Author Topic: All these feels  (Read 9026 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: All these feels
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2016, 09:15:33 AM »
?

I didn't understand the purpose of the topic.
I miss the punch and groove that MP brought to the band

I miss the sound of the band that made me fall in love with music. They sound so flat and boring now with Mangini

The reason that DT is boring as hell now has nothing to do with Mangini.
But the departure of MP has certainly a lot to do with the fact that they are boring.

They had the perfect balance between groove and incredible technique. IMO that's why Portnoy made their music so special. Now that balance is gone.

Possibly, and I get what you're saying.  MP had a lot of influence in the direction of the music and that's obviously gone.  However, I like Mangini a lot, but unfortunately I don't like the music anymore.  ADTOE was pretty good for the most part.  DT12 wasn't that good.  TA an absolute disaster.  Who knows what's next?  I'm actually afraid to find out.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »
The Astonishing an absolute disaster :rollin :rollin :rollin :lolpalm: :lolpalm: :lolpalm:

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2016, 10:17:18 AM »
Yeah, opinions differ I guess.

For me, I can certainly tell things are different, that much is clear. I'd definitely say there are some things I miss that MP brought to the table, but I also have enjoyed the last three albums, especially ADTOE and TA, so while the difference is clear, I'm not going to complain about it. I think DT are making great music at this point in their career.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »
I love how someone posted a song that made them feel something about a point in time with the band and it almost immediately got a sarcastic MP-negative tone.  I really don't understand why that's necessary.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2016, 01:12:16 PM »
I love how someone posted a song that made them feel something about a point in time with the band and it almost immediately got a sarcastic MP-negative tone.  I really don't understand why that's necessary.

Especially when the original posters clear intent was to demonstrate he is currently suffering from writer's block.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2016, 01:18:07 PM »

Misery loves company

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2016, 01:47:20 PM »
A lot of people who treat pre-split DT as this golden era that ended the microsecond MP left, seem to forget that a lot of elements people criticize in current DT were already present in albums like SC and BCSL. SC was a brickwalled record with campy lyrics for sure.
Whether you like current DT or not, they've been on that trajectory since ToT I would say.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2016, 02:44:07 PM »
A lot of people who treat pre-split DT as this golden era that ended the microsecond MP left, seem to forget that a lot of elements people criticize in current DT were already present in albums like SC and BCSL. SC was a brickwalled record with campy lyrics for sure.
Whether you like current DT or not, they've been on that trajectory since ToT I would say.
I disagree. I thought SC was a very solid album, except maybe for Prophets of War. BCSL maybe was a let down, but it was nonetheless better than the three following albums. It's clear to me that MP brought the heavy, bad-ass sound and groove to the band and that is the aspect of their music that I miss.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »

Yes, I would agree since it is my opinion that they hit the peak with SDOIT.  It has been downhill ever since.  However, those follow on albums were still very good and closer to what I think best represents DT's style than what they are doing now.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2016, 06:20:49 PM »
I disagree. I thought SC was a very solid album, except maybe for Prophets of War. BCSL maybe was a let down, but it was nonetheless better than the three following albums. It's clear to me that MP brought the heavy, bad-ass sound and groove to the band and that is the aspect of their music that I miss.

Oh, the heavyness is still there. Just weird mixes.
SC and BCSL had some of the cheesiest lyrics ever. Sorry, but a powerful voice singing "Inventory!""Analysis!" isn't good.  :lol
Rumbo is right on this, and I honestly like Prophets of War a lot.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2016, 07:51:28 PM »
DT has gotten less interesting because they've stopped progressing. Every album up to Train of Thought, they did something new and fresh with every release. Octavarium and onwards, there really hasn't been much new or fresh. The Astonishing is the only album since that I'd say that really tried to do anything different, but that album is just not especially interesting musically anyways, the only different thing about it is the structure.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2016, 10:11:14 PM »
DT has gotten less interesting because they've stopped progressing. Every album up to Train of Thought, they did something new and fresh with every release. Octavarium and onwards, there really hasn't been much new or fresh. The Astonishing is the only album since that I'd say that really tried to do anything different, but that album is just not especially interesting musically anyways, the only different thing about it is the structure.

While this isn't fully true, I don't see how would it be a reason to make it non-interesting.
There isn't much to go either, unless they went power.
You already did a concept, a double with 40min song, a metal focused album. FII didn't really bring anything new to the table and Awake was just darker than I&W but WDADU, for me, has an even darker tone.

Where to go?
They intended to make Systematic Chaos a relaxed and fun album, and people didn't like it. So they went back to seriousness with BC&SL, and they didn't like it ether. They did a standard prog album (ADTOE) and it got better. They could have easily repeated the formula they had with ADTOE but they didn't, instead, they wanted to TRY making shorter songs, and that didn't turn out well for "most" of the people, apparently.
And all of this is considering they gave a damn about people reviews, which I doubt so.
Now, that TA isn't musically interesting is strictly your opinion, but saying that they haven't been changing their stuff isn't very true.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
You can't make everyone happy.  However, I think the majority of the fan base is happy with the state of the band. 

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2016, 07:37:07 AM »
Yeah, opinions differ I guess.

For me, I can certainly tell things are different, that much is clear. I'd definitely say there are some things I miss that MP brought to the table, but I also have enjoyed the last three albums, especially ADTOE and TA, so while the difference is clear, I'm not going to complain about it. I think DT are making great music at this point in their career.

Well said, I agree with pretty much every word. :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2016, 07:53:40 AM »

While this isn't fully true, I don't see how would it be a reason to make it non-interesting.
There isn't much to go either, unless they went power.
You already did a concept, a double with 40min song, a metal focused album. FII didn't really bring anything new to the table and Awake was just darker than I&W but WDADU, for me, has an even darker tone.

Where to go?
They intended to make Systematic Chaos a relaxed and fun album, and people didn't like it. So they went back to seriousness with BC&SL, and they didn't like it ether. They did a standard prog album (ADTOE) and it got better. They could have easily repeated the formula they had with ADTOE but they didn't, instead, they wanted to TRY making shorter songs, and that didn't turn out well for "most" of the people, apparently.
And all of this is considering they gave a damn about people reviews, which I doubt so.
Now, that TA isn't musically interesting is strictly your opinion, but saying that they haven't been changing their stuff isn't very true.

I kinda agree with your overall point.  But one thing I take issue with is you implying that for each thing they tried, the majority of fans didn't like it for one reason or another.  That isn't really true.  The majority have liked almost everything they have done, which is evidenced in part by the fact that none of their albums have overall negative reviews and that they have continued to fill venues when touring on those albums.  It is usually a minority that dislikes a particular album, and a smaller, very vocal minority that goes out of their way to express it.  The only question is how big that minority is.  In the case of, for example, SC or BCSL, I think you would probably find that it is a bigger minority than for other albums.  But at the end of the day, it is still a minority.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2016, 09:10:11 AM »

Isn't this more about your perspective of the music than anything else?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2016, 09:31:34 AM »
It's about how your tastes have changed.  But also a bit about the band's as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Skeever

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2016, 09:44:40 AM »
The last three DT albums haven't aged well for me, but The Astonishing is the only one where I noticed that reception wasn't great right away. I do think the majority of fans still like it, but it feels like their most divisive yet. On Rateyourmusic, which is a pretty well-trafficked site, it only has a 2.7/5 despite having 800 votes. On Amazon (which is generally higher), it has only 3.5 stars out of 400 reviews. Both these scores are pretty low compared to what DT usually get on those sites.

Someone unrelated question: I feel mostly on DT's side with the MP breakup, though I would like to see MP play with the band again. As far as Queensrych go, clearly the band were in the right, and Tate is a total headcase. What about Nightwish, though? That letter makes Tarja sound like a terrible person.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2016, 11:04:18 AM »
It's about how your tastes have changed.  But also a bit about the band's as well.

For sure. I guess I asked about fan perspective because to me, they did do "new and fresh" things on the last three records.

ADTOE had different vocal layering and electronic sound samples that hadn't been around in DT previously.

DT12 had an epic that dropped out in the middle for a full-on orchestral break.

TA is a prog-rock opera, obviously something new.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2016, 11:11:15 AM »
The last three DT albums haven't aged well for me, but The Astonishing is the only one where I noticed that reception wasn't great right away. I do think the majority of fans still like it, but it feels like their most divisive yet. On Rateyourmusic, which is a pretty well-trafficked site, it only has a 2.7/5 despite having 800 votes. On Amazon (which is generally higher), it has only 3.5 stars out of 400 reviews. Both these scores are pretty low compared to what DT usually get on those sites.

Someone unrelated question: I feel mostly on DT's side with the MP breakup, though I would like to see MP play with the band again. As far as Queensrych go, clearly the band were in the right, and Tate is a total headcase. What about Nightwish, though? That letter makes Tarja sound like a terrible person.

I tho we had all agreed on RTYM being an unreliable review source.
If RTYM was the total truth, DT is a terrible band with mediocre to average at best albums.

As for Nightwish, there are a lot of conspiracy theories about it. We can't really know. Maybe she did indeed do and say all the things the letter says, and she didn't realize how severe they were, in which case the band was right.
But there's also sayings about Thuomas's ego playing a hand on it.
Anette's departure remains a mistery, as she and the band have totally different versions of the story.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »

As pointed out, I think all reviews, but especially those at RYM, need to be taken with a grain of salt.  But that said, I think I agree with you.  TA is most definitely a very divisive album.  No question about it. 

Someone unrelated question: I feel mostly on DT's side with the MP breakup, though I would like to see MP play with the band again.

You know, I've kinda felt this way from the beginning:  I'm not on either "side" about the breakup, because I don't think there really are sides on that issue.  They were at sort of an impasse in that each "side" wanted different things that were not compatible.  Mike was the one who voiced that he was leaving, but when you step back from it, I think it is best viewed as a mutual decision.  The band was going forward no matter what.  They didn't say Mike needed to leave.  But if he couldn't go forward with the next album as scheduled, they were going forward without him.  So he voluntarily stepped aside.  It just is what it is.  I don't see that there are "sides" to that issue.

That said, in terms of what happened afterward, I think Mike acted inappropriately and continues to do so.  And while I understand him feeling the way he does, the problem is how he has handled himself in the public eye.  We don't and can't know all the behind-the-scenes stuff, so I don't take a side on that.  But in terms of what has been done in the public eye, Mike is clearly in the wrong IMO.

As far as Queensrych go, clearly the band were in the right, and Tate is a total headcase.

Clearly.

What about Nightwish, though? That letter makes Tarja sound like a terrible person.

It has been a LONG time since I read through all that stuff.  But as I recall from the statement she and her husband put out, I don't think they denied most of the facts.  My general recollection is that they just had a different spin on those facts.  What I took away from it all after reading both sides is that there were basically four separate "entities" in the conflict: Tarja, Marcelo (her husband), the rest of the band, and management.  It seems as though all four parties were stoking the fire and contributing to the division.  I don't think any should be off the hook for what happened.  The situation seems like it had become so toxic that I don't know how they could possibly have continued on together.  And Tarja had already said she was going to leave as of the next album anyway, so all the band ultimately did was cut her loose one album cycle early.  But given how toxic the relationship had already become, I don't see how they could have done another tour together anyway.  What I will say is that, even though I remained a fan after the split, I think the band publishing an "open letter" and handling the split the way they did was really tacky and in poor taste.  But again, as to the entire situation, it looked to me like there was plenty of blame to go around on all four sides.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2016, 01:20:48 PM »

I get what you mean, but as serious SDOIT -> BCSL lover, I disagree... a bit.

I have no problem with MP being gone (though I sure miss the "extra" stuff, the rotating setlists, the official bootlegs etc. - there's something about Octavarium in particular that gives this feeling that has not been felt since, IMHO) and I really like MM, both his technique and his personality (as far as I can tell) and ADTOE is in my Top 5 for sure, since I love pretty much all the songs there.

But there's something rather...iffy about DT12 and TA, I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's as if something's missing. I'm not sure what, but though I really like and enjoy both records, I kind of get this feeling that they "missed" me in a way, while aiming for their target. The problems are different for both records, but now I feel more then ever there has been a certain change in approach and some people might connect it with the lack of MP, though I'm personally convinced that's not the case.
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2016, 01:28:40 PM »
Very interesting stuff. I had no idea things had gotten so toxic with Nightwish, but I have seen at least one other statement from the band that seemed to be in poor taste, and it wasn't regarding Tarja at all.

As for RYM. I use the site and like it a lot, so I'm biased, but I don't think it's really particularly unfair to DT. RYM scores are just low on the whole. If I see an album that has a 3-3.5 on RYM, I assume it's a very good album. If I see anything above that, I assume I'm looking at something that is considered to be transcendent.

Most the DT albums have score in the low to mid 3's, which is all within what I'd consider the "good to very good" range. The only albums above 3.5 are Scenes, Six Degrees, Images, and Awake, and the only below 3.0 is the Astonishing. Second lowest is WDADU, at 3.03.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2016, 01:43:57 PM »

This for sure.  Not saying anything from the letter aren't true, they likely were, but mixed in with Tuomas' ego, it was just a disaster.  I'm sure his ego played a role with Annette as well although that's just speculation.  Hell everything I just said is speculation  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »

This for sure.  Not saying anything from the letter aren't true, they likely were, but mixed in with Tuomas' ego, it was just a disaster.  I'm sure his ego played a role with Annette as well although that's just speculation.  Hell everything I just said is speculation  :lol

Well, I think making a married woman sing lyrics about how you have a stalkerish obsession with her (Wish I Had An Angel) is sufficient proof that Tuomas' ego (among other things) is off center.

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2016, 01:52:53 PM »
Well, I think making a married woman sing lyrics about how you have a stalkerish obsession with her (Wish I Had An Angel) is sufficient proof that Tuomas' ego (among other things) is off center.

Sir, you just won my own personal absolutely meaningless "post of the month" award  :rollin
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2016, 02:23:10 PM »
 :lol touche

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2016, 04:05:32 PM »
Saying TA is musically uninteresting is hilarious. It has the most varied and creative song structures of any of their albums.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2016, 04:08:55 PM »
Saying TA is musically uninteresting is hilarious. It has the most varied and creative song structures of any of their albums.

Plus it has styles they have never done before.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2016, 05:15:17 PM »

I agree that TA is musically interesting. I disagree that it has the most varied and creative song structures of their albums. Shorter? Sure.

But a lot of those songs blur together for me. I can (if I go back and find them) point to like at least 5 or more songs that end almost identically. Also quite a lot of the songs have those half tempo wailing vocal over power chord sections that also tend to blur together.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:41:18 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2016, 11:36:09 PM »

I agree that TA is musically interesting. I disagree that it has the most varied and creative song structures of their albums. Shorter? Sure.

But a lot of those songs blur together for me. I can (if I go back and find them) point to like at least 5 or more songs that end almost identically. Also quite a lot of the songs have those have tempo wailing vocal over power chord sections that also tend to blur together.

Yeah, a lot of parts blur together to me. And while many of their more recent longer songs have used common structures stretched out, their older albums have more varied structures imo.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:47:47 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2016, 11:48:41 AM »
And speaking of Nightwish.
Portnoy should start a band with Tarja and other kicked/leftoverdisagreement people.

Any thoughts on filling the other spots? lol
Jatruccyundessgini

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2016, 11:49:30 AM »
Portnoy should start a band with Tarja and other kicked/leftoverdisagreement people.

Michael Anthony on bass

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2016, 11:57:19 AM »
DS on keys.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2016, 04:14:48 PM »

Dave Mustaine on guitar.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask