Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 90483 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #1400 on: June 23, 2017, 11:56:11 AM »
Wow

TRADE:

To #Blackhawks:
F Brandon Saad
G Anton Forsberg
2018 5th RD pick

To #BlueJackets:
F Artemi Panarin
F Tyler Motte
2017 6th RD pick
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1401 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:42 PM »
Gheez, I'd take Panarin any day of the week, but that's just me.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1402 on: June 23, 2017, 12:23:32 PM »
Wow

TRADE:

To #Blackhawks:
F Brandon Saad
G Anton Forsberg
2018 5th RD pick

To #BlueJackets:
F Artemi Panarin
F Tyler Motte
2017 6th RD pick

Still wrapping my head around it. And Hjalmarsson going to Arizona(?)

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1403 on: June 23, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »
Wow

TRADE:

To #Blackhawks:
F Brandon Saad
G Anton Forsberg
2018 5th RD pick

To #BlueJackets:
F Artemi Panarin
F Tyler Motte
2017 6th RD pick

Still wrapping my head around it. And Hjalmarsson going to Arizona(?)

Maybe they have it on good authority that Panarin will go to the KHL after this contract is up?  Otherwise,  yeah,  this is questionable.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1404 on: June 23, 2017, 01:43:27 PM »
Gheez, I'd take Panarin any day of the week, but that's just me.

Yeah. Me too. It came out that Tarasenko lobbied hard to Blues leadership to get Panarin two years ago but they passed. That'd have been awesome to have he and Tarasenko on a line.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1405 on: June 23, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »
Kane/Panarin was an outstanding chemistry. Definitely gonna miss that.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1406 on: June 23, 2017, 07:38:44 PM »
Wow. I'm heartbroken right now. Thank you Stepan for being the true captain of the Rangers after Callahan was traded (sorry MacDonagh) and for helping me become the die-hard fan I am today. I hope you do well in Arizona (except for the two games that we play against them).
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1407 on: June 23, 2017, 07:54:18 PM »
I loved Stepan.

Can't believe the Hawks traded Panarin.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: June 23, 2017, 08:14:48 PM »

there HAS to be more to the story. I just don't get it. Panarin is a stud, plain and simple. He's a 25+ goal scorer for the foreseeable future...wicked shot....slick hands.....this one is a head scratcher. Maybe he was shagging the owners daughter or something?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: June 23, 2017, 08:30:14 PM »
Wow.
  Blues move Lehtera and the 27th pick this year and 2018 conditional pick to the Flyers for Brayden Schenn   AND send Ryan Reaves to Pittsburg for 23 year old Oskar Sundquist. I love the Lehtera deal but am questioning the Reaves deal. Tarasenko it's now open season on Tarasenko....speaking of which....former Blues player and tough guy Kelly Chase tweeted:

"Warning to the Eastern Conference The BS with running Crosby every shift has ended"   Which I have to agree. Not many as tough as Reaves left in the league.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1410 on: June 23, 2017, 08:38:10 PM »
Reaves is an absolute beast.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1411 on: June 23, 2017, 10:35:44 PM »

there HAS to be more to the story. I just don't get it. Panarin is a stud, plain and simple. He's a 25+ goal scorer for the foreseeable future...wicked shot....slick hands.....this one is a head scratcher. Maybe he was shagging the owners daughter or something?

Im gonn get down to the bottom of this lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1412 on: June 24, 2017, 05:16:09 AM »
Certainly seems on the surface that Bowman may have over-reacted to the 1st round sweep.  Not sure bringing back Saad is the 'answer' to getting them deeper into the playoffs.  And even if he felt that he had enough goal-scoring talent, he could've/should've got more for Panarin.

Really surprised that the Caps re-signed Oshie.... especially for 8 years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1413 on: June 24, 2017, 05:17:10 AM »
An 8 year contract is stupid in any sport.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1414 on: June 24, 2017, 06:55:47 AM »
Wow.
  Blues move Lehtera and the 27th pick this year and 2018 conditional pick to the Flyers for Brayden Schenn   AND send Ryan Reaves to Pittsburg for 23 year old Oskar Sundquist. I love the Lehtera deal but am questioning the Reaves deal. Tarasenko it's now open season on Tarasenko....speaking of which....former Blues player and tough guy Kelly Chase tweeted:

"Warning to the Eastern Conference The BS with running Crosby every shift has ended"   Which I have to agree. Not many as tough as Reaves left in the league.

Players like Reaves are becoming obsolete.  Thanks to the instigator rule, you can't make someone fight for you if they take a run at one of your stars.  Team toughness nowadays is far more valuable than having a designated enforcer.

I love the trade for Schenn.  We unload Lehtera and his worthless contact, and add a top line center who will make the PP great again.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1415 on: June 24, 2017, 07:17:18 AM »
Wow.

Players like Reaves are becoming obsolete.  Thanks to the instigator rule, you can't make someone fight for you if they take a run at one of your stars.  Team toughness nowadays is far more valuable than having a designated enforcer.

I love the trade for Schenn.  We unload Lehtera and his worthless contact, and add a top line center who will make the PP great again.

Generally speaking I tend to agree, but I like this deal for the Pens. After the abuse our stars took in the playoffs, Rutherford basically publically said this is what he felt he needed to get for the Pens. A tough guy to stand up to the other team when they take liberties but who can also skate and play. Reaves seems to be that, I think he'll be a fan favorite here the first time he stands up and goes out of his way to make a point.

Gary is spot on - that's the exact message that management is trying to send to the conference and specifically some key troublemakers in the Metro.

On Oskar (or Sunny as we usually call him), you guys are getting a solid, young center. He has a very strong defensive game, great positioning and responsibility awareness in the defensive zone. He can kill penalties and he's fairly quick. He needs to work on his offense a bit, but I feel he has the hands to do that successfully. He's a solid 4th line NHL center, with the potential to be 3rd liner some day.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1416 on: June 24, 2017, 09:03:48 AM »

I'm still shocked that any team would take Lehtera. His concussion history, $4.75 mil a year and the fact that my 9 year old can knock him off the puck led me to believe the Blues were stuck with him. And to get Schenn for him....seems a bit lopsided to me. But I'm not gonna argue about it. Judging from the things I read last night the Blues have had the hots for Schenn for some time and let the Flyers know that quite often.

As far as Reaves....I see some folks flipping out on twitter and what not like Armstrong just traded Gretzky or something. I like(d) Reaves...everything you hear about him is that he's a great guy in the locker room....he's tough as nails and what he did last summer to change his game to stay relevant was great dedication. But the Blues need(ed) depth in Center and so with a couple swift moves Armstrong made that happen. I think Reaves was a win, win scenario

I think he'll be a fan favorite here the first time he stands up and goes out of his way to make a point.

Oh...he will absolutely become a fan favorite. The thing the Blues are going to miss the most about him is that he has and can single handedly change the momentum of a game in one shift...either from convincing someone to fight him (which is becoming a task in itself) but mostly from a shift where he literally nails every player out there with a massive check.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: June 27, 2017, 04:59:34 AM »
Good picks for the HHOF - at least on the NHL player side.  It's amazing that it can take so long for some of these players to get in - Recchi (4 years) Kariya (5 years); Andreychuck (9 years) - just goes to show that the HHOF isn't just a rubber stamp.

Still some pretty big names out there though.
Alfredsson - my guess is it'll take him a while.  I always thought of him as a B-list superstar
Roenick - he'll likely never make it... no cups; no individual awards
Mogilny - someday maybe... he's got a cup, and a lot of int'l wins, and is a > point/per game
Fleury - ditto
Osgood - 3 cups... but I never thought of him as a Tier 1 goalie
Joseph - #4 all-time in wins... but I'd be surprised if he makes it - like JR, no cups, and no Vezina
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1418 on: June 28, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »
If the Red Wings had won the Cup in 2009 like they were supposed to, Chris Osgood was the favorite for the Conn Smythe trophy.  Had they pulled it off, I think that would have erased any questions about his HHOF candidacy.  As it is, I still think he should get in. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1419 on: June 28, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »

As far as Reaves....I see some folks flipping out on twitter and what not like Armstrong just traded Gretzky or something. I like(d) Reaves...everything you hear about him is that he's a great guy in the locker room....he's tough as nails and what he did last summer to change his game to stay relevant was great dedication. But the Blues need(ed) depth in Center and so with a couple swift moves Armstrong made that happen. I think Reaves was a win, win scenario

Agreed.  :tup :tup

If the Red Wings had won the Cup in 2009 like they were supposed to, Chris Osgood was the favorite for the Conn Smythe trophy.  Had they pulled it off, I think that would have erased any questions about his HHOF candidacy.  As it is, I still think he should get in.

I disagree.  Osgood was a good goalie on one of the most loaded teams of all time.  Sure, he won 2 Cups as the playoff starter, but his job was basically, "Don't screw it up."  He was great at times, but was never a great goalie.  He was never considered one of the best goalies in the NHL.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1420 on: June 28, 2017, 07:24:28 PM »
The Sens lock up Condon for three more years. Looking like they want him to be the starter in year 2 if Anderson doesn't resign after next season and starter in year 3. He was good for us, mixed reaction from some I follow on Twitter, but I like Condon and we wouldn't have been in the playoffs without him
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1421 on: June 28, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »
Osgood was solid for most of his career and did win two Cups as a starter, almost a third...and don't forget it was Babcock's decision to pull Hasek after a abysmal first 4 games in 08 that set Osgood up for a great playoff run. That said, let's also not forget how the Wings repeated in 98 despite Osgood letting in 3 horribly soft goals through the first three rounds: blueliner from Roenick in Phoenix that tied the game, center ice blast from MacInnis in St. Louis that tied the game, and another center ice shot from Langenbrunner in Dallas that ended Game 5. I'm hard-pressed to name another goaltender who so consistently let in softies yet still won the Cup. It got to the point that every hard-around or entry shot made Wings fans hold their collective breath. It all hearkened back to the Sharks series in 94.

Now don't get me wrong, Osgood earned those Cups and his place in Detroit lore, but I am kind of in agreement that despite his wins, he isn't really HoF material. On almost any other set of teams, Osgood would have been the scapegoat, but those Wings teams of the late 90s were something to behold. In reality, other than the years they had Hasek, I don't think Detroit has had a HoF goaltender since Vernon, and calling him HoF might be pushing it. They paid for Cujo, and I don't really feel he ever lived up to the hype. Same with Ranford. Osgood was a mostly consistent mule, but not much more. And this is coming from a Red Wing fan.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: June 28, 2017, 08:06:47 PM »
I disagree.  Osgood was a good goalie on one of the most loaded teams of all time.  Sure, he won 2 Cups as the playoff starter, but his job was basically, "Don't screw it up."  He was great at times, but was never a great goalie.  He was never considered one of the best goalies in the NHL.

Precisely what I was trying to say.  I don't remember him consistently being a difference maker in the fortunes of the Red Wings.  He certainly made/makes some great saves, but can't really say he was a great goalie.  Reminds me of the role that Corey Crawford played in Chicago's cup wins.

Osgood doesn't even crack the top 10 in all-time wins, and not even top 25 in shutouts (27th), GAA (37th) or save% (56th).  Given his career spanned two different 'goal-scoring' eras (90s = high; 00s = low), you'd think if he was "elite", he'd be higher. Both Brodeur and Hasek (who played in the 90s and 00s as well) are far ahead of him in all-time GAA.

Good insight by Drew... and yeah, they jumped on Ranford and Cujo for the downslope of their respective careers - Hasek too to be honest... but even the twilight of his career was better than the prime of most goalies.