Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 89933 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #280 on: February 01, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
Any Red Wings fans in here?  I don't see them getting much, if any, mention in this thread.  Not that their play this year is worth mentioning, other than they've been a tire fire for much of the year.  Personally, I hope the wheels continue to fall off to the point they have to fire Blashill and Holland and bring some new ideas into the organization.  Tired of seeing this team ruin young skaters and lean on past-their-prime veterans.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #281 on: February 01, 2017, 10:57:13 AM »
Long time Wings fan, admittedly haven't followed hockey in detail for many years. This is the year the rebuild starts, and I knew it was coming. I had hoped last year that Blashill might have been the shot in the arm the team needed to get back over that hump but it isn't the case. At this point, I don't think he is the issue. They need to iron a tremendous number of wrinkles out and perhaps one of them is getting a new GM. Holland has been masterful maintaining the huge run of success but I think it might be time to move on. Once the playoff streak ends, and it will this year, there will be more talk of retooling, especially with a new arena to fill. I certainly don't have the answers to what they need, though I still think Mike Green was a flawed purchase. One thing they never did was properly fill the whole left by Lidstrom. So I think a proper top tier defenseman would be a wise investment.

Like you said, this season has been a disaster, so I really think they need to go back and work on their future blueprint. The playoff streak will end and they'll have to move up from there. There hasn't really been too much else to comment on. Every hear and there a good game or a big win surfaces, but it's been mostly falling short all year. Dead last on the PP is never a recipe for success.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #282 on: February 05, 2017, 04:47:54 PM »
Did anyone else see the outtakes to a commercial Brent Burns and Joe Thornton filmed for a commercial for the team? I thought this was hilarious and I love how they get along. Bunch of little kids  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8BuWkpQtQc
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: February 06, 2017, 05:17:12 PM »
Red Wings:  a point out of last place for a change, yet only five points out of the playoffs.  So, there still is hope.  Datsyuk's retirement really hurt, but they were only going to go as far as the past few seasons if he was still with the team.

Going to DC to see them against the Caps on Thursday, as part of our now annual pilgrimage (even though they are 0-7 on our visits).  But, I tell ya, to be one of many thousands in a Red Wings outfit, as well as just how absolutely friendly Caps' fans have been to us at every single game, makes for such a memorable evening (win or lose).  Makes me somewhat 'feel at home'.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 06:46:43 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: February 06, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »
Caps are looking great! However it is the regular season, so nothing new there!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #285 on: February 06, 2017, 05:43:05 PM »
I'll be rooting for the Caps and Sharks in the playoffs should we go down!

Habs have me feeling pessimistic this year. They just aren't looking good against the good teams. When they play lesser teams, they make it very clear they are on a level above, but against those good teams they just fall flat.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: February 06, 2017, 06:51:36 PM »

And that is SO irritating to me!  I really want them to get to at least the Eastern finals for a change, just because it would give me an excuse to talk hockey AND have it matter around here.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #287 on: February 07, 2017, 06:53:44 AM »

:lol Looks like they are gunning for another Presidents trophy! They have a great team, but honestly until they make a run I doubt they have what it takes to actually make a run. I'll believe it when I see it.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: February 07, 2017, 11:12:26 AM »
Coaching change for the Bruins. Interesting to see how it will play out.

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #289 on: February 07, 2017, 01:05:28 PM »
g
Coaching change for the Bruins. Interesting to see how it will play out.

The organization is being blasted (and justifiably in my opinion) for burying the announcement and press conference on the day of the Super Bowl parade. Could've waited to see how the season plays out but maybe this means the Bruins are sellers and will start revamping the team. I never hated Claude like most people in Boston. The guy helped make us a contender again after that dreadful season with Dave Lewis and brought us a championship as well as another appearance in the finals. Someone will snatch him up, maybe even before the season is over, and he'll help them out.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #290 on: February 07, 2017, 01:23:42 PM »
As much as I like Claude, the team needs a shake up.  They will not make the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.  What management wants which is a smaller, up tempo team (They've failed at putting the team together) doesn't mesh with Claude's philosophy of play.

Tough to watch really and I agree on the chicken shit timing of the firing.  We all knew it was coming.  The front office went silent.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #291 on: February 07, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »
As much as I like Claude, the team needs a shake up.  They will not make the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.  What management wants which is a smaller, up tempo team (They've failed at putting the team together) doesn't mesh with Claude's philosophy of play.

Tough to watch really and I agree on the chicken shit timing of the firing.  We all knew it was coming.  The front office went silent.

I hear Hitchcock may be looking for a job  :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #292 on: February 07, 2017, 01:34:47 PM »

All NHL teams want to be smaller, faster, and more skilled right now, it's the copy cat nature of the league. Gotta work with what you have though. It made sense for the Pens last year because they were already fast and skilled, so they made a couple moves to maximize what was already there. On paper, I'd say the Bs are far from that and that isn't on Claude.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: February 07, 2017, 01:44:33 PM »
I'm not saying it is Claude's fault.  I blame Neely and Sweeney for this mess but his style is not what they are trying to do and when the players do not respond this is always the outcome.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: February 07, 2017, 01:45:02 PM »

I hear Hitchcock may be looking for a job  :lol

:lol

Same mold......

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #295 on: February 07, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
I'm not saying it is Claude's fault.  I blame Neely and Sweeney for this mess but his style is not what they are trying to do and when the players do not respond this is always the outcome.

Oh yea, I was kinda agreeing with you in a weird way  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: February 07, 2017, 02:13:52 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #297 on: February 07, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »
Gonna miss you, Claude. Thanks for the memories!

:hefdaddy

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: February 11, 2017, 12:11:07 PM »
RIP, Mike Ilitch.....seems I went to the last Red Wing game that he was alive.  For all you did for the Red Wings (and Tigers, and city of Detroit).

Lost in the shuffle of all the trivial sports talk these days. 

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #299 on: February 11, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »
SportCentre here in Canada did a nice piece on Ilitch in last night's broadcast.  Well deserved of his spot in the HoF.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: February 12, 2017, 07:58:47 PM »
Bleh, Habs are getting swept in the first round unless a drastic change is made. And it's becoming more and more obvious that Weber for Subban made the team worse. Now, and in the future.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #301 on: February 12, 2017, 08:01:21 PM »
It'll be an interesting bye week for you guys. Maybe the Sens will tie for first   ;)

Doubtful, but I can dream
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #302 on: February 12, 2017, 08:17:55 PM »
We need this bye week so bad. The team is downright terrible right now. If they don't regroup after the bye or make a big splash at the deadline even making the playoffs will be a giant uncertainty.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #303 on: February 12, 2017, 10:35:27 PM »
I consider myself a Habs "supporter." I myself am a Pens fan but my whole family is Habs fans. I've gotten into many arguments with my boss and his brother who are diehard Habs fans over this, but I don't think they are a very good team outside of Price. They think they are Stanley Cup frontrunners, but I see a team built for about 50 games a year. They are small with minimal team toughness, but not fast enough or skilled enough to compete with teams like Washington or Pittsburgh. Their center depth is among the worst in the league IMO, with Desharnais and Plekanec in the top 9. I was a big advocate for Subban in the off season, again, many arguments were had, but that trade looks good right now. I'll admit, Weber has been way better than I expected, and without him I wonder if they'd even be in playoff position, but after this year and going forward it's still a bad trade.

Price has the ability to carry this team deep into the playoffs if he's on his game, which he isn't. But he'll find it. The team in front of him simply isn't good enough to be able to win the cup. Even if they made a huge splash at the deadline  (Duchene, Landeskog, Shattenkirk) it's not enough to fill the gaping holes in that roster.

And Therrien is a bad coach.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2017, 12:33:57 AM »
I disagree very much on the Weber trade looking good right now. He was amazing for the first two months and has had flashes of great play since, but overall he's several notches below Subban, and arguably not even the best defenseman on the team (Petry is a better possession driver and far less prone to getting hemmed inside his zone, probably one of the most underrated guys in the league). His even strength production is mediocre (again if we want to compare to Petry, who is a great even strength producer), and the biggest difference when comparing Weber to Subban, when Weber is on the ice, you're defending more. Subban actually battles for loose puck recoveries and plays an aggressive game. Weber plays conservatively which leaves him less error-prone, but in today's NHL is a net negative because in doing so you give the opposition more opportunites and limit your own team's, as he less often takes initiative and actually goes for the puck. The sad part is, he CAN play an aggressive game. He has pretty high success rates doing so. But he favours a traditional style. Weber isn't really better than Subban in any worthwhile way than being a harder shot and being more "low risk" (in quotes, because what good is it when Subban has better shot suppression stats in the end).

Also, Desharnais is barely even in our lineup anymore, and Plekanec is easily a great 3rd line calibre centre (although Phillip Danault would take that spot from him if we got a good 2C). So really they aren't problems either. Anyway, things Montreal mainly needs:

1. A halfway competent coach.

2. Price to be Price.

3. A 2LW

4. A 2C

Andrew Shaw is a great 3LW when he's not taking terrible penalties, and Lehkonen has 2LW potential but is not there yet. Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov is a pretty good first line, but most of our problems come from having no good second line quality players outside of Gallagher. A good LW - A good C - Gallagher would leave us with a 3rd line like Shaw - Danault - Byron, which we've tried before and has worked wonders. 4th line would be Lehkonen - Plekanec - Mitchell would be a pretty pesky 4th line. However, the chances of us landing all this without hampering the current roster in some way is slim to none, and not something I'm holding out much hope for.

But realistically, Therrien has to go. He's an awful coach. Problem is, Bergevin is his best friend. Therrien should have been gone long ago, but it'd take a god damn miracle for him to leave this season. Missing the playoffs or getting destroyed in the first round might prompt him, but even then I'm not so sure. All I know is the window is closing, and the chances of us being able to do anything about it are very low.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 12:42:48 AM by LieLowTheWantedMan »

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2017, 07:53:23 AM »
Pretty certain this Red Wings season is a wash. At this point, I wouldn't even be surprised if they stay relatively quiet at the deadline and begin planning for next year. Maybe unload some cap space but I don't see any dealbreakers really coming through for a playoff push. It's about time they started a rebuild.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »
OH MY GOD YES IT'S HAPPENING

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2017, 03:09:42 PM »
Therrien out, Boudreau in
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »

Seriously though almost screamed in joy at my desk at work. I would have placed good money on this never happening ever.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #310 on: February 14, 2017, 03:13:43 PM »
Therrien out, Julien in

Fixed! ;D

Thanks!  I got my French-Canadian hockey coaches mixed up.   :biggrin:
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #311 on: February 14, 2017, 03:17:30 PM »
I think this is the second time Julien has replaced Therrien, no?

An amazing turn of events for both teams this week.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2017, 03:22:16 PM »
Right you are. Kind of amazed they let the Habs speak to him. Business before rivalry I suppose.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2017, 03:32:31 PM »
Before 2015 they had to be compensated because of coaches contract. They waved at in 2015 that any team can hire a coach that was fired. The only difference is the Bruins are not on the hook for the rest of the contract.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:24:24 PM by kingshmegland »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #314 on: February 14, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »
Ah I see. Thanks!