Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 4007 times)

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
Re: Stranger Things
« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2017, 06:25:17 AM »
My only criticism is with episode 7 and the whole 008 storyline. I wasn’t mad keen on it in general, but I think this may have worked better being interspersed into other episodes. Dedicating a whole episode to it seemed a bit unnecessary.

Here comes the spinoff!

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2017, 06:39:45 AM »
I don't binge these shows, so it took me a couple weeks to finish the season. I had heard all the uproar about the teenage actress playing Max being "forced to do an unscripted kiss. When it finally came in the last episode, it made no sense. First off, to call that a kiss is a gross overstatement. She head-butted him and the opposite corners of their mouths touched. Oh, how controversial! :mehlin Then 5 seconds later, Mike and El kiss. The whole season, Mike was essentially waiting for the return of El. When she finally showed up at Will's, it was this emotional reconnection that lead to Mike lashing out at Hopper. When Mike's sitting at the dance all alone as everyone else is getting close on the dance floor, and El walked in, it was again this emotional connection between the two. The kiss that they shared should have been the culmination of them trying to get to each other the entire season, this great emotional connection between the two of them. INSTEAD, the entire dance scene came off as a bunch of 13 year olds doing what 13 year olds do... awkwardly have no control over their urges.

So, not only do I find the UNSCRIPTED Max/Lucas kiss to not be controversial, it was a stupid creative decision that completely ruined the impact of the SCRIPTED kiss. I honestly don't know how someone at that level could make such an AWFUL creative decision.

Offline BlackInk

• Grammatically Confusing
  • I Don't Care
« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2017, 10:37:10 AM »
You definetely have a point, but I wouldn’t say it was AWFUL.
My band (Oktober): https://soundcloud.com/oktoberband

Solo Project (Black Ink) Music: https://soundcloud.com/daniellarnhem

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
Finished it. Not bad, not great. Enjoyable moments, and some very redundant filler. I really think they're just milking it at this point and it's pretty clear that while they may have had some scraps and bits of a story to tell for another season, it certainly wasn't fleshed out and I'm going to go out on a really thin limb and say that Netflix pushed very hard to get this out quicker than the brothers intended.

It doesn't have to do with the first season coming out of nowhere or it being some magical bull. It's pretty simple in that it was concise and concentrated, knew exactly what story it wanted to tell and made a conscious effort to tell that story in a meaningful way in a fairly limited amount of time, as most seasons of that length do with either fantastic results or very bad results.

I don't think S2 was bad but it was a far cry from what the original intended to do and that is pretty clear in it's execution and how meandering some of the episodes are, especially in regards to character development and who they choose to focus on.

I'll no doubt check out S3 at some point, even if it's just as a boredom killer, but it's super disappointing to see what could have been something truly original and special more or less degrade at least partially thanks to greed. Netflix is known for this though so I suppose it shouldn't be all that surprising.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2017, 02:00:33 PM »
You definetely have a point, but I wouldn’t say it was AWFUL.

I only use that word because it felt like a moment that was building since the end of season 1, and could have been a very impactful moment. It's just feel like that was lost in the moment due to an unscripted creative decision that undid a very emotional plot point that was initially well thought out and presented by the writers.