Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 90538 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #385 on: March 21, 2017, 07:34:20 PM »
Stealing one from Chicago?  We just beat them in the playoffs last year and always play them tough.  If the Blues get matched up with them in the first round, them winning any game won't be "stealing one."

That said, I am still hopeful the Blues snag 3rd in the division and to play the Wild, who aren't play well lately, in the first round.

Yep. Plus the whole Yeo storyline with the Wild would be cool. And I agree....Chicago is certainly playing unreal but the Blues have played them great this year and of course beat them last year. I'd bet it'd be another 7 game series decided by the slimmest of margins
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #386 on: March 21, 2017, 07:46:11 PM »
Also,  I'm really looking forward to the Chicago/Pittsburgh final this year.  Nobody in the west is touching the Hawks. The east has a few more dominant teams, but i can't imagine Pittsburgh losing to the jackets in a series. Ever.

I could see Columbus or New York upsetting Pittsburgh, and could see St. Louis stealing one from Chicago.

I just can't see Columbus beating any of the other top east teams. The Rangers,  however,  could win the east. It's just going to be tough going through the pens. I don't put much stock into the caps either,  although Shattenkirk certainly improves their chances.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #387 on: March 21, 2017, 09:10:42 PM »
I'm just looking forward to some great playoff hockey.....from all teams.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #388 on: March 21, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »
I'm just looking forward to some great playoff hockey.....from all teams.

Yep.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: March 22, 2017, 05:32:13 AM »
The annual Boston Bruins Playoff Position Collapse is officially under way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #390 on: March 22, 2017, 06:39:46 AM »
The annual Boston Bruins Playoff Position Collapse is officially under way.

Yeah... it sure would be nice to weasel our way into 3rd in the Atlantic, and not have to worry about the contention over the 8th spot.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: March 22, 2017, 06:41:02 AM »
I think the 3rd spot is yours.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: March 22, 2017, 06:45:50 AM »
I think the 3rd spot is yours.

So long as we beat who we're supposed to beat (Buf/Det/NJ), there's a decent chance.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #393 on: March 22, 2017, 06:51:10 AM »
Those are three cream puffs.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #394 on: March 22, 2017, 07:29:14 AM »
Also,  I'm really looking forward to the Chicago/Pittsburgh final this year.  Nobody in the west is touching the Hawks. The east has a few more dominant teams, but i can't imagine Pittsburgh losing to the jackets in a series. Ever.

I could see Columbus or New York upsetting Pittsburgh, and could see St. Louis stealing one from Chicago.

I just can't see Columbus beating any of the other top east teams. The Rangers,  however,  could win the east. It's just going to be tough going through the pens. I don't put much stock into the caps either,  although Shattenkirk certainly improves their chances.

As a Pens fan, the jackets scare me more than the rags. The endless cheap shots have something to do with it...

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #395 on: March 22, 2017, 12:21:41 PM »

As a Pens fan, the jackets scare me more than the rags. The endless cheap shots have something to do with it...

Yeah I'd be a little scared about Dubinsky taking a run at Sid. Some serious hated between those two.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #396 on: March 22, 2017, 12:32:48 PM »
Yeah I'd be a little scared about Dubinsky taking a run at Sid. Some serious hated between those two.

Yup that's pretty much it. Dubinsky seems to enjoy cross checking Sid in the back of the neck every time we play. It's great.  :sad:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #397 on: March 28, 2017, 10:16:33 PM »
Feels nice seeing that little 'x' next to the Oil in the standings. It's been a long 10 years.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: March 28, 2017, 10:25:04 PM »
Agreed.  You guys finally got your shit together.  Here's hoping the boys in blue will be shortly behind you.  I think both teams have a bright and long future ahead of them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #399 on: March 29, 2017, 05:53:47 AM »
I can't get over how ridiculously awesome McDavid is. Matthews too.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #400 on: March 29, 2017, 06:46:02 AM »
I think now that the official hammer has come down and Detroit has been eliminated from playoff contention, we might actually see some offseason urgency or perhaps a strategic shift. This has been coming for years, so this should be a real wakeup call to management that adjustments need to be made, especially if they want to avoid a total rebuilding phase.

Still, can't help but feel some pride looking back on a quarter century of making the playoffs, 4 cups, multiple President's Trophies. I love this team and organization and I hope they can keep up the high standard they've held, especially now in Mike Ilitch's memory.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline romdrums

« Reply #401 on: March 29, 2017, 07:09:32 AM »
I think now that the official hammer has come down and Detroit has been eliminated from playoff contention, we might actually see some offseason urgency or perhaps a strategic shift. This has been coming for years, so this should be a real wakeup call to management that adjustments need to be made, especially if they want to avoid a total rebuilding phase.

Still, can't help but feel some pride looking back on a quarter century of making the playoffs, 4 cups, multiple President's Trophies. I love this team and organization and I hope they can keep up the high standard they've held, especially now in Mike Ilitch's memory.

We can hope.  I really, really hope someone knocks some sense into Ken Holland before the expansion draft and he decides to leave Darren Helm and Riley Sheahan exposed.  Same with Jonathan Ericsson and Niklas Kronwall.  Hell, I'd even leave Abdelkader exposed. 

That said, that streak was something to behold.  They were able to keep it going across 3 lockouts, 3 different styles of play, expansion, and the implementation of the salary cap.  I think they would have won at least 2 more cups if Vladimir Konstantinov hadn't been hurt in that car accident after the 1997 Cup finals, and if Jiri Fischer hadn't had his career ended by his heart issues.  Truly an impressive run.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: March 29, 2017, 07:32:34 AM »

The thing that most impresses about Matthews is how good of a 2-way player he is/has become.  Despite being 1/2 a step off of perfect coverage on Florida's first goal last night, more often than not, he's providing solid/excellent defensive coverage.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #403 on: March 29, 2017, 10:26:51 AM »

The thing that most impresses about Matthews is how good of a 2-way player he is/has become.  Despite being 1/2 a step off of perfect coverage on Florida's first goal last night, more often than not, he's providing solid/excellent defensive coverage.

I've had the chance to watch Matthews a little more than McDavid (those west coast starts are a bit late for me these days) and I agree, Matthews 2-way play has really impressed. The kid is way more than a scorer, he's a complete player.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #404 on: March 29, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »

I've had the chance to watch Matthews a little more than McDavid (those west coast starts are a bit late for me these days) and I agree, Matthews 2-way play has really impressed. The kid is way more than a scorer, he's a complete player.

Agreed.  Between Matthews and Laine, they're like a budget version of Crosby and Ovechkin. Laine is more of a pure goal scorer,  whereas Matthews is a well rounded player. I didn't expect Matthews to put up 40 this year though. Don't get me wrong,  i despise the Leafs, but it'd be nice to have a rookie score 40 so I'm rooting for the kid.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #405 on: March 29, 2017, 11:27:49 AM »
Agreed.

I fully get that all the hype has been about McDavid, and don't get me wrong, he seems like he's going to be amazing for years to come. But Matthews has really caught my eye as well, reminds me exactly of a younger Sid.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #406 on: March 29, 2017, 11:27:57 AM »
In Boston, we have David Pastrynak, who is still only 20. The kid is ridiculous.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: March 29, 2017, 11:37:11 AM »
All in all, there's a healthy crop of young players in the league.  Gonna be fun to watch for quite a few years. 

Interesting stat... Leaf Rookies are almost 50/50 in team goals and total team points vs the non-rookies.  If not for Laine, there could've been a serious possibility that the Leafs would have all three Calder finalists in Matthews (who just broke Wendel Clark's rookie goal-scoring record), Marner (who's 1 assist from breaking the Leaf rookie assist record), and Nylander (in the midst of a 12 game point streak at the moment).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: March 31, 2017, 06:58:02 AM »
Man... everyone in the East WC hunt brought it last night - well, except for the Isles.  Geez, 5-0 after 1 period.  That's gotta be a good swift kick in the pills, and demoralize your hopes.  And Carolina is making a nice run.

I totally had no thought that the Leafs would be able to grab 4 points from the Jackets AND the Preds.  That was an added bonus, and now puts home-ice advantage for round 1 within grasp.  Ottawa has a slightly softer schedule, but it's a distinct possibility now - so long as they can put down Detroit and Buffalo on the road.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #409 on: March 31, 2017, 07:29:49 AM »
Pens struggling as of late, gotta get some injured guys back before the playoffs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #410 on: April 02, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »
Watching the Bruins/Blackhawks game this afternoon, and I have the same three thoughts every time the B's play the Hawks.
1. Jim Cornelison  :omg: :hefdaddy
2. I can't believe Hossa is still playing at this high of a level.
3. Does Duncan Keith play the entire game??

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #411 on: April 02, 2017, 03:00:52 PM »
Habs are flying into the playoffs. Best record in the league since Feb 25th. I'm still skeptical of a lot of things but we look great right now.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #412 on: April 04, 2017, 10:54:29 AM »
NHL not participating in the Olympics. I'm fine with this.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-not-participate-in-2018-winter-olympics/c-288385598
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #413 on: April 04, 2017, 11:00:16 AM »
NHL not participating in the Olympics. I'm fine with this.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-not-participate-in-2018-winter-olympics/c-288385598

Me too. There is no PRO for the NHL to have the players participate, and there are several tangible CONS.

I'm cool with it, and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: April 04, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »
Im not cool with it.  Olympic hockey is awesome and puts the NHL in front of a bigger audience essentially.  Another reason to dislike Bettman. 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #415 on: April 04, 2017, 11:08:42 AM »
Maybe, but you have to factor in the Olympic's refusal to front the costs to the NHL this year after doing so the past 5 Olympics, the compressed schedule and how that affects teams and players with regard to fatigue and injury, and the fact that the Olympic break occurs when the only other major sport in NA that isn't in its offseason is basketball. The cons far outweight the pros, regardless of the NHLPA's disappointment.

I loathe Gary Bettman, but this decision does not bother me. If anything it strengthens the NHL by not risking massive injury to stars.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: April 04, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »
The whole "there's no other sport to watch" makes no sense... because the olympics are on.   I get the injury and money stuff though, that makes sense, but as a fan, we are all missing out of a true world competition for the sport (which has been very enjoyable to watch).  Oh well.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: April 04, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
Maybe, but you have to factor in the Olympic's refusal to front the costs to the NHL this year after doing so the past 5 Olympics, the compressed schedule and how that affects teams and players with regard to fatigue and injury, and the fact that the Olympic break occurs when the only other major sport in NA that isn't in its offseason is basketball. The cons far outweight the pros, regardless of the NHLPA's disappointment.

I loathe Gary Bettman, but this decision does not bother me. If anything it strengthens the NHL by not risking massive injury to stars.

:iagree:

While I love seeing best-on-best international hockey, Korea just doesn't have any real PRO's for the sport.  There's some for the players (medals, pride) and fans (seeing best-on-best)... but for the league and owners, there is nothing gained.  And the IOC sure didn't do much to show they cared about having the best players on their stage.

And I too hate Bettman with all the passion that NE football fans have for Goodell.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #418 on: April 04, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
The whole "there's no other sport to watch" makes no sense... because the olympics are on.   I get the injury and money stuff though, that makes sense, but as a fan, we are all missing out of a true world competition for the sport (which has been very enjoyable to watch).  Oh well.

Except with the Olympics happening in Korea, the time difference prevents anyone in NA from conveniently watching anything live.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #419 on: April 04, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »
Im not cool with it.  Olympic hockey is awesome and puts the NHL in front of a bigger audience essentially.  Another reason to dislike Bettman.

There are a lot of reasons to dislike Bettman, this isn't one of them. The NHL has not tangibly grown in the U.S. due to their involvement in the Olympics, that's the primary market, so if it really isn't growing your primary market, don't bend over backwards for it.

Bingo.

Also - Ovie has already been quoted saying the NHL's decision "doesn't matter" and that he will still go... Will the Caps back him on that? This will be really interesting...