Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 33067 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Stranger Things
« Reply #175 on: December 22, 2017, 09:17:50 AM »
Another was Will communicating through Morse code.  Kids back then knew Morse code, especially nerds who spent their time playing D&D, so it totally rang true.  And it was a very clever way of (1) calling back to how Will communicated with the lights in season 1 to spell words, and (2) having him communicate in such a way that the mind flayer wouldn't have picked up on, but everybody else would.  And also, juxtaposed on top of that, you had a brilliant way of getting a ton of backstory exposition about the characters in this scene that was very emotional.  Just...SO well done.

Excellent analysis! it's not that I didn't pick up on that, but having spelled it out so clearly makes me think even more fondly of the scene.  I've read that him and Millie Bobby Brown are close friends, maybe they could capitalize on that and give them more scenes in Season 3. They hardly interacted with each other at all, so far.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #176 on: December 22, 2017, 11:04:20 AM »
I remember reading that the creators originally planned on only doing 1 season but now have a 4 season arc planned. I also think Dustin is infected. Forgot about Hopper. I wonder if Will continue to be the "one" who the upside down continues to focus on.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2017, 12:36:25 PM »
#JusticeForYertle
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #178 on: December 22, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
I remember reading that the creators originally planned on only doing 1 season but now have a 4 season arc planned. I also think Dustin is infected. Forgot about Hopper. I wonder if Will continue to be the "one" who the upside down continues to focus on.
The kids are signed on for six more seasons and season three is rumored to premiere not until 2019, so it'll be interesting to see if it lasts that long. Bloodline was supposed to be 6+ seasons, but that went pear shaped...
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #179 on: December 22, 2017, 10:48:35 PM »
6 seasons? Eh.

I say give it 1-2 more. After that I fear it'll turn into Walking Dead where it's just going to be going.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2017, 11:04:46 PM »
I think it will go for another season or two as well. People are going to lose interest, it doesn't come back for two more years (rumored), and the kids are going to grow up. I'm in the camp of season 2 being better than 1, but I don't see it continuing in that way
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #181 on: December 23, 2017, 05:55:02 AM »
Indeed the biggest obstacle is the kids growing up. They're what made this show special, otherwise it would have been another run of the mill scifi thing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
Part of me wants to see the show move on from the kids being the focus and feels like it needs to grow outside of that for future seasons to be relevant.  But another part of me feels like seeing them grow up over four seasons is a reward unto itself and that the show should go that direction.  I think that is probably the best option.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »
I've read that season 3 is most likely doing a time jump. All the kids and teens are older than they characters they portray, and they even had to dub Lucas' lines because at the end of the shooting process the kid had grown and his voice changed into a more mature tone.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2018, 12:55:52 PM »
i started re-watching Season 1 with my two oldest sons. We're only (3) Episodes in but they are liking it a lot.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2018, 10:11:12 PM »
Finally got around to watching season two, which I very much enjoyed. Need a Steve and Dustin spinoff ASAP
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2018, 04:57:34 PM »
Just binged Season 2. It took a couple episodes to get going, but overall I really enjoyed this season. Especially when Jane went badass punk. A force to be reckoned with.

Jane is an excellent character in my opinion and the reason why I like her is because she's not a Mary sue. She's isn't just immediately all powerful. Her powers start off weak and she has to practice them, and find ways to strengthen them. She goes through some heavy shit and overcomes adversity in believable ways and its cool how she's isn't nobody. She actually has a powerful backstory and her parental history actually makes for a stronger, more interesting and dynamic character. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2018, 05:04:37 PM »
Yeah, but Snoke

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2018, 03:20:54 PM »
I've read that season 3 is most likely doing a time jump. All the kids and teens are older than they characters they portray, and they even had to dub Lucas' lines because at the end of the shooting process the kid had grown and his voice changed into a more mature tone.
This has to be adressed eventually. I mean, I don't watch much TV so I don't know how much it is done on shows but at the end of season 2 it's noticeable that they're past the age of the characters they're portraying. This shows up even more on the Steve/Nancy/Jonathan/Billy group. Nobody in High School looks that old :rollin

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2018, 01:30:34 AM »
Well, that has been the problem of mostly every movie ever. It's hard to come across so many young actors good enough, so they go for the older and more experienced ones.

That, coupled with cultural differences (being european I'm totally ignorant of how the american school system works and what are the counterparts of my system), makes me always at a complete loss to figure out which kind of school I'm watching and what I'm supposed to think of the age of the characters  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #190 on: March 08, 2018, 02:04:44 PM »
https://www.tvguide.com/news/stranger-things-season-3-spoilers/

Despite what the link says, there aren't really spoilers.  It's just a "what we know so far" collection of facts.  I guess there are some "minor" spoilers, such as saying that a certain character and that character's group of friends are going to become more central.  Stuff like that.  But no details.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #191 on: March 13, 2018, 08:45:09 AM »
https://www.tvguide.com/news/stranger-things-season-3-spoilers/

Despite what the link says, there aren't really spoilers.  It's just a "what we know so far" collection of facts.  I guess there are some "minor" spoilers, such as saying that a certain character and that character's group of friends are going to become more central.  Stuff like that.  But no details.

Thanks, bosk. Love the show, and hadn't really followed any chatter until clicking on this thread and link. Looking forward to season 3 next year!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2018, 11:23:53 AM »
Starcourt Mall!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXyju7zFwyE

Love it. Please tell me Scoops Ahoy was a real thing..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2018, 11:31:16 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2018, 02:28:34 PM »
So...tomorrow is official Stranger Things Day, according to Netflix.  I wonder if that means we will get some announcements about S3.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2018, 07:39:15 PM »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: December 13, 2018, 03:30:01 PM »
I am about to start ep 4 season 1 and man, where have I been? This show it’s sooooo good!!! All the cast it’s doing a great job

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #198 on: December 13, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »
I am about to start ep 4 season 1 and man, where have I been? This show it’s sooooo good!!! All the cast it’s doing a great job

Enjoy!  4 and 5 really have a lot in common in terms of where the plot drives the characters.  This isn't spoilery, but so true:  A blog review I read said, "Almost no one does the sensible thing."  :lol  You'll understand soon enough.

This series is such an awesome slab of '80s nostalgia, with an infusion of great storytelling, great acting, and...just fun.  And while it doesn't copy, it evokes moods and images from tons of '80s classics.  I can think of plenty of specific moments that made me think of Goonies, Poltergeist, ET, Stand By Me, First Blood, and a bunch of others.

Post often and tell us what you think.

Curious to know your thoughts on: (1) best acting, and (2) favorite kid character.  Mine would be Joyce (Winona) and...probably Lucas, although I liked Dustin a lot in season 1 as well.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: December 13, 2018, 04:55:00 PM »
Couldn't start ep 4 as my kid needed some hlp with some task for his school. Will watch it later, so far my favorites and my wife favorites are:
Joyce and Dustin (for me)
Joyce and Lucas (for my wife)
Me and my wife already hate Steve. And we think that Eleven it's the cop daughter (coming eps will tell)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2018, 07:15:39 PM »
You will hate Steve more.  And then...  So much more I could say.  :biggrin:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2019, 05:25:59 PM »
Finally, I just finished watching season 2. That was REALLY good. I love this show, and I am looking forward for S3

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #202 on: March 05, 2019, 11:52:41 AM »
I would like to go back and rewatch S1 and S2.  But I'm not sure that is going to happen.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #203 on: March 05, 2019, 01:05:11 PM »
I would like to go back and rewatch S1 and S2.  But I'm not sure that is going to happen.

My kiddos just gave both another watch through. While I didn't watch each episode with intense concentration....I got the 'feel' for it again and cannot wait for Season 3. Really curious about what they're gonna do with the story.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2019, 10:14:09 AM »
I'm so happy its coming out in July. I was worried we would have to wait until Halloween.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2019, 10:21:22 AM »
Finally! I've been wondering when the trailer was going to drop. And just yesterday we had Toy Story 4, so this is a fun week so far  :lol

I'm stoked for season 3, but I wonder if there's going to be another '11' episode like what they had in season 2. That was a definite low point of the season (and series at large) but it wasn't terrible - I just hope they approach it a bit differently. How? I dunno. Just make it more interesting, or at least don't devote an entire episode just to other mutants.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
Mixed feelings about it dropping in July.  On one hand, the sooner the better.  On the other hand, we will probably be too busy to watch it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:41 AM »
As long as there's another shot of the Red Ranger lifting weights, smoking, and blasting Metallica, I'll be happy. Billy Badass!  :metal  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »
As long as there's another shot of the Red Ranger lifting weights, smoking, and blasting Metallica, I'll be happy. Billy Badass!  :metal  :lol

LOL I hate him as a character