympic hockey is wayyy more interesting and fun than mid season NHL. 

Anyway, my father had to cancel on our plans to go to the Rangers / Penguins final game Sunday night so I'm taking the gf.  I hope the teams are motivated to play the game, Im not sure there will be much reason to come Sunday night.

You are right, it's not great for fans that want to watch NHL players in the Olympics. I personally, am far, far more interested in the Pens than watching US hockey, but everyone's different. The point still is though, that for the NHL, this decision makes sense.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: April 04, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
Yea, I am not so much arguing from the leagues perspective, but more so from my own as a fan of hockey in general.  Olympic hockey has always been one of my favorite olympic sports to watch since I was a kid.  While I know they've played without the NHL players in the past, it's been longer than I can remember so it feels off to me, as a fan.  I am way more interested in the Rangers winning the Stanley Cup vs. team USA winning the gold, but it's not like the NHL ends, it just pauses for a moment so you could actually still have interest in both assuming no one gets injured, which is obviously a great point on reasons not to play.  Whatever, I'll just be bummed about it since there's nothing I can do. 

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #423 on: April 04, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
I disagree with the idea that there are many reasons to loathe Bettman. His influence compared to that of the owners who he represents is negligible. They are the ones telling him to go on a podium and say "we aren't going." Sure he advises them legally, that's his job, but the onus for this and the lockouts and everything lies with the owners and the players association to a certain degree.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #424 on: April 04, 2017, 12:49:31 PM »
The problem with the pausing is that it crushes the schedule, throws many players into a wearying travel mode, especially when going to the other side of the globe, and can create susceptibility to injury that might be lessened if the original schedule had remained in place. 4 major players suffered season-ending injuries in the Sochi games. It's a risk I think the NHL is wise to avoid taking.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #425 on: April 04, 2017, 01:24:31 PM »
The problem with the pausing is that it crushes the schedule, throws many players into a wearying travel mode, especially when going to the other side of the globe, and can create susceptibility to injury that might be lessened if the original schedule had remained in place. 4 major players suffered season-ending injuries in the Sochi games. It's a risk I think the NHL is wise to avoid taking.

Absolutely.

I disagree with the idea that there are many reasons to loathe Bettman. His influence compared to that of the owners who he represents is negligible. They are the ones telling him to go on a podium and say "we aren't going." Sure he advises them legally, that's his job, but the onus for this and the lockouts and everything lies with the owners and the players association to a certain degree.

I think there are reasons to disagree with Bettman on a lot of stuff, and I think it's reasonable to hold him accountable as such. This isn't one of those times. I think he (and the owners for that matter) are acting in the best interest of the NHL here, which is what they should do. Fine by me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #426 on: April 04, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »

And I too hate Bettman with all the passion that NE football fans have for Goodell.

Why? He hand delivered Matthews for you.

#fakedraftlottery

Personally I hate the NHL players in the Olympics. Always have. And then add on the Worlds Championships on top of that and...who f'n cares? I don't. I hate the Olympic break in the middle of the season.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #427 on: April 04, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »

And I too hate Bettman with all the passion that NE football fans have for Goodell.

Why? He hand delivered Matthews for you.

Pfffft.  Whatever.  If that's the case, then it was only to make up for ripping McDavid out of our hands the previous draft.

Serious question though Tim, why the hate for best-on-best hockey?

Agree completely on the injury risk for the owners and league.  Weren't there like 4 significant injuries during the World Cup in the fall?  Benn, Seguin, Ekblad I remember.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #428 on: April 04, 2017, 04:17:25 PM »

I don't know. Professionals playing in the Olympics doesn't interest me in the slightest. I liked the amateur format much better. I really don't have a good answer. Seems cheesy to me for some reason.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #429 on: April 04, 2017, 04:21:11 PM »
I agree with Tim.  I don't like seeing the pros in Olympic games.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #430 on: April 04, 2017, 05:31:22 PM »
I'm a best on best guy myself,  so i'd rather see the NHLers go. I already mentally prepared myself for this though. The World Cup, to me, was a clear sign that the NHL was moving toward this decision. That's the new best in best tourney.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #431 on: April 04, 2017, 05:32:27 PM »
Olympic hockey is awesome with or without the pros, if you ask me.  All of this "they have a chance to make the league bigger" talk is crazy.  As much as I love hockey, it's not for everybody.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: April 04, 2017, 05:55:09 PM »

I don't know. Professionals playing in the Olympics doesn't interest me in the slightest. I liked the amateur format much better. I really don't have a good answer. Seems cheesy to me for some reason.

I hear ya... but it's been since Lillehammer since the pros haven't been there - so I remember more Olympic Games with NHL'rs than I do without them.  I'm with Schecter - there aren't that many opportunities to see best on best, so I'll take every chance to get it.  Though, I do understand the appeal of amateurs/juniors.

I assume you're the same about basketball/summer Olympics?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #433 on: April 04, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
Oh without question. Even more so. Like Carmelo Anthony winning a Gold Medal is some awesome thing? Who gives a shit?!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #434 on: April 04, 2017, 08:52:48 PM »
The other issue i see is that it's not like it'll go to an amateur tournament either without the NHL players . It'll still be pros from Europe and the KHL,  so we basically  end up with the spengler cup. And if you're asking yourself what the hell that is, then you understand the need for NHL involvement in the Olympics.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #435 on: April 05, 2017, 12:05:34 AM »

Also - Ovie has already been quoted saying the NHL's decision "doesn't matter" and that he will still go... Will the Caps back him on that? This will be really interesting...
Leonsis has publically said that he will let Ovechkin or anyone else go no matter what the verdict is. Question is whether the league will forbid the players. If so, I could see Ovechkin or some other great Russians leaving the NHL for good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: April 05, 2017, 06:21:51 AM »
It's hard to compare Olympic basketball/NBA to Olympic hockey/NHL.  Hockey is way more competitive around the world, well specifically in northern Europe, Russia, and NA.  But still, basketball is not even close internationally to the US on a competition level compared to basketball. 

At the same time, I love the dream teams of the past and watching the US just dismantle the rest of the world is somewhat fun.

If they just wanted to make all olympic games an amateur event, then so be it.  But that's not the case, so I think it takes away a bit when we aren't, as fans, getting to see the best athletes in the world competing.

This is similar to the World Baseball Classic that just finished before the MLB season started.  There's always lots of talk about why teams would let their players play in that, but it's for the sport and your country at the end of the day.  People want to see the best players representing their countries and a lot of the players want to play for their countries.

As for Ovie, it'll be interesting if he and others opt to play anyway and how the league reacts.  The NHL likely made the right decision regarding their own product (essentially protecting their investment in the players).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: April 05, 2017, 07:10:11 AM »
If they just wanted to make all olympic games an amateur event, then so be it.  But that's not the case, so I think it takes away a bit when we aren't, as fans, getting to see the best athletes in the world competing.

This.  There are so many sports/teams where there is no distinction between amateur and professional or there is no such thing as a "professional".  What's a "professional" sprinter?  You think Bolt or Phelps were "amateur"?  Those volleyball teams ... you don't think they're professionals?  I think the Olympics should be a showcase for the best athletes in their discipline.  Period.  And Schecter nailed it - the other global leagues will likely be ok with their players participating.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #438 on: April 05, 2017, 07:17:28 AM »

Also - Ovie has already been quoted saying the NHL's decision "doesn't matter" and that he will still go... Will the Caps back him on that? This will be really interesting...
Leonsis has publically said that he will let Ovechkin or anyone else go no matter what the verdict is. Question is whether the league will forbid the players. If so, I could see Ovechkin or some other great Russians leaving the NHL for good.

Couple of thoughts on that - (1) Leonsis can let him go if he wants, but if I was a fan or ticket holder of the Caps, that would anger me, seriously, I'd want my team's best player playing for my team. (2) The league is what I am more curious about. Even if an owner would let his player go, the league clearly will not like it, I'm not 100% sure what they could do about it though. (3) If Ovie or any other player (mostly the Russians) would leave the NHL (and the NHL pay-day) to go back to Russia over this, good riddance, good luck in Russia.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: April 05, 2017, 08:40:16 AM »
If the Caps win the cup this year, other than contractual obligations, what more does Ovie have to "prove" in the NHL?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #440 on: April 05, 2017, 09:27:58 AM »
If the Caps win the cup this year, other than contractual obligations, what more does Ovie have to "prove" in the NHL?

Sounds like a parallel universe.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #441 on: April 05, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
Pressure from the Russian Mafia?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #442 on: April 05, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »

Not sure he has anything to "prove". I mean he hasn't won a cup, that's the big thing. You can't assume the Caps will win it this year, basically until they do, their recent years of great regular seasons only to underachieve in the playoffs are far to telling to assume anything until they do it.

All I'm saying is that the NHL is best hockey league in the world. Players of the highest skill play in it. If Ovie and others want to leave the NHL due in part to this Olympic thing, I think that's silly but more power to them. Go for it.

Also - I think Ovie is under contract with the Caps for like another 5 seasons after this one, or something like that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: April 05, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »
I just didn't know if there was any basis for the comment of him going back to play in Russia for good.  I don't think anyone would leave the NHL just to play in one Olympic Games - especially in Seoul.  If this was the scenario 4 years ago, then I could see maybe some Russians doing that to play in Socchi.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #444 on: April 05, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »
I just didn't know if there was any basis for the comment of him going back to play in Russia for good.  I don't think anyone would leave the NHL just to play in one Olympic Games - especially in Seoul.  If this was the scenario 4 years ago, then I could see maybe some Russians doing that to play in Socchi.

Basically just speculation. Depends on how much both sides (Ovie and the league) would want to dig their heels in to hold their respective positions. Like you said, if Ovie feels that strongly about playing at the Olympics and he feels like he's got nothing left to prove, maybe he'd bail to go tear up the KHL and play for mother Russia every couple years in international play.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #445 on: April 05, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »

Olympics are a very VERY big deal to Russians. Ovi himself has said Olympic gold means more to him than a Stanley Cup.  Just cultural difference.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #446 on: April 05, 2017, 01:06:06 PM »

Olympics are a very VERY big deal to Russians. Ovi himself has said Olympic gold means more to him than a Stanley Cup.  Just cultural difference.

It's so interesting because back in the 90s as the Red Wings were reaching their peak, so much was made of the myriad Russians on the team simply not caring about the Cup and really only desiring World Championships and Olympic medals, only to show that they really did care a great deal about winning the Cup. I'm surprised Ovechkin would say that given the ones that came before him.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #447 on: April 05, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #448 on: April 05, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
Yeah I saw that earlier today.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #449 on: April 05, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »
I truly believe Letang is the least replaceable Penguin. Not the best, but the least replaceable. If Sid goes down, you got Geno. No one else on this team can do what Letang does, that's a huge lose for us moving into the post season.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #450 on: April 05, 2017, 02:24:12 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: April 05, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »
Dear lord, Letang out - Pens road just got a LOT harder...

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19084163/pittsburgh-penguins-kris-letang-neck-surgery-4-6-months

:omg:

That is a HUGE blow.

Sure is.  I would never root for an injury, but this does help chances for my Rangers to make a run in the playoffs. (which I don't expect them to)

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #452 on: April 05, 2017, 10:52:42 PM »
Dear lord, Letang out - Pens road just got a LOT harder...

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19084163/pittsburgh-penguins-kris-letang-neck-surgery-4-6-months

:omg:

That is a HUGE blow.

Sure is.  I would never root for an injury, but this does help chances for my Rangers to make a run in the playoffs. (which I don't expect them to)

The Rangers are locked into the first wildcard spot which means they play the Atlantic Division for the first two rounds instead of the much tougher Metropolitan Division. You figure that if Washington chokes in the first or second round like they always do and Columbus takes care of a Letang-less Penguins team in the first round, that means if the Rangers can get past Montreal and either Ottawa or Boston, they'll take on either Columbus or Toronto in the Eastern Conference Finals, which is much easier than Washington or Pittsburgh. The Rangers have an easier road to the Stanley Cup Finals then it looked like they would. Now here's hoping that they can capitalize on that, because the only team in the West that scares me in a seven game series is Chicago. If they get upset in any one of the first three rounds, we have a legitimate chance at a championship.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #453 on: April 06, 2017, 01:15:29 AM »
Pittsburgh's record is actually a bit better this year without Letang than it is with him in the lineup. I wouldn't write them off simply because he's not playing. The reason he used to be so irreplaceable is because they had no other dmen that could move the puck. Now they have Schultz, Daley, and Streit to do that in Letang 's absence. The penguins play strong team defence, so of course it hurts losing him, but it's not crippling like it would have been even last year.

It's still going to be Chicago vs. Washington/Pittsburgh in the final.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: April 06, 2017, 07:00:28 AM »
I'll agree that - this year - being the Metro WC is highly beneficial for the Rags.