Author Topic: Stranger Things  (Read 33072 times)

Offline Skeever

Stranger Things
« on: July 21, 2016, 09:17:07 AM »
Surprised there's not a thread for this because it's getting hyped EVERYWHERE.

I watched the first two episodes last night and determined, yup, it's just as good as everyone's saying. The Goonies comparisons are evident, but I'm also getting strong John Carpenter vibes. Also, splashes on Twin Peaks.

What do you think?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Stranger Things
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 10:38:29 AM »
I was right about to start one. I finished it a few days ago and loved every second of it, it's my favorite sci/fi show (or movie) I've seen for a long while. I mean, it essential is an 8-part movie. It's amazing; from the music to the direction, the story and acting, every bit of it is meticulously constructed and is a perfect homage to Carptenter (and direct nods to it in the show) and the 80's vibes all around while still retaining a completely fresh feel and not feeling like it's riding off of nostalgia.

Even with all the awesome shows on Netflix and ones that are longer, this might be my favorite.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 10:39:29 AM »
I was thinking of making a thread since most of the discussion of this show appeared to happen in the 'What show on Netflix to binge this summer' thread.
I completed the show in the weekend it got released and enjoyed every single episode. It was a great mix of 80s nostalgia without really hammering the era. Very entertaining show that I'm probably going to watch again very soon.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 11:26:22 AM »
I love this song!!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »
Going to start this next week after we finish Hell on Wheels.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 01:29:50 PM »
I stumbled upon this while looking to see if Netflix had Shining Time Station, I watched it instead of searching.

Got hooked and watched as much as I could, at night it's way cooler. Finished it and was amazed how good this was. The 8 episode run was just perfect for it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 01:38:41 PM »
Gearing up to start this one tonight, very excited considering the friends I have who've already binged the whole thing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 01:20:12 AM »
Started this tonight at 10:00 intending to watch two episodes. Watched 5. Really cool show and Wynona Rider is excellent in this.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 10:08:06 PM »
Winona is outstanding for sure.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 11:15:16 PM »
Finished it up. Solid season, my only complaint would be how quickly it all wrapped up in the last episode....but that was a minor deal. Very curious as to how the second season will go.

Is 'Elle' really gone, or is Hobbs feeding her?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 11:30:06 PM »
Winona is outstanding for sure.

Indeed. She has always been a favorite of mine. She has never received the credit for how versatile of an actress she is.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 12:00:07 AM »
Surprised there's not a thread for this because it's getting hyped EVERYWHERE.

I watched the first two episodes last night and determined, yup, it's just as good as everyone's saying. The Goonies comparisons are evident, but I'm also getting strong John Carpenter vibes. Also, splashes on Twin Peaks.

What do you think?

Just fired this up tonight, and I'm in total agreement with the Twin Peaks comparison.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 07:30:18 AM »
It was so good!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 09:55:24 AM »
This show is very cool. Making my way through it now.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 06:26:12 PM »
OK just finished, and oh my lord what an ending. Not gonna lie, I was misty eyed for the last ten minutes man....

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 06:36:09 PM »
OK just finished, and oh my lord what an ending. Not gonna lie, I was misty eyed for the last ten minutes man....

Totally set up a second season, while at the same time completely closing out the first one. Very well done.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 06:43:18 PM »
Honest to goodness I hope this is it. They wrapped everything up perfectly but left a bit just to keep the world open and the mystery alive, to show that "it" was still there.

Unless it's written and directed by the same people, I wouldn't want another season. If so, and they have a great story such as this one, then absolutely. I just don't see that happening with how perfectly woven and straight to the point this series was. There wasn't a single second of filler or nonsense. Of course with something this great the want is for more but...there's no way it'd touch this kind of beauty. ESPECIALLY if the director(s, in this case) are/is different as well as the writers, I cannot stress that part enough.

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 06:44:39 PM »
Tio....it 'felt' like there was intent for another season to me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 06:51:22 PM »
Hm. I've heard that a lot, I just didn't get that from the ending. I'd love it if everyone else was right though and they have a purposeful, strict story lined up and written out already as this one so clearly was. I'd hate for the great name that they've built so far to be tarnished by anything else but a specific vision.

SPOILZ TALKZ:

Of course the whole idea of Hobbs helping out Elle is still there (or her being alive at all) and that was there for a reason, but again, I felt like that was more of a nod to an open mystery than a "this will be our reason for S2". I also don't think that'd work out so hot considering it'd essentially be a heavy retread of parts of S1 in "now we have to go save her from the Upside Down", which would feel very cheap and not nearly as creative. If it was a quick beginning to S2 and then something else came of it, then sure...but I'd love to see what else there is to explore in that world and what would be worth having another season for.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:56:27 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »
I'm with Tio. Everything wrapped up so well and all of the arcs are pretty much closed so another season of the same characters would be overdoing it at the risk of tainting the first season. This would be a great anthology show though.

Tio....it 'felt' like there was intent for another season to me.

I never got that. The kids were great but a sequel with them would seem like "let's see what wacky mishaps happen to the kids this time!" when part of the charm is seeing how these ordinary people react to something out of the ordinary for the first time. If it's a "here we go again" then meh.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 10:11:13 PM »
They might be able to recapture some magic, but there's no way they can top the first season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 07:40:56 AM »
They might be able to recapture some magic, but there's no way they can top the first season.

Like American Horror Story. First Season was absolute Gold.....never to have another season come close to being that awesome again.

SPOILZ:
I'm certainly not a Hollywood Movie writer but it seemed to me that the whole thing with Will flashing back to the other side, coughing up a slimy bug and Hopper seemingly leaving Elle some food.....there was groundwork laid for more to come if they decide to. Will it be as good as the first season?  Who knows....it just felt like they left the option open to me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 10:11:10 PM »

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 05:32:15 PM »
Just finished episode three.... I'm sorry, but this show is beyond boring so far.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »
Just finished episode three.... I'm sorry, but this show is beyond boring so far.

How dare you not have the same artistic taste as me. Satanist.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 11:49:33 PM »
*raises pitchfork and yells profanities*

*something about Avatar*

:P :heart
Seriously though, there's a few people at work who I've recommended the show to and they were like "dude why the fuck did you tell me to watch that?"  :lol I guess it's more niche than I thought. I suppose you do have to have a certain amount of love for 80's related material given that the entire show is basically a love letter to that era in all facets of film. I dunno, I was hooked from episode 1 but I guess I can see how it's a slow build up. But then again I watched it expecting nothing at all so I definitely can't relate to going into it with all the hype that is (seemingly) surrounding it now.

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »

I don't know if being a child of the 80's made it that much more awesome for me...but I was highly entertained the entire time. The only episode I thought lacked was the first one.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 01:55:38 PM »
Just finished ep 4 and even though I was caught up in the hype from everyone talking about this damn show I was still surprise how hooked I was after just two episodes. The feel and mood the actors and the script conveys works so brilliantly. Some of the best child actors i've seen especially the girl that plays Eleven.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 07:23:52 PM »
Ended up watching 7 episodes in row before I realised I had to go work in the morning.  Really enjoyed this.  Looking forward to Season 2. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2016, 08:47:43 PM »

It depends on your tastes. If you don't like conspiracy then might not like it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2016, 09:04:07 PM »
Some of the best child actors i've seen especially the girl that plays Eleven.

She was also in the BBC show 'Intruders' which was a cool show and she was great! She actually had to 'act' like a Serial Killing man who could live forever by inhabiting the bodies of 'hosts'....she was a host. It took me a few episodes to recall where I recognized her from.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »

You said the same thing about Game of Thrones...  Yet...here you are six seasons later.   :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2016, 01:23:23 PM »
The creators have stated in multiple interviews online that they have ideas for a second season and even a third. All they are waiting on is the green light from Netflix.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2016, 01:48:16 PM »
Yep. Good to hear. I hope they live up to the first.

RIP DTP.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »
Yep. Good to hear. I hope they live up to the first.

The interviews make it sound like they had a 'grand' scheme for a story...that they felt like 8 episodes was perfect fit for the first portion of the story. They did say however that if Netflix had asked for 13 Episodes they'd have delivered 13. Anyway...like you said, if they do get another season or even three....hopefully it can stand up to the first one.