Author Topic: All these feels  (Read 9025 times)

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
All these feels
« on: July 25, 2016, 09:26:26 PM »
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Darkstarshades

Re: All these feels
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 11:14:22 PM »
All I see is DT and MP.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 05:27:23 AM »
Oh yeah thats the old drummer.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 05:36:40 AM »
?

I didn't understand the purpose of the topic.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 06:15:12 AM »
Is Steak your last name?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 06:48:06 AM »
Oh yeah thats the best drummer.

fixt.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 07:37:54 AM »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »
?

I miss the punch and groove that MP brought to the band

I miss the sound of the band that made me fall in love with music. They sound so flat and boring now with Mangini
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 08:45:41 AM »
Don't expect a whole bunch of 'OMG I AGREE WITH YOU!' because, even though some do genuinely miss MP's place in the band (which is fine), most of us don't think they sound flat and boring with Mangini.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 09:06:59 AM »
?

I miss the sound of the band that made me fall in love with music. They sound so flat and boring now with Mangini

The reason that DT is boring as hell now has nothing to do with Mangini.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 09:25:09 AM »

It has to do with the lack of MP.  :lol

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 09:25:27 AM »
?

But the departure of MP has certainly a lot to do with the fact that they are boring.

They had the perfect balance between groove and incredible technique. IMO that's why Portnoy made their music so special. Now that balance is gone.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 09:30:23 AM »

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-boKk8uhmcY

I can't hold them

Chosen gives me more feels than Wither.
Dude it's because the video shows the band together and it reminds me of when MP was there, not because of the song

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 09:44:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-boKk8uhmcY

I can't hold them

Chosen gives me more feels than Wither.
Dude it's because the video shows the band together and it reminds me of when MP was there, not because of the song

I misunderstood since the only explanation you gave for posting this was:

?

Which implies the music, not the band's togetherness.  That's fine though, I certainly miss some things of the band from MP's time. (Rotating setlists, a better fan experience overall) but I don't see any issues with the band's togetherness with Mangini, they still seem like a good group of guys that get along together and to me, still make amazing music.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 10:23:12 AM »
?

I agree with you. I also miss that.

But why didn't you say that when you created the topic? You just posted a video. No discussion, debate, question or subject to talk about was presented. Just saying.. it is not my intention to bother you.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 11:28:51 AM »
Is Steak your last name?

George Carlin reference.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 11:30:03 AM »
Oh yeah thats the old drummer.

At 0:44 I think he's writing a press release. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 11:54:36 AM »

Hey Mikael, can I join Opeth? We can leave right now!

OK OK Mike make the best of it. You're stuck for now.

Hey Man, do you know Mikael? Can you get him to change his mind? He'll know what I'm talking about.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 09:05:11 PM »
Take it as what it is, a joke.

Open Letter to Mike Portnoy.

Dear Mike,

It's time to choose whether the story of Dream Theater ends here or whether it will still continue an undetermined period of time. We've been working with this creation for twenty-five years and we are not ready to give up yet. Dream Theater is a way of life, something to live for, and we're certain we can't let it go.

Equally certain is the fact that we cannot go on with you any longer. During the last year something sad happened, which I've been going over in my head every single day, morning and night. Your attitude and behavior don't go with Dream Theater anymore. There are characteristics I would never have believed to see in my old dear friend. People who don't talk with each other for a year do not belong in the same band.

We are involved in an industry where the business-side of things is a necessary evil and something to worry about all the time. We are also a band which has always done music from the heart, because of friendship and the music itself. The mental satisfaction should always be more important than money! Dream Theater is a band, it's an emotion. To you, unfortunately, business, money, and things that have nothing to do with those emotions have become much more important. You feel that you have sacrificed yourself and your musical career for Dream Theater, rather than thinking what it has given to you. This attitude was clearly shown to me in the two things you said to us back in NY: ”This is burning me, can we take a hiatus?” and ”Remember, John, that I could leave this band at any time, giving you only one day's warning in advance”. I can't simply write any more songs for you to drum.

You have said yourself that you are the ”great frontman” of Dream Theater. Now that supremacy ends and we will continue Dream Theater with a new, open drummer. We're sure this is an equally big relief to you as it is for us. We have all been feeling bad long enough.

You told us that no matter what, the next DT album will be your last one. However, the rest of us want to continue as long as the fire burns. So there's no sense in doing that next album with you, either. The four of us have been going over this situation countless times and we have realized that this is the thing we want to do in life. It's all we can do.
In interviews I've mentioned that if Mike leaves, that would be the end of the band. I understand that people will think this way. Dream Theater is, however, a scenery of my soul and I'm not ready to let go because of one person. A person who wants to focus his creativity to somewhere else, a person whose values don't match mine.

We were never bothered by the fact that you exaggerated your credit in writing/arranging songs, you never in 25 years asked our thoughts before going to the studio. Not the fact that while on tour you always wanted to force us to play different songs, not worrying about the stress Jordan had to go through to change his sounds every night. Not the fact that you pretended to be an undisputable front image of the band. We accepted and felt ok about everything except selfishness, underestimating the fans, and wanting to take a break. It was agreed by the five of us that Dream Theater would be the priority in everything that we do during 2009-2010. Still so many things were more important to you. The ultimate example being an already sold-out show, which you wanted to cancel because you needed to rehearse with Avenged Sevenfold, hold meetings with other bands and go to the movies. I couldn't think of a worse way of being selfish and dismissing our fans.

Dream Theater is a way of life and a job with many obligations. To each other and to the fans. With you we can't take care of those duties anymore.

Deep within we don't know what drove us to this point. Somehow Avenged Sevenfold has changed you from the cool guy you were into a diva, who doesn't think or act the way he used to. You are too sure of your irreplaceableness and status.

It's obvious that you blame your stress and misery on us four. And you think we don't respect or listen to you. Believe us; We have always had the uppermost respect towards you as a wonderful drummer and as a friend. And very often during the past couple of years the plans were made according to your decisions only. You were always the only one who wanted more money and credit from the shows. This ”compensation and more credit from everything” –attitude is the fact that we are most disappointed of!

We wish that from now on you will listen to your heart instead of your OCD. Do not wither yourself.

This decision is not something we are especially proud of but you gave us no choice. The gap between us is too wide. And the decision is made by us four unanimously. We are beyond the point where things could be settled by talking.

All the best for your life and career,

John Petrucci
James LaBrie, John Myung, Jordan Rudess

Thanks Tuomas for helping us find the words
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:18:10 PM by Darkstarshades »
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 10:55:55 PM »
What the fuck is this shit?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 11:04:24 PM »

It's the open letter Nightwish put online (and gave in person) to their former singer Tarja as a means of booting her. Albeit, this one is a bit modified.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 11:05:45 PM »
:clap:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 11:09:33 PM »

It's the open letter Nightwish put online (and gave in person) to their former singer Tarja as a means of booting her. Albeit, this one is a bit modified.

It's the modified part that concerns me. smh
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 11:14:47 PM »
It's too long to read.

Offline arkdtmp

• Eat My Ass and Balls
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 11:26:21 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 12:13:48 AM »

Ok, now I gotta go read that.  This is kind of bizarre but....eh well...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 07:16:24 AM »
Well this thread took a different turn  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2016, 07:35:24 AM »

THIS IS THE BEST HEF IMPERSONATION I HAVE EVER READ!!!  YOU WIN THE INTERNET! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 08:06:33 AM »

I like it. Very interesting, and though it may be a joke, shows a different perspective from things. Who knows if a part of it is actually what some of the guys in DT think?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2016, 08:24:06 AM »
Open Letter to Mike Portnoy.\

As both a Nightwish and Dream Theater fan, I get the joke aspect of it.  Those that do not have that background may not.  And even so, equating the two situations could easily be construed as taking an unfair shot at MP.  I'll allow it to stay, but please make sure the discussion stays civil and doesn't take a wrong turn going forward.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:50:37 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 08:47:11 AM »
Nightwish treats their former members far worse than Portnoy or DT have ever treated each other.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 08:50:32 AM »
Nightwish treats their former members far worse than Portnoy or DT have ever treated each other.

Treats or treated?  I agree they treated the past singers pretty poorly and worse than DT/MP, but is there any continuing drama?  I haven't noticed if there is, but that may be the difference as MP continues to bring things up in public which creates drama even if unintended.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2016, 08:55:02 AM »
Not sure, I don't follow Nightwish that intently. You're right though, it seems like there's a ton of drama initially and then it fades away. It keeps coming back with MP. But the difference is MP was a big part of DT and was in the band for 25 years. I wouldn't expect him to get over that easily. The last singer for Nightwish (before Floor) was only in the band for a few years.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2016, 09:03:18 AM »
Not sure, I don't follow Nightwish that intently. You're right though, it seems like there's a ton of drama initially and then it fades away. It keeps coming back with MP. But the difference is MP was a big part of DT and was in the band for 25 years. I wouldn't expect him to get over that easily. The last singer for Nightwish (before Floor) was only in the band for a few years.
Yes, but the "open letter" was in connection with Tarja, who was Nightwish's singer from day 1 and was with the band for 10 years and was a HUGE part of what was considered to be the band's signature, genre-defining sound.  From that perspective, you could say the similarities were VERY similar.  But that is about where the similarities end.  In the case of Nightwish, no matter which side one might attempt to assign blame to, that situation had truly become toxic by all accounts.  Tarja and her husband wanted nothing to do with the other members, and the other members wanted nothing to do with them, and management was stoking the fire and sowing discord between the two camps WHILE SHE WAS STILL IN THE BAND.  That was not DT's situation with Portnoy at all, from all accounts. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."