Author Topic: The festival thread v.The Train Of Naught Festival  (Read 2817 times)

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
The festival thread v.The Train Of Naught Festival
« on: July 21, 2016, 02:32:53 PM »
 So I'm going to Wacken with some friends this year  :metal and since we do not have to time to listen to all the bands that are coming beforehand: https://www.wacken.com/de/bands/bands-billing/
Has anyone any suggestions for bands to see?

So far we are definitely going to:
Iron Maiden
Symphony X
Alcest
Blind Guardian
Ihsahn
Monuments
Orphaned Land
Blue Oyster Cult
Eluveitie
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 07:15:09 AM by home »
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Wacken 2016 (suggest some band to go see)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 02:41:16 PM »
Okay, I've written long post recommending Blind Guardian out of these because they're super fun live, and then I noticed your list was "we're definitely going to see those bands" list. :facepalm:

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline home

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »
Okay, I've written long post recommending Blind Guardian out of these because they're super fun live, and then I noticed your list was "we're definitely going to see those bands" list. :facepalm:

Imagine singing the Bards song with the enourmous crowd at Wacken  :angel:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 02:51:14 PM »
This point was in that long post too. :biggrin:

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »
Never thought I'd say this, but: Dragonforce.

I saw them opening for Epic and despite not knowing any of their songs, I found them really entertaining and fun to watch. They play absurdly fast, and everything about  their stage presence and "acting" enhances the absurd aspect of it (e.g. one guitarist looking pointedly bored and cheekily yawning into the audience while the other one plays a solo.) They were so funny, even though I never feel like listening to their music at home.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
Most of the ones I would recommend are on your list, specially Monuments, Ihsahn and Symphony X.

John Coffey is an absolute blast live, very energetic dutch metal band. Their music is kinda mediocre if you ask me, but it's just the type of upbeat metal that's really awesome live. Also they're going on a hiatus a couple of months from now so it'll pretty much be your last chance for now!

Aaaand.. Testament should be on the list :biggrin:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 03:10:35 PM »
Never seen any of those other bands but if I had chance I would definitely check Testament and Red Fang (stoner rock/metal).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline home

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 03:27:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I won't be able to see John Coffee, as his show overlaps with Alcest and Blind Guardian (both bands I'd really love to see) Red Fang sounds like a lot of fun! The few songs I just listened to remind me a little bit of Mastodon, which is a good thing :azn:

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 04:13:07 PM »
One day me and my band will be at Wacken, and you will go see me.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 05:20:37 PM »
Nice to see Bon Scott is coming back from the grave to make an appearance.  ;D

I second the recommendation for Testament and would also add Metal Church and Saxon. Girlschool are a great band but I'm not sure what they sound like live these days. Twisted Sister could also be fun. Is Portnoy still playing with them?

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 09:54:19 PM »
ill be there too, so excited for Wacken  :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 02:53:13 AM »
Besides of those you mentioned here's some I would also try to see:

Panzerballet (insane musicianship, a mix of fusion and metal)
Steel Panther
The Haunted
Unisonic
Therion
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline home

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
Thanks again for all the suggestions guys!

ill be there too, so excited for Wacken  :metal

:metal

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 10:54:33 AM »
GloryHammer
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »
If I was going I'd probably be seeing Triptykon and Vader as well. Not seen either live before so can't say how good they are live. Would love to see them though  :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 01:58:20 PM »
If you skip Steel Panther, I refuse to talk to you ever again.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »
Wacken is definitely something I need to experience in my lifetime.  Very jealous especially since Iron Maiden are playing, but otherwise I wasn't overly impressed with this year's line up.  Also +1 for Blind Guardian Live.  That huge crowd doing the sing a longs will be epic.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
Livestreams on arte.tv (really don't know in what countries this will be available...) - all times are CET:

https://concert.arte.tv/de/wacken

Donnerstag

16h50-17h35 Henry Rollins
17h40-18h05 Hämatom
18h10-19h25 Saxon (tbc)
19h30-20h30 Panzerballett
20h35-21h25 Phil Campbell’s All Starr Band
21h30-00h00 Iron Maiden
00h00-00h45 Therapy?
00h45-01h00 Born to Lose, Lived To Win (A Farewell to Lemmy Kilmister)

Freitag

16h20 17h20 Entombed A.D. (tbc)
17h25-18h25 Axel Rudi Pell
18h30-19h45 Eluveitie
19h50-21h05 Bullet For My Valentine
21h10-22h25 Tarja
22h30-00h00 Blind Guardian
00h15-01h30 Ministry
01h45-03h00 Testament

Samstag

15h40-16h55 Borknagar (tbc)
17h00-18h10 Metal Church
18h15-19h30 Therion
19h35-20h50 Steel Panther
20h55-22h10 Clutch
22h15-23h30 Tryptikon (tbc)
23h35-00h35 (tba)
00h40-01h55 Parkway Drive
01h55-03h10 Arch Enemy (tbc)
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 09:46:35 AM »
Pimping Elvenking, italian folk power metal band, eclectic and energetic live, go see them!

They're also all nice guys, they were supposed to headline a small festival nearby my area but in the early moring a very heavy thunderstorm ruined the camping and stage area, they could have canceled but they showed up anyway knowing full well that the stage was messed up and the forecast announced more rains in the evening, just to stay close to the fans who were at the festival for them.

In the end they managed to play half set before another rainstorm forced them stop, but kudos to them to come half the way across northern Italy rather than just saying "Hey, we're playing Wacken, why should we come to a small flooded festival knowing we may not even play?"
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 10:09:12 AM »

This.

Also, be sure to check out Whitesnake, Twisted Sister, Illegible Font, and Saxon.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 09:33:35 AM »
So just to clarify, how long until Iron Maiden's set?  About five hours from now?

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »
Check my previous post and figure out your timezone (don't know where you are) - 1:45 hours from NOW on.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline home

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 01:47:25 PM »
Wow, I came back from Wacken today, amazing! A fantastic experience  :angel: So many awesome shows, and people from al over the world. We did brought the wrong shoes though, the mud was extreme. We saw Saxon, Foreigner (they had a sick bass player, wow) and Whitesnake on the first day while waiting at the main stage for Iron Maiden. Pretty good shows, but Iron Maiden blew them out of the water.  :hefdaddy

Eluveiti was the biggest surprise at the second day, I couldn't really care for the grunts in some songs but great show anyways. Orphaned Land and Alcest were really good too, we couldn't see the whole set of Alcest unfortunately since there wasnt much time between their show and the one of the mighty Blind Guardian. The Bards Song and Valhalla were some of the most epic moments during the festival.

The first band we saw at the final day was Monuments, honestly one of the best shows I saw, the energy was just  :omg: Symphony X was a bit of a let down unfortunately, it felt a bit stale and not very special (I am not very familiar with their work though) especially since they played right after Monuments. Elven King, Gloryhammer and Twisted Sister were really fun too. The singer from Twisted Sister had a great sense of humor and Mike Portnoys drumming was of course top notch. I did feel he was a little out of place but it was great seeing him play live.

Pimping Elvenking, italian folk power metal band, eclectic and energetic live, go see them!
We did see them, They gave a great show indeed, the guitarist did made some mistakes but it was a lot of fun anyways

This.

Well we did see about three quarters of the show (they overlapped with Gloryhammer and one of my friends is a huge fan of them) while eating something. Not my thing at all sorry  :\

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 01:54:10 PM »
Ugh I want to see Monuments and Alcest so bad, especially Alcest! Orphaned Land seems like a great band live aswell.

So how much did you spend on food, more or less than the entry ticket?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline home

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
Ugh I want to see Monuments and Alcest so bad, especially Alcest! Orphaned Land seems like a great band live aswell.

So how much did you spend on food, more or less than the entry ticket?

I wish we could have seen the entire Alcest show, but one of my friends was really scared we'd miss Blind Guardian  :laugh: They didn't interact a lot with the public (at least during the first halve ) but they played perfectly and the atmosphere is just so magical. Monuments only played for half an hour, but if they can keep the same energy up for a full show than it's definitely worth it to see them live  :metal

About half I think. Beer was really expensive but did taste a lot better than the beer at dutch festivals I've been though.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2016, 02:12:14 PM »
I've never been to a 'huge' dutch festival, only the local ones that only take place on one day, but the beer was always fine to me though, and I know the coin system is useful for the staff but I hate how you have to buy like 25 bucks worth of coins minimum (atleast at the festivals I've been to).

That's pretty much exactly how I'd want an Alcest show, seems like such a cool cold atmospheric experience.

Offline home

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2016, 02:53:42 PM »
I've never been to a 'huge' dutch festival, only the local ones that only take place on one day, but the beer was always fine to me though, and I know the coin system is useful for the staff but I hate how you have to buy like 25 bucks worth of coins minimum (atleast at the festivals I've been to).

The beer at Pinkpop last year tasted a bit watery and warm, perhaps it's better normaly. I don't drink that much at festivals anyway, but I tend to enjoy live shows a bit better with with some beers. Those crazy germans do drink a lot though  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2016, 05:25:06 PM »
Definitely want to make it to Wacken sometime in my life, that live stream of Maiden was pretty sick although it looked like it was pouring which may have made for a muddy event.

Offline home

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2016, 02:28:05 AM »
Definitely want to make it to Wacken sometime in my life, that live stream of Maiden was pretty sick although it looked like it was pouring which may have made for a muddy event.
It´s worth it! I think we were pretty lucky with the weather, the sun was shining quite a lot. The only time we were soaked was during Blood Brothers (Flood Brothers) but you dry surprisingly fast in such a big crowd. Iron Maiden is probably one of the best headliners they can get, I don't think there's a band so loved by fans from nearly every subgenre.

Bring boots though, this is how my shoes looked after three days of walking through the mud

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2016, 02:50:31 AM »
I already decided that I want to go to a festival next summer but I'll wait for the line-ups to decide on which, based purely on the line-ups I would've chosen Rock Werchter this year but I outright hated the headliners (Black Sabbath and Red Hot Chilli Peppers or something like that).

Apparently some bands have already been confirmed for wacken 2017, Amon Amarth, Avantasia, Kreator, Paradise Lost and Sonata Arctica among others.

Could we turn this into a festival thread or something like that? A place to keep track of the lineup announcements and stuff?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2016, 03:13:48 AM »
Lacuna Coil is up there too.

Nothing is set in stone for me yet, but there is a chance I'll make it to Wacken 2017.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2016, 04:28:20 AM »
I've been to Wacken twice, 2004 and 2007. I always say that Wacken is the Mecca of the metalheads, just like muslism at least once have to go to the Mecca, every metalhead should attend Wacken at least once, and I've been there twice, I've done my duty, Valhalla awaits me  :metal

I don't know if I'll ever return again. Well into my 30s camping life starts to get groggy, and Wacken gets sold out one year in advance. I don't have with my job the luxury to plan holidays so early, and I want to be able to have other priorities as well, like travelling during my holidays for example. I wouldn't mind seeing Wacken again but going to a festival shouldn't require such an early preparation and commitment like a marriage does.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline home

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2016, 04:52:13 AM »
Could we turn this into a festival thread or something like that? A place to keep track of the lineup announcements and stuff?
:tup

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: The festival thread v.Wacken
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2016, 05:15:56 AM »
I'm looking to possibly get cheap last minute tickets to Bloodstock festival here in the UK this weekend as it turns out I'd probably be able to go. It's a pretty solid line up  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

Re: The festival thread v.Wacken
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2016, 05:25:23 AM »
Second day of Bloodstock is :metal I'd kill to see Mastodon, Gojira and Paradise Lost in one day (not really but)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...