Author Topic: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread  (Read 90670 times)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Official NHL 2016-2017 Thread
« Reply #1120 on: May 22, 2017, 09:03:08 PM »
And the Cinderella run continues. The fucking Nashville Predators are going to the Stanely Cup Finals.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1121 on: May 22, 2017, 09:44:27 PM »
How gross.

I am sure they will win just to bug me, but I hope the Preds get torn to shreds by whoever comes out of the East.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1122 on: May 22, 2017, 09:50:04 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Nashville win it just so PK can drive back and forth in front of Bergevin's house with the cup when he undoubtedly visits all the Montreal hospitals he's donated tons of money to.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1123 on: May 22, 2017, 10:19:41 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing Nashville win it just so PK can drive back and forth in front of Bergevin's house with the cup when he undoubtedly visits all the Montreal hospitals he's donated tons of money to.
:lol I wish I could upvote this or something.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1124 on: May 22, 2017, 11:06:36 PM »
How gross.

I am sure they will win just to bug me, but I hope the Preds get torn to shreds by whoever comes out of the East.

Totally this.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1125 on: May 23, 2017, 07:29:16 AM »
:lol I wish I could upvote this or something.

I would love to see this as well.  If I remember right, Larry Murphy did something similar after winning the Cup in 1997 with the Red Wings.  He had been traded from the Maple Leafs to the Red Wings at the deadline that year, and was taking a lot of the blame for how the Leafs' season had gone to that point.  On his day with the Cup that summer, he drove around downtown Toronto in a convertible with the Cup very much visible for Maple Leafs fans to see it.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1126 on: May 23, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
Kessel brought it back last year.  Took it to Toronto Sick Kids Hospital.  Total dick move.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: May 23, 2017, 08:39:26 AM »
I would love to see the Finals officiated in such a way where timely/untimely calls don't affect the outcome of a game. That's Nashvilles kryptonite.....

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: May 23, 2017, 08:54:12 AM »
I would love to see the Finals officiated in such a way where timely/untimely calls don't affect the outcome of a game. That's Nashvilles kryptonite.....

Yeah... fortunate non-call of the 2nd puck-over-glass play that would've put them down 5-on-3.  And then magically a couple minutes later, GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAL!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1129 on: May 23, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »
Buddy of mine is a season ticket holder of the Preds. Sent me a pic this morning of I guess the conference champ trophy on the ice...and said no one on the team touched it. They want the REAL cup. Awesome statement by the team. Also sent me a pic of downtown after the win -- place was packed.

I fully admit I do not follow hockey like I used to (I am an Islanders fan). But I'll be tuning into the Stanley Cup Finals.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: May 23, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »

Yeah... fortunate non-call of the 2nd puck-over-glass play that would've put them down 5-on-3.  And then magically a couple minutes later, GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAL!

It's been that way for them all post season. its uncanny.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1131 on: May 23, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »
It hit the top of the glass on the way out. It was called by the rules. :P

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: May 23, 2017, 09:43:55 AM »

Did it?

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1133 on: May 23, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »
Buddy of mine is a season ticket holder of the Preds. Sent me a pic this morning of I guess the conference champ trophy on the ice...and said no one on the team touched it. They want the REAL cup. Awesome statement by the team.

I would guess 90% Or more of teams do this. The Penguins touched theirs last year because they did not touch it in '08 and lost, then touched it in '09 and won, so they touched it last year again on supersition.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1134 on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »
Buddy of mine is a season ticket holder of the Preds. Sent me a pic this morning of I guess the conference champ trophy on the ice...and said no one on the team touched it. They want the REAL cup. Awesome statement by the team.

I would guess 90% Or more of teams do this. The Penguins touched theirs last year because they did not touch it in '08 and lost, then touched it in '09 and won, so they touched it last year again on supersition.

Yup, it's pretty common for this to happen, definitely not some big statement by the Preds.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1135 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »

Did it?
Yep. Don't have a replay handy but there was one angle where it was pretty clear.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1136 on: May 23, 2017, 11:55:25 AM »

Did it?
Yep. Don't have a replay handy but there was one angle where it was pretty clear.

But what you didn't see was that the puck has a magnet in it, and as the puck was just about to clear the top of the class the linesman activated the electromagnic in his pocket for a brief moment to draw the puck down just enough to glaze off the top of the glass. It's all part of the leagues plot for the Preds.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: May 23, 2017, 11:59:55 AM »

Did it?

But what you didn't see was that the puck has a magnet in it, and as the puck was just about to clear the top of the class the linesman activated the electromagnic in his pocket for a brief moment to draw the puck down just enough to glaze off the top of the glass. It's all part of the leagues plot for the Preds.

Finally!!! someone else gets it!!!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: May 23, 2017, 02:30:09 PM »

Did it?

Fair enough... I didn't see that replay.

I believe I heard that Calgary in 2004 was the last team to touch the Clarence Campbell bowl.  Seems 'not touching' is more the tradition for the West.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1139 on: May 23, 2017, 06:38:39 PM »

Did it?

Fair enough... I didn't see that replay.

I believe I heard that Calgary in 2004 was the last team to touch the Clarence Campbell bowl.  Seems 'not touching' is more the tradition for the West.
You were probably watching the CBC replays? IIRC they didn't really show the defining angle. I found the replay from NBC that showed the good angle, but I don't have it anymore.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1140 on: May 23, 2017, 09:01:24 PM »
Not ready to quit yet
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: May 23, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »
Damn straight.  Gut-check win after giving up the first goal.  Helluva shot by Hoffman.

Game 7... anything can happen!

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1142 on: May 23, 2017, 10:25:51 PM »
I have one Wish, for the NHL to figure out what goalie interference is and apply it consistently. In a bubble, I'm on the fence about the Daley goal/no goal, but the NHL is not a bubble and they set the precedent by allowing that Kesler goal against Edmonton, and then flipped the script here. As I said, I'm fine if Daley's isn't a goal, I wouldn't argue for a second, but come on NHL, figure it out, it's been s controversy for how many years now.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1143 on: May 24, 2017, 07:03:15 AM »
I have one Wish, for the NHL to figure out what goalie interference is and apply it consistently. In a bubble, I'm on the fence about the Daley goal/no goal, but the NHL is not a bubble and they set the precedent by allowing that Kesler goal against Edmonton, and then flipped the script here. As I said, I'm fine if Daley's isn't a goal, I wouldn't argue for a second, but come on NHL, figure it out, it's been s controversy for how many years now.

To be fair, it's been much harder to define since Tomas Holmstrom retired.  I believe the old rule was, "if player is positioned within 5 feet of the crease with his back to the goalie, and he wears number 96 for the Detroit Red Wings, the opposing goalie is allowed to fall suddenly like he has been shot by a high velocity sniper rifle and draw a 2 minute minor for goaltender interference.  Also, opposing team's defence men are allowed to push, trip or otherwise cajole player into goalie to draw a 2 minute minor for goaltender interference."  It is possible my rule book is an older version though.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1144 on: May 24, 2017, 07:09:31 AM »

Thank you for posting this so I didn't have to, I feel the same. I'm fine with the NHL calling that no goal, if they would be consistent with those calls all the time. But they aren't and that's the problem. As with most important things in this league, goalie interference calls are inconsistent and allow too much room for subjectivity.

Now that being said - the Pens lost that game, I'm not blaming the NHL or the refs or anyone else. Those guys needed to play better last night and they didn't, period. This game was like a flashback to some of the first couple games in this series, the Sens trap was back to really frustrating the Pens, which surprises me since the last couple games, the Pens had been solving the NZ trap really well. Like I said before, this has been a weird series, that was not the type of game I was expecting last night.

Anderson stood freaking tall, I'll be curious to see if he can do it again in the final game of this series. Game 7s are a coin flip, and especially in this case, I have no clue how this game will shake out.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: May 24, 2017, 08:34:12 AM »
I'm not sure how goalie interference calls CAN'T be subjective. Unless we go back to the 90s and the 'toe-in-the-crease' bullshit (boy, Buffalo/Hasek sure have fond memories of that), there's always going to have to be some 'interpretation' by a human on what goalie interference is.  I don't recall seeing the Kessler one that is referenced, but to me, the call last night was correct - Anderson was shoved, and it impeded his ability to stop the puck (kinda hard to do it when your butt is in the back of the net itself!).

I hope tomorrow is gonna be good - should be, despite both of them coming out limp in the 1st period last night.  Periods 2 and 3 were fantastic.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1146 on: May 24, 2017, 08:38:18 AM »
I'm not sure how goalie interference calls CAN'T be subjective. Unless we go back to the 90s and the 'toe-in-the-crease' bullshit (boy, Buffalo/Hasek sure have fond memories of that), there's always going to have to be some 'interpretation' by a human on what goalie interference is.  I don't recall seeing the Kessler one that is referenced, but to me, the call last night was correct - Anderson was shoved, and it impeded his ability to stop the puck (kinda hard to do it when your butt is in the back of the net itself!).

I hope tomorrow is gonna be good - should be, despite both of them coming out limp in the 1st period last night.  Periods 2 and 3 were fantastic.

I think the best way would be to have 1 or 2 guys make ALL the goalie interference challenge calls from Toronto. That way you know there's only 2 opinions on goalie interference, and they can coordinate a little better as opposed to how many different refs opinions.

Thank you for posting this so I didn't have to, I feel the same. I'm fine with the NHL calling that no goal, if they would be consistent with those calls all the time. But they aren't and that's the problem. As with most important things in this league, goalie interference calls are inconsistent and allow too much room for subjectivity.

Now that being said - the Pens lost that game, I'm not blaming the NHL or the refs or anyone else. Those guys needed to play better last night and they didn't, period. This game was like a flashback to some of the first couple games in this series, the Sens trap was back to really frustrating the Pens, which surprises me since the last couple games, the Pens had been solving the NZ trap really well. Like I said before, this has been a weird series, that was not the type of game I was expecting last night.

Anderson stood freaking tall, I'll be curious to see if he can do it again in the final game of this series. Game 7s are a coin flip, and especially in this case, I have no clue how this game will shake out.

I think the Pens dominated for large stretches, but couldn't get one passed Anderson, who was brilliant.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1147 on: May 24, 2017, 10:00:39 AM »

There will always be some subjectivity obviously, but the problem is the end result, the decision. It's not called consistently. Once again, I'll stress that I understand how they could make that call, but it was called a goal on the ice, and that type of contact happens very frequently and the goal is allowed. So I think you lessen the subjectivity by calling things more consistently. Like Jarlaxle suggested, putting those specific decisions into the hands of the same couple guys in Toronto would probably help a ton.

This is the problem I keep going back to with the NHL, if that is the standard, okay, got it. That's the standard, stick to it. The problem is that the standard for that call and so, so many others continues to be a moving target.

I expect that every scramble in front of the net, with a loose puck and tons of traffic, that results in some form of body contact with the goalie and the puck goes in gets called this way moving forward. There's no way it happens  :lol

I think the Pens dominated for large stretches, but couldn't get one passed Anderson, who was brilliant.

He was, and I agree that the Pens carried the majority of the play. My issue was with the quality of chances. I feel the Sens reestablished a big thing they were doing in the first couple games, and that is sealing off the middle and clearing out the front of the net. That helped Anderson A TON last night, his D were forcing perimeter shots and giving him clear sight lines. The Pens did break that several times once they got behind but the bounces weren't there.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: May 24, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »
I think the best way would be to have 1 or 2 guys make ALL the goalie interference challenge calls from Toronto. That way you know there's only 2 opinions on goalie interference, and they can coordinate a little better as opposed to how many different refs opinions.

31 teams; 82 game season = 1,271 games for 1 or 2 guys to monitor?  That ought to work out if you're willing to accept 2-hour reviews.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1149 on: May 24, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »
Have a team dedicated to doing it.

I'm a bit confused, are you arguing the NHL does a great job at this sort of thing? Or are you just arguing that was the right call last night?

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1150 on: May 24, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »

31 teams; 82 game season = 1,271 games for 1 or 2 guys to monitor?  That ought to work out if you're willing to accept 2-hour reviews.

I'm not talking about those 2 guys watching all the games, but just doing the reviews from coaches challenges, instead of the refs doing it on an iPad. How many goalie interference challenges were there last season? I tried googling it but couldn't find nothing. I'd be willing to bet it would be easily manageable by a small group of people rather than the refs, and would be more consistent then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1151 on: May 24, 2017, 07:45:58 PM »
Boston guy here reporting that the Bruins got fucked on goalie interference calls all year.

Ok, carry on..

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1152 on: May 25, 2017, 06:41:03 AM »
An aside from what is being talked about, but...

How the hell do the Senators not sell out a conference finals game 6 elimination game?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1153 on: May 25, 2017, 07:01:20 AM »
Traffic in and out of the venue is horrible from what I've heard.  Like, brutal - 2+hours to get out of the area.

I'm a bit confused, are you arguing the NHL does a great job at this sort of thing?

No, I'm not arguing that point.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1154 on: May 25, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »
An aside from what is being talked about, but...

How the hell do the Senators not sell out a conference finals game 6 elimination game?
Well, they pretty much did. I think it was a few hundred tickets short and they were in the upper bowl. Ottawa has had this problem for quite a few games this season. Jingle is right about the arena, it's like 20 minutes out of the city and is horrible to get to and leave.

On another note, Pittsburgh isn't sold out yet either
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen