Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 90738 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #245 on: January 14, 2017, 07:24:27 AM »
Very touching ceremony in Tampa for St. Louis' number retirement.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »
I don't think Michel Therrien knows how to pull goalies

I think he just seems to think that it sends a message to the player when you ruin his confidence and leave them in for, oh let's say, 7 or 10 goals.

I think Carey Price will be okay. :P And no that wasn't the reason behind either.

Apparently it was Price's decision to stay in the game when given the option to be pulled. I guess I understand Price's decision, but it seemed like he gave up in the third

He gave up when the game started. He's been bad since December. Last night it was his slump combined with the team playing no defense whatsoever. It's a shame because our defense has been solid lately but the past few games they've been pretty bad. In any case, Price insisted on staying in, so whatever. I know he'll get his game back. And even though he hasn't been great, the team has for the most part played amazing in the mean time considering half of our players and our former leading scorer are currently injured.

EDIT: AND INJURED NO LONGER GALCHENYUK AND SHAW CONFIRMED IN TONIGHT WOOOOO

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2017, 02:14:46 PM »
Yeah,  no need to worry in Montreal.  Price is an all world goalie.

Here in Edmonton we've a coach in McClellan who's been riding his tender like an airport rental. Talbot is on pace for 70 games this season,  and I'm concerned about fatigue down the stretch for a guy who just became a starter last season.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2017, 02:35:01 PM »
Yeah. Talbot is an underrated goalie to me, but no goalie should ever play over 70. I forget where I saw the article, but I read something pretty telling about Cup-winning goalies and the number of games they play in the regular season. It really wears down on guys in the long run when they play so many games, and it reflects in the playoffs.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #249 on: January 16, 2017, 07:26:55 AM »
Pens have lost three in a row. That hasn't happened in a long while. Hopefully they can start to tighten it up and play better away from the puck.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2017, 06:28:49 AM »
Pens have lost three in a row. That hasn't happened in a long while. Hopefully they can start to tighten it up and play better away from the puck.

Some huge offense last night v. Caps. I wish I would've watched. :tup

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2017, 06:42:44 AM »

Some huge offense last night v. Caps. I wish I would've watched. :tup

Yup, still a ton of issues defensively though. Don't get me wrong, a win is a win, but I'm starting to worry about the dcore with Letang and Dumo both out.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2017, 03:23:39 PM »
When did the Blues start imploding? It's more than just goaltending
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2017, 11:46:45 PM »

It's ugly.  The plan is for this to be Hitchcock's last season and then Mike Yeo will take over next season, but I can't help but wonder if they will make the move soon.  Not saying this is all on Hitch, but something needs to happen ASAP.  Say what you want about the Blues and never winning the Cup, but for the last 35 years, more often than not the team is good enough to where you think, "Hey, they can maybe win a round or two and then who knows?" That is not the case this year. They look like a team that will either miss the playoffs or get drilled in the first round.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2017, 07:02:44 PM »
Happy Birthday Mike Bossy!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2017, 03:18:51 AM »
Didn't get to post yesterday due to family being over and the two conference title games, but big win for the Rangers yesterday. As soon as the puck hit Zuccarello's stick in overtime I knew it was over. He played Detroit's goalie perfectly, making him think he was shooting, getting him in position to make the save then passing it to Miller as the goalie (sorry Detroit fans but I don't know his name) goes to make the save on Zucc. This is why I thought he should have made the All Star roster. He's a severely underrated player. Also, the shutout should be good for Lundqvist's confidence, as I feel that his mind hasn't really been in it lately. This could be the victory that gets Hank back to being his elite self.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2017, 07:26:03 AM »
At least one Pittsburgh team beat one Boston team yesterday!  :biggrin:

Pens are rolling right now. I'm hard pressed to remember a point in which Geno and Sid were both this hot at the same time.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »
Turns out the Devils just need to get a few more Flyers games on their schedule to get going again :biggrin:
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »
Turns out the Devils just need to get a few more Flyers games on their schedule to get going again :biggrin:

The Flyers are usually good for that. When the Rangers are in a slump I always look foward to when they play Philly so that they can start winning again.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #259 on: January 23, 2017, 11:59:14 AM »

The Flyers are usually good for that. When the Rangers are in a slump I always look foward to when they play Philly so that they can start winning again.

I'd have to check the exact stats, but I'd be willing to bet that over the past 10 years the Flyers have won the majority of games against the Devils. That said ANYONE who plays the Flyers right now is likely to get a nice boost, with the exception it seems of the Islanders.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »

I'd have to check the exact stats, but I'd be willing to bet that over the past 10 years the Flyers have won the majority of games against the Devils. That said ANYONE who plays the Flyers right now is likely to get a nice boost, with the exception it seems of the Islanders.

Well I was just talking about the two games this year, but I did a quick search and best I can tell is the Flyers are 22-23-6 going back to the 07-08 season :P
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2017, 02:28:44 PM »

It's ugly.  The plan is for this to be Hitchcock's last season and then Mike Yeo will take over next season, but I can't help but wonder if they will make the move soon.  Not saying this is all on Hitch, but something needs to happen ASAP.  Say what you want about the Blues and never winning the Cup, but for the last 35 years, more often than not the team is good enough to where you think, "Hey, they can maybe win a round or two and then who knows?" That is not the case this year. They look like a team that will either miss the playoffs or get drilled in the first round.

yeah....it was a bone head move to start with even bringing Hitch back. Then, to already have a 'coach in waiting'...there's no way the locker room was ever going to buy in to Hitch again. Especially with him being a very tough coach to play under. He's good and all...but all accounts point to him being very hard on players and if you know that you only have to put up with him for one more year...there's no way your giving maximum effort.

They started this season with a mind set to dump size and try the 'quick' game...a system that Hitchcock isn't familiar with. It makes no sense to me why when they knew they were taking a new direction why they didn't make a clean break and start from square one at the beginning of the season. Hitch is like 3 wins shy of tying some coach for all time wins....I imagine after he ties that or goes ahead by one or two they dump him and get on with it.

Not to blame it all on him but you have to start somewhere and that's as good as place as any.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2017, 08:43:28 AM »
I've been somewhat reluctant to talk about the Oilers this season due to irrational superstition. No playoffs in Edmonton since the unlikely '06 cup run, and it feels like the slightest breeze will cause their chances to tumble like a house of cards.However, after last night's beat down of the Ducks I feel much better about their chances this season. It was nice to see the Oilers beat an actual top team, as opposed to beating up on bottom dwellers. Finally a little separation between the top teams in the west and the wildcards too, which is nice too see!

On a side note, I'm happier and happier every day that the Draisaitl+4th overall for Subban never happened in the off season. Not sure how serious those talks were in the first place, but I'm sure glad Chiarelli held on to Leon.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2017, 08:48:12 AM »
I've been somewhat reluctant to talk about the Oilers this season due to irrational superstition. No playoffs in Edmonton since the unlikely '06 cup run, and it feels like the slightest breeze will cause their chances to tumble like a house of cards.However, after last night's beat down of the Ducks I feel much better about their chances this season. It was nice to see the Oilers beat an actual top team, as opposed to beating up on bottom dwellers. Finally a little separation between the top teams in the west and the wildcards too, which is nice too see!

On a side note, I'm happier and happier every day that the Draisaitl+4th overall for Subban never happened in the off season. Not sure how serious those talks were in the first place, but I'm sure glad Chiarelli held on to Leon.

I think the Oilers are definitely good enough to make a run this year, it helps that the West as a whole, is not good. I could easily see them in the first or maybe even second round.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2017, 11:38:42 AM »

I think the Oilers are definitely good enough to make a run this year, it helps that the West as a whole, is not good. I could easily see them in the first or maybe even second round.

Oh I still think they get smoked in the first round if they make it that far. I just can't see them beating many of the west playoff teams over the course of a series.

I don't think the west is any worse than the east this year. Sure, there's more goals being scored in the east (and more being allowed too), but in terms of wins and losses the conferences are fairly close. And in both cases the playoff cutoff right now is around 50-55 points.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2017, 12:12:47 PM »
Can this season end already? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »

Oh I still think they get smoked in the first round if they make it that far. I just can't see them beating many of the west playoff teams over the course of a series.

I don't think the west is any worse than the east this year. Sure, there's more goals being scored in the east (and more being allowed too), but in terms of wins and losses the conferences are fairly close. And in both cases the playoff cutoff right now is around 50-55 points.

I'd be surprised if they get to the second round, but that's a huge improvement for that team based on recent history, so it's something.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »

Well I was just talking about the two games this year, but I did a quick search and best I can tell is the Flyers are 22-23-6 going back to the 07-08 season :P

Fine then, I stand corrected. I'd say we're just 1 game below .500 if I was as moronic as a majority of the sports analysts out there.

Can this season end already? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Heh, we certainly aren't having it as bad as you, but I'm not exactly thrilled with this season. Flyers had a 10 game win streak, sure, but didn't look overly impressive throughout it. We are built for the future, and have a ton of D prospects, so I just pray that Hextall sells some expiring D at the deadline and makes the future even brighter.

I'd be surprised if they get to the second round, but that's a huge improvement for that team based on recent history, so it's something.

Yeah, I don't think the Oilers get to the cup this year, but I definitely think they make it to the playoffs. They've got a good team and are fighting hard, which will get them in the game, but I don't think they have enough to win it yet. Still, the future is finally looking decent there. Ditto to Toronto who might also start to see some light.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #268 on: January 31, 2017, 07:16:37 AM »
Barclay's Center is thinking about dropping the Isles.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-30/brooklyn-s-barclays-center-said-to-be-dumping-the-islanders

After two years and countless complaints, Brooklyn’s Barclays Center has concluded it’s no longer worth it to host the New York Islanders.

The arena, which is already home to the NBA’s Nets and one of the world’s top-grossing concert venues, would make more money without the National Hockey League team, according to people familiar with the facility’s financials.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #269 on: January 31, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »
Barclay's Center is thinking about dropping the Isles.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-30/brooklyn-s-barclays-center-said-to-be-dumping-the-islanders

After two years and countless complaints, Brooklyn’s Barclays Center has concluded it’s no longer worth it to host the New York Islanders.

The arena, which is already home to the NBA’s Nets and one of the world’s top-grossing concert venues, would make more money without the National Hockey League team, according to people familiar with the facility’s financials.

Yeah i heard that on sportscentre last night. NYI have been complaining about the arena since day 1, so I don't think there's going to be hard feelings either way. Apparently there aren't even clear sight lines for hockey anyway, in some seats. I remember reading last year that there were seats that were all or mostly blocked by pillars, and the Barclays Center management responded by saying the fans could watch the game on their phones while they were in the arena if they can't see the ice.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #270 on: January 31, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
I remember when Winnipeg first moved to Phoenix, there were seats with no view of the net beneath them, so they used huge video screens on the opposite side to show those fans the view beneath them. Or something.

Wonder where they'll play if this falls out.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: January 31, 2017, 01:40:48 PM »
I remember when Winnipeg first moved to Phoenix, there were seats with no view of the net beneath them, so they used huge video screens on the opposite side to show those fans the view beneath them. Or something.

Huge video screens? Ha! They just sold them at a discounted rate, that's about it!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #272 on: January 31, 2017, 02:34:06 PM »

Back to Nassau Coliseum?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #273 on: January 31, 2017, 02:42:12 PM »

Huge video screens? Ha! They just sold them at a discounted rate, that's about it!

Ah I see. I misunderstood what the announcers on TV had said; basically people in those seats just had to crane their heads up to watch replays on the screens. Never mind then. "Marketing opportunity seats"

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: January 31, 2017, 03:33:08 PM »

Ah I see. I misunderstood what the announcers on TV had said; basically people in those seats just had to crane their heads up to watch replays on the screens. Never mind then. "Marketing opportunity seats"
They aren't problematic for basketball - which is why the Suns still play there. That stadium was not designed for hockey in anyway. And the "new" stadium the coyotes got has been a cluster/disaster politically and monetarily. Last I heard, I think they are getting a new-new stadium pairing with ASU hockey. Lots of Canadians seems to like the idea of hockey in the desert and ASU has a pretty good team.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #275 on: February 01, 2017, 07:15:31 AM »
Hitchcock out in SL?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: February 01, 2017, 07:32:44 AM »
Hitchcock out in SL?!

Yep

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/02/01/breaking-blues-fire-head-coach-ken-hitchcock/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

They should have never signed him for this year anyway....shoulda just turned the page after last season and let that be that. Maybe this will be the spark the team needs to stop the Jekyl and Hyde routine they've had this year and secure a playoff spot.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #277 on: February 01, 2017, 07:34:36 AM »
^Yeah hopefully, so Yeo in as HC now. How do you guys feel about him out in SL? I know when he was here in Pittsburgh as an Assistant he was held in high regard. Smart coach, good with the guys in the room.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: February 01, 2017, 07:44:22 AM »
^Yeah hopefully, so Yeo in as HC now. How do you guys feel about him out in SL? I know when he was here in Pittsburgh as an Assistant he was held in high regard. Smart coach, good with the guys in the room.

All I know is that the talk is the players really like him....obviously he manned a pretty good Minnesota team....he seems to be a good fit? The 'coach in waiting' idea the Blues tried this year was just a horrible way to go. It's well known that Hitchcock is tough on his players and that the players 'don't like' playing for him at all. Introducing next years coach....one that is a players coach (by all accounts Yeo is?) and then expecting your team to respect and compete for a coach who is hard on players was just a dumb idea.

Add to the fact that the Blues decided to drop their 'size' and focus on more of the quick/smart game ala Penguins and other successful teams....a style that Hitchcock admitted he hasn't coached before....it even magnifies how dumb a move it was to bring him back for one year and implement the whole coach in waiting deal with Yeo.

No matter what I see this as a wasted year for them. I can't imagine that they make any type of run in  the playoffs IF they make them given how off and on their play has been but who knows, hockey is a strange sport when it comes to momentum and hot streaks. They definitely have the talent to do some damage...maybe Yeo is the leader/coach to pull it all together?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #279 on: February 01, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »
I think Yeo will be a good change of pace for two main reasons (1) if the guys in the room like him more than Hitchcock, that mid-season shift has historically shown to be a good move for some NHL clubs and (2) Yeo knows how to coach a skill, speed team.