Author Topic: Sooo, there is a guy doxxing DTF users on his blog...  (Read 17954 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Sooo, there is a guy doxxing DTF users on his blog...
« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2016, 08:14:21 AM »
I just gave one example.  They are all over the place, especially in the archives.  The Portnoy and Petrucci forum were the most popular after the official (and pre-official stuff like UACM, YTSEJam, IRC).  So there were plenty of places to go that were very popular for a DT fan.  DTF itself is not only a reaction to DTItchy, but 58, so the idea that this place wasn't born out of bickering and fighting doesn't really hold up.
You've got that all wrong. I mean, you're absolutely entitled to your opinions about how DTF operates and so on - I can't tell you how to feel. But in terms of how and why DTF came about, your claims don't stack up.

Sure other DT-related forums existed, and I'm sure they got some increased membership with DT.net shut down, but what many of us wanted to retain was the community that we had. MP's forum was big but VERY different, and JP's forum was comparatively extremely quiet.

DTF was created to keep the community going - nothing more. Of course people were frustrated with Itchy at the time, but there was no big rebellion or reaction. In the long run, it worked out brilliantly, and I don't know anyone who holds any kind of grudge about it.

And with 5/8, you got it the wrong way round. 5/8 was created as a reaction to DTF.

I'm not denying that DTF and its predecessor have a history of drama and in-fighting. Hence the catchphrase "DTF: we know drama/llamas". I'm just not sure what point you're making. That's the history, not the (mostly) relaxed and respectful online community that we now have.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 09:18:32 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #246 on: July 26, 2016, 08:28:52 AM »
I can't believe there are seven pages of complaining about a loser who has nothing better to do with his  time.  :lol

If people here had something better to do, would there be seven pages of posts from people who have nothing better to do?   :lol :rollin :lol

And the ensuing drama makes that all the more prevalent. :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #247 on: July 26, 2016, 08:47:14 AM »
I can't believe there are seven pages of complaining about a loser who has nothing better to do with his  time.  :lol

If people here had something better to do, would there be seven pages of posts from people who have nothing better to do?   :lol :rollin :lol

I'm not sure I get this whole "nothing better to do" comment (on both sides). With DTF, even the absolute most active poster (hef) averages out over the 9 and a bit years since DTF was created to roughly 10 posts a day. That's really not very much, considering how many of them are light discussion or other very brief posts. What "better" things to do should everyone have that discussing things online a bit must clearly come right at the bottom of the pack and only as a last resort? And are other activities/interests inherently more valuable/worthwhile? Who makes that judgment?

And in his defence, same goes for Caboose (as a couple of people seem to be making that claim). I am interested and a little concerned that he got so upset as to act in the way that he did (particularly seeking out quite personal stuff), but in terms of the quantity, it's not that much. It's not like he couldn't easily fit it in around lots of other stuff.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: July 26, 2016, 08:51:07 AM »
or that :ariich: or :ariich2: are fair representations of me?

The second one is the most accurate representation of you I've ever seen
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #249 on: July 26, 2016, 09:14:37 AM »
Ohh. Now we know he's watching.

That's kinda hot.

Really? You wanna, you know, do something about it? :heybaby:

Yeah, let's flash our tits!!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #250 on: July 26, 2016, 10:22:02 AM »
Yusssssssss......

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: July 26, 2016, 10:30:00 AM »
RJ's tits :zydar:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #252 on: July 26, 2016, 10:37:12 AM »
or that :ariich: or :ariich2: are fair representations of me?

The second one is the most accurate representation of you I've ever seen
:-*

I be am boner inducing.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #253 on: July 26, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »
One of the most recent entries stated "Why would he be afraid about his name getting out if he hadn't done anything he regrets?".

Assuming this guy was a poster in P/R, which we think he may have been (especially considering how much he rips on Hef's beliefs), the above statement may be indicative that he's not a republican or libertarian. I could be wrong in my assumption, but that's usually the go-to liberal or democrat response when when people bring up government surveillance or changes to the 4th amendment.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #254 on: July 26, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »
One of the most recent entries stated "Why would he be afraid about his name getting out if he hadn't done anything he regrets?".

Assuming this guy was a poster in P/R, which we think he may have been (especially considering how much he rips on Hef's beliefs), the above statement may be indicative that he's not a republican or libertarian. I could be wrong in my assumption, but that's usually the go-to liberal or democrat response when when people bring up government surveillance or changes to the 4th amendment.
Disagree on all points. He's probably not a P/R poster, and my experience has been that it's the GOP crowd (not the libertarians) that are alright with being spied on. Though honestly, age seems to be more important than ideology.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »
I do think he was a P/R poster (since he seems to know some bible passages and apparently is very determined to assault Hef's beliefs) but a rather inactive one, possibly even just a lurker. His complaints appear to describe General Discussion or General Music (or even musicians), since he actually speaks of doing covers and artworks.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #256 on: July 26, 2016, 11:55:34 PM »
Anyway, now that people have had their initial say, there doesn't seem to be very much to discuss here other than people sort of taking shots at the blogger and/or speculating about who he could be (or a bit about the history of DTF, which is interesting but irrelevant), which in turn is just generating a bit more web traffic than he otherwise might have.  Any reason that anyone doesn't want this thread locked?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #257 on: July 27, 2016, 12:14:14 AM »
  Any reason that anyone doesn't want this thread locked?

Yes, we haven't seen Lonestar flash his tits yet...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #258 on: July 27, 2016, 02:11:53 AM »
Yes.
He will probably make an entry of the thread's lock.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Rick

« Reply #259 on: July 27, 2016, 02:18:25 AM »
I just gave one example.  They are all over the place, especially in the archives.  The Portnoy and Petrucci forum were the most popular after the official (and pre-official stuff like UACM, YTSEJam, IRC).  So there were plenty of places to go that were very popular for a DT fan.  DTF itself is not only a reaction to DTItchy, but 58, so the idea that this place wasn't born out of bickering and fighting doesn't really hold up.
You've got that all wrong. I mean, you're absolutely entitled to your opinions about how DTF operates and so on - I can't tell you how to feel. But in terms of how and why DTF came about, your claims don't stack up.

Sure other DT-related forums existed, and I'm sure they got some increased membership with DT.net shut down, but what many of us wanted to retain was the community that we had. MP's forum was big but VERY different, and JP's forum was comparatively extremely quiet.

DTF was created to keep the community going - nothing more. Of course people were frustrated with Itchy at the time, but there was no big rebellion or reaction. In the long run, it worked out brilliantly, and I don't know anyone who holds any kind of grudge about it.

And with 5/8, you got it the wrong way round. 5/8 was created as a reaction to DTF.

I'm not denying that DTF and its predecessor have a history of drama and in-fighting. Hence the catchphrase "DTF: we know drama/llamas". I'm just not sure what point you're making. That's the history, not the (mostly) relaxed and respectful online community that we now have.

DT.net became DTF, but a bunch of old regulars had become bored with discussing DT, so DTF-then was basically 60% 5/8, 40% DTF-as-it-is-now, mixed together in a fractious brew. Since splitting, the 2 communities have continued down different line. I wouldn't really say it was a 'reaction' to DTF; just a natural evolution of a gigantic social group that essentially was split into 2 in terms of posting-style and interests.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #260 on: July 27, 2016, 03:55:23 AM »
Some fair points Rick, although it wasn't all about discussing DT, as our general discussion has always been a big part of the forum, and even with DTF-now, many people rarely or never enter the DT board. You're absolutely right about the broad split of different posting styles and attitudes - there was a sizeable group (though I'm fairly sure your 60/40 split is a made up statistic) who felt constrained by having to stick to a certain style because we were a DT forum, and wanted to get away from that. So it was a reaction to DTF in that sense. But I agree it was a reasonably even split into two forums - hadn't meant to imply that 5/8 was merely an offshoot.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #261 on: July 27, 2016, 05:23:54 AM »

I'm not sure I get this whole "nothing better to do" comment (on both sides). With DTF, even the absolute most active poster (hef) averages out over the 9 and a bit years since DTF was created to roughly 10 posts a day. That's really not very much, considering how many of them are light discussion or other very brief posts. What "better" things to do should everyone have that discussing things online a bit must clearly come right at the bottom of the pack and only as a last resort? And are other activities/interests inherently more valuable/worthwhile? Who makes that judgment?

And in his defence, same goes for Caboose (as a couple of people seem to be making that claim). I am interested and a little concerned that he got so upset as to act in the way that he did (particularly seeking out quite personal stuff), but in terms of the quantity, it's not that much. It's not like he couldn't easily fit it in around lots of other stuff.

I was actually making a joke about it and the irony of accusing this person of having no life and nothing better to do as we rack up page after page of talking about it. I found humor in it. I'm just as guilty since I was attempting to track his IP, so I wasn't really trying to put anyone here down.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #262 on: July 27, 2016, 05:30:07 AM »
EH, I got my thrills out of it. And no guys, you aren't seeing the magnificent 2 today ;)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #263 on: July 27, 2016, 05:31:01 AM »
Prude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #264 on: July 27, 2016, 05:57:19 AM »

I'm loathe to comment because I don't want to be dragged into this, but the psychology here is FASCINATING.   He's not revealing any of HIS shit, but he reveals personal details about those he wants to attack, IN ORDER TO ATTACK THEM.  That tells me that privacy IS important to him.  Then when called on it, he gives the tired, illogical trope "why should he care if he has nothing to hide?".   That's not a reflection of his personal ideology - remember, he's USING the personal information as a weapon, so he sees it as absolutely something to be feared - it's another way to attack his tormentors.  The only problem is that he's too close to the forest to see anything but trees. 

I'm personally in line with el Barto; I don't think he's a regular P/R poster.  Me notwithstanding, the level of discourse and debate there is far above anything he's shown in his screeds. 

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #265 on: July 27, 2016, 06:05:59 AM »
EH, I got my thrills out of it. And no guys, you aren't seeing the magnificent 2 today ;)

In that case and without further adieu...let's move on.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."