Author Topic: All these feels  (Read 8982 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: All these feels
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2016, 05:35:09 AM »
And speaking of Nightwish.
Portnoy should start a band with Tarja and other kicked/leftoverdisagreement people.

Any thoughts on filling the other spots? lol

Dave Mustaine on guitar.

Ew

You could have an Ayreon type album if you include all of Ynwgie's ex singers.  :lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2016, 06:08:01 AM »
Portnoy should start a band with Tarja and other kicked/leftoverdisagreement people.

Dave Mustaine on guitar.

Ew

You could have an Ayreon type album if you include all of Ynwgie's ex singers.  :lol

I was kind of joking with Mustaine. He's a good rhythm player who has written some great riffs but his solos are beyond terrible.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2016, 06:30:45 AM »
Except that Mustaine's fame peak came after he was kicked from Metallica, unlike Tarja and MP, whose peaks were with NW and DT respectively
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2016, 07:21:55 AM »

Dave Mustaine on guitar.

Ew

I was kind of joking with Mustaine. He's a good rhythm player who has written some great riffs but his solos are beyond terrible.

You nailed it on the head. Some great riffs with horrible solos.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2016, 06:34:10 PM »
Except that Mustaine's fame peak came after he was kicked from Metallica, unlike Tarja and MP, whose peaks were with NW and DT respectively
His peak came from Megadeth (Peace Sells through Countdown and beyond)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2016, 08:28:37 PM »
Yea, the only reason we remember Mustaine is because he went on to form another influential metal band. Otherwise he would just be the Pete Best of Metallica.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2016, 06:41:38 AM »
And when did I say otherwise?
Mustaine can't go into that band.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2016, 07:09:53 AM »

Some of his solos on Dystopia are actually really good. Also, let's not forget how good he was before his hand injury. Both his riffing and soloing on an album like Rust in Peace are very high quality.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2016, 08:00:44 AM »

Some of his solos on Dystopia are actually really good. Also, let's not forget how good he was before his hand injury. Both his riffing and soloing on an album like Rust in Peace are very high quality.
Agreed.  Not sure why he is suddenly not a good soloist in the minds of some.  ???  And before somebody links to the Cemetery Gates solo to try to prove the point, one bad solo (if you consider that one "bad") does not make him a bad soloist across the board.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2016, 08:14:21 AM »
That solo is bad, very very very bad. But it's an isolated situation, maybe he was excited or whatever and decided to smash his way through whathever his fingers could reach.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »

Agreed.  Not sure why he is suddenly not a good soloist in the minds of some.  ???  And before somebody links to the Cemetery Gates solo to try to prove the point, one bad solo (if you consider that one "bad") does not make him a bad soloist across the board.

Yes, the Cemetery Gates solo always comes to mind. That's not the only thing that sways my opinion though. A lot of the live solos of his that I've come across seem sloppy. He's worse than Hammett live and that's saying a lot.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2016, 09:26:21 AM »

Yes, the Cemetery Gates solo always comes to mind. That's not the only thing that sways my opinion though. A lot of the live solos of his that I've come across seem sloppy. He's worse than Hammett live and that's saying a lot.

His appearance at the Metallica 30th anniversary shows is what made me fall out of love with his playing. During the fourth show, Metallica brought Dave Mustaine out to play some stuff from Kill 'Em All. Kirk respectfully let him take all of the leads and play them as they were originally written (classy move btw and the final part in Dave and Metallica burying the hatchet) and Mustaine's subsequent performance showed the world that Metallica made the right decision when they replaced him with Hammett back in 1983. The solos had no sense of melodic flow. It was just a mass of notes and if it wasn't for the fact that he was abiding by a key signature, it would have been just as bad as Slayer. Hearing those solos in comparison to what Kirk played on record (and even in comparison to how he plays them live) was an illusion shattering moment.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »
Saying TA is musically uninteresting is hilarious. It has the most varied and creative song structures of any of their albums.

I agree that TA is musically interesting. I disagree that it has the most varied and creative song structures of their albums. Shorter? Sure.

But a lot of those songs blur together for me. I can (if I go back and find them) point to like at least 5 or more songs that end almost identically. Also quite a lot of the songs have those have tempo wailing vocal over power chord sections that also tend to blur together.

Yeah, a lot of parts blur together to me. And while many of their more recent longer songs have used common structures stretched out, their older albums have more varied structures imo.

Eh, up til TA most of their songs followed the old verse chorus verse chorus instrumental verse chorus  format. They threw a grenade into the structures on TA and I hope they have another one on hand for DT14.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2016, 08:08:42 PM »
I feel ADTOE should've went like this:

OTBoA
BMUBMD
BITS
TITL
OUTCRY
LNF
FFH
BTS
BAI

It flows way better.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2016, 12:13:55 AM »
?

I didn't understand the purpose of the topic.
I miss the punch and groove that MP brought to the band

I miss the sound of the band that made me fall in love with music. They sound so flat and boring now with Mangini

i agrees with u

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »

OTBoA
BMUBMD
BITS
TITL
OUTCRY
LNF
FFH
BTS
BAI

It flows way better.

Switch BMUBMD and TitL and you have almost the exact same flow as IaW.

-MirrorMask

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2016, 10:48:12 AM »

OTBoA
BMUBMD
BITS
TITL
OUTCRY
LNF
FFH
BTS
BAI

It flows way better.

Switch BMUBMD and TitL and you have almost the exact same flow as IaW.

Haha that is pretty funny. Honestly didn't even think of that when I made that order.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2016, 12:15:01 PM »
As for RYM. I use the site and like it a lot, so I'm biased, but I don't think it's really particularly unfair to DT.

Both Sputnik and RYM order the other DT albums exactly the same way DTF does: IAW, SFAM and Awake on top, a lot of midrange albums, and WDADU at the bottom.
Both sites rank TA below WDADU. You would need to employ some kind of online conspiracy theory to explain why suddenly all the DT haters came out of the woodwork to downvote TA.

Much more likely, this is DTF, a Dream Theater fan forum, so TA has a much more positive reception than the overall public had.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2016, 10:36:31 PM »
Boy, this thread escalated quickly.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2016, 08:02:11 AM »
I just listened to the Cemetery Gates solo for the first time.  It isn't great, but it's fine up until the end.  Sounds like he tried to pull a chromatically ascending style lick out of a Megadeth song and it didn't work.  That or he lost where he was at on the fretboard and had to stumble to try to get back into a vaguely matching key.  It's happened to us all.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2016, 03:31:09 AM »
Of all the songs to indicate that DT used to be less boring with MP than they are now, Wither? Or anything from BCSL really...but Wither???

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2016, 01:58:23 PM »
Wither is a great song.  Maybe you didn't get the memo.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2016, 02:02:14 PM »
I don't really care for it.  I mean, there's nothing wrong with it.  But it just doesn't move me at all. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2016, 02:45:21 PM »
I think Wither is the best song on BC&SL.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2016, 03:02:17 PM »
Despite its campiness, TCOT is my favorite song on BCSL.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2016, 03:29:09 PM »
The lyrics just kill it for me. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2016, 03:29:54 PM »
Occupational hazard of being a DT fan.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2016, 03:31:35 PM »
Occupational hazard of being a DT fan.
Pretty much. I prefer the cheese over JP crossing into faithy religious territory, however. Listening to Neal Morse and man is he talented but now I'm thankful for how little JP actually does that stuff.

And TCOT is amazing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2016, 03:33:44 PM »
The lyrics just kill it for me.

Lyrics and music kill it for me. I like the intro a bit, I like the swoll section but everything in between is meh and sounds like filler. I like the music over the big build up after the swolls, but the vocals just ruin that for me too, then it just goes into epic DT by numbers territory. I end up liking less of this song than most of their shorter songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jsbru

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2016, 03:50:41 PM »
They had the perfect balance between groove and incredible technique. IMO that's why Portnoy made their music so special. Now that balance is gone.

I respect Jordan Rudess a ton, and his composition skills and technique are out of this world, but I really liked the Moore and even the Sherinian keyboard eras better.  Neither were as hyper-technical, but they added more groove.  I really love Sherinian's jazzy fills on Lines in the Sand.  And Moore's vocal leads and overall atmosphere.

I really don't feel like there's a ton of difference between Portnoy and Mangini though.  I honestly think Mangini is a little bit better.

But I don't get emotional about it.  It's like comparing apples and oranges, and I simply prefer oranges.  I don't think think any album this band has put out is bad, except maybe SC.  :biggrin:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson