Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 89923 times)

Online mikeyd23

Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #1365 on: June 19, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
^ That's fair, I hear you. It'll be interesting to see how it goes for them.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1366 on: June 19, 2017, 02:48:21 PM »
They'll be fine in net, and maybe on d. I don't think they'll be able to score enough to win. Aside from Neal and Ryan, it's basically going to be a team full of 3rd liners. Also, it'll be all new coaches and a bunch of players that have never really played together. SJ had 39pts in their expansion season and so did the Thrashers. I think 60pts is me being generous.

True... but San Jose was in an era without the prevalence of OT points, and their expansion draft had that cluster fuck with the North Stars franchise.  The Thrashers were coming off a year right after the Preds expansion picks... so it was a depleted inventory.  The Preds had 63 points in their expansion year.

I also think there is more depth in the league nowadays.  60ish points for the Knights is not out of the question
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1367 on: June 19, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
They'll be fine in net, and maybe on d. I don't think they'll be able to score enough to win. Aside from Neal and Ryan, it's basically going to be a team full of 3rd liners. Also, it'll be all new coaches and a bunch of players that have never really played together. SJ had 39pts in their expansion season and so did the Thrashers. I think 60pts is me being generous.

True... but San Jose was in an era without the prevalence of OT points, and their expansion draft had that cluster fuck with the North Stars franchise.  The Thrashers were coming off a year right after the Preds expansion picks... so it was a depleted inventory.  The Preds had 63 points in their expansion year.

I also think there is more depth in the league nowadays.  60ish points for the Knights is not out of the question

True, the preds are probably a better comparison. Still tough going for a few years, and the NFL moving in could potentially cripple the franchise right out of the gate.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1368 on: June 19, 2017, 04:04:43 PM »
I didn't expect a Flyers defenseman (MacDonald) or goalie to be taken, and with 6 no-brainer choices on forward I'm completely baffled as to why we protected Laughton and exposed Raffl. If I'm Vegas that's an easy choice from us.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #1369 on: June 20, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »
Interesting trade for Montreal. They give up a top end D prospect for a questionable offensive player. And then sign him long term. I'm no Habs fan, but i don't think that worked out well for their depth chart moving forward. Also, they'll need to protect Drouin in the expansion draft whereas Sergachev is ineligible. What do the MTL fans (ok, maybe just fan)   here think?

I think it's great. I have seen Drouin played a few times as a junior and in the NHL. Very ofensive gifted player. Had great playoffs in '16 and a pretty good last season. It's about time the management move forward and stop thinking about their non efficient boring defensive 2 to 1 win game style. And wishing every year that the goalie will make miracles and carry the team to the finals. It does not work. Good enough to make the playoffs but not enough offense, no power play goals, Drouin has been welcomed as a great trade by most people. And Drouin likes the pressure, is not afraid of it and considering his new contract (6 years, 5.5 millions per season) it's gonna be a steal. Sergachev will be good. Great skating ability but he is soft and loose. His speed catches back a lot of mistakes he makes in the junior. I saw him play a few games with Montreal before they send him back to his junior team and was always behind the plays. Way not ready. If he becomes good, well good for Tampa. But we got Drouin and I believe it's great. Unless they try to change him in a Lady Bing trophee contender, he will have so much icetime, at 22 years old he is very promissing.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #1370 on: June 20, 2017, 06:43:08 PM »
Closet Habs fan here....I don't mind the trade. Drouin was on a 60 pt/82 games pace last year, and has all the assets to go 70+, so he's immediately the best offensive player on the team. I expect Galchenyuk is dished for a legit top line center or dman, and then Montreal would end up with an upgraded piece on forward  (Drouin from Galchenyuk) and plug a hole with center or a dman. With Price, the Habs have to be in win mow mode, And this deal  (and subsequent deals) are setting themselves up for that since Sergachev is at least 2 years away from being an impact player.

That being said, I've also read that this means Radulov likely isn't coming back, who was the best player last year, and the Habs still don't have a team nearly good enough to be a legit Cup threat at the moment.

I honestly would like to keep Galchenyuk and Radulov. We need offence. Hopefully, Vegas will pick Plekanec and the Habs will sign Joe Thornton for 2 years. If chucky goes, it's like Drouin for him, it's quite the same. And Radulov has to stay, he looked so passionate last season. I thought it was the legendary Maurice Rocket Richard from time to time.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1371 on: June 20, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »
Closet Habs fan here....I don't mind the trade. Drouin was on a 60 pt/82 games pace last year, and has all the assets to go 70+, so he's immediately the best offensive player on the team. I expect Galchenyuk is dished for a legit top line center or dman, and then Montreal would end up with an upgraded piece on forward  (Drouin from Galchenyuk) and plug a hole with center or a dman. With Price, the Habs have to be in win mow mode, And this deal  (and subsequent deals) are setting themselves up for that since Sergachev is at least 2 years away from being an impact player.

That being said, I've also read that this means Radulov likely isn't coming back, who was the best player last year, and the Habs still don't have a team nearly good enough to be a legit Cup threat at the moment.

I honestly would like to keep Galchenyuk and Radulov. We need offence. Hopefully, Vegas will pick Plekanec and the Habs will sign Joe Thornton for 2 years. If chucky goes, it's like Drouin for him, it's quite the same. And Radulov has to stay, he looked so passionate last season. I thought it was the legendary Maurice Rocket Richard from time to time.

The very real concern is to repeat Carolina's mistake with Semin. Got a 1 year deal, played well, cashed in and completely tanked. I'm hearing the Canadians don't want to go more than 3 years, and they're smart in that.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1372 on: June 21, 2017, 07:14:04 AM »
Love the Golden Knight's unis. Curious to see who they end up taking in the expansion draft.  Tempting to become a fan of a team on day one.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: June 21, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »
Love the Golden Knight's unis. Curious to see who they end up taking in the expansion draft.  Tempting to become a fan of a team on day one.

I did that with the Sharks back in '91.  Then they had to go and make their first meaningful playoff run through Toronto.  :zeltar:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1374 on: June 21, 2017, 08:10:29 AM »
Between the NHL and NBA this week, it's speculation heaven. Can't wait to watch the Awards/Reveal tonight.

And Hossa  :omg:  WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1375 on: June 21, 2017, 08:24:16 AM »
Between the NHL and NBA this week, it's speculation heaven. Can't wait to watch the Awards/Reveal tonight.

Yeah, the Hossa thing is a sad story. Even as Chicago was running through the Flyers for their first cup Hossa was a guy I was happy for, have always liked him. Given his age and already committing to not playing a full season you can basically see the Pronger writing on the wall that he's played his last NHL game.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1376 on: June 21, 2017, 08:47:54 AM »

Yeah, the Hossa thing is a sad story. Even as Chicago was running through the Flyers for their first cup Hossa was a guy I was happy for, have always liked him. Given his age and already committing to not playing a full season you can basically see the Pronger writing on the wall that he's played his last NHL game.

Totally agree, I wish Hossa all the best, sounds like a scary thing to go through.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1377 on: June 21, 2017, 10:06:24 AM »
Sad thing to hear. We'll see how it turns out.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1378 on: June 21, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
When does the schedule come out? Hoping for the Devils to give me an excuse to spend a couple days in Vegas :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1379 on: June 21, 2017, 10:59:05 AM »
I can't believe there's no leaks over any potential deals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1380 on: June 21, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »
When does the schedule come out? Hoping for the Devils to give me an excuse to spend a couple days in Vegas :hat

I saw information about season openers and home openers coming out on twitter in the past hour or so, not sure when full schedule is/was released.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1381 on: June 21, 2017, 10:59:45 AM »

What? We have pretty good information on at least 6-8 Vegas deals already.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1382 on: June 21, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »
We do??

I have TSN on my computer and they don't have anything reported. Unless I missed it, but I've been following it. I know the Isles gave them a #1 pick but that's all I know. They have picked up extra first round picks in this draft, but not hearing where they came from.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: June 21, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »

I'm pretty sure that every team visits every city at least once a season.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1384 on: June 21, 2017, 11:37:48 AM »

OK, I wasn't positive if that was the case with teams in the opposite conference given I know they play within the division and conference multiple times each season.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1385 on: June 21, 2017, 12:33:42 PM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1386 on: June 21, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »

What? We have pretty good information on at least 6-8 Vegas deals already.

There are some whispers of Vegas' picks trickling out this afternoon.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1387 on: June 21, 2017, 02:07:51 PM »
Pretty cool article written by Tarasenko

https://theplayerstribune.com/vladimir-tarasenko-st-louis-blues-nhl/

Read that, awesome!

Yes, that was about the one and only good thing about the last realignment.
We do??

I have TSN on my computer and they don't have anything reported. Unless I missed it, but I've been following it. I know the Isles gave them a #1 pick but that's all I know. They have picked up extra first round picks in this draft, but not hearing where they came from.

I'd have to actually look around to get the full list, but we know a bunch of guys who have been "protected" by sending assets to Vegas. And 1 or 2 (like Trevor Van Reimsdyk) that were left exposed in exchange for taking a bad contract.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1388 on: June 21, 2017, 02:21:27 PM »
Decided to do about a minute of internet sleuthing :lol schedule will be out about 24 hours from now.
Photobucket sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1389 on: June 21, 2017, 07:19:57 PM »
So glad Chiarelli did not win GM of the year. Fuck him!

David Poile is a fantastic pick. But leaving James Neal exposed??

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1390 on: June 21, 2017, 07:38:25 PM »
So glad Chiarelli did not win GM of the year. Fuck him!

David Poile is a fantastic pick. But leaving James Neal exposed??

I agree.  That Lucic contact will haunt the oil in about 2 years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1391 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
I can't even list the ways he fucked up the Bruins. He won a Cup with Mike O'Connell's picks (Lucic included), put them in cap hell. Couldn't f'n draft to save his life. His first round picks are laughable.
That Bruins team that won the Cup in 2011 had a core that should've had them contending for years to come.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1392 on: June 21, 2017, 08:24:16 PM »
Marc Andre Fluery...total class!

:clap:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1393 on: June 21, 2017, 10:20:21 PM »
Yeah. ....now I really don't think vegas will be able to score any goals.  That's a pretty sad group up front.  The D look good though. I'm hoping to see some good trade action at the draft! 

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #1394 on: June 22, 2017, 12:49:01 AM »
Vegas isn't looking too bad. Their defence will probably struggle for a while, but there are good players there, and their forward corps is a solid build. Marchessault, Perron, and Neal should produce a decent amount of offence across a couple lines and Karlsson will be great in the defensive zone.

I'm sad Schlemko was picked from my Sharks, he's a stats darling. Was hoping the Knights would take Dillon and his contract off the books tbh

edit: i mean don't get me wrong, they're going to suck, but I'm trying to be an optimist here...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:19:02 AM by Zeltar »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: June 22, 2017, 04:57:57 AM »
Let's all pump the brakes and see what todays trades bring.

I think the awards were pretty much spot on.  Though, Burns should've lost the Norris for that man-bun alone.  FFS, when can that fad end?  No real surprise that Matthews was the most lopsided winner of the night.  :fistpump:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1396 on: June 22, 2017, 05:53:25 AM »
My issue with the awards are who the fuck are these actors and shit that they bring out? I've never heard of them.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: June 22, 2017, 06:42:04 AM »
My issue with the awards are who the fuck are these actors and shit that they bring out? I've never heard of them.

See, you're problem is in watching.  Just catch the highlights/acceptance speeches at the end of the night.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1398 on: June 22, 2017, 06:42:26 AM »
Let's all pump the brakes and see what todays trades bring.

I think the awards were pretty much spot on.  Though, Burns should've lost the Norris for that man-bun alone.  FFS, when can that fad end?  No real surprise that Matthews was the most lopsided winner of the night.  :fistpump:
:lol

I agree about the trades, gotta wait till the dust settles to really judge LV, but at least as they stand now, I think there biggest weakness is Center. They won't be good down the middle. They have a couple wingers that can score, who knows if they will score, but they can score. D isn't bad, goal tending should be solid.

Marc Andre Fluery...total class!

:clap:

Yup, sad to see Flower leave Pittsburgh. He was really the start of the rebuilding here. Everyone remembers when the Pens got Sid or Geno, but a couple years before all that fell in place, they drafted Marc first overall in 2003 and he was a gigantic part of the Penguins success over the last 10 or so years. Also, I know it sounds cliche, but he's also a great guy, went above and beyond in terms of charity and community work and was a class act every single second over the last 14 or so years.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1399 on: June 22, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »
Granted,  i don't see much of Ryan Strome, but i don't know what the fuck Chiarelli was thinking. Eberle for Strome straight up?   :facepalm: