Author Topic: NOFX New Track (New album drops Oct 7)  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: NOFX New Track (New album drops Oct 7)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »
Fun song, if nothing particularly special.

But man I am totally out of touch with NOFX. Last album I heard was the War on Errorism, and that was 2003! Got so much catching up to do.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 02:52:11 PM »

But man I am totally out of touch with NOFX. Last album I heard was the War on Errorism, and that was 2003! Got so much catching up to do.

Yeah that's when I think I dropped off too. When they started getting political I think a lot of folks lost interest.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 02:54:26 PM »
Definitely wasn't that for me, I really liked Errorism. I guess I was never THAT huge a fan, though I always enjoyed their stuff, and I just sort of forgot about them.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 02:56:23 PM »
I know it was just a retrospective or a collection or whatever but DUDE.

The cover for Maximum Rock 'n' Roll - is absolutely terrible.

Back to the band - I always preferred Offspring and Bad Religion. NOFX never did anything for me.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 03:03:28 PM »

Back to the band - I always preferred Offspring and Bad Religion. NOFX never did anything for me.

That's ok. El Hefe and Mel both play guitar better than you.  :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 03:04:25 PM »

That's ok. El Hefe and Mel both play guitar better than you.  :biggrin:

:rollin I didn't realise you were in the band.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »
I fucking love NOFX, favourite punk band. For anyone who is out of touch, pick up Wolves in Wolves Clothing, released 2007 I think, my favourite album!!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 07:46:34 AM »
Anyone listened to the new album yet?

I like it, it's a pretty standard kind of NOFX album but it's solid. Got the usual mix of songs about quitting drugs and alcohol, cross dressing, punk rock anecdotes etc. There is also a touching tribute to Tony Sly on there. I'm happy with it. Good doses of NOFX humour too.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:54:18 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 03:51:11 PM »
I'm really digging it. Standard fare stylistically of course (wouldn't expect anything less) but a really strong collection of songs. Probably one of my favourites of theirs, if I'm honest!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 03:59:01 PM »
I'm really digging it. Standard fare stylistically of course (wouldn't expect anything less) but a really strong collection of songs. Probably one of my favourites of theirs, if I'm honest!

After 3 listens it's up there. It's everything I want from a NOFX album at this point. I like it more than their last and it gives me faith that bands of this age can still put out solid albums. I'd definitely still see them next time they tour over here.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »
Yeah they've had a whole run of albums that, while all good or even very good, haven't really stood out. This one feels far more engaging.

I've never seen them live - do they often come over here?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 04:43:36 PM »
Yeah they've had a whole run of albums that, while all good or even very good, haven't really stood out. This one feels far more engaging.

I've never seen them live - do they often come over here?

The last album I LOVED was Wolves in Wolves Clothing, which is a perfect NOFX album IMO.

I've seen them a few times over the years. They toured last year or the year before with Alkaline Trio which I stupidly didn't get tickets for  :loser:

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 03:08:33 AM »
Has anyone else had the urge to listen to lots of politically charged punk following yesterdays presidential election? I know I certainly did and NOFX have some great songs for that sort of thing.

I'll try and post some links later  :metal

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 09:17:42 AM »
Has anyone else had the urge to listen to lots of politically charged punk following yesterdays presidential election? I know I certainly did and NOFX have some great songs for that sort of thing.

No, this is precisely why NOFX fell off my radar when War on Errorism came out. Leave the politics out of punk.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 09:27:27 AM »

No, this is precisely why NOFX fell off my radar when War on Errorism came out. Leave the politics out of punk.

Are you kidding me??? Politically fueled punk is some of my favourite punk.

I love it. That's a big part of the punk rock movement in general. So many punk bands have an anti-establishment stance and I think it goes hand in hand with the style of music  :metal

Agree to disagree I guess  :lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 09:33:24 AM »

I love it. That's a big part of the punk rock movement in general. So many punk bands have an anti-establishment stance and I think it goes hand in hand with the style of music  :metal

Anti-establishment is fine, NOFX crossed a line to just bitch about everything political in that WOE.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 09:42:03 AM »

Anti-establishment is fine, NOFX crossed a line to just bitch about everything political in that WOE.

That's fair enough. The songs I had the urge to listen to yesterday were mainly The Decline  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy and The Idiots Are Taking Over. They aren't necessarily political, more a social commentary on how fucked America (and the Western world in general) are. I should have been more clear, THOSE are the NOFX songs I really love.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 09:59:49 AM »

That's fair enough. The songs I had the urge to listen to yesterday were mainly The Decline  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy and The Idiots Are Taking Over. They aren't necessarily political, more a social commentary on how fucked America (and the Western world in general) are. I should have been more clear, THOSE are the NOFX songs I really love.

Funnily enough I listened to both of those yesterday too. Idiots are taking over just fit, and The Decline is pretty epic.  But WOE in general really rubbed me wrong back when it came out.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 10:23:50 AM »

Funnily enough I listened to both of those yesterday too. Idiots are taking over just fit, and The Decline is pretty epic.  But WOE in general really rubbed me wrong back when it came out.

Yea, those two songs fit perfectly yesterday  :biggrin: I agree about how epic The Decline is. I might use it in a roulette one day.

I like WoE but it's far from my favourite album of theirs. Do you dislike the whole thing or just certain songs? I love The Separation of Church and Skate, Franco Un-American, Idiots are Taking Over, Anarchy Camp, We Got Two Jealous Agains, 13 Stitches and Whoops I OD'd. I can take or leave the rest though. Some of my all time favourite NOFX songs but the album isn't that consistent.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2021, 04:20:46 AM »
New album drops tomorrow. Anyone else excited?

Just me?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2021, 04:54:52 AM »
I really liked the last one, so looking forward to this!

I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2021, 08:30:54 AM »
I didn't even know DTF had a NOFX thread...

Yeah that's when I think I dropped off too. When they started getting political I think a lot of folks lost interest.

This was the last album of theirs I had.  I also lost interest but not because of lyrical content, just my tastes have changed and I moved to listening to more metal and less punk around that time. 

Having said that, NOFX has not aged well for me, at all.  They were one of my favorite punk bands, but I find most of their music to be cringe worthy now and also kind of dislike Fat Mike.

I always preferred Offspring and Bad Religion. NOFX never did anything for me.

In the 90s/early 2000s, I would have said I liked NOFX more, but nowadays, Offspring/Bad Religion/Rancid/Pennywise have all aged better for me. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2021, 01:47:44 PM »
I really liked the last one, so looking forward to this!

I'll be honest, I like pretty much every single album they've ever released. But, they are hands down my favourite punk band.

I didn't even know DTF had a NOFX thread...

This was the last album of theirs I had.  I also lost interest but not because of lyrical content, just my tastes have changed and I moved to listening to more metal and less punk around that time. 

Having said that, NOFX has not aged well for me, at all.  They were one of my favorite punk bands, but I find most of their music to be cringe worthy now and also kind of dislike Fat Mike.

I always preferred Offspring and Bad Religion. NOFX never did anything for me.

In the 90s/early 2000s, I would have said I liked NOFX more, but nowadays, Offspring/Bad Religion/Rancid/Pennywise have all aged better for me. 

I couldn't disagree more. NOFX have aged better than any of my other fave punk bands. Bad Religion are probably the closest. Rancid are heartbreakingly putting out really mediocre albums. Green Day, well the less said the better. Millincolin's last decent one was over a decade a go. The Mad Caddies are still good to be fair. I was never a huge Pennywise fan to be honest. Offspring? Nowhere near the output that NOFX have.

Well I could go on. I do agree that Fat Mike can be a massive tool, but that's just Fat Mike. I just think they can still write songs that feel inspired and they have never put out a mediocre album as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just a bit of a NOFX fanboy though, so what do I know?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2021, 02:15:20 PM »
I wasn't entirely being specific to recent output, but more of how I feel when I listen to the songs I used to love.  I still enjoy a lot of the 90s punk from all the bands listed, but when I listen to the old NOFX songs I used to like, I kind of cringe a bit.  It just hasn't aged for me.  I don't really follow any of these bands actively to comment on their output from the last 10-15 years (if they even have output, like Offspring just announced their first album in forever and the first single is very meh). 

Having said that, The Decline is still fantastic.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2021, 06:52:00 PM »
I wasn't entirely being specific to recent output, but more of how I feel when I listen to the songs I used to love.  I still enjoy a lot of the 90s punk from all the bands listed, but when I listen to the old NOFX songs I used to like, I kind of cringe a bit.  It just hasn't aged for me.  I don't really follow any of these bands actively to comment on their output from the last 10-15 years (if they even have output, like Offspring just announced their first album in forever and the first single is very meh). 

Yea dude, that makes sense. I think that was me not reading your post properly. I can understand that more I think. Just out of interest, what are the old NOFX songs you liked, but now cringe at? A lot of their lyrics can be kinda dumb, but I liked Fat Mike's way of telling a story in his songs (fictional characters or not). I mean when I compare it to Bad Religion's lyrics, which are really intelligent and on another level, then I get where you're coming from.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2021, 07:37:32 PM »

Yea dude, that makes sense. I think that was me not reading your post properly. I can understand that more I think. Just out of interest, what are the old NOFX songs you liked, but now cringe at? A lot of their lyrics can be kinda dumb, but I liked Fat Mike's way of telling a story in his songs (fictional characters or not). I mean when I compare it to Bad Religion's lyrics, which are really intelligent and on another level, then I get where you're coming from.

Don't Call Me White
Fuck The Kids
Murder the Government
Straight Edge (minor threat cover)

I definitely think a lot of it comes down to their poor live performance (I haven't seen them in like 20 years, judging by youtube on this) and me just not liking Fat Mike at all anymore.  And maybe just growing up, some of that fun punk rock just doesn't resonate with me the same way that Alestorm does  :lol Point being, I think my tastes have changed but other punk bands I can still enjoy vs. NOFX. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2021, 01:36:51 PM »

Don't Call Me White
Fuck The Kids
Murder the Government
Straight Edge (minor threat cover)

I definitely think a lot of it comes down to their poor live performance (I haven't seen them in like 20 years, judging by youtube on this) and me just not liking Fat Mike at all anymore.  And maybe just growing up, some of that fun punk rock just doesn't resonate with me the same way that Alestorm does  :lol Point being, I think my tastes have changed but other punk bands I can still enjoy vs. NOFX.

All fair points dude. I've always loved them and it really surprised me when they released Wolves in Wolves Clothing, in like '07. It's my favourite album and I loved that they released it 24 years into their career. Every subsequent album they've released I was convinced would be their last. Yet here we are, 14 years after that, 38 years into their career! I honestly dig everything they've released from Ribbed onwards (including all the EPs!).

Moving onto this new album and I'm undecided at the moment. The problem is, that by the time I listened to it in full, I'd already heard 7 out of the 10 songs! 4 were released via the '7 inch of the month club' (although those versions were like demos). 2 singles were released before the album and one track was released as a single a few years ago. I only really dig Fuck Euphemism so far.

I guess the issue is that a lot of Fat Mike's lyrics have gotten really dark (check out the last Cokie the Clown album to hear a really 'tough to get throug'h album), or just repetitive. We get it, you're a drug addict, cross dressing submissive, who likes to get pegged and drink piss  :lol we're not too shocked by any of this now. I don't think it's 100% shock value he's going for, but there's definitely an element of 'look how different I am'. I think mostly it is him writing about stuff that he now feels confident writing about, which is cool and I'm happy for him, but we get it. I'm sure this album will grow on me but at the moment I'm just mildly into it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #28 on: Today at 02:30:43 AM »
A new NOFX EP, and the majority of the songs are about Mike's addiction issues.

I am not shocked.

I think I'm a Rat is a pretty decent song, bit the rest falls into the same bracket of songs that they have been putting out over the last 5 or 6 years.

They kinda feel like Fat Mike solo demos that they fleshed out a bit. I get that he has a lot of demons to exorcise, but I'd just love to hear him write about something else. I know my opinion means shit, and that he's gonna write about what he's going through, but still.

A bit underwhelming on second listen, whilst also being almost exactly what I expected. The three releases, Single, Double and Half Album are all just a NOFX sound that I'm not too into.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: Today at 08:31:12 AM »
hmm, was going to check this out, but that's not a glaring review.  Are they even going to play these songs?  The NYC show I'm going to is advertised as White Trash, So long, and The Decline albums which I'd imagine doesn't leave too much room for extra songs. 

The whole, release music and then retire thing that NOFX and Sum 41 are doing just seem odd to me.  I understand there's a lot going on with Fat Mike and I think even the singer of Sum 41 that I'm just not really aware of since I don't follow these bands closely.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: Today at 08:34:28 AM »
In general my preferences are a little different to yours Luke, I on the whole like this side of NOFX's music and I like First and Second Album a lot.

That said, the new EP doesn't feel like it really adds anything. It's so short and insubtantive. I'll give it some more listens to see if it grows on me.

I be am boner inducing.