Author Topic: Close encounters with Lightning?  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Close encounters with Lightning?
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:51:56 PM »
Have you ever had any near misses or direct encounters with Lightning that scarred the $%#* out of you??
 In 2013, we were sitting down in the living room ready to watch a Seahawks game and our house took a direct hit on the rooftop. It blew our TV, stereos, appliances and electronics. We had to rewire part of the house. It also blew paint and plaster off our walls, and a burnhole in the roof. Not to mention it traveled backwards through the power lines and blew three transformers up the street, it also scarred the crap out of us, lol!
 The reason I brought this up is because we had an amazing T storm Thursday night that lasted around 8 or 9 hours..  I'd like to hear your stories about this..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 12:57:34 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Close encounters with Lightening?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 12:58:13 PM »
This ought to be a comforting thread, considering there's a severe thunderstorm passing over my head right now.

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Close encounters with Lightening?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 01:00:17 PM »
This ought to be a comforting thread, considering there's a severe thunderstorm passing over my head right now.
Yikes, take cover!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Close encounters with Lightning?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 04:07:11 PM »
A few years back I was driving down a highway with my wife in the middle of a pretty intense Thunderstorm. I was only traveling about 50 mph and there was a car in front of us about 10-12 car ahead.

Obviously I was eyes on the road looking ahead and then suddenly BOOM! Lightning bolt drills the car in front of us.....travels through it......and hits the asphalt highway beneath throwing chunks of the highway into the air.....which.....as it all happened so fast.....our vehicle ended up getting pelted with allot the debris.

The car in front of us quickly pulled over and i pulled over to to run up and check on them. Getting up to them.....the bolt had struck their antenna and melted it to a crisp.....all their electronics were fried but oddly enough the car still ran.

They insisted all was good, i returned to my truck and we drove off.

But it was crazy because i saw the bolt hit. It was so scary and cool at the same time.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 05:10:28 PM »
It is said that in your car is the safest place to be during a T storm because of the metal around you, unless it's a convertible, lol! 
 That's a cool story though, it's crazy how loud and spooky it is when that close. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 05:53:03 PM »
Love to watch lightning, but have never had a close encounter.  These stories are crazy though, I'd definitely be shitting my pants

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 06:02:02 PM »
Nope, not really, but would like to, she's really hot.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 06:47:49 PM »
I really love watching lightning (and storms in general) too. Ride the Lightning is a required listen every time it storms. I've never had any close calls or anything, but I'm always really paranoid about showering during storms. I like taking showers at night, and sometimes a storm is rolling in with no end in sight, so I just have to go for it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 06:11:01 AM »
Living in Florida I've had tons of close encounters. When I was young we had a lightening strike our backyard, killed a bunch of portable electronics.

The last close call was a few years ago during memorial day. I took a jet ski out to clearwater (40 minute jet ski ride north of me). Towards the end of the day it got incredible dark and on the way home it started storming, so there I was in a small raft in a lighting storm. I flew home as fast as the thing could drive.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 06:36:10 AM »
Years ago, before my wife and I were living together, we were sitting in my car at the top of her parents' driveway (high hill, surrounding by trees). No we weren't fooling around at the time, but it was raining and we were trying to wait out the storm before going inside. Suddenly there was a blinding flash and what sounded like a deafening gunshot; a tree about 15 feet from the driveway was scored and smoking. So yeah...close. I thought it was cool, given that it missed us.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 06:52:40 AM »
Some close calls, but not too close. In a couple of occasions I had a lightning fall relatively near to me, near enough to see it clearly and immediately feel the very loud blast. Nothing exagerately and dangerously close however.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 05:30:37 PM »
Haven't really had any close encounters myself other than a few nearby lightning falls over the years but nothing noteworthy like this for example: 

https://youtu.be/LIC0_fDp1Xw
 :omg:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 05:37:13 PM »
Some close calls on my way home from work today.  The lightning was nuts!  :metal :metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 05:40:16 PM »
Wow, that YouTube video was freak in crazy! Nothing left of that power pole..

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 06:39:20 PM »
I have, and it was terrible. Paid $60 for a game and played the whole damn thing.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 11:42:21 PM »
A redditor just posted this picture they managed to get.

Credit to /u/evoxio
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 06:17:54 PM »
When I was a kid the driveway at my house got hit. It was like the cement bubbled up where it was hit.